[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 358 KB, 500x616, 1282131455047.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1922431 No.1922431 [Reply] [Original]

LET'S DO IT

LAST THREE READS:
CURRENTLY READING:
NEXT THREE READS:

DON'T FORGET TO RECOMMEND AT LEAST ONE THING PRIOR TO POSTING YOUR OWN LIST.

LAST THREE:
THE MISER - MOLIERE 4/5 (1668) THIS IS THE SECOND PLAY I HAVE READ BY MOLIERE, WITH THIS ALSO HAVING THEMES OF MATERIALISM AND MEN USING THEIR OWN FAMILY FOR THEIR OWN BENEFIT, EVEN IF IT IS AGAINST THEIR WILL. INTRIGUING HOW RELEVANT HIS WORKS ARE TO THIS DAY. GREAT TO USE WHEN PEOPLE COMPLAIN ABOUT: "PEOPLE THESE DAYS HAVE BECOME SO GREEDY AND MATERIALISTIC, WAH WAH WAH, WHY IS SOCIETY SUDDENLY SO BAD?"

DAPHNIS AND CHLOE - LONGUS 4/5 (2AD) SHORT TALE OF TWO ADOLESCENTS IN LUST TO MAKE LOVE WITH EACH OTHER, WITH NO ONE TO TELL THEM WHAT LOVE IS. PRETTY INFLUENTIAL TEXT FOR MODERN NOVELS, AND YET IT HAS ONLY 166 RATINGS ON GOODREADS, VERY DISAPPOINTING.

RESURRECTION - TOLSTOY (1899) 4/5. HIS LAST MAJOR WORK, WHICH MANY HAVE CLAIMED AS HIS SEEPING INTO CRAZY OLD MAN TOLSTOY, WITH HIS CONTINUAL RELIGIOUS PREACHING THROUGHOUT THE NOVEL AND OTHER SHORTER TEXTS HE WROTE AROUND THE TIME, AS A RESULT OF HIS OWN RELIGIOUS ENLIGHTENMENT. AND YET, IT IS NOT AS BAD, NOR PREACHY AS EVERYONE MAKES IT OUT TO BE. FROM WHAT I GATHERED FROM THE STORY IS THAT BEING RELIGIOUS IS NOT AN INTEGRAL FACTOR FOR ONE'S OWN REDEMPTION. VERY INTERESTING WORK WITH THE DISCUSSIONS TOWARDS THE LATER END OF THE WORK SIGNALLING THE UPCOMING REVOLUTION IN RUSSIA.

CURRENT:
TWENTY YEARS AFTER - DUMAS (1845). PRETTY MUCH JUST STARTED, NOT MUCH TO SAY

NEXT THREE:
THE IMAGINARY INVALID - MOLIERE (1673)
SENTIMENTAL EDUCATION - FLAUBERT (1869)
VIRGIN SOIL - TURGENEV (1849), OR ANOTHER PLAY BY MOLIERE TO GIVE ME A BREAK FROM TWO PRETTY INTENSE WORKS.

>> No.1922434

I RECOMMEND MOLIERE TO ALL, AS ALMOST EVERYONE HERE SEEMS TO BE IN LOVE WITH WILDE AND WISHES FOR MORE WIT IN THEIR LITERATURE. HIS ARE SHORT, AND EASY TO SAVOUR. COULDN'T RECOMMEND A BOOK TO MYSELF YOU SEE.

>> No.1922442

>>1922434
IT'S VERY LOUD IN HERE SO I'M HAVING TROUBLE HEARING YOU, BUT I APPRECIATED TARTUFFE. I ASSUME THAT'S THE FIRST ONE YOU READ, BUT IF IT ISN'T, YOU DEFINITELY SHOULD.

>> No.1922443

Turn off caps fag

>> No.1922449

>>1922442
AS A MATTER OF FACT, THE FIRST ONE I READ WAS THE BOURGEOIS GENTLEMAN. TARTUFFE, THE IMAGINARY INVALID, AND THE PRETENTIOUS YOUNG LADIES ARE THE THREE MOLIERE PLAYS I HAVE IN MY CURRENTLY READING LIST, SO WILL GET AROUND TO THEM IN THE NEAR FUTURE.
>>1922443
YOU SHOULD KNOW BY NOW THAT WHINING ABOUT MY CAPS WON'T DO ANYTHING OTHER THAN PISS YOU OFF MORE AS I TELL YOU THAT I WON'T BE TURNING OFF MY CAPS.

>> No.1922450

I READ THE MISER BACK IN HIGHSCHOOL, IT WAS PRETTY INTERESTING BUT I NEVER PURSUED ANYMORE OF MOLIERE'S WORK, PERHAPS I SHOULD SINCE I'M IN A READING DROUGHT AT THE MOMENT.

>> No.1922451
File: 248 KB, 481x500, 1284138736893.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1922443
>2011
>does not know caps guy

>> No.1922453

>>1922450
DO IT MAN! AND SINCE MANY OF HIS WORKS ARE IN PUBLIC DOMAIN, YOU CAN JUST GET THEM IN A BLINK OF AN EYE, BUT I DON'T RECOMMEND EXCESSIVE READING FROM A PC/LAPTOP SCREEN. INVEST IN AN E-READER IS MY RECOMMENDATION

>> No.1922456

Turn off caps ploxx

>> No.1922463

LAST THREE READS:
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? – Philip K. Dick
The Colour Out of Space – H.P. Lovecraft
Fuel – Edited by John Knechtel

CURRENTLY READING:
The Road - Cormac McCarthy
Tomorrow's Eve - Villiers de l'Isle-Adam (Will probably never actually finish)
Dracula - Bram Stoker (Didn't read for a class this semester that I managed to get a B+ in. May pass it up.)

NEXT THREE READS:
The Sickness unto Death - Kierkegaard
Brave New World - Aldous Huxley (2nd read)
Fight Club (2nd read)

>> No.1922466

Well, I know you're getting into French stuff lately, caps. Maybe look into Boris Vian? I hear a lot of good things about him, but he's kind of right on that cusp of WWII, so. Also! If you haven't heard of him already, Mikhail Zoshchenko might be someone you'd like.

LAST THREE READS:
>The Day of the Owl by Leonardo Sciascia
[3/5] I didn't really get into this one until right at the end - it became a lot less convoluted to me, and things actually started getting done vs confusing (for me) discussion on random Sicilian colloquialisms. I honestly found the coda at the end of the book more interesting than the actual ending - I was not aware of the restrictions that were/used to be placed on Italian authors, how they can't depict people of authority as buffoons or corrupt. And how this affected Sciascia's pruning of the novel into what eventually became just a novella, because he didn't "feel heroic enough to face charges of libel and slander." Very interesting stuff, imo. I probably would have appreciated this much more overall if I knew more about Italy, but I'm still going to be picking up another book by Sciascia somewhere along the line.

>Definitely Maybe by Arkady and Boris Strugatsky
[3.5/5] Picked this one up after someone on /lit/ mentioned it being kind of like a Twilight Zone episode. And since I'd already read Roadside Picnic and wanted to read more Strugatsky stuff, I though I might as well! I greatly enjoyed this one, especially all the suspense and confusion at the beginning. It definitely did remind me of a Twilight Zone episode in some respects, especially the slight hint of moral tale at the end and the choice the narrator has to make. I loved the dubiousness of the sci-fi elements as well.

>> No.1922467

>>1922466
>A High Wind in Jamaica by Richard Hughes
[4.5/5] It was amazing - about an English family living in Jamaica whose home is destroyed in a hurricane, so the parents send the children back to England. On the way, their ship is intercepted and the children are taken aboard a pirate ship. Despite the adventure-y premise, it's actually a very unsettling book. Definitely not a children's book, though it is told through the perspective of the children involved. The completely uninterested detachment and the almost negligible moments of self-awareness combined sort of make the whole escapade seem surreal. Especially once they do make it back to England. There were so many quotable phrases in this - those little bits of revealed universal experience that make me love reading in the first place. I wish I'd been marking them down somewhere, but you'll easily find some every few pages. I picked up The Fox in the Attic by the same guy to read sometime, but I feel like I probably just read his magnum opus. Because it was absolutely wonderful.

CURRENTLY READING:
>Jakob von Gunten by Robert Walser
>The Real Story of Ah-Q and Other Tales of China by Lu Xun

NEXT THREE READS:
>Kornel Esti by Dezso Kosztolanyi
>The Street of Crocodiles and Other Stories by Bruno Schulz
>Stoner by John Williams

>> No.1922471

>>1922466
I'M MAINLY CHILLING IN THE 1800'S AS OF LATE, JUST TRYING TO WORK THROUGH ESSENTIAL FRENCH LITERATURE FIRST, THAT AND OF COURSE READING THEM DELICIOUS RUSSIAN WORKS.

>> No.1922481

Last three:

A Clockwork Orange - Burgess(3.5/5)
Animal Farm - Orwell (3/5)
Lolita - Nabokov (5/5)

Currently Reading:
To The Lighthouse - Virginia Woolf. Currently about 50 pages in, and I absolutely cannot say if I am loving it or totally apathetic to its existence. Will report back later.

Next Five (five since they are part of the only ones left in my personal goal for the summer, which I'm happy to say I should have achieved by august. then I'll probably read a bunch of Russian short stories.)
Sirens of Titan - Vonnegut
1984 - Orwell
Walden - Thoreau
White Noise - Delilo
The Castle - Kafka
>>1922467
Can't say I can recommend anything in particular since I'm a newb to literature, but I'll recommend The Sound and the Fury by Faulkner if you've been avoiding it. One of my favorite reads as of yet.

>> No.1922487

Last Three:
>Pale King by DFW (2011)
Sort of jumbled, not cohesive as a novel. Pretty good for a collection of shorts. One novella-length piece in the middle is amazing. Some of his best writing ever, would've undoubtedly been better than IJ had he not kicked it.
>Lolita by Ivanmir Tolstoevski (1955)
Not bad. Seriously overrated. Nabokov draws attention to puns he thinks are genius but are actually trite. There is a glimmer of talent there, enough to make me want to read something of his later (ideally less "showy") work.
>Springer's Progress by David Markson (1977)
A filthy, sad book. Splendidly written. Like reading only the dirty parts of Joyce.

Current:
>The Recognitions by William Gaddis (1955)
Halfway through. Phenomenal. Absolutely perfect prose, but not quite as musical as Joyce.

>> No.1922517

Last 3:

When Red is Black by Qiu Xiaolong. 2/5. It was okay. A better mystery than A Loyal Character Dancer, but without any of the interesting characterization that was present in that book.

The Sword of The Lictor by Gene Wolfe. 4/5. A fine third book in this very interesting fantasy/sci-fi series. Curiouser and curiouser.

The Girl With Glass Feet by Ali Shaw. 1/5. Didn't really enjoy it. Expected whimsical fairy-tale type stuff, got dysfunctional families, alcoholics, and suicide.

Currently reading:

Metamorphoses by Ovid. I'm in the middle of book IV and loving it so far. It took a little while to get used to how he just jumps from one story to the next, but after I did it seems to flow really well. 'Echo and Narcissus', 'Pyramus and Thisbe', and Phaethon I and II have been my favorites so far.

Next 3:

Titus Groan by Mervyn Peake
Living in The End Times by Slavoj Zizek
The Citadel of The Autarch by Gene Wolfe

>> No.1922523

>>1922517
>>1922487
>>1922463
Not going to recommend anything to other people?

