[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 34 KB, 500x500, Book-Cover-The-World-According-to-Garp-by-John-Irving.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1897771 No.1897771 [Reply] [Original]

Have to read this (as well as "Titus Andronicus") for my AP Shakespeare class. Never heard of it. Is it any good?

>> No.1897799
File: 354 KB, 480x368, vlcsnap-5221917.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.1897804

what.

>> No.1897848

it is about feminism and other issues that americans care about a lot. reminded me of bohumil hrabal: subtle weird and zany twists on beaten out topics.

>> No.1897866

supposed to be a huge influence on DFW, or at least just similar sort of stuff. I've been meaning to get around to it; I know this is supposed to be one of his best.

>> No.1897879

So good he has been writing the same book ever since.
Irving themes:
Abortion
Rape
Family disfunction
naive/innocent/forever alone young man who never matures
Zany and quirky secondary characters who lighten up the gravitas of the protaganist.
Owen Meany
4th Hand
Son of the circus
Cider house rules
Hotel new hampshire
etc

>> No.1897894

Titus is his most violent play--It was put down for a long time by critics, but I suppose there is always a tendency to ''redeem'' what was in previous generations looked down on...I would say that it is of middling quality for Shakespeare, which is still really good..and it is easily one of the more badass plays that he wrote..badass in the sense of a grindhouse movie.

>> No.1897920

Meant to be v.good OP. Don't schoolboy-out and watch the Robin Williams film though.

>> No.1898154

I've read it before and I really liked it. Mainly because I wish I could be Garp's mom.

Read it with a sense of humor. There's some funny parts and some sad parts; it's just the story of Garp's life. Mainly I remember it being about wrestling, penises, and bears.

...Hmmmmmm