[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 237 KB, 1280x1077, IMG_20210808_145532_114.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
18906495 No.18906495 [Reply] [Original]

Can /lit/ recommend any books on "lying flat" (tang ping)?

https://qz.com/2019322/why-lying-flat-a-niche-chinese-millennial-meme-alarms-beijing/
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-57348406

>The idea behind "tang ping" - not overworking, being content with more attainable achievements and allowing time to unwind - has been praised by many and inspired numerous memes. It has been described as a spiritual movement.
>The concept advocates an almost monastic outlook, including not getting married, not having children, not having a job, not owning property, and consuming as little as possible. For many, this is almost the only way in an authoritarian country to fight against the growing pressures from long work hours, skyrocketing housing prices, and the ever higher cost of raising children. Lifestyle philosophies based on rejecting ambition, and being a cog in China’s capitalist machine have been spreading in recent years, and “lying flat” is the latest culmination of such trends, explained Wu Qiang, an independent political analyst in Beijing.
>In April, a user named Kind-Hearted Traveler shared a post on Chinese search engine Baidu about why he lives a minimalist life.
>"I haven’t been working for two years, I have just been hanging around and I don’t see anything wrong with this. Pressure mainly comes from comparisons with your peers and the values of the older generation. These pressures keep popping up…But, we don’t have to abide by these (norms). I can live like Diogenes and sleep inside a wooden bucket, enjoying sunshine. I can live like Heraclitus in a cave, thinking about the “logos.” Since this land has never had a school of thought that upholds human subjectivity, I can develop one on my own. Lying down is my philosophical movement. Only through lying flat can humans become the measure of all things."

>> No.18906517

>Only through lying flat can humans become the measure of all things

unironically based

>> No.18906529

A classic Waldunian paradox

>> No.18906538

rebranded taoism?

>> No.18906541

>>18906495
unironically based

>> No.18906554

>>18906495
Only zoomers could make the gypsy lifestyle sound boring.

>> No.18906555

>>18906495
NEETdom is a worldwide phenomenon. Based

>> No.18906558

Has Lying Flat been around long enough to have a book written about it? I mean the underlying currents have been flowing forever, at least since the time of Diogenes, as the Kind-Hearted Traveler's reference to him suggests. But I feel like I've only even seen cutting edge journalism about it in the last couple weeks. Maybe you should write the book, OP.

>> No.18906568

>>18906558
I don't know Chinese, and without firsthand knowledge I don't know how I might write it...

>> No.18906579

>>18906495
BBC is such mentally ill bullshit, please look elsewhere for your sources

>> No.18906608

>>18906495
when they start persecuting our NEET brothers in China we must help them, we must have a couch ready in our basement and in the basement of our hearts

>> No.18906616

>>18906517
It's so good

>> No.18906628
File: 38 KB, 250x249, snrub.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>18906608
lol i like the way this anon thinks.

>> No.18906634

Zhuangzi

>> No.18906648

>>18906628
every vocational NEET is my pengyou

>> No.18906659

>>18906495
not having a job is fine but you have to be able to support yourself, even living frugally is fine, but not having any ambition and no money and living like some wandering indian streetshitter guru is a terrible kind of life not really worth living

>> No.18906660

>>18906495
>I haven’t been working for two years, I have just been hanging around and I don’t see anything wrong with this.
Lucky bastard. I’m American. I would starve to death.

>> No.18906674

>>18906659
You’re stuck in the zeitgeist, my guy. Lie flat.

>> No.18906714
File: 71 KB, 501x467, georges-bataille-1413429764415.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>18906495
>If action ('doing') is - as Hegel says - negativity, the question arises as to whether the negativity of one who has 'nothing more to do' disappears or remains in a state of 'unemployed negativity'. Personally, I can only decide in one way, being myself precisely this 'unemployed negativity' (I would not be able to define myself more precisely).

>> No.18906715

>>18906659
It's called "wu wei" and it's an ancient chinese tradition.

>> No.18906728

>>18906495
I've been doing this, not as a philosophy but just out of habit. I live with my parents, never had a job.

>> No.18906733

>>18906715
Wu isn't a wei-ji? Wo!

>> No.18906812
File: 8 KB, 235x215, ECA96DFD-5D56-4FDE-A37A-FB79102D19F2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This is literally what 90% of people living in “shithole” countries do.
The basic incentive to participate in capitalism is that if you work hard you can become rich, but what happens when this isn’t possible, as it is in the global south? Capitalism as it’s practiced in the global south is early stage, meaning there are almost no workers’ rights, the middle class is tiny and the working class is massive, with only a minority of the population being kleptocrats kept in power through support by first world countries so foreign companies can extract their resources.
The path to becoming rich is therefore blocked for the working-class, those who have talent, intelligence and ambition just move to first-world countries, the rest seeing that they can’t become rich short their priorities to something other than waging. They typically get a job and do it half-assedly or just go on welfare altogether, preferring to spend their time with their families, cultivating spirituality or chasing after skirts.
And there’s literally nothing wrong with this, if there are no incentives to work hard, don’t work hard.
The result is the economies of the global south underperform because no one is motivated to be productive and consequently GDP and HDI suffer because their governments don’t have enough of a tax base to keep roads clean and non-bumpy (and because the politicians are corrupt and embezzle the funds anyways).
But the funny thing is that people living in those countries tend to be happier because they aren’t materialistic/consumeristic and focus on other more important shit like familia and relationships.
A big reason first world wagies are so depressed is because they feel the pressure of society to be “successful” when success means being rich but they can’t be rich anymore because of neoliberal policies which prevents the middle class from being upwardly mobile (a large middle class is the staple of middle stage capitalism and the backbone of a productive economy).
I recommend first worlders to become let go of societal pressure and just become NEETs, no point in getting frustrated and waging your life away, focus on shit that actually makes you happy instead of society’s idea of success.

>> No.18906856

>>18906812
I like this analysis.

>> No.18906883

>>18906495
Nothing new….The true ancient ideal was never wealth or power but otium.

>> No.18906910

>>18906728
Good, do NOT listen to retards who will presume to criticize you. You are doing absolutely nothing wrong

>> No.18906933

This is literally The Chinese Spirit and I applaud my chink brothers for not falling for the anglo capitalism trap.
If capitalism isn’t your innate state of mind it is torture.

>> No.18906959

>>18906812
>A big reason first world wagies are so depressed is because they feel the pressure of society to be “successful” when success means being rich but they can’t be rich anymore because of neoliberal policies which prevents the middle class from being upwardly mobile (a large middle class is the staple of middle stage capitalism and the backbone of a productive economy).
>I recommend first worlders to become let go of societal pressure and just become NEETs, no point in getting frustrated and waging your life away, focus on shit that actually makes you happy instead of society’s idea of success.
Fuck this hits hard. I'm basically killing myself over a failed art career. It's fucking impossible to grow organically now. But it's not as simple as you think to say "well, guess I'll give up all my dreams and ambitions and NEET it up until I'll be forced into a soul sucking job.
I know, auxiliary activities, whatever, there is factually little else to live for right here right now. If one realizes that every single promise of the 90s was a lie it"s easy to go mad. My brain is like a broken record here, I cannot drop things and cannot resign.

>> No.18906966

>>18906933
>If capitalism isn’t your innate state of mind it is torture.
this is a cope for laziness, failure and unwillingness to contribute to society, so says my boomer dad

>> No.18907000

>>18906966
>contribute to blue haired feminists and their stable of bulls and staid of cuckbuck patrons
Society is land owning white men of good moral character meaning top rated misogynists

>> No.18907004

NEETdom really seems like it's becoming a proto-culture moving towards something else, you know. With all the people that are starting to work from home. Everyone could start to live a lifestyle that somewhat resembles being a NEET.

>> No.18907006

>>18906959
Dismissing them as auxiliary activities is a cope for passionless NPCs

>> No.18907012

How to do nothing by jenny Odell

She's a sanfran libtard but it's alright. Some anon here recced it and I don't entirely regret having read the book

>> No.18907018

>>18906966
Fuck your boomer dad! What's the point of contributing to a society monetarily and with labor if it cannot give you proportionally back? You overwork yourself so you can achieve some artificial conception of success and what for? In order to fill up the pockets of some greedy fucks and the government? Simply work enough to live comfortably and forget about everything else.

>> No.18907086

uncontrollably based

>> No.18907117

So millennials and zoomers in China are fighting the imperative to CONSOOM, and Winnie the Pooh is (perhaps justifiably) freaking out about it. Is this the same counter-cultural impulse as the force behind America's inability to find new burger-flippers and wagies? Is it possible that Americans in the dead-end underclass are finally seeing themselves as an exploited commodity rather than "temporarily embarrassed millionaires?" Did the lockdowns and the gov't stimulus bucks allow us to think about something besides work-consume-die for a moment, and we liked it? I dunno guys, all NEET jokes aside this may be a Movement.

>> No.18907120

>>18906966
My parents and society in general messed me up so bad with that attitude I can pretty much only exist as a NEET right now. Maybe one day I'll pull myself up by my bootstraps, but also maybe not. I think I'll keep cultivating a sense of spirituality until then.

>> No.18907268

>>18906812
>I recommend first worlders to become let go of societal pressure and just become NEETs
You can’t. In America, your family and friends simply won’t support you and state funding is virtually non-existent.

>> No.18907273

>>18907117
Delusional

>> No.18907293

>>18906812
uuuuhhh yeah bro capitalism is a negentropic demon. take the actual chillpill

>>18906495
superlatively based

>> No.18907313

>>18907273
No.

>> No.18908068

>>18906495
Just realized how Racist I am against the Chinese after reading that Baidau post, I assumed none of them could think like that

>> No.18908093

>>18906495
>”Only through lying flat can humans become the measure of all things."
What a great fucking line. The fact that it’s logically sound makes it even more based

>> No.18908106

>>18906812
>But the funny thing is that people living in those countries tend to be happier because they aren’t materialistic/consumeristic and focus on other more important shit like familia and relationships.

total bullshit. for reference i live in canada and i find immigrants are always the most shallow, snaky, materialist cunts to inhabit this country. especially ME/NAs and Chinese, but Indians are no better. whites aren't much better, but they are definitely worse.

that being said i agree with theu rest of your post. i am honestly shocked when i think of the last 6 years ive spent wageslaving only to have just - finally - bought a house...with the help of my wife and parents no less.