>> No.1922527

>>1922523

>implying anyone actually reads these threads

>> No.1922531

Last Three:

Johnny Got His Gun - Dalton Trumbo (5/5)
Lolita - Vladimir Nabokov (4/5)
The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald (5/5)

Currently Reading:

Basic Economics - Thomas Sowell

Next Three:

Kafka's Short Stories - Kafka
The Metamorphosis - Kafka
The Trial - Kafka

And then the Castle, by Kafka.

>> No.1922534

>>1922523
My bad, I actually already recommended Tartuffe (not that you'd know). From my list, I'd recommend The Recognitions the most, even though I haven't finished it. General recommendations I'd go with >Wittgenstein's Mistress by David Markson

>> No.1922535

>>1922527
I do, especially when people give their thoughts on their most recently read books. And I'd love for recommendations to be made.

>> No.1922541

>>1922531

>All that Kafka

Jeez you're going to be miserable by the time you get through The Castle.

>> No.1922544

>>1922523
>>1922463 I am this guy
You made me feel bad so I will.

"Electric Sheep" was good work, though I am not the biggest fan of Dick's minimalist descriptions. It was my second read so perhaps the impact was lessened, but it was still entertaining. It's particular focus on empathy as a symbol of humanity was outstanding though. 4/5
I wasn't impressed with Lovecraft's most glorified work. It wasn't particularly scary for me. Maybe I just don't get Lovecraft's fear of the cosmos beyond or I found his constant paragraphs droll, but it didn't hold the same impact as some of the other stuff I read, such as "Facts COncernin the Late Arthur Jermyn and His Family." 2/5. Looking forward to Shadow Over Innsmouth though.
Fuel was a non-fiction compilation of essays and cool pictures about energy consumption and alternate sources. It was alright, a good read if you're into that sort of thing. One interesting concept I liked was the construction of bike highways built along roads and highways in cities that function as an alternate form of morning commute. 3/5, giving it some slack since the pictures were neat.

>> No.1922556

>>1922541
The reading list I've constructed for myself has me reading only certain authors for long periods of time. After that I'm reading like three Faulkner novels in a row.

>> No.1922593

Winter's Tale by Mark Helpin- not bad, whimsy up the ass
FIASCO by Frank Partnoy- book about the banking clusterfuck pretty good
Gardens of the moon by Erickson- read this book because someone here suggested it - it sucks smelly balls
Everyman in this village is a liar, can't remember the author's name- pretty gripping account of a woman reporter's time in the middle east, solid book worth reading
Now reading At Play in the Fields of the Lord by Matthiessen

>> No.1923495

>>1922534
I'M SORRY IF I WAS UNAWARE OF ANY RECOMMENDATIONS MADE BY YOU FOR ME.

>> No.1923522

Last three:

The Plague
The Brothers Karamazov
Eating the Dinosaur

Currently Reading:
The Queen of Spades and other Stories, Pushkin

Next Three
Down and out in paris and london, Orwell
Steppenwolfe, Hesse
Girl with curious hair, dfw

I bought Spring Torrents by turgenev but I think I wanna take a small break from russians. Plus I want to buy The Death of Ivan Ilyich and the Adolescent and maybe CP so I can do a russian binge.

>> No.1923526

>>1923522
FUCK YEAH.

ADDING THE ADOLESCENT TO MY CURRENTLY READING LIST BECAUSE OF YOUR POST.

IT WILL BE A SAD DAY WHEN I'VE READ ALL THE RUSSIAN GREATS, BUT THEN WHEN I'M AN OLD MAN I CAN SIT BACK AND THINK OF THE OLD DAYS WHEN I WAS JUST A BABY CAPSGUY AND THEN RE-READ SOME OF MY FAVOURITES, LIKE WAR AND PEACE, LIFE AND FATE.

>> No.1923534

Really recommend Chronic City by Jonathan Lethem.

LAST THREE:

Naked Lunch - Burroughs
The War of Art - Pressfield
American Psycho - Ellis

CURRENTLY:
A Dance with Dragons (inb4 derp, it's a fun summer read)
Nanny State - Harsanyi

NEXT THREE (Probably):
Freedom - Franzen
Richard Yates - Lin. I wanna see what the fuss is about for myself.
Righteous Indignation - Breitbart

>> No.1923542 [DELETED] 
File: 61 KB, 500x280, shocked[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1923526
Well that saves me the trouble of posting again to recommend something.

btw

>mfw the ending of the queen of spades

>> No.1923544

>>1923534
I really liked Motherless Brooklyn but Fortress of Solitude and the romance one really don't grab my attention. How do you think it stands up against Motherless Brooklyn?

>> No.1923553 [DELETED] 
File: 6 KB, 90x115, brownbear from the tripfag pic (group shot outside bar).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>this thread
>people thinking this is /lit/ related
>mfw there is no actual discussion of literature going on
>just people listing random bullshit no one cares about

i know a lot of you are quite young and have no formal education in English Literature, but you at least try and look at a text critically from time to time, the levels of retardedness in this thread are embarrassing.

especially capsguy who can't string a coherent though together about any of his books because he doesn't even read them, just skims them extremely quickly so he can add another line to his 'high score' list.

he's like Harold Bloom, but not intelligent or worthwhile in the slightest

>> No.1923563

>>1923553
>sad tripfag is butthurt people actually enjoy capsguy threads

aw

>> No.1923568

>i know a lot of you are quite young and have no formal education in English Literature,

Doesn't that inclue you?

>> No.1923570

Last 3:

Nabokov - Pale Fire
Mann - The Magic Mountain
Melville - The Whale

Currently:

- Infinite Jest

Next 3:

- Gulliver's Travels (Swift)
- Faust (Goethe)
- Dubliners (Joyce)

>> No.1923569 [DELETED] 

>>1923563
>>1923563

>thinks i'm sad that uncultured and unintelligent swine enjoy telling people what books they're reading whilst not offering any new analysis, insight or coherent thought on the actual books themselves.

hi capsguy!

>> No.1923576

Last three:
At Home - Bill Bryson
haven't actually read much this summer, can't think of anything else

Current:
A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man - Joyce (re-read)
The Brothers Karamazov - Dostoevsky (on hold)

Next:
Ulysses - Joyce
A Game of Thrones - GRRM
A Clash of Kings - GRRM

Going to re-read ASoIaF in preparation for ADWD. Also tackling Ulysses. Should be a fun rest of the summer.

>> No.1923581

>>1923569
why don't you tell us how much you don't care some more?

>> No.1923585 [DELETED] 
File: 17 KB, 300x231, litlitlit.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1923581
>>1923581

why don't you calm down your analpain kiddo?

>> No.1923590
File: 51 KB, 504x353, WGW_WorldsGreatest-504px.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1923542
DID I NOT TELL YOU IT HAD A SOLID ENDING?

>> No.1923603

>>1923590
Yeah, I'm on the last story now, it's called The Captain's Daughter but I think it might be unfinished too.

>> No.1923607

>>1923603
WHEN I WAS READING THAT PARTICULAR TALE, MY EX-GIRLFRIEND WHO I WAS VISITING IN JAPAN HIT THE KINDLE OUT OF MY HAND AND TOLD ME TO STOP READING ALL THE TIME. SHE TOLD ME: "CAPSGUY, YOU'RE ON HOLIDAYS, MY FAMILY IS HOSTING YOU FOR THESE TWO WEEKS OUT OF THE GOODNESS OF THEIR HEARTS. ALL YOU DO IS READ, WHY DON'T YOU TAKE IN THE SIGHTS?"

SOMETIMES BEING ENGROSSED IN YOUR HOBBIES CAN HAVE NEGATIVE CONSEQUENCES. THAT WAS A GOOD LESSON LEARNED.

REGARDLESS, IT IS A PRETTY INTERESTING TALE WHERE YOU MIGHT WANT TO READ UP THE SUBJECT MATTER PRIOR TO READING IT, TO BETTER FAMILIARISE YOURSELF WITH THE SETTING, NOT ESSENTIAL THOUGH. IT DOES HAVE AN ENDING TOO.

>> No.1923613

Last Three Reads: I don't remember any before my last one read which was God and the New Physics by Paul Davies. Might have been Food of the Gods by Terence Mckenna and something school-related, I would guess that it was Dawn by Elie Wiesel.

Currently Reading: Cosmos by Carl Sagan

Next Three:
The Illustrated Man by Ray Bradbury (already read a few of the stories in school out of order, want to get full experience).

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

The Defense by Nabokov

>> No.1923615

>>1923607
Same thing happened to me recently... I've been living on a huge city for about four months now and just now is that I've gotten around to going to it's most iconic landmark. But I don't mind reading a lot and not sightseeing.

Reading is kind of like sightseeing, you're still on unknown territory, except interesting things are more likely to happen in a book.

>>1923613
Have you read Atom by Lawrence Krauss? It's the story of the entire universe told from the point of view of a single atom.

>> No.1923642

>>1923615
THERE'S SOMETHING SPECIAL ABOUT READING IN A SURREAL SETTING. READING NETOCHKA NEZVANOVA IN ONE SITTING AT NIGHT GINZA, TOKYO, JAPAN AS I WAS WAITING FOR THE TRAIN TO OSAKA ADDED JUST THAT BIT EXTRA TO THE READING EXPERIENCE.

I'M THE TYPE OF GUY THAT USUALLY CANNOT LIE IN BED READING FOR LONG PERIODS OF TIME, I LIKE TO DO IT OUTSIDE, OR IN A NICE INDOOR LOCATION BETTER SUITED TO READERS

>> No.1923663

Incoming list of trashy horror!

Last 3:
Colour out of Space: HP Lovecraft
Cabal & Hellbound Heart: Clive Barker
Dune Trilogy

Current 3:
Good Omens: Terry Pratchett
Imajica: Clive Barker
Cell: Stephen King

Next 3:
Not really sure. Need to dig up some decent horror. Clive Barker is still working on the book where 'Pinhead' dies. I forget the name.

>> No.1923664

>>1923642
Sounds perfect for someone who is concerned more with being a reader than reading.

>> No.1923674

LAST THREE READS:
A Clockwork Orange (7/10)
Mother Night (7/10)
Of Mice and Men (9/10)

CURRENTLY READING:
Breakfast of Champions

NEXT THREE:
Blood Meridian
American Psycho
The Sirens of Titan

>> No.1923676

>>1923664
I GET SLEEPY WHEN LYING ON MY BED, HARDER TO CONCENTRATE

>> No.1923685

>>1923676

I read on the toilet or in the bath. Bed or chair just makes me fall asleep.

Can't beat a massive shit and a few pages of a good book.

>> No.1923776

>>1923642
I like reading outside, like in one of those café inside franchise bookshops in the US, because everyone is reading there and it won't look odd, but I never read outside, unless I'm in the metro or sitting at some waiting room. I always think I'll look ridiculous or something.

So, I just read in my bed or next to the window.

>>1923663
Thomas Ligotti seems to be the less trashy horror writer right now, there's a thread in the frontpage right now, I think.

>> No.1924070
File: 213 KB, 1200x1009, bcvbvcbcvbvcbcvb.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

LAST THREE READS:
American Psycho - Bret Ellis Easton
Needful Things - Stephen King
Lolita - Vladimir Nobokov

CURRENTLY READING:
Conversation in the Cathedral - Mario Varas Llosa

NEXT THREE READS:
The Convent - Panoz Karnesiz
Love and Shadows - Isabel Allende
The Complete Short Stories - Franz Kafka

All the 3 previous books were good, enjoyable in their own ways. Cathedral is abysmal, almost as bad as Twilight. The next 3 books look good.

