[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 166 KB, 960x685, 1619578959863.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
18878336 No.18878336 [Reply] [Original]

If all is truly one how are the Skandhas accounted for? I'm not a christfag i'm just genuinely curious. What is it that makes nondualism remain consistent with things? Is not my experience of one of the Skandhas independent/different from yours?

>> No.18879095

jnanies pls report

>> No.18879344

>If all is truly one how are the Skandhas accounted for?
Depends on what you mean. In truth, Buddhists are EXTREMELY hesitant to actually take the Thalean plunge and say what everything is made out of. 1 and 10^9999999 are both arbitrary points in a continuity, this is true, and as such you can't really say where one begins and one ends, which is also true, but there's also clearly some point at which we can, for simplicity, say that one ends and another begins. These criticisms of language itself as requiring discreteness in a world that is continuous are common in non-dualistic schemas. Some schools of Chinese Buddhism get away with making this explicit via pattern and affairs (which the Neo-Confucians TOTALLY DON'T STEAL to make Chi and Li), thereby allowing them to say that yes, definitively, x and y are separate without losing monism cred, but again not all schools say that.

>What is it that makes nondualism remain consistent with things?
In a sense you could say that non-dualism is inconsistent. Reality is always in flux, which is precisely why we must be inconsistent.

>> No.18879691

>>18878336
escape 4chan and never return

>> No.18879887

>>18878336
>If all is truly one how are the Skandhas accounted for?
How can they be if the one isn't the ultimate basis or provider of existence for them?
>What is it that makes nondualism remain consistent with things?
If there is no abiding presence or self, by whose awareness is there the knowing of it being consistent with all things?
>Is not my experience of one of the Skandhas independent/different from yours?
Is your experiencing of varied experiences, considered independently of those experiences, different from my experiencing of varied experiences, when considered independent of those experiences?