[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 415 KB, 2560x1917, boddhidharma1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
19291770 No.19291770 [Reply] [Original]

I want to learn more about the Nyaya and Vaisheshika school of Indian philosophy. Any book recommendations? Can someone give a recommendation for Chinese thought too? Do I just read Confucius? What about legalism? (fajian)?

>> No.19291774
File: 205 KB, 800x1178, F0012383-EA87-439C-8B8C-3F54106B3E65.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.19291779

>>19291770
Confucianism is the reason why the Chinese are kowtowing soulless bugmen, go with Daoism instead
in this order:
>Daodejing
>Zhuangzhi
>I Ching
after that just look into some secondary literature

>> No.19291789

>>19291770
>I want to learn more about the Nyaya and Vaisheshika school of Indian philosophy.
Start with the Vaisheshika-Sutra and the Nyaya-Sutras. John Vattanky’s books on Nyaya are very good.

>> No.19291809

>>19291770
Here are some guidelines, if you are further interested.

Nyaya

Nyaya follows some logic involved with reason, after asking some basic questions. It is approached by some philosophy called 'Pratijna'. After understanding 'Pratijna', you will understand Nyaya. A profound work on Nyaya is available in English on the web. It is recommended to read it.

You can start from reading 'On Nyaya Sutra'; or 'Foundations of Nyayavada' by Gananath Obeyesekere.

Most of the descriptions of Nyaya come from 'Nyayabindu' by Sri Hedge' In the English translation, you can start from Chapter I.

It takes some time to understand Nyaya correctly. This is because it is a complex school of philosophy. It is best to study Nyaya theory after understanding some basic Patanjali school of Indian Logic. This will require large source of knowledge. Ante Santillan's "Foundations of Indian Logic" is an excellent text. The grammar of Nyaya is not hard to understand too. Mohanty's book on logic is recommended.

Vaisheshika

It's not easy to understand Vaisheshika by study alone. It has different ideas of science which are tough to understand at first. The history of Vaisheshika is available in English.

The book that is best in explaining Vaisheshika in a lucid manner in a short text is available in English in a book by the name of 'A survey of Indian physical sciences in Sanskrit in Sanskrit' by A. B. Kahn.

Logic of Vaisheshika is rather complex. But if you can manage to understand some basic grammar of Nyaya it will be useful to understand Vaisheshika. Next will come to read some sources on Vaisheshika.

If you are interested to see what Vaisheshika is about, there are many books available in English on this topic. I have listed some of them here.

Chinese thought

The following books are for those who are interested in getting to know Chinese philosophy better.

'The Analects of Confucius' is an excellent book about Confucianism. It contains many philosophical quotations. If you are interested in reading more Philosophy, it would be best to read these books.

The book that is best in understanding the terminology, epistemology, etc. of Chinese philosophy is 'Things mysterious China' by Hermann Hesse. It is a book of short stories that will help you understand Chinese thought.

'What is Tao' is also an excellent book about Tao which is an integral thought of Chinese philosophy. It is a very good book for understanding the core of Chinese philosophy. It contains interesting views of science and science applications.

If you want to see how Tai chi and its idea, I suggest the following book:

'Tai-chi' or 'Tai-Chi: Golden or Taoist Philosophy' by Yang, Jwing-Ming is a very good book. It is an interesting and authentic book on Tai-Chi and its idea and history. It is an excellent book on Tao school of Chinese philosophy.