>> No.18908137

>>18908068
Same. The references to the greeks took me by surprise

>> No.18908147
File: 57 KB, 549x720, Timeless Simplicity.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>18906812
actually based

>> No.18908155

>>18906517
Pig is the measure of all things

>> No.18908158

>>18908106
>in those countries
Anon was referring to people living "in those countries" (i.e. the global south), NOT immigrants

>> No.18908169

>>18908158
this.
immigrants are the worst type of people and should be killed immediately no matter their background.

>> No.18908196
File: 9 KB, 170x227, 1623287539992.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>For many, this is almost the only way in an authoritarian country to fight against the growing pressures from long work hours, skyrocketing housing prices, and the ever higher cost of raising children.
>Implying that the exact same thing doesn't happen here
Normalfags will fall for this

>> No.18908198
File: 63 KB, 754x721, a523c90df954c60bb327dfac20b65022.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>18906495
Imagine being this ungrateful. Your nation is right on America's heels, and in some aspects, has exceeded it. You are about to become a god, and instead of helping your ascension, you "lay flat." What a waste!

>> No.18908203

>>18908169
you're descended from immigrants cunt

>> No.18908237

>>18908203
no, I didn’t.
If my ancestors’ root go before recorded time and remain in the same region I certainly am not of the swarthy minded kind.

>> No.18908245

>>18906659
>you need ambition to be alive
what fucking meme artist is out there conning people into this shit? its funny because the ones who write books saying that are themselves demonstrably the kind of people who need to write a book to feel fulfilled and therefore cannot speak for (and don't seem able to comprehend that there are) people who don't need to.

>> No.18908247

>>18908158
fair play

>> No.18908251

>>18908245
The happiest man in the world is never going to come into your view because he isn't striving away to publicize himself or "help" others or anything. So you only ever hear from egoists

>> No.18908270
File: 212 KB, 768x952, hammershoi 3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>18906812
you know what's really saddening man? i live in one of those countries, and there's been a dramatic shift in people's (surface-level) economical views with the very rapid invasion of the internet, where they are now clamoring for the same systems applied in the first world to be implemented here, especially among those of my generation (twenty somethings) and i imagine it's going to be even worse with the next crop of net-babies. they've been tricked, thanks to short sightedness, a considerable level of inferiority complex, the technological machine, into believing that the dehumanizing nature of contemporary western society is the best solution to their problems. so many of these folks want to sacrifice a relatively honorable life into one where they can finally get their precious designer clothes & chain restaurants. the staunch supporters of that system tend to already be quite suicidal and, i don't like saying this, lacking in the human spirit which springs all things original and beautiful, and when i point out that what they're calling for will only make matters worse, i am met with dismissal.
It really depresses me bros. I truly believe that those of us who were fortunate enough to be somewhat detached from the gray, dull machinery of modernity can find a way to forge an alternative way of life that sincerely respects human life, by effectively retaining our own identity, heritage, and sense of community, while avoiding the pratfalls of contemporary western living thanks to rigorous studying. I don't want to see a future where my brothers and sisters kill themselves due to an alienation that they chose to bring. I don't want to reach the age of 65, and see the country i loved so much be continuously diluted into nothing but insulting parody, devoid of any real value.
I really love human beings, not just those with whom i share my blood & land, but anybody who is earnestly trying to make it. I feel a lot of grief when i read about westerners losing all hope due to the incredibly sad nature of their environment, so the grief will see a tenfold increase when i witness the last few bastions of respect have the soul choked out of them by that which spits a radioactive phlegm on dignity, which is globalism.

>> No.18908286

>>18907004
Rising NEETdom is a function of an economic turning point. As >>18906812 pointed out, upwards mobility has become practically nonexistent for the masses. The elites know this can only lead to violence and thus will be forced to implement UBI. The path towards AI that can completely displace human labour has never been clearer. Ironically, code monkeys will be among the first to be displaced along with all other labour done on computers. With productive AI a reality, the markets will begin to take robotics seriously and we can expect orders of magnitudes more investment flooding into the field. This will lead to rapid innovation and robots with degrees of freedom far exceeding humans. The supply of nonhuman labour will increase exponentially and there will in fact be nothing *else* for humans to do but lie flat. All this by 2050, 2070 at a stretch

>> No.18908298

>>18908270
What country are you from fren?

>> No.18908331

>>18908270
It is hard to argue with a system which has resulted in the surge of luxuries and living standards all around the world. I recognize that something is lost when modernity takes over, but people have chosen and will continue to choose it. Material comforts and material happiness are hard to turn down.

>> No.18908340

>>18907018
I agree with this and the consensus of this thread but be warned: an idle mind is the Devil’s playground. You must develope good hobbies and things to do with your free time that keep you busy and positive otherwise you will undoubtedly become sick. I learned this fast.

>> No.18908353

>>18908298
Algeria. I guess the geographic (and somewhat cultural, quite frankly) proximity to the factories of global bullshittery makes the aforementioned shift very understandable.
>>18908331
Of course. The material promises satisfy the primal cries, and said satisfaction can tend to shut the roads towards other forms of fulfillment, especially when that sort of self reflection is discouraged, or rather, deflected.

>> No.18908378

>>18908286
You have way too much faith in technology and AI. Unless we get a true general AI, which would be a true step forward and impossible to predict when it would occur, AI will remain marginal and labour will not be displaced.

>> No.18908413

>>18906812
This is one of the most succinct summaries of the modern economy that I've seen. Absolutely correct, though I'd say people should instead work a career they want, rather than what pays the most. Still be happy, but find a way to do it that at least puts a roof over your head and contributes to something worthwhile, instead of being a leech. That (for any good person) will add additional value and happiness to your life.

>>18906959
Maybe the career is only failed for now. Put it on the backburner, do it on your spare time, but find somewhere else to get income. You might find a truer calling in that other domain, or at least get new experiences and inspiration to take back to your art.

>>18906966
Yeah, I've heard that too. They drank too much Flavor Aid though, or are inherently greedy people.
>>18907018
>>18908340
These are correct.

>>18908106
They are when they just came from a shithole that trained them to be that way, sure. But in my experience the children that grow up in the new country are halfway to native outlook, and in two generations, they'll openly bemoan how insane their immigrant grandparents' views are. It's a process.

>>18908147
This is the way it should be, except you should also do a little more than bare necessity. Society moves forward from the extra work, and you need a buffer (if his boat broke the next day, he'd be fucked unless he had some cash saved up).

>>18908270
You're hitting the nail on the head. I hope you guys hold out. It's an uphill battle though, because stronger countries will always try to infiltrate and dominate the economies of others in order to wageslave the population and get resources. Media is a big tool here, illustrating all of the material wealth available to first-worlders, while often downplaying the spiritual cost. At least some modern works highlight the bleak reality, hopefully they spread faster. Then again, most people in the first world don't see it yet either.

>> No.18908419

>>18908251
Reading books is consuming the residue of someone else's masturbation

>> No.18908430

>>18908419
good thing i'm a happy slut

>> No.18908469

>>18908413
it is stated that he "caught enough fish for the day", so he wouldn't be fucked if his boat broke.

>> No.18908477

>>18908413
>find somewhere else to get income
The only work available for me is call center shit or amazon warehouse shit. If I get in there I will kill myself. I know I will because I've already done it. I cannot put anything in the backburner because I need this to stay alive. And no I cannot delude myself that this failure is temporary, I know at this point that it's no use. I just need this to keep my head busy or I'll go insane but I'm starting to think "what's the point? what's the point?" and it's driving me insane, but I also cannot just force myself to decide to do something else. Every time I try to bury this part of me it forces itself back to the surface. It's a nightmare.

>> No.18908485

>>18907012
I just skimmed her 2019 XOXO talk and she seemed pretty annoying, although it didn't deal with the book much, so I'll reserve judgment on that.

>>18908286
>>18908378
Yeah, I agree. Humans are cheap as fuck, and getting less valuable all the time. Robotics will keep moving forward, but it will be a while before humans are supplanted to any major degree. Also, you treat the elites as being much more benign than they are. Once all those spare humans become not economically worth keeping around, why would they? It's easier to kill them off en masse, or let them die, than give up all of your wealth to them in the form of UBI. There's no incentive to support the masses outside of human decency, and that isn't really found in spades among the elites (or any hypercapitalist).
When textile factories in Bangladesh get worker safety measures passed and the cost of a shirt doubles, do you think the clothing companies send them congratulatory fruit baskets? No, they shut down operations and move to a country where cheaper labor is available. Then, those earlier workers have to fight to stay employed by finding contracts elsewhere. It's a race to the bottom if you're not the one holding the cash.
First world countries would rather send aid that makes no significant difference rather than lasting support that would risk taking the yoke of the recipients. They'd rather take tax dollars to manufacture and ship medicines and food to Africa, rather than use those funds to promote safety, education, self-sustaining agriculture, or disease eradication. Obviously, I'm being a little hyperbolic here to prove a point, but it's true in broad strokes.

>>18908331
You don't think that surge was just due to technology? There was really only one other major economic system at play, and it was almost universally controlled by brutal authoritarian regimes, which traditionally have poor long-term success rates.

>>18908469
I guess it's unclear; I interpreted it as "I made enough to fund myself for the immediate future, tomorrow is tomorrow's problem". If his "enough" factors in a reasonable safety factor, then yeah, he's rocking it.

>>18908477
Hmm, then work part-time? And there isn't more meaningful work, like with a non-profit, or as a teacher or public servant or something? I trust you, I just don't want you to convince yourself that the only jobs that exist are wageslave soul-crushing bullshit.

>> No.18908529

>>18908485
>Hmm, then work part-time?
They usually hire much younger people for those. Certainly the only jobs available here are soul-crushing bullshit because they're the only jobs I can land.
I was thinking today while doing the dishes of all the shit I've taken as a kid, all the vicious bullying and all the insults and mockery. I thought it was because I was ill, I always had terrible health. I remember that even then I thought "I'll show 'em, I'll show 'em". I thought that one day I would triumph over them, because I was "better", because I would study and do my best and I would be rewarded. Instead all those people are now happy and functioning while I went on broken beyond repair and achieved nothing. Every promise fell flat. I realized halfway in college that I wasn't going to be anything. Things had never changed since those early days where I was nothing. I was conned into an institution that existed as a money sink and nothing else.
The only thing that made sense to me was abandoning everything and throwing what was left of my life on something I really loved and I failed. There's nothing left for me to do but lay down. That's what I'm doing lately, I just waste away in bed. Sometimes I feel I'm close to just dying on my own, I've lost every shred of my will to live. I go on by inertia because I don't want to hurt my family like this.

