[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 156 KB, 900x689, browneyesstock.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR] No.2029577 [Reply] [Original]

How would you describe brown eyes?
Usually in literature, I see them compared to coffee or associated with mystery. Is there anything non-cliche?

>> No.2029580

There's the obvious - "shit-colored"- but I take it you wouldn't want that.

I usually use "mahogany".

>> No.2029581

mongrel-bred.

Blue eyes are a sign of racial purity.

>> No.2029588

>usually use
what kind of attitude is that?

It depends on the person. Brown eyes in general I would describe as "brown eyes". If I described a person having brown eyes and I knew more about that person, I'd just take whatever kind of brown also fits the person.

>> No.2029592

>>2029581
More like inbred mutant

>> No.2029598

>>2029592

Same diff.

>> No.2029601

Honey, warm, chocolate, shit.

>> No.2029638

eyes the color of coca cola, with years of market research selecting the most appealing shade.

>> No.2029653

>>2029638
You are awesome.

>> No.2030220

the important thing is to choose something that fits the character's personality. if it's a little hyperactive kid, coffee is too mature for him. maybe his eyes match the color of the mud on his shoes. etc

>> No.2030222

really pretty and awesome because brown eyes are the best eyes

>> No.2030234

eyes the color of shit stuck in a shower drain grate.

>> No.2030235

I'll lick it, and take the fucken choccy down my craw.

>> No.2030259 [DELETED] 

ITT: Isotopes, how do they work?

>> No.2030269

I would write Brown eyes and get on with the God damn story.

>> No.2030270

I would write Brown eyes and get on with the God damn story because I'm not a fucking asshole

>> No.2030271

Think about things that 'are' brown. Take coffee or choclate for example. Also like said before it should fit your characters personality!

So if a guy sees a girl with black eyes in a coffee house, he could think that her eyes are the same color than his coffee, or at least look a little bit like that. You can also just write that they don't look like that.

>> No.2030273

Her eyes were a rich brown, like buttfuck in the dark

>> No.2030304

>>2029577
You really are not supposed to describe eye colour in prose. Unless it's relevant to the plot, of course, in which case you should write "Her eyes were brown".

>> No.2030319

her eyes were brown just like the colour of poo poo

>> No.2030324

>>2030304
>You really are not supposed to describe eye colour in prose.

Why not?

>> No.2030350

>>2030324
Normally, visual descriptions like these are ineffective. You may say anything, spend a whole page doing it, too, and the reader won't even remember unless there is much repetition. Then, eye or even hair colour is mostly inconsequential and a waste of reader's time. Get on with the story. There are things to say much better than "Her eyes were the colour of the sea in spring, when algae chooses to infest it's deep blue waters with softest green". Writing it may be nice, but reading isn't.

It is even harmful in a way. It suppresses reader's imagination. You really shouldn't mention anything that doesn't matter much. Do a masterful dialogue with the girl,a nd the reader will know everything he needs. You may never mention her eye or hair colour and paint a much more vivid picture than if you have. Again, mention her hair colour, and the illusion of reality might as well get broken by the very act - because, yea, it interferes with imagination.