[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 31 KB, 400x239, awesome_optical_illusions_7.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1897684 No.1897684 [Reply] [Original]

why is it when i stop reading and then start again later i cant remember much of what i read? also when i do read sometimes my mind drifts off, what do i do to fix this Its also alot harder to read when its loud at least for me.

>> No.1897696

Not enough drugs.

>> No.1897714

Umm obviously you are not being engaged by the books you are reading. Certain people just can't get into certain types of books. It sounds like you have just never read a book you liked so much that it sucked you in and captivated you.

What books have you been reading or attempted to read?

>> No.1897904

tho books i have read are The Road which i actually liked, i have tried reading alot of required reading for school which i didnt like too much accept kite runner. Also I just got I Am Legend Today and lord of the flies, so im gonna try those out.

>> No.1897914

Lord of the Flies is great.

Really, one of my favorite books. I enjoy it even without all the symbolism some people say is essential to enjoying it.

Really I say just find a book with a story you like and fuck the haters. Even if it's Twilight.

>> No.1897919

Pretty much the only books i have tried reading are for school and i didnt like them.

>> No.1897928

Yeah you've gotten some pretty g ood advice in this thread. I think everyone has a problem retaining information that they can't help but feel is either boring or not useful to them. Another thing you can do, is make sure you are reading in the right conditions..no unnecessary distractions..read in a place that is comfortable physically, but it's best not to get too comfortable by laying down for instance..make sure you eat beforehand and that you're hydrated..things like that..

>> No.1897932

>>1897919

Schools are notorious for assigning bad books, or books that are over the heads of most of the people reading them at that age.

You said you liked The Road, you might also try reading some of Cormac McCarthy's other stuff. Or maybe some other post-apocalyptic novels, if it was the setting you liked.

I'll go ahead and recommend you check out Metro 2033, by Dmitry Glukhovsky

>> No.1897941

I have heard of this book, but i cant find any english versions of it. I went to my local bookstore and it said that this book didnt even come out yet.

Also thanks to all the contributors for you're advice, it is greatly appreciated.

>> No.1897950

Okay newvermind i just looked at borders and they have it, thats weird becasue when i looked a few months ago it said it wasnt out yet.