>> No.18908544

>>18908529
find something higher than yourself. you are self-obsessed and that's your only problem

>> No.18908598

>>18908529
>they're the only jobs I can land
>I wasn't going to be anything
>I failed. There's nothing left for me
That sounds very fatalistic. I realize this is more logical than emotional, but you'll need to consciously recognize that your story only ends if you never get back out of that bed. Trying anything else at least keeps the story moving forward. You'll either:
1) succeed at something new, in which case, great
2) continue failing until you achieve 1, which will suck, but eventually, great
3) continue failing forever, which sucks the most, but at least makes your family happy that you're trying
4) you don't even try, failing by default, which makes you and your family sad
>>18908544
I pretty much agree with this. Do something even if it doesn't have an immediate pay-off. Like, if you enjoy nature, maybe join some kind of trash pick-up volunteer group in your area. Eventually those people will see that you're a decent guy who means well and is lost, and maybe one of them will hear of an opening somewhere you can go for. It's not that much of a stretch, and it will at least give some kind of purpose to your days that you can make meaningful progress toward.
I know it's tough to actually stand up and do these things because it's totally overwhelming, but it has to start with you (eventually) realizing it's what has to be done.

>> No.18908604

>>18908529
I don't know if this means anything, but I will pray for you. I have been here and I understand to some extent the hell of existing like this. I recommend seeking out help, either from family or a psychiatrist if possible. I say this because when I was in a sort of similar state, my thinking took on such a position of hopelessness that it felt even ideological, and there was some well of gravity which always seemed to return me to the "party line" of despair and hopelessness. It felt even sort of "sickly sweet" to remain with those thoughts, perhaps similar in nature to gambling addicts who derive pleasure even from losing money at the tables. I went on antidepressants, which did improve my quality of life, although I don't know to what extent they'd help you, and granted I am likely in a much more privileged position than yourself. So all I can say is that I truly wish I could help you.

>> No.18908609

>>18906812
>I recommend first worlders to become let go of societal pressure and just become NEETs, no point in getting frustrated and waging your life away, focus on shit that actually makes you happy instead of society’s idea of success.
I left a fancy career to povertyNEET off of investment income. My peers think I’m nuts and I seem like a loser to them, but I regret nothing.

>> No.18908614

>>18908544
>you are self-obsessed
No shit, I grew up on nothing. No friends, no family, everyone was absent. Of fucking course I'm self-obsessed. I was the only person I could count on, or at least that's what I thought before I realized that I wasn't meant to achieve shit.
But what I was trying to say is that once you let any modern flavor of ambition shape you it's very difficult to scale back. It's very difficult to say "oh well I'll just stop having ambitions and I'll just NEET my days away and jerk off while I smoke weed and watch cartoons (because why the fuck does it matter at this point that you cultivate anything in your life if you're going to do fuck all with it)" I cannot imagine being at peace in this situation. There is no way in the world I will be content with my life. I will not have some kind of traditional family, I don't even want it. I am so burned out on relationships just fizzling out for no reason that I have stopped feeling love. I cannot count on peace of the senses, everything is constantly noisy and terrible no matter where you go. Everything is polluted in some way. I cannot count on people because they're morally empty shells and every time I gave anyone a chance I was burned. What the fuck should I count on? The only way I can imagine living like this is by just doing drugs and fully embracing hedonism, just jerking off and getting wasted. But I cannot do that, I know I'd feel empty doing that.
And I'm sure that all the people joking that being NEET is based and redpilled feel a similar dissatisfaction about this state of being. It's difficult to be without a role anywhere.

>> No.18908618

>>18908609
>investment income
what'd you do?

>> No.18908627

>>18908068
NEEThood is a universal calling.

>> No.18908628

>>18908618
he just said he had a career before. it doesn't matter what, does it? fuck off to biz

>> No.18908630

>>18908628
seethe nigger

>> No.18908632

>>18908604
>I went on antidepressants, which did improve my quality of life
I did antidepressants for 2 or 3 years and I wish I never did. I don't even remember for how long, because that period is a giant hole in my memory. I am "treatment resistant" because my problem is ideological, not chemical. The medicines made me feel permanently worse and I feel like part of my soul has been taken from me even today. Never again, I will never seek help in mental healthcare again. They are a bunch of scumbags. All that they want is so that you are functional enough to work some slave job while feeling nothing. If they could simply chop your head off and wire you so that your body could be used as a meat robot they'd do exactly that. Fuck antidepressants and mental health.

>> No.18908634

>>18908106
The ones that come over are just a selection of the most status-seeking, backbiting, soulless individuals of the source country. Not necessarily representative.

>> No.18908642

>>18908614
you just ignored the other part of my post conveniently. Also it's funny that you spout specifically Buddhist rhetoric about how you can't count on the world or the senses, but you didn't acknowledge - even to reject - their offered solution to this state

>> No.18908643

Wasn’t the church of the sub genius on to something similar with the promotion of “slack” as the ultimate virtue? Back in the early 80s.

>> No.18908646

>>18908251
Exactly. Bombadil paradox.

>> No.18908651

>>18908630
I'm the nigger but you think because a guy on here is going to say he was in "oil and gas" or what he invested in you're going to suddenly know the "trick" to success .."oil and gas!" and become rich. No, THAT's 'nigger'

>> No.18908659

>>18908651
nah I was just curious
seethe

>> No.18908663

>>18908634
100% on point. Anybody who has lived in their countries of origin knows that most of those immigrants chose to be useless in both environments. It's similar to when american go to a place like japan because ''DUDE im gonna get so much yellow pussy and see wacky stuff whoa'', when the reality of the american spirit is much, much more different.
The jew fears nuances and complexities (as opposed to compliactions), anon.

>> No.18908667

>>18908643
that was a glowie-funded satirical circle. not even joking, it's true.

>> No.18908671

>>18906495
>just don't try bro
>just roll over bro
Excellent culture to export into other countries, weakening their will and making them easier to exploit.

>> No.18908674

>>18908642
I cannot believe in the supernatural. My family was largely nonreligious and I had a bad experience with religion. I cannot believe in God or reincarnation or anything like that. I have tried and quite desperately so to find this higher something. The only thing I believe is that this state of things is just wrong. People aren't meant to live like this. People shouldn't be given ambitions as their life's purpose. It's not something you can give up. Once you are fed this shit and you're told over and over that there is no God and there is no Nation and all identity is bad and you see that everyone is a piece of shit and there is no stability anywhere and the only way to find meaning is to just "work" on something, but no matter what you do you have to fit a system that may simply have no use for you, what the fuck is left? There's nothing left, not even rejection because you are entirely wired to have that as your life's purpose. It's really just a religion, a deep seated religion that you will die for. Asking someone who was born and bred in this kind of place to drop ambition and the idea of "work" as the only relief to life is like asking a religious fundamentalist to give up God or die. Of course he'll choose to die.

>> No.18908689
File: 43 KB, 250x336, BatailleGeorges-1952-StudioHarcourt-MinisterioDeCultura-250.A.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>18906714
Based. Real sovereignty is the quietude of non-work

>> No.18908698

>>18908674
>i've tried to find this higher something
What if it was higher not because it was supernatural but was just outside you. 'Aboveness' here is only coming from looking up from the downward view of your self. Is there not a single person or animal or anything in the world that you "wish well"? That you hope is happy?
What if you aided them in that. Not because it's a purpose but because at the end of that day you reflect on what you did and you feel good. Then you do it again and feel good again

>> No.18908705

>>18908598
It's a different story when you've failed at several things for decades. I'm tired. I was highly motivated the first time I failed, and the second and the third. But years and years of failure while all doors slowly start closing simply because of your age and the lack of any success to confirm that you're worth anything, that's hard to keep up. It's all very nice on paper, sure I'll just keep failing forever. I can watch a few motivational speeches by good old Arnold if you want. I guess you're like 20 or your very early 20s, that state isn't forever.
A very horrible truth about life that nobody tells you is that not only you have limited opportunities but you are very very short on time and you only have one hand you can play. You can't just keep drawing forever until you get an ace. It doesn't work like this. If you fail to get started within the right timeframe you're just fucked. And it's not because of the world but because your energies are limited and your motivation isn't infinite unless you are literally insane.

>> No.18908717

>>18908632
Exactly, modern psychiatry is a management tool. I was put on SSRIs as a kid and I’d probably kill the people that did it in Minecraft if I could magically get away with it.

>> No.18908720

>>18908698
>Is there not a single person or animal or anything in the world that you "wish well"? That you hope is happy?
Yes of course but anon this is not enough to keep oneself alive. This is all theory and very little practice. Do you think all suicidal people hate their family and they don't care what happens to them? It's very difficult to subsist on this alone. You can put off suicide for a while on the basis of "doing it for your family" but if that's really all that holds you back you're just postponing.

>> No.18908729

Chinks even stealing and pretending they invented Lay Down and Rot lmao. They can't do anything but steal and copy, what a terminally uncreative people.

>> No.18908730

>>18908729
Go away miscer

>> No.18908732

>>18908674
So you're saying that you suffer from workism even though you know workism is wrong, because it was indoctrinated in you. This is pretty weird and I don't think anyone can truly be in that position "I hate my beliefs I was forced to have!" it could only really mean that you haven't been able to contemplate an alternative to them so it seems like workism or nothing. In your other post it sounds like you only see two options "work for meaning" or self-indulgent drug addict style hedonism. I feel like these are not the two options

>> No.18908741

>>18908705
Unless you’re like 70 this is doomer bullshit.

>> No.18908747

>>18906959
>It's fucking impossible to grow organically now.
lul never before has it been so easy to reach out to billions of people. it was never more or less organic back then, people had to be let known by some means first before word of mouth started going. now it's just amplified thousand fold, so better work till your shit is worth looking at. giving up is never going to get you anywhere

>> No.18908749

>>18908198
kys yourself my guy

>> No.18908761

>>18908720
>Suicide
I didn't read that far back I thought this guy is just laying flat but not enjoying it.

Still,
>enough to keep oneself alive.
There's two different situations here. Someone who suffers strong negative emotions and wants it to end - I don't know about this, I can't relate - I found it very easy to snap out of my longtime negative emotional perceptions by doing some mediation but others insist it doesn't work for them - and someone who is indifferent but can't sum up a reason to work to earn their food to keep themselves going.