>> No.1924080

>>1922431
Current: Great Expectations, I think it is shit.

Next: The magic pudding.

>> No.1924082

CAPSGUY WHY DO YOU USE ONLY CAPS? IS THERE A STORY BEHIND THIS OR ARE YOU ONLY LOOKING FOR ATTENTION?

>> No.1924085

>>1924082
YOU SEEM LIKE THE PERFECT ONE TO TELL USSssss

>> No.1924094

Last Three:

Lolita (4/5, beautifully written, but can be a bit boring at times)
Hamlet (4/5)
Crime & Punishment (5/5, this was really good, I couldn't put it down, looking forward to more Dostoevsky)

Currently Reading:

On The Road
Odyssey

Next Three:

Ulysses
Breakfast of Champions
As I Lay Dying

>> No.1924103

Lot of people reading Lolita lately, I'd like to suggest Ada or Ardor, and/or Pale Fire to both the people who are underwhelmed and are enjoying it.

>> No.1924106

>>1923522
update

Last three:

The Plague, Camus
The Brothers Karamazov, Dosto
The Queen of Spades and other Stories, Pushkin

Currently Reading:
Steppenwolfe, Hesse

Next Three
Down and out in paris and london, Orwell
Girl with curious hair, dfw
Post Office, Bukowski

I just bought Post Office today. I also bought a small book with Ginsberg's Howl :D

>> No.1924111

>>1924103
summers is here, newfags read lolita a lot. I don't mean this in any perjorative way.

>>1924094
On The Road and the Odyssey must be a fucking awful combination.

>> No.1924118

>>1924111
Yea, it sort of is,I started the Odyssey first, but I think I'm going to finish On The Road before I continue. I don't understand the hate for OTR though, so far it's pretty entertaining, sure the characters are shitty people, but that won't make me dislike the book.

>> No.1924120

>>1924118
People just like to hate on the Beats, they used to be cool, but now it's cool to hate what used to be cool.

>> No.1924241

>>1924120
The Beat generation were hipsters in the truest sense of the word, which is why everyone hated them.
I loved On the Road. It's one of those books that just makes you want to get up and get out and live life.

Last:
>Wharton - Ethan Frome - B+
I didn't like the moral ambiguity or how she handled the accident but it's a beautiful little book
>DeLilo - White Noise - B-
The beginning hinted at something big and it didn't really deliver. The whole fear of death thing just sunk it for me.
>Tutuola - The Palm-Wine Drinkard - A-
I don't know if it's suppose to be fable or fiction. Or if any of it is suppose to make any sense but I liked it.

Current:
Atwood - The Blind Assassin
Roy - The God of Small Things
Twain - Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

Next:
Don't know

>> No.1924434

Last three reads: The Hearing Trumpet, Daily Life in Victorian England, Valerie and Her Week of Wonders.

The Hearing Trumpet is one of the funnest books I've read in a long time.

Currently reading: Gods of Pegana, Celtic Myths and Legends

Next three reads: The Last Unicorn, Don Quixote, Deathless

>> No.1925047

>>1924082
YES, AN AMAZING TALE THAT WILL BE TOLD ANOTHER TIME.

>> No.1925378

Bump

>> No.1925510
File: 18 KB, 185x300, Jakob_von_Gunten.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1922466
>>1922467
Me again. Finished up Jakob von Gunten and also read R.U.R. by Karel Capek.

Jakob von Gunten was extremely enjoyable to me. I love reading in bursts, so the diary entry-type format really appealed to me. I also loved how most of the sections were more or less just vignettes, with the protagonist giving his musings and judgements on his classmates, the city, customs, and life in general. All that while still moving the plot forward and creating a very interesting, if not terribly relatable, character. Towards the end it got especially involving, with the dream sequences and the final agreement and promise of a life to be lived fully.

R.U.R. I thought was a very interesting play, even beyond the fact that it was the first instance of the word robot. It seems like it at least superficially hints at most of the robot-humanity themes that Asimov and others cover later on in sci-fi. And the last act and the epilogue are especially dramatic and meaningful (and full of very creepy imagery). Would love to see it performed sometime in my life.

>> No.1925542

Last 3 :
The Bone People - Keri Hulme - NZ literature, filled with symbolism and child abuse

For whom the bell tolls - hemingway

irvine welsh - filth

currently reading - war and peace volume 1

next three :
war and peace vol 2
war and peace vol 3
war and peace vol 4

:P

>> No.1925564

Last three:
Ecclesiastical History of the English People by Bede
Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell
Seize the Day by Saul Bellow

Current:
The History of the Kings of Britain by Geoffrey of Monmouth

Next three:
The Decameron by Giovanni Boccaccio
The Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey Chaucer
The Way We Live Now by Anthony Trollope

>>1924434
Based on that Celtic Myths you're reading, I wonder if you've heard of Fairy Faith in Celtic Countries by W.Y. Evans-Wentz? I haven't read it yet, but I've flipped through it. It seems pretty good if you're into the folklore of the Celtic people.

>> No.1925669

Bump

>> No.1925686

Last:
Shakespeare (assorted plays, a good dozen or so)
Magic Mountain
Lost Girls

Current:
Finnegans Wake
Pale King

Next:
The Golden Lotus
Le mur
Ficciones (Borges)

I recommend reading what this anon's reading:
>>1923570

Else, Pale King, keep with the times. I read for research sake.

>> No.1925717

>>1925564
Many thanks.

>> No.1925752

I recommend everyone to read Death in Venice by Thomas Mann. It's a really great and introduction to Mann and it almost made me want to have sex with a young boy. Also, it's only like 100 pages.

Last 3:

Winner Take Nothing - Hemingway. (3/5), assorted stories all of them pretty good, none that are really amazing though.
Man's Fate - Malraux. (2/5), The first 50 pages were not easy going and I never cared about any of the characters. The best parts are about the suicide bombing, and the part with.. well don't want to spoil, but it has to do with throwing people into a boiler furnace, not the actual being thrown into the boiler is the great part, but, you would just have to read it to understand. Sadly the book focuses too much on characters I don't care about at all and who's stories are uninteresting. The author seems to want to express what he considers great truths. The parts which focusing on the people actually in the heat of the revolution are decent though. Still, It wasn't great for me. If you are really in love with communist revolutions and existential literature you may want to check it out though.
Cyrano de Bergerac - Edmond Rostand (4/5)

Currently Reading:

The Heart is a Lonely Hunter - Carson McCullers

Next 3:

Cup of Gold - John Steinbeck
True West - Sham Shepard
Michael Kolhaas - Kleist

>> No.1925812

Haven't seen much Sci-Fi in here, so I will contribute...

Last three read:
Dune - Frank Herbert
Door into Summer - Heinlein
To Sail Beyond the Sunset- Heinlein

Currently Reading:
Contact - Carl Sagan
Dracula - Bram Stoker

Next three:
Little Brother - Cory Doctorow
Dune Messiah - Frank Herbert
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress - Heinlein

I would have to recommend Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert Heinlein.

>> No.1925821
File: 28 KB, 323x500, 0316066524.01.LZZZZZZZ[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Last 3:
Cormac McCarthy - No Country for Old Men 4.8/5
>never finished reading The Road since my house cleaner stole it, but I enjoyed this a lot more, still not big on the lack of quotation marks and apostrophes however
Lois Lowry - The Giver 3.2/5
>surprisingly good for a young adult's novel, found the dystopian society even more frightening than that in Brave New World
Ian McEwan - Saturday 4.7/5
>such an absorbing story, couldn't put it down without thinking about what was going to happen next

Currently Reading:
David Foster Wallace - Infinite Jest

Next 3:
Cormac McCarthy - Blood Meridian
Don DeLillo - Underworld
Don DeLillo - White Noise

>> No.1925843

Last 3:
Cormac McCarthy - The Road
>Excellent storytelling, amazed at his ability to say so much about the relationship between the father and son in their short conversations

William Shakespeare - Hamlet
>There is a reason everybody reads this novel, you don't need me to waste your time explaining why

Elie Wiesel - Night
>Short and powerful, the last sentence left me speechless

Currently Reading:

Jack Kerouac - On The Road
>A good summer book, like it so far but I have to be paying attention when I read it or I lose track of the stories

Next 3:

Henry Kissinger - On China
David Foster Wallace - Infinite Jest
David Foster Wallace - Collected Essay's

After the previous two I have The Pale King staring at me from my shelf, should be done by mid August

>> No.1925845

>>1925821
FUCK YEAH, AMERICA?

>> No.1925857

>>1925845
Ian McEwan isn't American.

>> No.1925870

>>1925857
DID I SAY HE WAS?

>> No.1925871

>>1925870
No, I was just pointing out one wasn't American.. please don't yell at me, I'm very sensitive.

>> No.1925875

>>1925871
ALRIGHT. YOU KEEP READING ON

>> No.1927506

Bump

>> No.1927515

>>1925821

>never finished reading The Road since my house cleaner stole it

Oh you poor baby, how hard life is.

Fucking rich people problems - you think anyone else gives a fuck?

>> No.1927526

>>1927515
>Computer
>Internet Access
>Not rich

>> No.1927532

>>1927526

Not my computer, actually, fucknut. I don't own one.

>> No.1927551
File: 5 KB, 252x150, turtle.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1927515
>Oh you poor baby, how hard life is.
>implying I was complaining at all by stating what I said

>Fucking rich people problems - you think anyone else gives a fuck?
But I'm not rich, and no, that's why I wasn't complaining. No need to be so childish and needlessly profane.

>> No.1927556

>>1927532
Be thankful a rich person was kind enough to let you use his computer.

Rich or not your whining is childish. The person didn't post that for sympathy but as an explanation for not having finished the book.

>> No.1927557

>>1927515
ALL HE WAS DOING WAS STATING A FACT, YOU WHINY POORFAG. YOU THINK ANYONE CARES ABOUT YOUR DISDAIN OF THE WEALTHY?

>> No.1927558

>>1927551

>slave-owner
>not rich

>> No.1927565

>>1927557

You think anyone cares about your disdain for his disdain?

>> No.1927570

>>1927558
>slave
>comes in once a week for a couple of hours to mop the floors and vaccuum up dog hair for well above minimum wage

>> No.1927577

>>1927570

>owns someone's labor power
>not a slave holder

You keep telling yourself that. Whatever helps you sleep at night, you bourgeois scum.

>> No.1927589

>>1927577

Couldn't said person take their labor elsewhere? No one is forcing them I assume. It's a job. Like a contract. You do x and get paid x. The person agrees and both get what they want. Why you mad?

>> No.1927595

>>1927577
>implying that overgeneralization doesn't apply to anyone's job ever who gets payed by someone else

>> No.1927596

IN AUSTRALIA AT SUPERMARKETS THE CASUAL PAY RATE IS $22 P/H

THEN IT'S 1.5 PAY RATE ON SUNDAYS, DOUBLE ON PUBLIC, AND NICE OVERTIME RATES FOR LATE NIGHTS/EARLY MORNING.

NOT EVERY COUNTRY OFFERS $5 PER HOUR LIKE AMERICA.

>> No.1927598

>>1927589

>Couldn't said person take their labor elsewhere?

