[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 140 KB, 1850x1040, OpEd-Philosophy-471237809.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
18526731 No.18526731[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Thinking of doing a PhD in Philosophy in some European university (eurocuck myself), maybe any suggestions from anons who have done the same?

On a side note, what do you think about the relationship between philosophy and academia today? Can philosophy prosper in universities? Or should we try to fight against systematization of thinking?

>> No.18526744

>>18526731
*meant to write institutionalization, not systematization

>> No.18526785

Not sure but I don't think there are any good Universities left in Europe.

>> No.18526796

>>18526731
I’m an American, so the specific advice I can give will be limited. Presumably if you’re interested in a PhD in philosophy, then you’re interested in a career as a professor in academia. The daily working life of a professor, as well as the type of philosophy you’ll be expected to teach and write, will change not only from country to country but also university to university. Read the journal articles that are being published by philosophers in your country to get a better idea of what they work on.
The academic job market for philosophers right now is pretty shit the world over. Again, this is the sort of thing that varies by country so you need to talk to people in the countries and universities you’re looking at, not just Europeans in general.

>What do you think about the relationship between philosophy and academia today?
Aside from the funding cuts, it’s fine, I suppose. I don’t think philosophy should be singled out as having an especially problematic relationship with the academy. Usually when people talk like that, I get the feeling that they’re trying to unjustifiably mystify or sacralize philosophy.

>Can philosophy prosper in universities?
Can some types of philosophy prosper in universities? Yes, absolutely. Can every single type and style of philosophy, or more broadly can all forms of “humanistic thought”, prosper in modern Western universities? Perhaps not. Although, I think if there are any types of philosophy that don’t fit well into the university system, they tend to be the types of philosophy that are starting to bleed over into art and political activism, so it’s little surprise that they don’t feel as home in an academic environment.

>> No.18527051

>>18526731
>Can philosophy prosper in universities? Or should we try to fight against systematization of thinking?
Where do you think philosophy prospered in the entire history of mankind?

>> No.18527067

>>18526731
Don't. Do a STEM degree. Philosophy is unbelievably pozzed and/or autistic.

>> No.18527079
File: 128 KB, 680x634, 1605771982622.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>18526731
Any good NEET autodidact should be capable of mogging a mediocre PhD student

>> No.18527124

>>18527051
1) Leaving aside ancient philosophy, most of grand philosophers (from descartes and spinoza to nietzsche, marx) wrote their most notable philosophical works outside of the confines of universities
2) The functioning and aims of universities have changed a lot trough history, I'm sure we can not compare XVIII-XIX century humanistic universities of Germany with today's universities that are mainly driven by capitalist/political needs (not that those were not present in earlier universities).

So my question is specific, can philosophy prosper under very high specialization, democratization, financial, political pressure in some cases etc., or at least what kind of philosophy can be produced in today's universities and whether what is produced is good, lasting, or should we search for alternatives instead.

>>18526796
>usually when people talk like that, I get the feeling that they’re trying to unjustifiably mystify or sacralize philosophy
I'm just curious, how do you see the task of philosophy today? Or is it not worth asking such general questions, because university philosophy is a highly specialized field without overarching narrative?