The way I hashed it out recently is that there's no meaning at the bottom of any chain of "but why". Absurdism i guess, we want meaning and there isn't any so what do you do? Well I know that I feel good when I don't regret my actions so i'm perfectly happy to go forward with that as the basis for decisions. And the most 'non-remorse' generation comes from acting for anything outside yourself so that's what i'm working toward even if day to day so far it's just doing the chores i've been asked, when i don't feel like it.

>> No.18908762

>>18908659
I don’t really want to derail with it since it’s not reproducible and off-topic. I built a stock trading bot a few years ago and maxed out any credit card I could get to dump into it. I was just going to kill myself if it didn’t work out, and it’s not as much money as it sounds like, just enough to not work until the next crash.

>> No.18908786

>>18908762
lmao cool

>> No.18908798

>>18908747
>lul never before has it been so easy to reach out to billions of people.
If you get funding and have a marketing budget sure, or if you have connections somewhere who can shill you into relevance, sure. If you think you can produce something and "put it out there" you are completely delusional or you are talking about sticking shit up your ass on camera.

>> No.18908815

>>18908798
What kind of art do you make?

>> No.18908844

>>18908815
This only matters if you want to follow with "you should just stop doing what you are dedicating yourself to and do this other thing instead because this is what people want" which isn't any different than "just go work in a call center and grit your teeth for half your day then do what you want in your spare time". The problem isn't getting to make money or having a career, the problem is having a purpose that is in harmony with your own will. It's explicitly about living off something that you want to do, and not something that you hate doing. If you manage to do this then it means that the world needs what you want to do, this is a good thing. It means that your purpose is good. If my life's purpose is worth less than my hours in a fucking call center then there's no point.

>> No.18908858

>>18908844
I wasn’t intending to give advice about it; I was just curious whether it was writing or music or something visual.

>> No.18908878
File: 25 KB, 400x400, doing nothing.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Lying flat and doing nothing is one of the best meditation methods.

>"I was surprised that the activity of the brain was greatest when the person's thoughts wandered freely on their own, rather than when the brain worked to be more strongly focused," said Xu. "When the subjects stopped doing a specific task and were not really doing anything special, there was an increase in activity in the area of the brain where we process thoughts and feelings. It is described as a kind of resting network. And it was this area that was most active during nondirective meditation."
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/05/140515095545.htm

>> No.18908890

>>18908858
It doesn't matter, it's the same for everything

>> No.18908894

>>18908674
you need some spiritual experiences
try doing nothing for a few days
stay away from any kind of media, stay away from the internet
don't touch any electronic device
empty a room of all objects (I mean every object except the walls) and stay there
don't leave your house, don't even leave the room if you can
eat as little as you can, and only eat bread and cheese
don't talk to anyone, not even to yourself
don't even think

The Bliss will come, if you let yourself be ready for it.

>> No.18908897

>>18906495
I'd just like to say that you can participate in the rat race without falling for it. Much like the runner who arrived last and is still happy, the rat race can be a source of meaning, happiness, and spirituality. It is rare to do so, and for most it is an unhappy place, but not necessarily so. Some enjoy running in itself.

>> No.18908899

>>18908894
Don't need to go off the walls, brother. Just go to a walk with your phone at home and meditate for 10 minutes. Baby steps. Enlightenment isn't a race

>> No.18908915

>>18908741
haha I know about a guy who got his M.D. when he was 74 years old
I guess this still apllies though, since he must have started at 69 at the earliest

>> No.18908918

>>18908894
this is true except for the word spiritual which is unnecessary at best

>> No.18908934

>>18908894
you are making a lot of assumptions about who I am and how I live. I'm far from a media addicted hedonist and I only post here when I have to rant.

>> No.18908956

>>18908674
I was in a similar boat to you, I think. Egoism helped me a lot, understanding that the truth is that we choose our values. Inside my soul I am satisfied by hard work, because I was brought up with American and Russian hard work values. I am satisfied when I work like the horse in animal farm - give me more work and no pay, and my soul is happy.
Well, maybe for you that's ambition. I found that because I am the one that decides my decisions and values, I can view this thing that I like, working hard, as just a thing I like - like eating ice cream, or playing soccer. My soul is also very satisfied with a good game of soccer, but I've come to learn not to drop everything off and go play, know what I'm saying? Same with work. All around me people have told me that work is the final deciding factor, and they lied to me, simple as. I will still like work, much as I like soccer, but I no longer believe in the delusion that is the only thing that matters.

>> No.18908989

>>18908674
>People shouldn't be given ambitions as their life's purpose. It's not something you can give up.
>you have to fit a system that may simply have no use for you
You are taking external cues too seriously. Why don't you start developing your own ambition and instead of spending all your time trying to fit into an externally developed system, develop an internal system that will suit your needs? I know the feeling of inadequacy when I try to measure myself to an external standard, but it took me many years to realise that despite presenting itself as the totality and excellence of human experience there is more to life than the conception created by western societies.

Of course realising this is the easy part. The hard part comes from blocking out the noise from the hundreds to thousands of shills that surround you every day, trying to convince you to care about the external. There is the pressure from the instincts, telling you to care about what these fools are saying because they happen to look the same as you. But they are not the same. What use is it when you've tried many times to please them and failed every time? If no joy can be found in molding yourself to this external environment, then where else is there to go but inwards?

>> No.18909236

>>18908237
Those swarthy-minded Red Indians were in Canada and America before your ancestors even knew that there was something beyond the sea. The mental gymnastics is funny.

>> No.18909258
File: 5 KB, 193x261, 1628144436007.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>18906659
>ambition
>terrible kind of life
>not really worth living
utterly spooked. lie flat, man.

>> No.18909270

>>18906495
YOOOOO unironically BASED

>> No.18909273

>lying horizontally
>not lying vertically to bear the sins of the world
NGMI

>> No.18909309

>>18906812
An irrevocably based take

>> No.18909333

>>18906495
I fucking love threads/discussions like this. Everytime I read through one I get a step closer to dropping my engineering office job, and the thought of finally doing so is intoxicating.

I wouldn’t even NEET because working isn’t my problem, my problem is working on something I don’t care for/have any interest in. I have a side job that I can’t dedicate that much time to that I absolutely love doing and actually brings me so much contentment. If I had 8 more hours in the day maybe I could make it work, I don’t know.

But either way, I’m glad to see this kind of thinking on /lit/. Not necessarily the defeatist stuff, but the thought that our idea of “success” has been warped so much and people are suffering for it. I urge everyone reading this if they feel anything to truly think deep about what “success” in their life means to them, and then to go after it no matter what anyone else thinks.

>> No.18909407
File: 301 KB, 1024x1039, Dschuang-Dsi-Schmetterlingstraum-Zhuangzi-Butterfly-Dream.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Zhuangzi was once fishing beside the Pu River when two emissaries brought him a message from the King of Chu: “The king would like to trouble you with the control of all his realm.” Zhuangzi, holding fast to his fishing pole, without so much as turning his head, said, “I have heard there is a sacred turtle in Chu, already dead for three thousand years, which the king keeps in a bamboo chest high in his shrine. Do you think this turtle would prefer to be dead and having his carcass exalted or alive and dragging his backside through the mud?” The emissaries said, “Alive and dragging his backside through the mud.” Zhuangzi said, “Get out of here! I too will drag my backside through the mud!”

>> No.18909414
File: 128 KB, 800x1000, 1610844927060.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.18909484

>>18906495
>years of doing and yet there are still even more tasks to be done

This is by design.

>> No.18909502

>>18907268
It says first world. First world countries have welfare and you can just drop out of work and receive gibs. Only in first world though

>> No.18909540

>>18908286
This is only speculative and hopeful at best. A global war before true AI is achieved can disturb this process. Also there are jobs that require a loicense but unironically. Robots can't work in medicine since you need a loicense there. Not only loicense but other factors such as customer service, driving, flying etc.

If AI is driving a car then the AI must know what to do in case of emergency. Machines can be hijacked and anyone who knows anything about cyber security would never want machines to do everything including driving, cooking, freezing, storing, flying etc. Any machine that can heat, freeze, move fast or fly is ultimately a risk.

Global population decrease will happen during this century and this isn't some conspiracy schizo thing. Population has grown because of older people. The median age of developed countries is rising. The population pyramid is upside down and fertility rates are going down. Economy will tank once population starts to decrease and it will happen soon.

I wouldn't bet my money on AI personally.

>> No.18909585

>>18909414
China is reclining

>> No.18909671

Do we have a neet chart? Can someone recommend some serious books in defense of neetdom?

>> No.18909683

>>18909671
the daodejing

>> No.18909813

>>18909683
thanks
any edition/translation you recommend?

>> No.18909832

>>18909813
not him, but Red Pine

>> No.18909889

>>18909832
thanks

>> No.18910069

>>18909540
>Global population decrease will happen during this century
sorry but you forgot Africa. sure there's going to be 1bn less non-africans. but there's going to be 6bn more africans

>> No.18910123

>>18910069
Most Africans have sub 80 IQ, they will just die if they reach critical mass. The framework for a population explosion is industrialization and technological advancement, if society collapses this will all become unsustainable.
Add climate change to this. More areas will become impossible to live in soon. People will just die, either to wars or because of the lack of resources.

>> No.18910386

>>18910123
I personally have no problem with this. Less competition from competition people. This is probably how the elites think about it actually.

>> No.18910510

>>18908663
Not true at all. Immigrants outperform a host nation's natural born citizens in every economic metric. This is indicative of their cutthroat insane waging behaviour. Refugees are not immigrants.

>> No.18910529

>>18906538
seems like

>> No.18910667

>>18909333
do it nigga, make sure you save some cash from the other job and have some emergency funds set up. Start off small

>> No.18910820
File: 40 KB, 500x328, EuHq-6_VIAYa5Gm.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Where's the original chinese post on "lying flat"? I know it got deleted but im sure it's archived. Has anyone translated it?

>> No.18910987
File: 75 KB, 870x524, vivobarefoot-primus-knit-men-40-grau-ca4b-600.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I guess slacker lit could be relevant?

>> No.18911158

>>18910987
Naive Super by Erland Loe8jjzp

>> No.18911436
File: 240 KB, 800x1009, 800px-Bertrand_Russell_1957.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>18909333
Ride that intoxication to put more time into your side job, however you can. Once it becomes viable, drop your primary job. You love doing it and it makes you content? That's a rare opportunity, whereas "jobs" are everywhere. You realize this already, though, so great work, man.