To the next bourgeois taskmaster that would pay them a pittance to scrub their floors? What would be the point of that?

>> No.1927601

>>1927596
>NOT EVERY COUNTRY OFFERS $5 PER HOUR LIKE AMERICA.

Hey.... federal minimum wage is $7.25 now.

>> No.1927604

>>1927598
Learn a skill if you don't like it, get a degree.

>> No.1927605

>>1927595

You're saying that there's a vast and numerous proletariat out there being subjugated by a small number of people who own their labor power?

Why yes, I agree.

>> No.1927607

>>1923642

>does not understand what is meant by 'surreal

>> No.1927608

>>1927596

>IN AUSTRALIA AT SUPERMARKETS THE CASUAL PAY RATE IS $22 P/H

No.
Fucking.
Way.

How much is rent in ausfalia?

>> No.1927610

>>1927604

Oh yes, I'll just go get a degree with my minimum wage and three kids. Why didn't I think of that before?

>> No.1927611

>>1927598
>pay them a pittance to scrub their floors?
>Implying that pittance isn't more than what 80% of the world's population earns.

>> No.1927614

>>1927611

>lol what is cost of living

>> No.1927615

>>1927608
IT VARIES GREATLY, HOWEVER I LIVE IN A NICE APARTMENT PAYING ONLY $90 PER WEEK INCLUDING ALL UTENSILS, INCLUDING INTERNET. BUT I HAVE IT VERY GOOD, EVEN FOR AUSTRALIAN STANDARDS OF RENT.

PERHAPS AVERAGE FOR RENTING A ROOM IN SHAREHOUSE WHERE I LIVE IS $150ISH? I'VE ALWAYS STRUCK GOOD DEALS SO NEVER HAD TO WORRY ABOUT IT

>> No.1927617

>>1927610
You get the degree before you get 3 kids.That's just poor planning. Also, 3 kids and earning minimum wage. Congrats, you get food stamps and hand outs galore. Also, college is free now.

>> No.1927618

OF COURSE I SHARE THE APARTMENT WITH TWO OTHERS, BUT WE EACH HAVE OUR OWN ROOMS AND THERE IS TWO BATHROOMS.

>> No.1927619

>>1927615

>ALL UTENSILS

We talkin' forks, knives, AND spoons?

Shit nigga.

>> No.1927624

Last three: A Scanner Darkly (10/10), Flow my Tears, the Policeman Said (8/10), Dr.Bloodmoney (8/10).

Currently: Count of Monte Cristo (9/10 so far)

Last three: Catch-22, Adventure of Huckleberry Finn, Moby DIck.

>> No.1927625

>>1927619
LOL, SORRY.

I MEANT FACILITIES, LIKE GAS ELECTRICITY.

I HAVE ALREADY STARTED MY DRINKING.

>> No.1927628

>>1927615

So a week's rent is about a day's pay? That's pretty good economics right there.

And it's sunny and the women are hot and dirty, if a little bit annoying.

Bonzer. I think I'll move, I can work in a supermarket. I'm not a flaming galah. Or something.

>> No.1927629

Last three:
3001: The Final Odyssey
House of Leaves
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Current:
The Restaurant at the End of the Galaxy

Next:
Life, the Universe, and Everything
So Long, And Thanks For All the Fish
Mostly Harmless

Just rereading the Hitchhiker books. I'm probably going to reread House of Leaves a few more times and try to actually understand some of it next time.

>> No.1927632

>>1927617

>Also, college is free now.

You have no idea what you're talking about. The federal need based grant gives a maximum of $5000 a year, and that's if you're a full time student. In state tuition at a four year university is going to cost you at least twice that.

>> No.1927638

WELL, LET'S SAY YOU WORK ON CASUAL 8 HOURS A DAY, THREE DAYS A WEEK.

THAT'S $528 - 150 FOR RENT
LET'S SAY THAT PUBLIC TRANSPORT IS 30 OR SO A WEEK.

THAT'S WELL ENOUGH TO LIVE OFF OF A WEEK

AS YOU'LL ONLY BE EARNING JUST UNDER 27500, YOU WON'T BE PAYING MUCH TAX EITHER.

>> No.1927645

>>1927638

Indeed - lots of time left over for shrimps and barnies and surfing and fighting crocodiles and getting killed off stingrays as well. Truly it is the lucky country.

So, the most important question - will a British accent get me laid in Australia? Works like a fucking charm in the US and A.

>> No.1927647

>>1927638
Where in the absolute fuck is rent $150? I will move there right now.

>> No.1927648

>>1927632
>You have no idea what you're talking about. The federal need based grant gives a maximum of $5000 a year, and that's if you're a full time student.

That's funny. Because it's how I pay for my college. $5000 a SEMESTER btw, and that is just ONE grant, you can get others too. Also, you should go to a community college first where it costs $2000 including books a semester full time. 1 year and you can get a nursing degree and make 3 times minimum wage, which is what my sister did, then she went on to get a better nursing degree and makes even more money, she paid for it all by herself with grants. Or an educational degree to teach kids, you can get that at a 2 year college, lots of things you can do that will lift you way above minimum wage. All you have to do is put forth the effort. My other sister became a lawyer, she work and paid her way all the way through and took out a loan for the more expensive later schooling. Now she is rich as fuck.

>> No.1927649

>>1927645
IT DEPENDS HOW YOU LOOK BRO.

BUT MOST AUSTRALIANS ARE PRETTY LAID BACK ABOUT FUCKING

>> No.1927658

(Casually) I Have Fucked about 80 Girls, I've Lost Count

The Amount of Girls You've Fucked is Not the Sort of Thing You Count (Duuuuhhhh! Almost not even worth saying it's so obvious!)

Did I Mention I'm Straight Yet?

~ Capsguy

>> No.1927665

Hmm, I might move to Australia for a little while after I get my degree.. wait.. spiders.. nvm.

>> No.1927667

I recommend V.S. Naipaul's The Enigma of Arrival. Postcolonial ambivalence about inherited styles and identities at its fucking finest.

Last Three Reads:
Civilization and its Discontents
Pride and Prejudice
The Forever War

Currently Reading:
Postmodernism, or The Cultural Logic of Late Capitalism
New Ideas from Dead Economists
The Masque of Africa

Next Three Reads:
The Fold: Leibniz and the Baroque
Montaigne's Essays
Plato's Pharmacy

>> No.1927672

>>1927658
SO WHAT'S WRONG WITH OFFERING A ROUGH ESTIMATION AND SAYING IN THE SAME POST THAT IT'S THE TYPE OF THING YOU DON'T COUNT?

IT'S LIKE WHEN SOMEONE ASKS YOU HOW MANY TIMES YOU GO TO THE BATHROOM A DAY. YOU DON'T KNOW TO EXACTITUDE, SINCE YOU DON'T COUNT, HOWEVER YOU CAN OFFER A PRETTY REASONABLE ESTIMATE.

YOU MUST TAKE SEX AS SOME GRAND THING. YOU'RE CUTE.

NICE FAIL TROLL THERE.

>> No.1927677

>>1927672
REMEMBER, THE THREAD IN WHICH I POSTED ASKED HOW MANY GIRLS YOU HAVE FUCKED.

OF COURSE THIS ANON, WHICH IS PROBABLY BROWNBEAR POSTING WITHOUT HIS TRIP (AGAIN) DOES WHATEVER HE CAN TO TRY TO TROLL OTHERS, INCLUDING BLATANT LIES. IT REALLY IS CUTE.

>> No.1927678

>>1927665

Meh, don't worry about spiders - the snakes eat all the spiders.

Unfortunately, my job requires a large group of people who don't speak English and would like to improve. And I'm not even going to make any jokes about Australians at this point.

I dunno if I really fancy working in a supermarket. And don't Aussies hate immigrants? Or is that just brown ones?

>> No.1927681

LAST THREE READ:
Treasure Island
Star Wars: Knight Errant by Miller (Star Wars is my guilty pleasure)
The Phantom of the Opera

CURRENTLY READING
A Tale of Two Cities (I prefer to read one book at a time)

NEXT THREE READS
The Stand
God Emperor of Dune
The Hunchback of Notre Dame

I know it's all mostly entry-level and popcorn level stuff; got to start somewhere I suppose.

>> No.1927684 [DELETED] 
File: 147 KB, 400x478, tao's waifu 2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1927677
>>1927677

>accuses me of samefagging because people on this board don't fucking like him

i always signed my posts because you used to cry and bitch and moan and filter me because i destroyed you at every argument.

>> No.1927686

>>1927677

>PROBABLY BROWNBEAR POSTING WITHOUT HIS TRIP (AGAIN)

Bingo. I think you nailed it. Wouldn't be surprised if he's been b& for recent gay antics.

>> No.1927692
File: 12 KB, 300x300, e.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1927672

>(Casually) IT'S LIKE WHEN SOMEONE ASKS YOU HOW MANY TIMES YOU GO TO THE BATHROOM A DAY

Yeah, sex is exactly like that.

>YOU MUST TAKE SEX AS SOME GRAND THING. YOU'RE CUTE.

>NICE FAIL TROLL THERE.

These rhetorical tactics don't work on me because I'm not dumb like you.

>REMEMBER, THE THREAD IN WHICH I POSTED ASKED HOW MANY GIRLS YOU HAVE FUCKED.

Great excuse. You seem to be forgetting the thousands of updates about how many girls you've shagged with no prompt whatsoever over the past year or so.

>> No.1927693
File: 96 KB, 425x282, mad_kid.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1927684
>>1927684

Damn, the faggot's back.

>> No.1927705 [DELETED] 
File: 154 KB, 772x644, banned for trolling lit 7.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1927686
>>1927686

>implying if i got banned i'd stop posting with my trip

u new here?

>> No.1927723
File: 62 KB, 575x641, e.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1927672

What about number of books you've read? You seem pretty keen on counting that. You must take Reading Books as some Grand Thing. You're cute. Epic Fail Brah!

I don't believe that you could be motivated by anything other than numbers in any pursuit as you have no soul due to some childhood trauma and obviously don't do anything for pleasure. I reckon you've discovered a GoodShags to keep you motivated.

>> No.1927744

>>1927723
It's called having a goodreads account.

>> No.1927751
File: 193 KB, 1250x554, 1309642909132.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

this is the essence of brownhole

>> No.1927775 [DELETED] 
File: 84 KB, 477x345, hal spingebob.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1927751
>>1927751

what is this image supposed to convey?
seriously?

me and tom were talking, he mentioend it was Tao's birthday, we both made threads at pretty much the same time and lol'd at the coincedence,

do you not think we should celebrate the King of Lit's birthday here?

Serious answer here, about your image, not some name-calling bullshit that isn't relevant to what i just said

>> No.1927782

>>1927744
That doesn't count how many unique females you have had sex with to prove how straight you are.

>> No.1927785

>>1927775

I'm not him (what the fuck kind of name is sandwiches anyway? Fucking hell), but you've got to admit that post makes you look a bit of a wanker. King of /lit/ my arse.

Seriously, man, you spend too much time here.

