[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 140 KB, 324x500, 134252422_4329d0791c.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1993634 No.1993634 [Reply] [Original]

Guys, how do I get interested in reading? How do I stick at it?

I thought I was getting the hang of it before, but then I just seemed to stop again. I can't read fast effortlessly, if I try reading fast then I have to put effort into it and it tires me out.

Has anyone any advice on how to become a good/avid reader?

>> No.1993637

Be born into a decent family.

>> No.1993640 [DELETED] 

Don't be a nigger.

But seriously you are either interested in doing something or you aren't, so drop the KFC, stop slapping your ho, find a job and start reading

>> No.1993641

Read good books, whether mainstream or literary or pulp. Whatever you find you enjoy. Also, take your time, go at your own pace. This is especially true for literature. I see all threads all the time where people ask how they can read faster, and I just think to myself, why? It might be a useful skill for dry textbooks and maybe slightly shitty novels, but for literature you're supposed to take your time and soak it in, appreciate it.

I got a bit off topic there. So...read books that interest you. Go at your own pace. If it bores you, put it down, pick up another one.

>> No.1993646

>>1993641

Yea I could not agree with this more. Especially from my perspective in philosophy and history. Philosophy for example is meant to be read through and pondered. The reader should take each thought given by the writer and question it deeply, connect it to other thoughts, and frame the thought within the general polemic of the book.

>> No.1993653

>>1993637
What's that supposed to mean?

>> No.1993655

Lets just be honest here. Reading for the most part can be more work than watching a movie or tv show or playing a video game. But there are books that are easier reads than others, but at times getting through a 1k page book can be very gratifying. Also it is best not to think that you need to read something, just go and find the stuff that you think is worth your time.

>> No.1993661

The more you do something the better you'll become at it. Also, try reading aloud, you'll gain a feel for the natural rhythm of sentences and thingsnstuffnthat.

>> No.1993783

>>1993653

Elitist snobbery.

>> No.1993789

i honestly dont know how to answer OPs question. my parents read to me since i couldn't understand and gave me books to read since i could understand letters. i've always read, and it's natural as anything else

i feel bad for OP or anyone in his situation and just encourage them to keep on reading things that they find interesting. for instance, if you like video games, start with video game books, or if you like fantasy, start with fantasy, etc. after you're accustomed to reading you can explore genres more, but first just find something that draws you in

>> No.1993801

If you are at uni, Join a book club.

They will give you interesting things to read and set you a time frame to do it in, paradoxically a deadline can make it easier to read.

Pick a time to read, maybe for an hour or so in bed, or at lunch time.

Read books that interest you.