>>18909671
Not a book, but a short essay. Luckily this is /lit/, so people will actually read things here.
Written almost a century ago, and still unheeded, Bertrand Russell's "In Praise of Idleness":
https://harpers.org/archive/1932/10/in-praise-of-idleness/

And a solid, more modern, speech on full unemployment as a goal:
https://www.philorum.org/speech/20051207JohnBentley.html

>> No.18911481

>>18910987
Cannery Row by Steinbeck

Comfy af slacker lit from a time gone past.

>> No.18911488

>>18911436
Sent both to my kindle, thanks anon.

>> No.18911516

>>18911436
>>18911488
I realize now that I should have given more contextualization to those. They aren't concerned with "NEETdom" per se, moreso with dispensing with work fetishism, promoting the concept of using labor saving techniques/devices to reduce work hours, and moving toward a more economically just society. It touches NEETdom incidentally, but it isn't the focus, just FYI. They're still excellent reads.

>> No.18911546

>>18910069
Not a problem, they’ll all move to Europe lmao. Africa will be fine.

>> No.18911746

>>18910069
>but there's going to be 6bn more africans
What will those Africans eat? There wont be enough nutrition to sustain 100 billion people in Africa

>> No.18911844

>>18910069
>linear projections

>> No.18913670

>>18908956
I'm checking this thread again now, I don't know how to change this idea in my head that I have to be "relevant" in the world, and by that I don't mean on a global scale but something like a community. I guess this is the opposite of how I have always been all my life, fundamentally useless, replaceable, insignificant, etc. All my childhood and youth I had this drive to be "something" but halfway during college I realized that getting a degree and working some higher tier white collar job wouldn't exactly have made me irreplaceable or relevant. Actually it turns out that the fucking plumber in my neighborhood is more essential and well-loved than some wagie faggot working to enrich a faroff company nobody really cares about.
>just become the plumber then?
Sadly I don't react well to piss and shit, and I don't want to work in other people's houses. I just want to live in the quiet and make things. That's all I know.
I probably sound like a retard but I swear I'm the first to be ashamed of how lost I am this far in life.
>>18908989
>Why don't you start developing your own ambition
> develop an internal system that will suit your needs
I gather this amounts to "just do things for yourself" my issue is that I can't do this. I need SOME kind of validation coming from SOMEWHERE. Mostly because over so many years of taking shit I've actually started believing people/society that I'm worthless. I cannot simply self-administer this validation just like someone who's starved for love cannot get satisfaction form masturbation.
It's really easy to type shit like oh yeah I've left society I don't give a shit I don't owe them anything, fuck them all I live MY way, it's MY life but maybe I'm just not that much of a big-dicked Chad since I cannot subsist on nothing but my own farts. I dunno, people hear this and tell me I'm some kind of self-obsessed megalomaniac, the way I see it I just want some sort of validation so I can feel there's a place for me. I don't understand why this is so unreasonable, I'm just asking to be fucking acknowledged by anyone, anything, to have a role somewhere, the idea that if I fucking die someone other than my family will feel like something was lost. It's not that much, I don't think I'm that shitty of a person.

>> No.18913803

>>18913670
you have some kind of lack of imagination and also self-sabotaging here. You though of one fucking example of someone who is appreciated - the plumber. And then you said, oh no, but not me because poo. You didn't take one second to think - well, what about a fucking electrician then? Gutter cleaner? Mechanic? postman?

You didn't think because you don't really want this stuff - as you said earlier you are just having a whinge for fun so anyone replying to you is wasting their energy as i am

>> No.18913815
File: 24 KB, 263x377, canticle.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm just not a very "goal" oriented person. I have a job that makes me a good amount of money, I rent a small house, I've got a solid core of family and friends.. I read and hike and play bass and have a drink at the local bar and just kinda putz around. it's comfy

>> No.18913832

>>18913803
>You didn't take one second to think
Anon of course I did, the plumber was just an example. I can't summarize years and years of this shit. Every thing I've remotely felt like doing with my life, I've considered and most of the time tried to apply for it. I was just dissatisfying or I wasn't fit for it. Maybe my work doesn't matter and I'm focusing on the wrong thing, and I should look at things like a family instead but that's a whole another can of worms since my ability to trust a lover has shrunk to below zero due to life experiences. I've just had a shit life full of failure and I think I don't even know what kind of payoff I'd need.

>> No.18913863

>>18913803
My greatest fear is that of actually getting into the kind of life I'd like to live, having a small workshop at home, a routine, a quiet place, I try to imagine this and I feel like I would be at peace, but then I imagine myself going on for one, two, ten years, and I fear that no matter what I'd be unhappy just the same because I fundamentally don't like living and all this cope about what-ifs is just a way of taking my mind off the elephant in the room, that I hate living.

>> No.18913886

>>18913863
have you ever meditated man? you can make it comfy where there was that tension. finally alone with yourself or 'the reality of the moment' after all the thoughts stop you're like aaaah i don't want to be heere and then you realize you can decide its just fine. there's no threat there at all

>> No.18913892

>>18906812
Cheers.
It's too late for me, lads.

>> No.18913916

What fucks with me is that I'm on the cusp of getting a decent ROI by playing the game. Obviously, it makes more sense for a very welathy person than a very poor person to play, the game being "rigged" as it is. But what about the middle tier? I work about 45 hours a week, make six figs, and it's easy enough WFH stuff. There's the ever present prospect of making more money in the future. My life is largely comfortable. I experience various existential angst, and perhaps that would be cured by my resigning from the game, but perhaps not. I'm quite deep into it.
I don't know, bros.

>> No.18913933

>>18913886
Yes I've spent a while trying to do that, it doesn't do shit. I've doubled down a lot on this meditative shit because I had to avoid therapy at all costs. I honestly think this DIY meditation practice does work for upper class women who are feeling a bit stressed in the weekends, not for someone who's considering the rope every minute of his life.
The only thing that genuinely gives me joy is my pet, but it won't be forever. And I can't use a pet as a crutch to stay alive, it's not fair to anyone.

>> No.18913948
File: 274 KB, 356x354, meditate.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>18913916
you are doing better than like 90% of humans on this planet. because you've "made it" in terms of having a solid salary, your next phase is of course to get into the existential angst phase. just recongize the comfort of your life, and focus on yourself and your relationships. the job is a means to an end. I currently make 6 figs but work a shit load and am about to take a position that is LOCKED at 40 hours per week and pays 87k a year. 87k is more than enough for me. and now I get to be less stressed about work.

>> No.18913999

>>18913916
>>18913948
What do you do?

>> No.18914023

>>18913948
I feel you.
But, it's easier said than done.
An easier path than most, I assume, and for that I ought to be grateful.
I think there is an expression that is like, Even a day at the beach is no day at the beach.
Life is hard no matter which way you slice it.
But yeah, gratitude will be essential.
>>18913999
I do pharma related work.
>checked

>> No.18914100

>>18910667
I want to so bad, I’ve got some decent savings but my expenses are too high at the moment. My current lease ends next March and I’ll have a better idea of my long term survivability of my side project by then so if all goes well I’ll move to some place more fitting/cheap.
>>18911436
>You love doing it and it makes you content? That's a rare opportunity, whereas "jobs" are everywhere. You realize this already, though, so great work, man.
That’s partly the reason I know I have to quit my current main job, because I’ve seen how much better things can be. Thanks anon, appreciate the kind words

>> No.18914134

>>18906812
Redpilled
I'm glad I went into /lit/ today

>> No.18914135

>>18913999
checked and.. I was an engineer at a plant, soon I will be a technician at a plant. I do have an engineering degree.

>> No.18914943
File: 375 KB, 2048x2048, B4A95BCE-7525-4B58-944F-E55A3BD2C2FC.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>18911436
>In Praise of Idleness
> In this way it is insured that
>insured
Someone needs to shoot the old editor at harper’s

>> No.18915115

>>18914943
Yeah it almost ruined my day; I could barely contain my disappointment.

Lots of typos in the second essay though, brace yourself.

>> No.18915221

Making minimum wage $ or Euro is top 10% worlds wealthiest, throughout history. We have heat and AC, something Louie did not.

If you make good money, go live off $300 a year in interest in a first world country. live the best of both worlds, no need to work in first world, have a family/medical/tech here.

THE LAZY ONES
By Albert Cossery

>> No.18915232
File: 1.45 MB, 1120x1667, suttree.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Check out Suttree by McCarthy

>> No.18915237

>>18915221
>just live surrounded by people that hate you and don’t speak English bro

>> No.18915262

>>18915237
Do I have to explain step by step, bruv?

Use your grey matter, use your imagination, find a way from the end point by moving backwards step by step to see what's the first move you make. Incorporate into daily life
Profit

>> No.18915382

>>18908068
This isn't surprising to me, as most westerners haven't been exposed to the writing of educated Chinese.

>> No.18915391

>>18915237
muppet

>> No.18915415

>>18906495
>I can live like Diogenes and sleep inside a wooden bucket, enjoying sunshine. I can live like Heraclitus in a cave, thinking about the “logos.”
This is what happens when you start with the Greeks.

>> No.18915431

>>18915415
End with the greeks

>> No.18915890

>>18906812
Capped, good post

>> No.18916022

Sounds like an excuse to be lazy.

>> No.18916182
File: 64 KB, 704x309, c5ef2a6239f00b87659e865dae60977c.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>18916022
Yes.

>> No.18916244

>>18906555
trips of truth

>> No.18916253
File: 105 KB, 1212x594, Chickens.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>18906495
>and being a cog in China’s capitalist machine
cringe. I hate leftists so much.
Glad to hear this though, China is getting memed into failure (many such cases) and it makes me very happy to see :^)

>> No.18916272

>>18916253
Cucked.

>> No.18916312

This is completely idiotic. You're simply giving up your chance of achieving anything. While you're "lying flat" people actually progress. I can see how this idea being propagated nowadays can be beneficial to people who simply wish to eliminate possible competition, but this argument falls apart when you think for a moment who is affected by this "philosophy" — a bunch of lazy millennials.

>> No.18916378

>>18916312
>your chance of achieving anything
what is achievement to you? all you can achieve in this world at this point is money. You cannot change anything or inspire anyone or say something meaningful or make anyone happy and fulfilled, all you can achieve is just a career. Money that is largely not worth your time. Family had died completely. Everything has died but producing goods and consuming goods. The arts are dead.

