[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 10 KB, 236x230, B6A11082-7316-456A-88AA-8F811F9633BD.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
20358449 No.20358449 [Reply] [Original]

Is it normal for your writing to be mashups of all your favorite books/different types of media? I’m writing a fictional world but part of me feels like I’m stealing ideas from different sources and mixing them together

>> No.20358459

>>20358449
that's the usual way we learn how to verbalize things as children when w first turn our mind to learning how to form ideas ad sentences on papr and in our heads,

hey, i had a thought, if you were black and living in england, germany or america and made sure to plagiarize several really low brow homo erotic books written between 1970 and 1972 they'd give you an award and your own show.

i think probably you'd be laughed out of the building if you weren't ethnically correct however, because standards

>> No.20358465

>>20358449
>mashups of all your favorite books/different types of media
That's literally all creativity is. This is why all art will eventually be taken over by machines.

>> No.20358474

>>20358465
>That's literally all creativity is. This is why all art will eventually be taken over by machines.
responder no.2 this is responder no.1,
you don't really believe that, do you?

You can see for yourself that the copy-paste protocol of hollywood and modern english language scriptwriting in film, videogames, books is not "all creativity is" but rather the dilution and copying of the creativity of actual creative people by money grubbers and political propagandists.

Not the same thing at all.

>> No.20358487

>>20358474
What do you think this is? It's postmodernism dummy. Everything has been done before, every idea, theme and motif has been copied and recycled to death. There is nothing new or original, every "new" idea is no longer new. Therefore, every new creative idea OP has should be treated equally.

You were nothing more than a collection of memes strung into a narrative. That's all you ever were

>> No.20358494

>>20358487
Thats what we call cope.

>> No.20358513

>>20358487
You take the point that everything is narratives, and use it to deny the future of art, the nature of art, and the substance of narratives themselves. Shoo, you useless fly.

>> No.20358523

>>20358487
>What do you think this is? It's postmodernism dummy. Everything has been done before, every idea, theme and motif has been copied and recycled to death. There is nothing new or original, every "new" idea is no longer new.
I used to think that too, but it's not at all true. We just think that because we're cornfed cows and don't get to see anything other than what's presented to us, which is carefully meticulously sculpted common denominator shit which has been proven to sell one time before and so is assumed, wrongly, to sell again.

>You were nothing more than a collection of memes strung into a narrative. That's all you ever were
naw g, i'm old enough to find the word and concept of meme to be strange; or 'gay' as we said in the past in 2019.

as the walls of your prison get ever smaller(!)

>There is nothing new or original, every "new" idea is no longer new.
desu you may have a point but not the one you thnk you're making:

you're saying, really, that post-modernism is a nihilistic self-delusion purported in error as a form of art or ideologism, and that this 'frame of mind' stemming from perhaps youthful arrogance is more resembling of teenage angst than the early proponents of post-modernism, over a century ago lol, seemed to grasp at the time. or perhaps they did and it was a ploy.

hm.

>>20358494
muchly.

I mean HOLY FUCKING SHIT I didnt even know what sci-fi was, growing up on star wars pulp, until I listened to harlan ellison reading RUN FOR THE STARS

g hasnt even experienced that yet, no wonder he's depressive, jar jar binks is all he knows

>> No.20358540

actually, to add more,

>>20358474
>Everything has been done before, every idea, theme
only a very TINY TINY TINY percent of previous material has ever been recycled to us; they aren't recycling anything 'new', as it were, it's just the same bad american mimickry of british sitcoms and old goofy kiddies movies that sucked at the time, i.e. star wars,

if we say this has been the MO of hollywood type media congloms for ... fifty years(?) .. and if it was based on copying a tiny handful of shows or movies, then think of sheer bulk of content that may not be new but is going to be new to you and everybody else presently living.