>> No.1927793 [DELETED] 
File: 64 KB, 824x637, haters gonna hate tao lin.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1927785
>>1927785

not really, everyone know's Tao is the King of /lit/, i would say for definite that you're in the minority if you think otherwise

>> No.1927795

>>1927785
>Fucking hell
>wanker
>arse
>Fucking hell
>wanker
>arse
>Fucking hell
>wanker
>arse
>Fucking hell
>wanker
>arse
>Fucking hell
>wanker
>arse
>Fucking hell
>wanker
>arse
>Fucking hell
>wanker
>arse
>Fucking hell
>wanker
>arse
>Fucking hell
>wanker
>arse
>Fucking hell
>wanker
>arse
>Fucking hell
>wanker
>arse
>Fucking hell
>wanker
>arse
>Fucking hell
>wanker
>arse
>Fucking hell
>wanker
>arse

>> No.1927803
File: 267 KB, 450x709, librarian.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1927793

Whether or not that's true, your post was really bent - kissarsery towards someone who you'll never even meet.

It was a shit post, admit it. You'll feel better, and be a more complete human being.

>> No.1927807

>>1927795

Yeah, that was worth the effort.

>> No.1927817 [DELETED] 
File: 260 KB, 500x435, king of LIT.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1927803
>>1927803

i have never shit-posted on this board.

>> No.1927818

>>1927807
>>1927803

You're fucking gay. I bet you're the James Franco sympathiser from the other thread.

>> No.1927823

>>1927818

I don't even know who James Franco is.

>> No.1927824

>>1927785
> him
> what the fuck kind of name is sandwiches anyway? Fucking hell

hey buddy that's my real name fuck you deal with it

>> No.1927826

>>1927823
Yeah right.

>> No.1927834

>>1927817

Yeah, every thing you've ever posted has been brilliant, including that shit.

The self-delusion is too much. I'm off to bed.

>> No.1927843 [DELETED] 
File: 109 KB, 492x600, buttfrustrated.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1927834
>>1927834

seems like you're retreating because i ttly own3d u u li77l3 n00bl3t

>> No.1927844

>>1927834
You lost your argument with Brownbear and came across as quite jealous, I must say. You failed to maintain an appearance of casualness about your attack on him and it definitely came across like you think about him all day and night and are very, very mad with jealousy. Maybe you should calm down.

>> No.1927855

>>1927843

Nah, for real - it's coming up on 6am and I'm wasted - I can scarcely focus, and I'm heavy bored of 4chan right now, so I'm off - think what you want.

>>1927844

I didn't realise I was arguing with him, more pointing out that he had made a dick move on that occasion. As for you, what's your involvement? Maybe you should think about what the fuck you're doing white-knighting for someone who spends most of his waking hours trolling this board. Seriously, he doesn't need your help. For good or ill, this is what he does. At the moment, you're one of the beetles that feeds on the dung of the larger animals.

>> No.1927858

WHAT IS OP'S PIC I REMEMBER IT FROM MY CHILDHOOD REMEMBERING MY CHILDHOOD MAKES ME FEEL GOOD DAMMIT I NEED THIS

>> No.1927863

do you guys actually respond to brownbear posts? He's like a mentally retarded D&E, who instead of engaging in day long internet arguments rebutting you with interpretations of Gadamer and Benjamin will just reply with "lol im so smart u so buttmad xD pic related" and then he posts a picture he got from /mu/ or /b/ or whatever.

>> No.1927875 [DELETED] 
File: 27 KB, 571x460, chocalate and vanilla look uneasy.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1927863
>>1927863

so you're not going to answer my question about that image?
no real answer or what? what's the reason?

i asked you to not respond with name-calling...

>> No.1927876

>>1927858
Hats For Sale

>> No.1927878

Hey CAPSGUY. Muchos respect but I have to ask you, why do you objectively rate books? I enjoy reading your thoughts but why designate numerical value to them? I think you sort of do yourself, and the novels, a disservice.

Isn't it enough to read and point out what you liked? By rating these books do you think that you help perpetuate the concept of assigning value to an art form where no comprehensive barometer exists?

Just curious. Thanks in advance for any answers.

>> No.1927881

>>1927855
>I'm wasted
Good tactic (not), shows everyone you have a life because drinking and partying is cool

>I can scarcely focus
Lame and not believable excuse for your Epic Fail against Brownbear

>I'm heavy bored of 4chan right now, so I'm off
Wow so casual, I bet you don't spend all your time on /lit/ (NOT)

>I didn't realise I was arguing with him, more pointing out that he had made a dick move on that occasion.

Lol his post there was completely benign and unnoteworthy and I find it hard to believe you're that outraged about it. Just another excuse to make your hourly rant about him because you're mad jealous for some reason.

>At the moment, you're one of the beetles that feeds on the dung of the larger animals.

Tripfag metaphors, never heard one of those before (NOT!)

Also, what happened to "wankers" and "arses"? It's all "wasted" and "dick moves" now.

>> No.1927884 [DELETED] 
File: 18 KB, 240x286, CapsForSale.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1927876
> mfw

>> No.1927887

>>1927863
>wankers
>arses

>> No.1927897

>>1927878
Its not just Capsguy who does this - any site like Goodreads or Amazon perpetuates it. I think its become a sort of habit for social readers to do it, since they're aware a lot of people who search out their reviews are only concerned with numeric values and quick assessments, not in-depth reviews. Not to say that there aren't people who do read the reviews, but with the whole quick-information-internet-age, a lot of people just feel like skimming. That my two cents, at least.

>> No.1927901

>>1927878
Because he'd be playing video games if he hadn't stumbled into reading

>> No.1927902 [DELETED] 
File: 86 KB, 640x527, house diagnosed the whole hospital with Lupus just so he coud do this.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1927881
>>1927881

why are you defending me.
this feels weird.

>> No.1927907

>>1927897
8.3 Best New Book

>> No.1927909

>>1927902
Stop being such a faggot, Brownbear, Brownbear is raising some really good points and he doesn't need your faggot Brownbearspeak to mess them all up you queer homo I hope you get raped by polar bears with AIDS who cum inside your asshole 24/7 and pass you around like their neighborhood bearwhore with their bleeding polar bear dicks and you cry each night for your God but with every polar dick you take you realize that there is no God in the frozen hellhole that you have been sentenced to and you wish each night that you had not spoken against Brownbear like that, but your regrets are for naught.

>> No.1927912

Last Three:

The Chocolate Wars: 5/5
One of the best books I have ever read, it's a representation of societal conformity created by fear of not fitting in, religion, violence and the destruction of morality.

American Psycho: 2/5
I suppose I enjoyed reading it and it was a page turner and everything, but there wasn't much value in it so much as: Yuppies are distant from their emotions and find material things to fill their empty souls.

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: 4/5
It was as trippy as anything from Hunter S. Thompson but in a completely different atmosphere. Non-romantic view of human significance was nice. I liked everything about the book but the writing style was weak.

Current Read:
Salem's Lot
4/5 so far, it is a great book, smooth read. Like most of King's work I don't find all that much intellectual value but I enjoy it a lot. Only about a hundred pages left.

Next three:

Don't know yet. I usually just read on impulse

>> No.1927913 [DELETED] 
File: 31 KB, 500x384, slow clap.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1927909
>>1927909

> I hope you get raped by polar bears with AIDS who cum inside your asshole 24/7

>> No.1927936

>>1927912
The only person I've ever met who enjoyed The Chocolate Wars

>> No.1927970

>>1927878
OH, I WAS UNAWARE I WAS DOING A DISSERVICE FOR LITERATURE.

>> No.1927993

Guys, I want to read essential classics that are enjoyable to read, ideas?

Or should I make my own thread for this?

>> No.1927995

just read the Great Santini (10/10)
reading Lords of Discipline (awesome so far)
going to read The Prince of Tides

>> No.1928029

>>1927993
This might be best done in a separate thread, yes.

>> No.1928073

Last Three:
The Old Man and the Sea-Ernest Hemingway
Speaker for the Dead-Orson Scott Card
Fahrenheit 451-Ray Bradbury

Current:
Crap which one? I'm reading 3 right now....
1) Sherman's March-Burke Davis
2) Imajica-Clive Barker
3) The Possibility of an Island-Michel Houellebecq

Next 3:
Hell....
1) Franny and Zooey-J.D. Salinger
2) Life of Pi-Yann Martel
3) Flowers for Algernon-Daniel Keyes

>> No.1928116

>>1928073
Sorry :(

>> No.1928137

HOLY SHIT, CAPS FOR SALE, FUCK YEAH OP.

LAST THREE:
>The Greatest Show on Earth: The Evidence for Evolution" by Richard Dawkins (4/5)
>Occultation by Laird Barron (2.5/5)
>The Shadow Out of Time by H.P. Lovecraft (5/5)

CURRENTLY READING:
>The Call of Cthulhu by H.P. Lovecraft
>How the Mind Works by Steven Pinker

NEXT THREE:
>something by Philip K. Dick
>Cannabis: A History
>dunno

>> No.1928153

>LAST THREE READS:
All Gall is Divided - Cioran
Persuasion and Rhetoric - Michelstaedter
The Nature of Evil - Tsanoff

>CURRENTLY READING:
History and Utopia - Cioran

>NEXT THREE READS:
Ride the Tiger - Evola
Man and Technics - Spengler
The Reign of Quantity and the Signs of the Times - Guenon

>> No.1928177

Last:
The Word Made Flesh: A History of Christian Thought by Margaret R. Miles
The Queen's Conjuror: The Life and Magic of Dr. Dee by Benjamin Woolley
The Stranger from Paradise: A Biography of William Blake by G E Bentley

Current:
The Great Beast: The Life and Magick of Aleister Crowley by John Symonds
Taurus by Joseph Smith
Medieval Philosophy: A New History of Western Philosophy, Volume 2, by Anthony Kenny

Next:
The Tree of Life: An Illustrated Study in Magic by Israel Regardie
Psychological Types by C.G. Jung
Erasmus and the Age of Reformation by Johan Huizinga

>> No.1928179

>>1928177 recommends:

Diary of a Man in Despair by Friedrich Reck-Malleczewen

>> No.1928181

Last Three:
Cat's Cradle - Vonnegut (5/5)
Superfreakonomics (5/5)
At the Mountains of Madness - Lovecraft (4/5 I guess)

Currently:
Catch 22 (enjoying it a lot)

Next Three:
The Sirens of Titan - Vonnegut
23 Things They Don't Tell You About Capitalism - Ha-Joon Chang
Not sure, perhaps As I Lay Dying...

Still to new to literature to really recommend stuff, but most of the things on my past three were good enough to recommend to anyone interested in them.

>> No.1928184

>>1928181
>Lovecraft
>Vonnegut
Fuck yeah. You'll enjoy Sirens of Titan.

>> No.1928190

>>1925752
Michael Kolhaas - Kleist

Kleist is awesome. Badass stuff.

>> No.1928192

>>1928137
>The Shadow Out of Time by H.P. Lovecraft (5/5)

BROFIST. Definitely on of the best Lovecraft stories.

>> No.1928202

>perhaps As I Lay Dying...
>Still to new to literature

I wonder if your body is ready.

>> No.1928204
File: 10 KB, 493x402, 1307494800698.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1928192
I love the epic timelines in Lovecraft's fiction.

Shadow Out of Time is such a terrific blend of horror and sci-fi. Lovecraft has a way of mixing the fantastic and ephemeral with the natural and material that's just mindblowing.

>> No.1928207

>>1928204
*ethereal, not ephemeral

>> No.1928214

I MYSELF CANNOT STAND THE SOUTHERN DIALECT/ACCENT IN LITERATURE WHEN IT'S THROUGHOUT THE ENTIRE NOVEL. ONE OF THE REASONS WHY I HAVE YET TO READ ANY OF FAULKNER'S LONGER WORKS.