>> No.18916388

>>18916272
Cucked Cluck Cluck Clucker.

>> No.18916508

wtf an actually good thread on /lit/ for once

>> No.18916522

>>18907117
It's young chinese turning their backs on the prospect of doing the whole study hard 16 hour day mathemetics grind for years only to enter into an extremely competitive market for bum jobs. CONSOOM is Americans having easy access to unfulfilling McJobs and material luxuries, much better than the Chinese scenario

>> No.18916765
File: 25 KB, 216x287, download.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>18916508
One of the best threads i've seen for a while. Now the only thing it needs is some books.

>> No.18916800

>>18916022

In the same way that "evil" is a word used by Judeo-Christian traditions to describe people they deem morally wrong (per Nietzsche), so now is "lazy" used by miserable, unenlightened functionaries of
systemic life who think it is man's sole purpose to work until we die for a cause or purpose we have no personal investment in. This is entirely born out of resentment, i.e the working classes resenting each other for not working hard enough, or not working as much as the next person. Work for its own sake breeds a general distrust of inaction. I believe that laziness - or simply, inactive being - is the very ground of human existence, it is our most primal freedom.

>> No.18916833

>>18916312
>You're simply giving up your chance of achieving anything
The problem is that many have no chance in the first place, you genius. And even so, what is an achievement, what is "progress" in China or in USA? Making incrementally more money, by working your ass off for some corporation that profits off people's stupidity without making anyone substantially happier, other than the boss?
The nicest job I've had was the one where I spent a few hours a day helping people and preparing cultural events, because I knew I would enjoy the result, and because the people around me (artists and audiences) deserved my best effort, I knew I could make everyone feel nicer. Can a Chinese guy feel like that while working in a stuffy factory, packaging and putting barcodes on low-quality rubber dildos that release toxic chemicals into your anus? Sure as fuck not. I bet he can't wait for the moment the boss notices him among 100 other dildo workers and promotes him onto the position of the shift manager of the dildo production department.

>> No.18916847

>>18916800
>Judeo-Christian

opinion invalidated

>> No.18916868
File: 34 KB, 354x504, 1o42xg.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>Judeo-Christian
>opinion invalidated

>> No.18917181
File: 32 KB, 326x500, download.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I think Ivan Illich is relevant

>> No.18917230 [DELETED] 

>>18916800
Ever notice how fat these legalists are? Fat people have no functioning mitochondria to command spirit and therefore need the writ of law to command order instead of autonomous inspiration. Goddamn maybe it's because I'm a George Floydian in North America but NEVER TRUST A FAT PERSON. Fatties snitch!

>> No.18917655

>>18908419
Daddies cummies are good for you

>> No.18917715 [DELETED] 

>>18908529
Im im the same boat. My story is too sad to tell not because I would be too sad to tell it but that no one could listen to it and see it for what it is. I have a diet and budget down to the gram and penny of perfect regularity. I get the same food from Amazon delivered to me regularly even if my paycheck is just a promise of accounts payable that gets delayed for months. My normie abusers in high school are out traveling Europe and Thailand having a blast in their brand name clothing. I wear goodwill clothes and hand me downs. I live in a warehouse I work in. I have a chronic illness and injury I know how to manage and quietly avoid being recognized as a disability because the worst handicap is the pity of fools and supplications of people who harmed me in the first place. My spirit has saint composure. I am developing my mind as an Amazon worker bee with no more Identity like I used to have as a respected friend and tutor and class clown. I am not optimistic about the future and frankly have little energy after my 80 hour work weeks and study and philosophize all my free time on slow business 20 hour work weeks. I am a rat at the bottom of the industrial setting with a world class industrial education. I am living at the pace and peril of fools so dumb you can hear their mouth breathing stutters durs and duhs as I am bossed around mopping up human feces, sometimes back breaking heaving loads and hunched bending over handy work and even dumpster diving. At least I'm part of a real small business that needs me and loves me. Though I am never seen I work for family who knows I work for them. That alone is infinitely worth more than being a bug on an HR listing, even the most prized bug.

>> No.18918699

>>18916847
seethe cryptokike, go worship jesus' foreskin

>> No.18918993

>>18916800
words words words

>> No.18919018
File: 151 KB, 800x600, 1582425542515.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Honestly can't be fucked to read even a single word in this thread Tbh

>> No.18919051

>>18918993
>literature board

>> No.18919072

>>18906538
is taoism specifically an anti authoritarian philosophy? if so, based

>> No.18919112

>>18908198
Being a world super power is only good for the rich capitalist class. It's hell for the rest of us. Hopefully the USA will go back to being an average isolationist country and stop forcing this slavery work ethic on the working class

Who am I kidding, that will never happen unless we kill people.

>> No.18919233

>>18909273
Underrated

>> No.18919305

I want to try a new approach in measuring the success of my life. Instead of acquiring finances and wealth, I want to develop my trustworthiness and increase my trusting (with appropriate critical thinking and skepticism) of others. Any book recommendations that focus on the virtue of being a trustworthy person?

>> No.18919330

>>18919305
This sounds so dumb.

>> No.18919714

I really just want to paint and sell paintings and live in absolute poverty
how is it possible that there are people who make literal doodles and get paid just because it's porn or they say they're gay/black/feminists. how is it possible that this shit is so easy for these people but everyone else gets 0, zero, nothing. billions of people online and selling anything outside a literal handful criteria is absurdly hard... why are people al the same now? there was so much more variety when writers depended on publishers and artists on galleries, now everything is under lock and key, everything the same
billions of people all looking at the same shit, idk it's unreal

>> No.18920098

>>18906812
Literally what /biz/ has been saying for years

>> No.18920666

Most efficient way to neet?
>>18916800
>Judeo-Christian
>traditions
No such thing.

>> No.18920916

>>18908147
This cured my depression

>> No.18920958
File: 188 KB, 720x720, 1626205997667.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Ride the tiger
Surf the Kali Yuga
Lie flat

>> No.18921426

>ctrl+f "surrogate activity"
>nothing

Pretty disappointed in you all.

>> No.18921460

>>18919305
Lying by Sam Harris

>> No.18921509
File: 30 KB, 620x349, uncle ted.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>18921426
good point, lack of tedposting.
I used to be more aware of what surrogate activities are and notice more when I am engaged in them. Not to necessarily avoid them but to just kind of make a mental note "this is a surrogate activity".

/lit/ is definitely a surrogate activity.

>> No.18921516
File: 65 KB, 583x720, pup.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>18906812
now this right here is a fuckin five star post

>> No.18921753

i think my biggest fear is just living an aimless life than not having a ton of money or fame

>> No.18921777

>>18906659
cope seethe and lie flat

>> No.18921789

>>18908844
lol more excuses.

>> No.18921795

>>18908899
>Enlightenment isn't a race
Oh but it very much is a race against time and death. Don't put it off to next life, there might not be one.

>> No.18922036

>>18921426
the thread is much better for it. we all know what surrogate activities are this is an entirely different topic of discussion. sorry you might have to activate an extra neuron instead of copy pasting the same thing as every other thread

>> No.18922191
File: 118 KB, 1024x752, apudiogenes.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>18906555
checked

>> No.18922291

>>18922191
replace the lantern with a bottle of whiskey and this is kino

>> No.18922419

>>18916847
>>18920666

If you hadn't noticed I was using the term Judeo-Christian as a paraphrase of Nietzsche, in order to make an analogy. I'm aware that these traditions are no longer the most prominent source of morality today.

>>18918993

There are a lot of words in this thread anon.

>> No.18922486

>>18906812
Absolutely correct take. I see this in myself and my family. People question how I feel happy and content despite living low income and despite lacking relationships due to introversion but the simple truth of the matter is that I don’t care for materialistic means. I’m educated and young, so I will pursue a career in investigation soon enough but I don’t care if I become rich from it and I’m fine with the possibility that I dislike working, ill just quit and feel even more secure in my decisions in life.

Comparatively my entire family is materialistic. They question my usual contentment because they constantly seek more and more material things, the desperation to gain validation via wealth or societal achievement. As a result they are in turmoil almost all the time as they pressure themselves to do better. This, of course, isn’t limited to just them. Many people over the course of my life have expressed similar sentiments. They can’t comprehend how I can be happy without wealth. In their heads you MUST have wealth to be happy and not pursuing wealth is tantamount to suicide.

As I said, I intend on pursuing a career. I finished my undergraduate course just last year but I am in no rush and while I’ll give it a good year or so of working as a trial run I won’t delude myself into working purely for financial gain. That is an option most people could never conceive of whether it’s due to their circumstances or simply delusion. That is fundamentally sad to me.

In time, I hope all humans can grow to understand this. I fear it’s the key to happiness and perhaps something more resembling peace than the modern world.

>> No.18922491

>>18915221
>We have heat and AC
I live in a first world country and I don't have those, and even if I did I probably wouldn't use them, too expensive.

>> No.18923492
File: 63 KB, 748x587, waljasosksp51.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>18916182
This quote is hogwash.
We descend from a common ancestor but eventually evolved into different species which manifest different innate behaviours. The gorilla's nourishes idleness whereas ours nourishes activity. That nourishment developed precisely from our incapability to endure monotony and it's possibly the main cause of our complex brain.
So is boredom unkown to a gorilla? Well, of course because their brain is less developed compared to ours. If they were to evolve into an intelligent species, they wouldn't be able to endure monotony either.

>> No.18924610 [DELETED] 

>>18908353
>Is Algeria so comfy as it appears to be on Camus essays?

>> No.18924630

>>18908353
Is Algeria as comfy as it appears to be on Camus essays?

>> No.18924669
File: 191 KB, 817x997, William-Blake-The-Temptation-and-Fall-of-Eve-1807.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>18923492
He's not saying we evolved from gorillas, he's saying humans are unique in the animal kingdom and are kind of fucked because of it. This is not a new idea.

>> No.18924745

>>18919072
I don't think it is. The Daodejing/Book of Chuang Tzu have many passages about what an ideal ruler would be like: detached, ensuring that the people can live honest and simple lives. Kind of like a benevolent dictator. Taoism recognizes the natural hierarchy that is required for balance and peace.

