[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 75 KB, 482x427, d90.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
19082132 No.19082132[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

I sadly do not have any free time. I have a 16 hour work day, every day. But it's something I need to do to provide for my future family. I also want to read literature, it's probably my one hobby ever since I had to quit all other forms of entertainment. I will probably have about an hour a week to read. This is why I would like to ask, what are the absolute, must read books.
It is preferable if you can limit this to the shortest amount of books, with the widest range/type of ideas possible (I know it sounds strange). Currently here is what I got and my explanations for them:

The Upanishads,
"In the Buddha's Words: An Anthology of Discourses from the Pali Canon":
I realized that I have never read anything outside of the western world, and that I could be missing out. I feel like these are two most important texts for Hinduism and Buddhism, but if you can think of any better ones, then let me know. I am looking for more so a summary. I have already started reading the Upanishads, and I really like it.

The Iliad
The Odyssey
The complete works of Plato
The complete works of Aristotle (both volumes):
This is because I have heard alot of good things about the greeks. My friend gets to read alot more then I do because he chose a different life path, and he recommended that I read these. I see alot of people here really like them as well. I had an old book on Plato, and I read a few dialogues from it, and I really liked it. And Philosophy is one of my main interests, so I know that I will enjoy these.

Epictetus Discourses and Enchiridion
Letters of a Stoic by Seneca
Meditations by Marcus Aurelius:
If I can get something positive from reading, then I would certainly like to. From the very little I've read online, these seem like some books that I simply have to read. I am actually very looking forward to these. I like books that actually have a practical application. Essentially self-help, but in the least bullshit way possible. I want positive philosophy. I know there are people here who will complain about these, but I am fairly set on these.

Before the greeks: ?????
Is there anything I need to read before the Greeks? I saw that there is a lit chart for the bronze age, but how much of it is ESSENTIAL. I mean like breaking it down into a few books. I have thought that maybe I will read the Epic of Gilgamesh, and Beowulf, but am I missing any other important ones? I don't know as I haven't read them, and I am having a hard time choosing the important books from before the Greeks.

The Aeneid
The stoics (previously mentioned):
What do I NEED from the Romans? On the Republic Cicero, Epicurea, Plotinus, Metamorphoses. These are all books that I am considering, but I seriously have no idea which of these to add to my list. I need only the BEST.

>> No.19082142

After the romans:?????
Please don't give me that bullshit 100 book chart. I simply don't have the time (it is very sad). I am thinking of adding Dante's inferno to the list, because of what I have heard about it. What I really want is all the greatest literature condensed into the shortest list possible. What is essential, the greatest works to come forth in the past 2000 years, condensed into a short list. My interest are primarily philosophy, religion, great epics and poems, logic, really anything to be honest. If you have other recommendations, feel free to let me know, anything goes. But please no bloated charts. The books on my list now I got from quickly skimming the other charts and just pulling what seemed important.

I think the maximum length of my list will probably be about 30. So that if I am only able to get through a book every year or so, that I will actually be able to finish them in my lifetime. Even better if you can recommend an order to them. The number is malleable though. For example, if the essential literature absolutely cannot fit into 30, and I could get much much more from a list of the best 50, then I can consider it. I will find a way to make time.

>inb4 "Then why are you wasting your time right now making this post"
Because I believe that it is important for me to make a plan and figure out exactly what to read. I don't want to spend all my free time on this for years, just to realize that it was all a waste since I read the wrong books (this is a huge anxiety of mine). And since you guys seem to be the experts in that regard, I figure I have come to the right place. I believe it was worth it to sacrifice my reading time for this week to do this.

Summary:
Upanishads
"In the Buddha's Words: An Anthology of Discourses from the Pali Canon":
The Iliad
The Odyssey
The complete works of Plato
The complete works of Aristotle (both volumes):
The Aeneid
Epictetus Discourses and Enchiridion
Letters of a Stoic by Seneca
Meditations by Marcus Aurelius:
Epic of Gilgamesh?
Beowulf?
Dante's inferno?

Looking back at it I know my list seems to consist of mostly older books, but that's because I know much more about older literature then I do about modern stuff. So it was easier for me to add older books to the list. But if anyone can help filling in the more modern stuff, I would be very thankful.

>> No.19082165

>>19082132
You don't have one hour a week to read, you just want to be fed a speedrun to pseudom.

>> No.19082177

Tldr
Wtf?

>> No.19082222

>>19082165
You know what, I am on the internet I can say what I want, so fuck you man. No not an hour a week. I am busy from 6-10. I have from 10-11 pm every night in order to brush my teeth, and shower. So I guess that if I can get that done in half an hour. Then I actually have 0.5 hour a day x 7 = 3.5 hours. Are you happy. Was my point not made that I don't have much time? It was hyperbole to get the point across.

>Pseudom
Well fuck you then. I read what I want. Wtf are you talking about pseuddom. (Should be two d's by the way). Name one book on that list, that is Pseud. Since when are the two most basic religious texts of the East pseud. How is the basic texts of the greek pseud. How are epic poems pseud. How is dante inferno pseud. If I wanted pseud book, I would have put Neet she, Hegel, and a bunch of modern philosophical stuff. Fuck you man. I give up, I'm just gonna delete thread. I said too much anyways. Then I'm gonna get my fucking kobo, put those books on it. And call it a fucking day. Those are the books I'm reading for the rest of my life, good night, I have shit to do.