>> No.20359070

Bump

>> No.20359100

The Original
Part 1 of 3

"Where did you get that coat? It looks like something from a thrift store."
"I was trying to be ironic."
"Seriously Apu, ironic is fine for a club but this place is expected to get its third star when the new Michelin Guide comes out."
"Sorry, Stacy"
"Just try a little harder next—ohhh, they have the 2017 Chave Hermitage Rouge, it is supposed to be amazing. We should get it"
He just knew that if he could make his inheritance last until Stacy married him it would all work out. She had already essentially accepted his proposal and he was saving a great deal of money living with his parents but $750 bottles of wine were really starting to have an effect on his savings. "We will have the 2017 Chave Hermitage Rouge." He knew he pronounced it wrong, he did his best to say it exactly as Stacy had but he never could get French right despite being able to read French fluently. He could feel the waiter judging him.
"What about hors d'oeuvres?"
Looking at the menu he could not bring himself to attempt to pronounce any of them, 'Chave' and 'Rouge' were simple by comparison, he regretted his suggestion of a French restaurant but he wanted to show off his French to Stacy. "What would you recommend to pair with the wine" he asked the waiter.
"The gougères."
He was certain the waiter mispronounced gougères just too mock him. "You are the expert!" Why did he say that? And like that?
"Very good."
"Stacy."
"Yes, Apu?"
"How are things going with Brad?"
"Chad"
"Right, how are things going with Chad? Do you think you will be able to leave him soon?"
"I don't know, his mother's death was very hard on him and I just could not do that to him right now, I think it would push him over the edge. They were very close."
"It has been 6 months."
"They were very close, she practically raised him."
"It is just—wait, mother? You said it was his father."
"No, you are misremembering, it was his mother."
"No, you told me that story about their playing baseball together."
"Oh, ahh... look Apu, you are a great guy and any woman would be lucky to have you but I just don't think we have a future, I like you but I don't like like you."
"..."
"There are plenty of fish in the sea, you just need to get back on that horse!"
"..."

It started raining on his walk home from the theatre. Insult and injury. How could she do that to him? They were in love! Weren't they? What did she mean when she called him Javert after the play? "Goodbye my little Javert." Does that make her Valjean? But that made no sense unless she was secretly a lesbian, which would explain a lot. The rain made his coat stink and he regretted not washing it, he assumed the thrift store would have done that before putting it out for sale. He smelled like rotten fish and feces. Then something caught his eye. Did he really just see an onahole sitting on top of that trash can? He could not believe his luck, it looked hardly used! He had always wanted to try one of these but never could afford one.

>> No.20359101

>>20358449
>Stu Skyraider is useless farmer boy in the Vietcong, but one day he gets a visit by a giant wizzard on a hoverbike, telling him he's a dinosaur.

>> No.20359102

>>20359100
Part 2 of 3

Once home he found a bit of margarine in the back of the fridge to use as lube and tore his clothes off on the way to his bedroom. He could not wait. It felt better than anything he could imagine and he barely noticed the smell from his coat which seemed to have permeated his skin, or the crumbs of toast in the margarine. But then he thought about Stacy. He started to cry. He started to cum. On that second stroke a single tear landed on him and mixed with his seed on strokes end. He could not believe the power of the orgasm. It knocked him back on the floor and took the wind out of him. After he caught his breath he got himself off the floor egar too see the size of his load, it just had to be huge to knock him back like that, but the onahole was gone and in its place was a beautiful woman. The most beautiful woman he had ever seen.
"Did I just have sex?"
"No. Your virginity is safe."
"Oh. Who are you?"
"I am the genie of the onahole and I am here to grant you one wish."
"Really? Wait, don't you mean three wishes?"
"Those are just stories, do you believe everything you read?"
"So, I can wish for anything I want?"
"Yes, one wish, anything you want."
"What should I wish for?"
"I'm a genie, not a mind reader"

Over the next few days Apu thought long and hard about what to dream for. He could make Stacy ugly, or Chad, or both! Or he could make Stacy love him. He could make all women love him. He could be rich and famous or beautiful. But he only got one wish and he had to make it perfect. After long deliberation he finally decided. He decided he would go back to the 19th century when woman knew their place and could not treat him like Stacy had. He would live his life in a time and place where he would be treated with respect and he could finally become an author like he had always wanted since the publishing industry was still run by men who actually knew what literature was. So he summoned the genie once more and made his wish.

He awoke in a strange bed to a knocking sound. He could not believe what he saw, beautiful wood work everywhere and a library! It was everything he had ever dreamed of. There was an actual horse and buggy going down the road outside the window! The room was on the small side but it would do for now and it seemed to have everything he needed to get started on his new life. The knocking again, a bit louder this time.
"Apu?"
"Yes?"
"Your mistress is awaiting you in her room."
He had a mistress!

>> No.20359106

>>20359102
Part 3 of 3

"Hello, Stacy."
"Mary Sue! How was your vacation? I got you a latte."
"Thanks. It was fantastic, we had the vila to ourselves and no one around for miles."
"That sounds great."
"It really was. I got you a presant, it is the creepiest old photo."
"That seems an odd gift?"
"Here, just look at it."
"just looks like an old photo of some blue bloods, see them all the time."
"Look closer."
"Oh my god. That looks exactly like Apu!"
"Doesn't it?"
"His eyes follow you."
"Yeah. It is some minor Lords and Ladies, the Apu looking fella is apparently her eunuch. One of the last in Europe."
"That is so perfect."
"He could be Apu's ancestor. Is simping is genetic?"
"Speaking of Apu, he dissapeared a few weeks ago."
"Oh? Did he..."
"Kill himself? No one knows. Police showed up at my house to ask me about him."
"Did you kill him?"
"Hah! No. It seems they found a filing cabinet filled with unsent letters about me writen to his uncle Ted who is not his uncle but the unabomber!"
"Seriously?"
"Seriously. They spent an hour asking me questions about him trying to figure out if he was going to start mailing bombs to people."
"What did you tell them?"
"The truth, that he was too timid to mail a letter let alone a bomb and that he probably could not face his parents after we "broke up" and just walked out of his own life."
"Crazy."
"Yeah. Chad made partner while you were away."