THAT AND I DON'T REALLY CARE FOR SOUTHERN USA.

>> No.1928222
File: 94 KB, 399x388, sadfrog1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1928214
>Capsguy will never be able to appreciate Faulkner and all his glory

>> No.1928225

>>1928222
THAT'S WHY IT'S BETTER I WAIT UNTIL LATER TO READ HIS WORKS. THERE IS NO NEED TO RUSH

>> No.1928230

>>1928214
The south is just a setting, the themes are universal. Come on though, the old south has it's charms. Getting drunk, not wearing shoes, being poor, fighting darkies, building barns, burning barns, fucking in barns, living in barns, getting drunk in barns, tractors, mules... straw hats... darkies. Using old jars as drinking glasses.. Fucking your sister.

>> No.1928236

>>1928230

Heh, I did a lot of things living down here in the south(ern hemisphere).

Well, OK, I hung around around barns and tractors, and I drank out of old jars. Drank some nasty mix of liqours out of one last weekend actually.

>> No.1928237

>>1928230
OH, PLEASE DON'T THINK I AM FURTHER LIMITING MY READINGS BY NOT READING SOUTHERN US LITERATURE. IT'S JUST A MATTER OF TIME.

AT THE MOMENT I'M BACK WITH THE RUSSIAN WORKS AND WORKING MY WAY INTO FRENCH AND NOW JAPANESE LITERATURE.

>> No.1928243
File: 13 KB, 340x255, malcolm12.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

LAST THREE READS:
- Animal Farm - George Orwell
- Murder in the Rue Morgue - Edgar Allan Poe
- Brave New World - Aldous Huxley

CURRENTLY READING:
- Slaughterhouse 5 - Kurt Vonnegut
- A Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde

NEXT THREE READS:
- Oliver Twist - Charles Dickens
- To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee
- Hamlet - William Shakespeare

>> No.1928282

Last Three Reads:
Lady Chatterley's Lover by D. H. Lawrence
The Conformist by Alberto Moravia
Beautiful Losers by Leonard Cohen

Currently Reading:
If On A Winter's Night A Traveler by Italo Calvino

Next Three Reads:
The Decameron by Giovanni Boccaccio
Zeno's Conscience by Italo Svevo
The Maias by Eça de Queiroz

>> No.1929373

>Last Three:
Some book on body language.
Catcher In The Rye
Romeo & Juliet

>Currently:
Guns, Germs & Steel. Despite what some fags might say, it's a pretty interesting and factual book. Diamond states that his work is just a theory, but does a splendid job in convincing the reader of the proximate(he uses that word a lot) and ultimate causes of human history. Although, he does sort of "Seinfield" the whole thing up with the over-explanation of everything.

>Next Three:
Something on music theory, possibly the first book in The Leatherstocking Series and whatever else piques my interest at the time.

>> No.1930017

>>1928282
Not bad, you literature major?

>> No.1930039

>>1928282
Se una notte d'inverno un viaggiatore...
Loved it. I mean... I made love to it, physically, it was my first hook up

>> No.1930040

Last 3:
Matias Faldbakken: Macht und Rebel
Some Perry Rhodan Crap
Augusten burroughs: Dry

Current: Some Perry Rhodan Crap

Next 3:
Matias Faldbakken: Unfun
Alexander Wagner & Charlie Houston: The Clean Team
Paul Auster: Invisible

>> No.1930046

>>1930040
Is that all modern stuff?

>> No.1930048

Last Three:

Od Magic, Patricia McKillop
The Rotter's Club, Jonathan Coe
The Great Derangement, Matt Taibbi

Currently reading:
The Limits of Power, Andrew Bacevich
Tea from an Empty Cup, Pat Cadigan

Not sure what's next.

>> No.1930051

>>1930048
Never heard these titles.

>> No.1930058

>>1930046

exclude perry rhodan.

I can higly recommend Falbdakken. This guy is the shit!

>> No.1930078

>>1930051
they're all real good, honestly surprised me

two of them are speculative fiction though so i know people get angry about that, but Rotter's Club isn't and I totally loved it, just really excellent. Wonderfully written, fascinating, funny as hell at parts. just real good.

>> No.1930079

Last Three:
Ubik, Philip K. Dick
Infoquake, David Louis Edelman
His Master's Voice, Stanislaw Lem

Currently reading:
Infinite Jest, David Foster Wallace
What technology wants, Kevin Kelly
MultiReal, David Louis Edelman
The Invisibles, Grant Morrison
A Game of Thrones, George R.R. Martin
Fooled By Randomness, Nicholas Nassim Taleb

Next Three:
I just want to finish all the others I have already started first...

>> No.1930417

Fuck you guys like books

>> No.1930429

Kerouac: Road
Dock Ellis: Country of Baseball
Vonegut: Slaughter House 55
Legman: Rationale of the Dirty Joke

>> No.1930487
File: 13 KB, 195x300, The_Real_Story_of_Ah-Q_and_Other_Tales_of_China.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1925510
And here's me again, again. Finished The Real Story of Ah-Q and Other Tales of China by Lu Xun and also finished up Today I Wrote Nothing by Daniil Kharms, which I'd been reading on for a while.

I adored so many of the stories in the Lu Xun collection. "Diary of a Madman," "In Memoriam," and "The Real Story of Ah-Q" were my favorites, along with all the ones in the last section, Old Stories Retold. There's just something about when authors rework old myths and legends that I love (Ryunosuke Akutagawa's stories, for example). Plus, as I'm pretty unfamiliar with Chinese mythology and folklore, most of the stories in that last section were completely new to me, which probably helped my love of them. Lu Xun really has a hold on crowd mentality, as well as the trappings of small villages. I learned a lot of things from this book, from society's restrictions on men's hair in early twentieth century China to a blind Russian poet who spoke Esperanto. There's just so much of everything packed into this collection. Probably going to check out some additional translations of his complete works later on.

For the Kharms book - I had already read a bit of his work because of a link someone posted on /lit/ forever ago (http://www.sevaj.dk/kharms/kharmseng.htm).). Those that I read made me extremely eager to pick up more of his work. This book includes his poetry, journal entries, stories, as well as "The Old Woman". I don't think I have many words to explain how much I love his stories. As soon I read them I feel like I have to share them with everybody (and I actually did go around reading some of the shorter ones to people). I couldn't even begin to name all my favorites, there are dozens and dozens. I will say though, that ending with "Rehabilitation" was an absolutely excellent finale. I've discovered my enjoyment of absurdist literature with Kharms, so I'll definitely be delving into that soon.

>> No.1930495

>>1930487
So what do you plan on reading next?

>> No.1930502

>>1930487
And my list thing:

LAST THREE READS:
>Today I Wrote Nothing by Daniil Kharms
>The Real Story of Ah-Q and Other Tales of China by Lu Xun
>R.U.R. by Karel Capek

CURRENTLY READING:
>The Castle of Crossed Destinies by Italo Calvino

NEXT THREE READS:
>The Assistant by Robert Walser
>Kornel Esti by Dezso Kosztolanyi
>The Summer Book by Tove Jansson

>> No.1931125

LAST THREE:
TWENTY YEARS AFTER - DUMAS (1845)
THE MISER - MOLIERE (1668)
DAPHNIS AND CHLOE - LONGUS (2AD)

CURRENT:

NEXT THREE:
THE ROCKING HORSE WINNER - LAWRENCE (1926)
TARTUFFE - MOLIERE (1664)

>> No.1931130

Typical /lit/ thought process in these threads.

-Hmmm, I guess I'll participate. I think I'll just put books that I want to read in all slots so it looks like I'm a genius.

>> No.1931136

>>1931130
TYPICAL WHINING FAGGOT THAT INSTEAD OF READING SPENDS HIS TIME WHINING ABOUT WHETHER PEOPLE HE DOES NOT KNOW MAY OR MAY NOT HAVE READ WHAT THEY CLAIM

>> No.1931138

>>1930487
I'm tempted to check out this Lu Xun collection from your description, I'm not very familiar with chinese literature or mythology though.

>> No.1931148

>>1931138
Do it!

I'm not terribly familiar with Chinese lit or mythology either, but the Penguin edition I read had a large amount of very informative endnotes (though the stories are still enjoyable without referencing them). I think really the only thing you might get confused on are the parts that reference Chinese history a lot, but those usually aren't that central to the story. And if they are, there's plenty of endnotes. It also had a very good introduction, but one that is probably best read after reading everything else, since its a bit of an info dump.

Do check it out though! I think it'd be a great intro into modern Chinese literature as well as just a wonderful book of short stories to pick up.

>> No.1931149

Last Three:

Solar (5): Belejringen af Jorden 4/5
Solar (6): Ragnarok 4/5
A song of ice and fire (1): A game of thrones 5/5

Currently Reading:

A song of ice and fire (2): A Clash of Kings

Next Three:

A song of ice and fire 3~X

>> No.1931162

Last 3:

The Heart is a Lonely Hunter - Carson McCullers. (3/5)
True West - Sam Shepard (2.5/5) Pretty funny at places, but it's nothing special.
The Price - Arthur Miller (2.5/5) Another sad Miller play. It's pretty good, but once you have read his older works there doesn't seem much point in reading this one.

Currently:

Cup of Gold - John Steinbeck. Steinbeck's first novel and there doesn't seem to be as much love for it. 45 pages in and I can see why people might not like it, it's not like the Steinbeck most people know and love. It feels very apart from the other works of him I have read. That said, definitely not bad at all.

Next 3 (Maybe probably not, I hardly ever stick to what I put down in these threads):

Green Hills of Africa - Hemingway
House Made of Dawn - Momaday
Light in August - William Faulkner (My body is now ready)

Wow, all American works.. I'm going to have to go on a French spree or something after this. Maybe I will man up and finally tackle a Victor Hugo.

>> No.1931166

>>1931162
>Light in August
My favourite Faulkner novel =]

I suggest As I Lay Dying for you.

>Last three:
On Writing- King [3.5/5]
The Raw Shark Texts [3/5]
The Great Gatsby [1.5/5. DAT UNNATURAL DIALOGUE]

>Currently reading:
Kraken- China Mieville. My first Mieville book and i'm diggin' it.

>Next three:
His Dark Materials
The Sun Also Rises
Good Omens

>> No.1931174

>>1931166
>The Great Gatsby
>Unnatural dialogue
>Unnatural
>Dialogue

You are
correct sir. I don't give a fuck what anyone says, NOBODY spoke like that in any time period, in any class of society, and it is really jarring and can take you out of it if you are
incapable of recognizing and accepting heavily stylized speech.

>> No.1931182

Aw fuck.. uh...
No Country For Old Men - Cormac McCarthy, Ulysses - James Joyce, Angels - Denis Johnson, Darkly Dreaming Dexter - Jeff Lindsay, The Death of Bunny Munroe - Nick Cave, Mogworld - Yahtzee Croshaw, American Psycho - Brett Easton Ellis

Really, I have such a chaotic way of reading that all of these each fit into those three categories.

>> No.1931188

Last three:

1. The Ashes Of Worlds - Kevin J Anderson
2. Stories of Old Daniel - Margaret King Moore
3. Cat's Cradle - Kurt Vonnegut

Currently reading:

Brave New World - Aldous Huxley

Next three:

The Final Empire - Brian Sanderson
The Well of Ascension - Brian Sanderson
The Hero of Ages - Brian Sanderson

>> No.1931194

>>1931166
>I suggest As I Lay Dying for you

Read it, but thanks anyway. Amazing novel.