>> No.18924822

>>18924745
It also insinuates that a good ruler seldom intervenes. I think it is less about Laozi advocating for natural hierarchy and more about him acknowledging the concrete political context and elaborating on what he believes a harmonious rule would be like.
It’s been a couple years since I’ve read it though, so I might be wrong.

>> No.18924835

>>18906812
>the global south
The Left literally cannot think without recourse to buzzwords can they?

>> No.18924877

Just when you think a shitskin nation might actually be rising to disprove Western hegemonic dominance, they do something like this lmao.

>> No.18925218

>>18924835
Talking about the south of the world is somehow a buzzword, but "The Left" isn't?

>> No.18925296

>>18925218
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_North_and_Global_South

>> No.18926228

>>18922419
Judeo-Christian traditions don't exist because Judeo-Christianism is a modern invention sold to boomers for the sole purpose of politicking.

>> No.18926447

>>18906495
I clapped. I just wish society can learn from this.

>> No.18926636
File: 518 KB, 550x550, E3sD4WNVcAEGRns.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>18906495
>“Society needs to give people the option to progress or opt-out.”
Phenomenal.

>> No.18926657
File: 265 KB, 1125x555, D8578BB2-E3D3-40E4-B57D-EB190898B0C9.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>18925296
Oh euphemism of euphemisms

>> No.18926717

>>18906812
Anon what actual fuck
You have summarised all of the mumbo jumbo of theory and economics in such beautiful manner, especially the section about 3rd world countries because I live here(although unfortunately it is becoming a mixture of >>18908270). Thank you for sharing this insight.

>> No.18926900

>>18913670
Have you reached out to the artists that you like?

>> No.18927040

>>18906812
a compelling read. are you a novelist perhaps? this is well informed opinion and I was on the edge of my seat the entire time. more write-ups like this?

>> No.18927100

>>18906812
absolute bullshit 3rd worlders work way more than 1st worlders it just so happens that having a better wage is not enough to make the wagecuckery not inhumane all it does is letting you consoom shit so you can ignore your reality

>> No.18927133

>>18906812
Don't know if pasta or not, but good post

>> No.18927525

>>18924630
rural areas along the coastline are an absolute blessing. funny you mentioned camus, i live in the exact town where the first part of l'étranger is set.

>> No.18927547

>>18927040
I’m not a novelist by any means, althought I enjoy reading very much.
I think my post is a product of my peculiar life experiences.
I’m the son of a UN staff member and as such I’ve had the opportunity (some would say privilege) to reside in multiple countries, wherever his work would take him.
I’ve lived all my life in the New World despite being born in the old, I’ve resided in Mexico, the US, Panama and Argentina, educated in the French school districts of those countries (parents wanted the best education money could offer) and I can speak English, French and Spanish.

Looking back I can honestly say that I was privileged and in my naïveté I assumed everyone lived more or less the same as I did.
We had a two-story house in México D.F. during the 2000s, I later learned that I lived in the safest part of the country (the capital).
I lived for a few years in Panama and got to visit their impressive canal but didn’t understand how the population was so poor when so much money was pouring in.
I then spent my high school years in New York City, which I came to hate.
I’ve been spending the last 6 years in Argentina, not in the capital but in a quiet town in a remote province of the north.

I’m on the cusp of graduating, I choose tourism as my vocation precisely because I didn’t want to wagie in a grey cubicle. I figured work is more bearable when you are surrounded by palm trees, beaches and smiling tourists.
For the past weeks I’d been brushing up on Economics (which I flunked) before making my previous post in this thread.
After reading up on Keynes and reflecting on my first hand experiences in Latin American countries where I spent most of my life I came to the conclusion above.
The underlying reasons for the underperforming economies of the global south lie in structural problems, both domestically and in their interaction with the advanced economies of the global north.
(1/2)

>> No.18927559
File: 13 KB, 236x354, illich.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>18917181
oh hell yes. his writings are necessary for any further development of these kinds of thoughts

>> No.18927563

>>18927547
Reading up on the reccs you guys provide for non-fiction, in history, economics and a smattering of psychology reveals that they are in earlier stages of capitalist development, producing agricultural products that they export to the first world but having painfully underdeveloped industrial bases and tertiary sectors due to a variety of historical and political reasons.
As I said earlier, these economies are stuck in earlier stages, with a massive working-class population and a tiny percentage of elites controlling most of the wealth. They lack the robust middle-class that is the backbone of a productive economy, and since opportunities for advancement are few and far between most of the population gives up on being rich (which is the essential incentive to participate in the capitalist mode of production really).
This leads to the popular portrayal of Latinos as a very friendly group, because they’ve switched their priorities from accumulating wealth to developing their personal relationships, going to church, pursuing romance and in the most crass cases fanatically followings team sports.
If you ask me fostering human relationships is simply a more fulfilling goal that’s aligned closer to human nature than accumulating capital, which is what most people in first world countries pursue because that’s what the system incentivizes.
I’m getting a bit tired of typing, the topic is complex and trying to synthesize it into a couple of posts doesn’t make it justice. If you want more let me know.
(2/2)

>> No.18927637
File: 1.71 MB, 3647x2550, Bataille 1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>18906714
Which Bataille work is it from?

>> No.18927645

>>18927547
>New York City, which I came to hate
>a quiet town in a remote province
>tourism as my vocation
Nice. I had a friend that worked tourism in Patagonia, and it sounded the best out of any job I've had someone describe to me. I hope you enjoy that sector as much as he did.
I always wanted to visit Argentina, and I'm especially curious about the north because of the wetland parks/reserves around Corrientes, since it's an ecosystem we don't really have where I live. Is it a sweltering, bug-infested hellscape during your summer months? Also, what do you think of Argentina overall, as an outsider? All of the Argentines I've met have been wonderful (well, the women are turbo-sluts and the men all cheat on their partners, but that doesn't cause me any trouble).

>> No.18927664
File: 271 KB, 1024x682, Lie Flat.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>18906495
>The picture shows several members of the Chongqing Snoring Friends Association wearing pajamas and lying on the street with sleep-related slogans in their hands.
https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=https://www.chinatimes.com/opinion/20210604001731-262106?chdtv

>> No.18927728

>>18927547
>>18927563
>If you ask me fostering human relationships is simply a more fulfilling goal that’s aligned closer to human nature than accumulating capital
i'd like to ask you if there are any specific events you witnessed within those communities in latin america that reinforced that view of the word, examples of a group f that transcended the overly material lifestyle?

>> No.18927733

>>18927664
these people are probably gone now...

>> No.18927734

>>18927645
>I'm especially curious about the north because of the wetland parks/reserves around Corrientes, since it's an ecosystem we don't really have where I live. Is it a sweltering, bug-infested hellscape during your summer months?
I live in Jujuy, right in the center of a valley surrounded by mountains that become peak become snow peaked during winter, which is surprisingly cold.
As for the yungas of Corrientes, yes the heat during the summer months can get pretty unbearable but we get plenty of tourists anyways who like the experience of exploring the jungle on their way to the Jesuitic missions which are a marvel of 16th-17th century colonial architecture.
I absolutely despise porteños and completely understand why the rest of the country does so too. There’s an interesting book, Los Argentinos, No Somos tan Buena Gente ( don’t know if it has been translated into other languages) that details the peculiarities of Argentines. They really do have an identity crisis, somehow identifying themselves as estranged Europeans trying to ape the traditions of the Old World while having to deal with the problems of the New. The mestizo population is friendly enough, although they are very wary of adopting any new tech from the outside, at least here in the north.
The meat and empanadas live up to their reputation of being exquisite although the former is getting super expensive with galloping inflation.
I get the same feeling as many outside commentators that Argentina could be so much more than it is. It really could be a regional power with an HDI comparable to the first world but there’s just too much corruption and inefficiency here.

>> No.18927819

>>18927728
I had the opportunity of talking to some fishermen in Panama.
They told us they make their living by fishing and occasionally transporting tourists from the mainland to the island of Taboga. They seemed genuinely content in their livelihoods, they cared greatly for their boats and fishing equipment, which they repaired themselves, they fish during the day and party during the night. You could notice the happiness they felt under their straw hats and sunburned faces.
I also had the opportunity to visit an actual indigenous community that lives on the shores of the Chagres river. They were essentially self-sufficient, the government lets them live on the land without paying taxes. The children run around their naked, and the women go topless. They invited us to a feast where they served a sort of sweet maize paste, wrapped in leaves to be used as plates then they did a traditional dance that lasted well over an hour.
The last one really struck me because it happened in Cancun, which is an extremely commercialized tourist destination, with a mega mall and everything.
We were about to visit one of the beaches when some men stopped us and told use we had to pay to get in since the beach was property of the nearby hotel. I negotiated a lower price with them and to my surprise they accepted, telling us that if it was up to them everyone could get in free since they believed the beach should be public property for everyone to use. I payed them the agreed amount and let us in, telling us that if anyone asks we paid the original higher price.
Nice people but what really struck me was their point of view, and I felt bad that that little slice of paradise (Cancun’s beaches and turquoise waters are simply gorgeous) has been so thoroughly commercialized.

>> No.18927846

>>18927733
On the contrary snoring has never been stronger in Chongqing
https://twitter.com/henryyincna/status/1225353782067744768

>> No.18929370

bump

>> No.18929843

>>18919112
>It's hell for the rest of us
not for me, and i aint no middle or upper class
its truly hell for the common person living in China right now, everybody enslaved by the state, a country that is drying up severely fast and wont be able to sustain its population with enough water in a decade or longer... many such cases all over the globe, in the "global south". this is what its like to live, you will never be allowed to control your own destiny

>> No.18929863

>>18908674
just because have turned labor into a tool with which to enslave mankind, it doesn't mean labor is inherently a bad thing. we all need to labor in order to sustain ourselves. were you born 2000 years ago you have been tied to the land, your only hope for survival being to work the land, herd the sheep and harvest your crops. labor. it is inescapable to life, you must in order to create something greater out of yourself, someone stronger and built to be resilient. we all need to get shit done otherwise we rot slowly and you wont find relief at the point of death. we are all born with a purpose (unless your npc) and we need to achieve this, make life whole for ourselves

>> No.18929873

>>18910386
>>18910510
these guys know what's going on

>> No.18929899

>>18915237
hordes of native women will fall at your feet the moment they see a white guy, that's carrying lots of foreign currency, come into their neighborhood. they they will drop their shitskin 13cm dicklet boyfriends for you in a heartbeat

>> No.18929911

>>18916800
>judeo-christian
you really just meant to say christian, dont be low IQ please

>> No.18929935

>>18924669
we have the ability to feel empathy and malice, whereas animals do not. a curse you say? i would consider it more like the gift of God, the power to create and destroy. the ability to achieve a mental state of euphoria. indulge in it!

>> No.18930240

>>18929935
>we have the ability to feel empathy and malice, whereas animals do not.
typical ignorance of the average burger fucker who shoots birds in his backyard for fun

>> No.18930251

>>18930240
i would only ever kill an animal in self-defense or if i need to eat

>> No.18930270

>>18927637
It's from the Letter to X (i.e. Kojève), which is in both The College of Sociology (also in The Bataille Reader) in its original version and in Guilty.

>> No.18930281
File: 696 KB, 1731x2560, Japan.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>"San'ya, Tokyo's largest day-laborer quarter and the only one with lodgings, had been Oyama Shiro's home for twelve years when he took up his pen and began writing about his life as a resident of Tokyo's most notorious neighborhood. After completing a university education, Oyama entered the business workforce and appeared destined to walk the same path as many a "salaryman." A singular temperament and a deep loathing of conformity, however, altered his career trajectory dramatically. Oyama left his job and moved to Osaka, where he lived for three years. Later he returned to the corporate world but fell out of it again, this time for good. After spending a short time on the streets around Shinjuku, home to Tokyo's bustling entertainment district, he moved to San'ya in 1987, at the age of forty."

>"Oyama acknowledges his eccentricity and his inability to adapt to corporate life. Spectacularly unsuccessful as a salaryman yet uncomfortable in his new surroundings, he portrays himself as an outsider both from mainstream society and from his adopted home. It is precisely this outsider stance, however, at once dispassionate yet deeply engaged, that caught the eye of Japanese readers. The book was published in Japan in 2000 after Oyama had submitted his manuscript—on a lark, he confesses—for one of Japan's top literary awards, the Kaiko Takeshi Prize. Although he was astounded actually to win the award, Oyama remained in character and elected to preserve the anonymity that has freed him from all social bonds and obligations. The Cornell edition contains a new afterword by Oyama regarding his career since his inadvertent brush with fame."

I recommend this book. A middle-aged man tired of corporate Japan drops out and lives in a boarding house working odd-jobs and then eventually lives homeless.

>> No.18930311

>>18908643
The movie Slacker was fascinating to me, however comparing life at that point (early-90s Austin) to today is more difficult, because the price of living (at least in my part of the world) has risen so dramatically, and the average slacker-tier job is either not available, highly competitive or pays so little that having any kind of financial security is very difficult.

>> No.18930327

>>18906812
>posts like these are what impress /lit/
The state of zoomzooms impressed by tip of the iceberg zeitgeist takes. If I lowered my IQ by 20 and age by 10 I'd impress you dopamine addicted blue pilled zoomzooms

>> No.18930355

>fight authoritarianism by being a selfish cunt
>WOW SO BASED
Why is this board filled with young shitlib commies? Drop your books and fucking go live in the world. It's not a horrible place like the media and your postmodern victim-culture books say

>> No.18930357

This is normal for anyone except for the protestants. They are fucked up.

>> No.18930411

>>18910987
There is a huge difference between "Slacking" on your phone (stimulating dopamine addiction) vs slacking doing nothing
This is ultimately why the slacker revolution won't work. Normies can be beet for a few months until their either their dopamine receptors fry and they get depressed or they get depressed from boredom due to lack of creativity

>> No.18930435

>>18930355
Fuck off kike

>> No.18930739

>>18926657
>Israel
>Turkey

>> No.18930798

>>18916182
monke

>> No.18931046

>>18906659
>you have to be able to support yourself?

says who? fuck off, let people be homeless if they want.

>> No.18931128

>>18909540
>before true AI
Never going to happen

>> No.18932026

>>18930281
Thanks for actually posting a book lad

>> No.18932571

>>18908667
source???

>> No.18932653

>>18908286
>Ironically, code monkeys will be among the first to be displaced
Lol no, nice revenge fantasy though. Artfags and the last existing manual laborers will be first to go.

>> No.18932671

>>18930281
Thanks anon, these Japanese confession style books are always fantastic.

>> No.18932684
File: 67 KB, 1280x720, south america social structure.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>18906812
>The result is the economies of the global south underperform because no one is motivated to be productive and consequently GDP and HDI suffer because their governments don’t have enough of a tax base to keep roads clean and non-bumpy (and because the politicians are corrupt and embezzle the funds anyways).

i can only speak for south america and why the "underperforming" aspect, it´s because how the spanish colonial system worked there, basically a sort of aristocratic based economy which extracted resources to export them to the metropoli, now when they got independence, it basically functioned the same way but with new markets, the path towards industrialization started around 19th and 20th century but of course there were a lot of conflicts internally and externally that prevented them to form an unified policy about what to do, i´m generalizing here of course but you get the point

saying that a lot of people doesn´t work and that´s why there isn´t a growing economy is fucking retarded, reeks of anglosaxon biased, real life isn´t that simple, you can even say that the working class in south america are better off than the ones in europe since they don´t have to live in crappy apartments with foreign people who don´t talk their language and there isn´t a moral campaign against them that they should believe in X ideology to feel better about themselves

>> No.18932832
File: 60 KB, 1280x720, serfdom.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>18932684
pic related

>> No.18932841

>>18932684
>the ones in europe since they don´t have to live in crappy apartments with foreign people who don´t talk their language and there isn´t a moral campaign against them that they should believe in X ideology to feel better about themselves
It's painfully obvious you know nothing about Europe.

>> No.18932859

>>18932841
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015–16_New_Year%27s_Eve_sexual_assaults_in_Germany

>> No.18932875

>>18932859
https://www.webmd.com/brain/autism/symptoms-of-autism
I can post barely relevant articles too.

>> No.18932889

>>18932875
>makes a lengthy post citing a dumb theory why south america isn´t as rich as first world countries

ok

>i make a post why yurops standards aren´t really that great

>NOOO YOU CAN´T DO THAT

get fucked faggot

>> No.18932911

>>18932889
>>i make a post why yurops standards aren´t really that great
And as proof you bring up incidents (which are unrelated to any one of your points originally describing Europe) from one European country from half a decade ago. Get fucked, moron, try to write something meaningful next time.
I'm not the poster of >>18906812, btw, in case you assumed that. I'm only denying your retarded points.

>> No.18932927
File: 687 KB, 1000x1000, 7639-pepe.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>18932911

>> No.18932956

>>18930435
Fuck off glowie

>> No.18933078

>>18932956
Dilate, discord tranny.

>> No.18933110

>>18906674
Kek

>> No.18933332

>>18930355
>lib
>commies
You're an ameritard, aren't you?

>> No.18934860

>>18907117
>Winnie the Pooh
>I dunno guys, all NEET jokes aside this may be a Movement.
this is a reddit post

>> No.18935038

bunch of lazybones ITT. you will never be a king ruling over your domain.

>> No.18935056

>>18920958
It amazes me tradfags put such an emphasis on action then advocate for sitting on your ass and doing nothing in the same breadth.

>> No.18935587
File: 618 KB, 622x546, 2d7.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>18932927
we are still friends

>> No.18935611

>>18906495
>has inspired numerous memes
>It has been described as a spiritual movement
Statements that do not belong together

>> No.18935671

>>18906495
unfathomably based beyond imagination.

>> No.18935694

>>18907117
i kind of want to buy a prefab japanese tearoom style microhome and plop it on a rural plot. like those tradchina videos where the girl makes furniture from bamboo and cooks trad food. very calming.

i have no desire to consoom. only sojboys get big stress, big money tech jobs and waste all the money on funko pop, gaming computers, trooooovel fast wide and shallow for instagram pictures, buy endless gadgets no one even needs, and always buying new things. fuck that. work is stupid and i hate it. i'm working long enough to get enough money to never work again (10 years max from where i am) and thats it. work is fucking gay stupid shit and cripples you physcially mentally and emotionally. you sell your life to a boomer boss so he can buy mcmansions and you can pay mortgage on mcmansions and drive retarded cars you buy a new one of every other year. people sacrifice verything for money and waste it all on vain trivial bullshit

consumer-capitalism was a mistake. only build things that last and matter.

>> No.18935841

>>18930281
>eventually lives homeless.
wow he escaped the system that's cool. but then uh, what happens next when he get a cracked tooth that causes agonizing pain?

>> No.18935990

>>18932684
Anon, you’re wrong.
First of all, it’s a shame South Americans still blame their short comings on colonial Spain.
No, South America wouldn’t be any better with all the gold in the world. Let’s forget for a second how much of that gold was reinvested in universities (that still stand today) and cultural reformation (Incas no longer try to make it rain by dancing, and they can read and write now), and let’s pretend Spaniards took every single gold nugget and ran away; doesn’t Venezuela have oil? Doesn’t Argentina have the perfect country with oil, fertile soil, and everything you can dream of? And yet, they are fuck ups.
Why is that? Well, I’ll tell you why: because you can’t do shit with poor demographics. You have two digit IQ people, you get two digit IQ results.
Second of all, gibs, corruption, and populism are rampant in SA. Most people there would prefer a quick payout over a life of struggle and sweat for a chance to advance that may or may not be swiftly taken away by corrupt politicians. I can’t say that I blame whoever goes down that path but I will not blame that shit on something that happened 300 years ago or Anglo bias.

>> No.18936017

>>18935990
Oh, and, thirdly, no, the average working man isn’t better in SA than Europe. Sure, the refugee issue is an important problem - but you can’t realistically say quality of life is better in the Hispanic third world because of that. You can’t say that without giggling to yourself, at least.

>> No.18936049
File: 292 KB, 1170x863, A830FB72-8419-472F-AB3C-E53066E87BE0.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>18906659

>> No.18936187

Sounds like a meaningless, empty existence.

>> No.18936395

>>18935990

It's not about natural resources and raw materials because South America has plenty for decades, it's about the social and economic system imposed and left by colonialism. Spaniards created a mixed, multicultural experiment on a continental scale that simply cannot work. Most countries in Latin America feel like “blueprint projects” than actual nations with a solidified identity. The United States in the near future (and Europe too).

>> No.18936472

>>18936187
Like every flavour of existence?

>> No.18936665

>>18936472
Nothing matters if you don't make it matter

>ITT = Incapable of Functioning Internet Addicts General

>> No.18936669

>>18936472
Weak.