>> No.1931231

>>1931188
were you as disappointed with the klikiss ending as I was? I spent most of the saga hoping for some serious action from them, and it never really happened.

>> No.1931238

LAST THREE:
TWENTY YEARS AFTER - DUMAS (1845)
THE ROCKING HORSE WINNER - LAWRENCE (1926)

CURRENT:

NEXT THREE:
TARTUFFE - MOLIERE (1664)
A MONTH IN THE COUNTRY - TURGENEV (1872)
MRS WARREN'S PROFESSION - SHAW (1898)

I HATE SAYING THINGS THAT ARE CLICHE, BUT MOLIERE WAS REALLY AHEAD OF HIS TIME. IN EVERY PLAY I HAVE READ HE IS STRAIGHT TO THE POINT OF CONCERNS WITH SOCIETY THAT ARE STILL VALID TODAY. ONE OF THE FUNNIER PLAYS THAT I HAVE READ, A CRITIQUE OF THE MEDICAL PROFESSION AND THE TRUST IN WHICH WE HAVE IN IT, ESPECIALLY FOR THOSE WITH THE MONEY TO SPEND ON IT

ROCKER HORSE WINNER IS A SHORT STORY SHOWING THE IMPACT OF CONCERNS WITH MONEY IN THE FAMILY THAT THE CHILDREN WHO GROW UP WITH IT ARE BURDENED, AND IN THEIR EXCUSABLE NAIVETY DO THEIR BEST TO SOLVE THE PROBLEMS OF THE PARENTS WHO THEY HOLD ABOVE ALL, EVEN THEIR OWN HEALTH AND WELL-BEING. ALSO OF SIGNIFICANCE CONSIDERING THE PROBLEM OF MONETARY STABILITY IN THE AVERAGE HOUSEHOLD SUCH A CONCERN FOR FAMILIES.

MAY POST SOME THOUGHTS ON TWENTY YEARS LATER TOMORROW OR LATER IF THIS THREAD IS STILL ACTIVE. CANNOT WAIT TO GET INTO SENTIMENTAL EDUCATION.

>> No.1931242

>>1931188

Um... Anything by Orwell?

Last 3: Ablutions (Patrick DeWitt), Play the Piano Drunk Like a Percussion Instrument until the Fingers Begin to Bleed a Bit (Charles Bukowski), Tropic of Cancer (Henry Miller)
Now: Tropic of Capricorn (Henry Miller)
Next 3: I have no idea. Any help?>>1931188

>> No.1931259
File: 39 KB, 400x440, 1310421106716.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1931242

I suggest to you Brief Interviews with Hideous Men by David Foster Wallace.

LAST THREE:

The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky
Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace
Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison

CURRENT:
5 Weeks in a Balloon by Jules Verne

NEXT THREE:
Journey to the Center of the Earth by Jules Verne
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne
From the Earth to the Moon by Jules Verne

>> No.1931265

Last Three: The Fry Chronicles by Stephen Fry, Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates, The House of Sleep by Jonathan Coe

Now: The Mayor of Casterbridge by Thomas Hardy

Next Three: Crying of Lot 49, Ubik, Valis, or something along those lines, trying to get into Pynchon and get a bit more Dick

>> No.1931991

bump

>> No.1932001

LAST THREE READS
Catching Fire - Hunger Games Trilogy
Dom Casmurro - Machado De Assis
Capitaes de Areia - Jorge Amado

CURRENTLY READING
100 Years of Solitude
The Lord of The Rings

NEXT THREE READS
Cat's Craddle
Harry Potter (maybe? why not)
Not sure if there's a third

I recommend you read Fight Club.

>> No.1932031

>>1931238
i'll recommend going on with the three musketeers series and moving to the vicomte de bragelonne. None of the sequels are as good as the original but for what its worth I enjoyed man in the iron mask the most. you just have to fight through vicomte and louis de la valliere to get there. Also, sentimental education is far and away my favorite Flaubert novel so enjoy.

last three
sevastopol - tolstoy
richard ii - shakespeare
runaway horses - mishima

current
under western eyes - conrad

next
the alchemist - ben jonson
the ambassadors - henry james
tales of the alhambra - washington irving

>> No.1932094

LAST THREE READS :
Tropic of Capricorn, Tropic of Cancer - Henry Miller
A Game of Thrones...

CURRENTLY READING :
Fiskadoro - Denis Johnson
A Clash of Kings...
La révolution moléculaire - Félix Guattari
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance - Pirsig

NEXT THREE READS:
Delta of Venus Erotica - Anaïs Nin
Tree of Smoke - Denis Johnson
Art as Experience - John Dewey

>> No.1932154

LAST THREE READS: Youth in Revolt series; idk I forgot

CURRENTLY READING: Some Alien book; Dune 1

NEXT THREE READS: Idk, probably something stephen king; I have no $$, so I'll have to make do with what I have.

>> No.1932846

>>1932031
WOW ANON, YOU'RE THE BEST!

YOU AND I HAVE QUITE SIMILAR READING INTERESTS, YOU DON'T HAPPEN TO HAVE GOODREADS DO YOU? I SHALL CONTINUE WORKING MY WAY THROUGH THE THREE MUSKETEERS SERIES, I'VE EVEN PUT DOWN THE LORD OF THE RINGS ON MY CURRENTLY READING LIST LAST NIGHT AS I JUST FOUND OUT THEY WERE ALL WRITTEN PRE-1950

IF YOU HAVE ANY OTHER RECOMMENDATIONS, WOULD APPRECIATE IT ANON.

ALSO, DON'T FORGET TO LET ME KNOW HOW UNDER WESTERN EYES IS, AS CONRAD IS ONE OF THE AUTHORS I PLAN ON READING ALL THE WORKS OF, AND THAT IS ONE OF THEM I HAVEN'T

LINKED IS MY 'CURRENTLY READING' LIST ON GOODREADS IF IT IS OF ANY INTEREST TO ANYONE

http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/4206268?shelf=currently-reading

>> No.1932936

>>1932154
Don't forget the library.

>> No.1932991

>>1922481
you will likely enjoy Ada or Ardour as it's heavyweight Nabokov compared to Lolita.

>last three
Rimbaud - Selected Poems -/5. I enjoyed a lot of stuff here. Especially the one about the blacksmith/french revolution? and Drunkern Boat. but equally stuff went over my head like the over9000 line mammoths. Will keep at hand to revisit as I get used to more complex poetry.

Brave New World by Huxley 3/5. I expected this to be a better novel than 1984 and although the concept is obviously more prophetic/relevant today i dont think the writing is as intense. It's pretty short and worth reading however so definetly a classic worth knocking off your list.

A Clockwork Orange by Burgess 3/5. Compared to BNW, the ideas aren't particulary striking. It's more the story of violent
youth that's used to no restraint growing-up. The effect of replacing commonly used words in the novel with russian-influenced? ones was simply annoying at first. Once you deduce the original english for each one it just seems to be a way for the character to list off terrible actions he has committed in a stylish manner. I think there were two moments where the MC should have been molested by older men and i was disappointed. so clearly the russian speak wasnt hiding anything so shocking despite what the author thinks.

>Current
Catch 22 by Heller. 1st chapter was really funny. and a really nice relaxed but comical atmosphere that feels escapist. i would love to just chill in that hospital for a year.

>Next
not sure but possibly,
Selected poems of Poe
The Road - McCarthy
Waiting for Godot -Beckett

>> No.1933102

>>1932991
even if you weren't too impressed with brave new world it might be worth your while to look at some of huxley's other novels. point counter point is usually regarded as the best but also the most complex. eyeless in gaza is quite enjoyable if you don't mind chronologically disordered stories. he also has a non-fiction work called the devils of loudun about a mass demonic possession /hysteria in 17th century france that is fascinating if that sort of thing appeals to you. and of course there's the ever popular doors of perception
>>1932846
we've traded recommendations a few times before (i was the guy going through all the faust iterations a month or so back) and even though i'm not on goodreads i already had your list bookmarked to steal recommendations. if you find yourself continuing to enjoy dumas i'd also recommend his recently discovered - like five years ago - final novel the knight of sainte-hermine. its incomplete but 900 pages gets you pretty far.

>> No.1933275

>>1932991
Yellow Chrome

>> No.1933850

>>1922431

the Nigger!!!

it was a great book.

>> No.1933872
File: 17 KB, 327x161, oh thats kind of cool.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Last three: High Fidelity [6/10], Eating the Dinosaur [8/10], Killing Yourself to Live [7.5/10]
Currently reading: Diary of Anne Frank (I don't even know how I would rate this but I find myself relating to her a lot), Slapstick (haven't gotten that far), Poisonwood Bible (on hiatus, great read so far though)
Next three: Cat's Cradle, God Bless You Mr. Rosewater, Infinite Jest (if I'm in the mood)

I'd recommend pretty much anything Chuck Klosterman wrote

>> No.1934329

>>1931162
DO IT.

I SHALL READ ALL OF THE REMAINING D'ARTAGAN ROMANCES.

THEN MY HEART WILL BE EMPTY, AS I WOULD HAVE READ:
TOILERS OF THE SEA
THE D'ARTAGNAN ROMANCES
LES MISERABLES
TOILERS OF THE SEA
THE COUNT OF MONTE CRISTO
THE MAN WHO LAUGHS

OH LORD, OH LORD.

I AM LOVING THE REALISM IN SENTIMENTAL EDUCATION. THIS IS HOW YOU FUCKING DEPICT HOW HUMANS LIVE THROUGH THEIR DESIRES WITHOUT RELYING ON PLOT. I AM LOOKING AT YOU FITZGERALD!

I LOVE IT HOW THE SCENES COME TO LIFE, THE BEGINNING SCENE STARTING ON THE SIENE IN A STEAMSHIP AS OUR ADOLESCENT HERO'S EYES FALL UPON THE WOMAN THAT THE TALE SUBSEQUENTLY CIRCULATES AROUND.

FREDERIC AND PRINCE MYSHKIN, YOU'D MAKE GREAT BROS.

ANYWAYS, IF YOU THOUGHT THAT MADAME BOVARY WAS EDGING ON CHICK LIT, FEAR NOT MEN! SENTIMENTAL EDUCATION WAS WRITTEN WITH MEN IN MIND.

THIS IS FUCKING AWESOME, PRETTY MUCH STRAIGHT AFTER I WILL SWERVE BACK TO DOSTOEVSKY AND PARTAKE IN THE READING OF ANOTHER STORY WITH A SOMEWHAT DELUDED ADOLESCENT GENTLEMAN.

The illegitimate son of a dissipated landowner, he is torn between his desire to expose his father’s wrongdoing and the desire to win his love. He travels to St. Petersburg to confront the father he barely knows, inspired by an inchoate dream of communion and armed with a mysterious document that he believes gives him power over others

>> No.1934390

>>1933872
>I'd recommend pretty much anything Chuck Klosterman wrote

oh no...

>> No.1934441
File: 29 KB, 302x432, Grimorium_Verum.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

LAST THREE READS:
What Is Your Dangerous Idea? -- John Brockman
Make Your Own Damn Movie! -- Lloyd Kaufman
Scott Pilgrim -- Bryane Lee O'Malley

CURRENTLY READING:
Boneshaker -- Cherie Priest
Grimorium Verum -- Joseph H. Peterson
Steampunk Bible -- Jeff VanderMeer

NEXT THREE READS:
White Noise -- Don DeLillo
A Princess of Mars -- Edgar Rice Burroughs
At the Mountains of Madness -- HP Lovecraft

>> No.1934453

>>1934329
I always thought "d'Artagnan Romances" only referred to Dumas' trilogy, not generally to to that style (?) of French writing.

>> No.1934544

LAST THREE READS
BLACK SWAN GREEN - DAVID MITCHELL
CLOUD ATLAS - DAVID MITCHELL
THE HOBBIT - J.R.R. TOLKIEN

CURRENTLY READING: nothing

NEXT THREE READS:
THE STAND - STEPHEN KING
THE THOUSAND AUTUMNS OF JACOB DE ZOET - DAVID MITCHELL
A CLASH OF KINGS - GEORGE R.R. MARTIN

I KNOW - SO MUCH MITCHELL. BUT HE'S A GOD!!

>> No.1935073
File: 358 KB, 300x169, 1306264304248.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

LAST THREE
- A Storm of Swords by GRRM
- Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton (because why not?)
- A Farewell to Arms by Hemingway

CURRENTLY
- A Feat for Crows by GRRM (why wont it end!?)

NEXT 3
- House of Leaves by Mark Danielewski
- Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl
- A Dance with Dragons by GRRM (please be better than AFFC)

>> No.1935083

>>1935073

Going to go ahead and say I meant Feast for Crows and not "Feat for Crows".

Though I do hope crows find an opportunity to do daring deeds.

>> No.1935089
File: 74 KB, 576x324, pg2_g_kanyespike_576..jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1934544
That feel when you find a super bitchin writer and can't stop reading them :)

>> No.1935114

>Last three
"Quantum of Solace: The complete James Bond Short stories." - Ian Fleming
"The Great Hunt" - Robert Jordan
"The Algebraist" - Iain M. Banks

>Current
"Dhalgren" - Samuel R. Delaney
"Hærværk" - Tom Kristensen
"Redacted by Editor" - Ayn "She-who-must-not-be-named" Rand

>Next three
"Origin of Species" - Charles Darwin
The Bible, actually.
"The Garden of Eden" - Ernest Hemingway

That's the plan, anyway.

>> No.1935154

LAST THREE READS:
A Study in Scarlet - fuck yeah dapper british gents
The Joy Luck Club - fuck yeah heritage
1984 - i liked it

CURRENTLY READING:
Ablutions: Notes for a Novel (as recently recommended by some fine anon here on /lit/)

NEXT THREE READS:
I have no fucking clue.

>> No.1935317

>>1934453

JUST GOING TO COPY FROM WIKI

The three novels are:

The Three Musketeers, set in 1625; first published in serial form in the magazine Le Siècle between March and July 1844. Dumas claimed it was based on manuscripts he had discovered in the Bibliothèque Nationale.
Twenty Years After, set in 1648; serialized from January to August, 1845.
The Vicomte of Bragelonne: Ten Years Later, set between 1660 and 1673; serialized from October 1847 to January 1850. This vast novel has been split into three, four, or five volumes at various points.
In the three-volume edition, the novels are titled The Vicomte de Bragelonne, Louise de la Vallière and The Man in the Iron Mask.
In the four-volume edition, the novels are titled The Vicomte de Bragelonne, Ten Years Later, Louise de la Vallière and The Man in the Iron Mask.
The five-volume edition generally does not give titles to the smaller portions.

>> No.1935324

Last three:
Viktor Frankl - Man's Search for Meaning
Yann Martel - Life of Pi

Current:
Vladimir Nabokov - Lolita
William Shakespeare - The Tempest

Next:
Sylvia Plath - The Bell Jar
Hermann Hesse - Demian
Aldous Huxley - Island

>> No.1935333

Last three reads:
Sophocles's Three Theban Plays.

Hellblazer - Original Sins (Graphic novel)

Captain Blood

Next Three Reads:

Probably three different plays. I'll just need to decide which.

>> No.1935334

>>1935317
Yeah, I know. I just realized that I completely misread your post. My mind moved your colon and just kind of disregarded one of the sentences as irrelevant. Sorry.

>> No.1935351

>>1935334
DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT, IT'S FINE.

>> No.1935625

Last 3:
>World War Z
>A Confederacy of Dunces
>The Running Man

Current:
>Snow Crash

Next 3:
>???
Don't really have the concentration necessary for reading anything above "light reading" nowadays.

>> No.1935673

Last three:
House of Leaves (READ IT RIGHT FUCKING NOW)
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Current:
Life, the Universe, and Everything

Next:
So Long, And Thanks For All the Fish
Mostly Harmless
Possibly House of Leaves again.

I'm re-reading the Hitchhiker series, because it's just so wonderful and I recently picked up the Picador box set. I already had the 'ultimate' Hitchhiker's Guide, but not the hardcover one.

>> No.1936130
File: 54 KB, 318x450, the_Prime_of_Miss_Jean_Brodie.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1930487
Finished two more!

>The Castle of Crossed Destinies by Italo Calvino
I really, really loved the idea for this one - groups of wanderers meet at a mysterious castle/tavern, made mute from their adventures, then try to tell their stories through tarot cards. In the end, it just felt way too speculative for me though. Maybe I need things to be more specific, or more time to think about the meaning, but the stories that are told relative to the cards that were laid out just seem to grasp at straws constantly. The stories themselves are great, and I think I would have enjoyed them more if I wasn't trying to relate them to the cards and failing every few lines. Tons of literary and historical allusions here, but they're very recognizable (I loved the Marquis de Sade one). Overall, it was really enjoyable, but something I had to take in small amounts.

>The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie by Muriel Spark
I loved this! The back and forth storytelling, the foreshadowing, repetition, the jumps in time, everything - it just felt classy and /good/. The cover I had for this one really didn't hint at all at the darkness that's covered near the end, though it somehow didn't come as a surprise for me. Everything seemed to hint at everything else, and things were revealed in a fashion that I just really loved. It just came together so nicely. The subject matter too - a group of girls growing up and their manipulative, rather off, teacher - is something I found I enjoyed. Not sure any of that makes sense, but I'll be checking out more things by Muriel Spark soon, I hope.

And my currently reading/soon to read (always changing):
>The Spiteful Planet and Other Stories by Shinichi Hoshi
>The Three Christs of Ypsilanti by Milton Rokeach
>Too Loud a Solitude by Bohumil Hrabal

>> No.1937647

bump

>> No.1937684

Good to see that /lit/ is reading something other than fantasy these days. That does really please me. It's so annoying seeing people online just discuss fantasy and sci-fi.

>> No.1938668
File: 11 KB, 188x300, the_Summer_Book.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1936130
I feel kind of awkward since no one else has posted, but. oh well. Read two more, thoughts:

>The Summer Book by Tove Jansson
I went into this book with only a vague idea of Jansson's other work (Moomintroll and stuff), so what I mostly expected here was a sense of innocence/wonder. Which I got, but in a way that was completely unfettered by cliche or sentimentality (probably mostly to do with the Grandmother's rather cranky but lovable character). The next to last chapter of this, "Day of Danger," caused more smiles and happiness and feeling in me than I've experienced in any book I've ever read. In fact, the whole book has probably caused more moments of familial reflection than I've had in a while. I don't think I can say much about it better than what someone on the back cover said, that "the novel reads like looking through clear water and seeing, suddenly, the depth," because that's really how it feels while reading it. Absolutely loved this one.

>The Spiteful Planet and Other Stories by Shinichi Hoshi
A collection of very short science fiction stories by a Japanese author, which I picked up after having read The Best Japanese Science Fiction Stories and looking around for more translated stuff by any of the authors in the anthology. And found this! The translation I'm guessing is not the best - I compared the translation of the two stories contained in the other anthology with the translation of those same stories here and there is a /large/ difference in quality. All of the stories still come across as equal parts creepy, funny, and generally amusing though. Just with a sort of simple language. My favorites from Hoshi remained "Bokko" and "Hey, Come Out!" from the other anthology, but there are a ton of lovable ones here too. Not all are science fiction - some are mystery stories and some are just reworkings of old tales like The Tortoise and the Hare, with twists. Quite enjoyable.

>> No.1938680

>>1938668
>>1938668
Just added the Summer Book to my wishlist. Too bad I know I won't read it this summer. Maybe it'll make some good winter reading.

I'm enjoying the reviews, thanks.

>> No.1938758

>>1935673
Is house of leaves that good? I picked it up not to long ago and I've been meaning to read it, maybe I'll pick it up next.

>> No.1938772

>>1937684
WOULD BE GREAT TO SEE YOU READ SOME 19TH CENTURY LITERATURE SUNHAWK

>> No.1938790

>>1938758
Familiarize yourself with some Borges ahead of time and you might appreciate it more.

>> No.1938812

>>1938772
So he can spread his awful opinions to 19th century literature? No thanks.

>> No.1939570

LAST THREE:
MRS. WARREN'S PROFESSION - SHAW
SENTIMENTAL EDUCATION - FLAUBERT
TWENTY YEARS AFTER - DUMAS

CURRENT:
THE PRETENTIOUS YOUNG LADIES - MOLIERE

NEXT THREE:
VIRGIN SOIL - TURGENEV
THE UNKNOWN MASTERPIECE - BALZAC
THE CASTLE OF OTRANTO - WALPOLE

>> No.1939583

Last 3:

Kurt Vonnegut - God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater (3/5)
Anton Chekhov - The Cherry Orchard (4/5)
John Dos Passos - The 42nd Parallel (2/5)

Currently reading:

Herman Hesse - Steppenwolf

Next 3:

Henry Adams - Democracy
William Faulkner - A Light in August
Thomas Mann - Tonio Kroger

>> No.1939623

Last Three:
Way of Kings Part 1
Flight of the Eisenstien
Dune

Current:
Way of kings part 2

Next Three:
Animal Farm
Catch22
Descent of Angels

>> No.1941241

bump

>> No.1941267

Drugstore cowboy- pretty good
Pope of Greenwich village- decent
Exodus- good propaganda
Reading In the Garden of Beasts

>> No.1942313

>>1922431
last 3:

Faulkner - As I Lay Dying
>3/5 I liked the story, but I don't like modernism.

Walter M. Miller - A Canticle for Leibowitz
>2/5

>2/5 I like how he describes scenes, but that seems to be all he does well in this book.

>> No.1942540

Last three:
Night Watch: Sergei Lukyanenko
A Game of Thrones: George R.R. Martin
American Gods: Neil Gaiman

Currently Reading:
A Clash of Kings: G.R.R.M.

Next three:
The Three Musketeers: Alexandre Dumas
A Storm of Swords: G.R.R.M.
The Idylls of the King: Alfred, Lord Tennyson

And for a recommendation: 20th Century Boys, by Naoki Urasawa. I know it's a manga, but it's always good to expand your horizons. If you like suspense/mystery with a hint of sci-fi, you'll probably like this. I've been enjoying the fuck out of it.

>> No.1942555

>Various threads on /int/
>Various threads on /lit/
>Probably Various threads on Various boards.

I need to shake off some of the patriotic crap from /new/...oh wait I mean /int/...sorry.
I only go there when I'm feeling cynical and need a laugh. That could apply to every board though funnily enough.

captcha: indally choosing - That's actually fairly correct, you so smart captcha.

>> No.1942563

>>1924080
Don't talk shit about Dickens