>> No.20359359

>>20358449
That's the basic creative process. You take what was done by those before you and rework it.
Newton himself famously admits that he was "standing on the shoulders of giants."
Muhammad Ali admits that his style was inspired by Sugar Ray Robinson.
Nobody has good ideas in a vacuum.

>> No.20359655

Bad artists imitate, great artists steal. -Pablo Picasso

>> No.20360584

>>20359359
I strongly disagree with the interpretation that somehow, from that, follows the conclusion that 1) 'creativity' is rehashing of other things, and that 2) to be inspired by a previous thing or to improve upon a method (or kak up a method) is the beginning and end of 'creativity',

I hadn't really thought this position would be considered so "matter of factly" but I suppose it does account for the sense of nihilism toward things in general - although it's demonstrably incorrect;

Ultimately what I was getting at this morning >>20358523 is that the point of view rests sedentary upon the false comforting delusion that humans have discovered everything about everything and that nothing new can be discovered; that's obviously laughable because there's tons of things already that are known but not broadly promulgated.

While this is true,
>Nobody has good ideas in a vacuum.
I think the basis of what a 'good idea' is has been lost; "working knowledge (of a thing)" comes from study and observation of a thing and how it interacts and operates within material reality, this isn't the same thing as saying people, e.g., copied the idea of a television rather they had the same idea at the same because they were observing and studying the same thing.

i.e. 'new ideas' or 'good ideas' are only actually 'good' if they conform to physics (material reality) and operate due to some improvement, 'not' because "someone did this thing so if someone copies what they did they will improve the thing necessarily" - they may improve it or they may kak it up, but the process of observation and study will be entirely absent if they have 'just' copied what another human has already done without knowing anything about the mechanics of the thing that the other human had actually done; such as looking at 'star wars' as a facade of cut-out images, taking them and reworking them into new star wars movies absent of any of the 'heart' (btw i hate star wars) of the original saga itself, in this case, then, they did copy the facade and rework it, introducing perceived contemporary selling points and kaked it up.

>> No.20360589

maybe i'm being unclear
>e.g., copied the idea of a television
i mean: they didn't copy it, they invented it - as a new thing.

>> No.20360594

you arent a writer, youre someone who wants to be a writer. writers dont exist anymore

>> No.20360652

>>20360594
meh it's never not going to be the case that every single movie, show, book, song, etc., depends 100% upon the genius of the writer.

generally if you want to be a writer you need to be other things as well, like a movie director and producer, otherwise as a writer you're just going to have your vital writing taken from you and bastardized into some common denominator garbage.

it's more accurate to say that 'readers' don't exist so much anymore, but it's still technically true that the success or fall of anything depends upon the one writer; like the one quite accounts guy in an office of fifty who actually runs the floor by himself and gets no credit for it - the proof is in that the movie or show wouldn't exist without the writer and that the office floor would fall into shambles if the one intelligent guy left the building.

maybe there's a strong element of false egalitarianism in this nihilistic notion that 'nothing new' can be done and that 'anybody can do XYZ'

>> No.20360661

>>20358691

>> No.20361164

>>20360584
>'new ideas' or 'good ideas' are only actually 'good' if they conform to physics
How can an idea interact with physics at all, let alone conform?

>> No.20361200

>>20358449
Read any non-theological nonfiction from Lewis and he will straight up list off everyone he borrowed/adapted/stole from unabashedly.
Yes, it’s normal, now go mash it all into something muddy enough to pass for originality amongst the unread. You’re gonna be okay, anon.

>> No.20361219

>>20358487
> Plek plek goes the aarghasaurus, clomphing his toos in the bardbecyup.

I can guarantee you that, infinite deep time aside, that sentence has never been penned before, and is thus, original.

I do agree that machines will eventually be able to mathematically produce cool ideas, and I welcome the day when we’ll have mass-produce excellence instead of mass-produced tripe.

>> No.20361335

>>20361164
no no, a successful application or idea is is a new method reliant upon having observed the correct mechanics of a thing, and then making those mechanics work more optimally; e.g. faster.

a new successful method of doing anything, therefore, is reliant upon having understood the material physics; the stages of A to Z, of how the thing already functions and then making it function better or utilizing the existing function to create a new branch of application....

such as using the smokestacks of a nuclear cooling tower or incinerator to power a turbine; that is: you have observed the total operational mechanics of a system and noticed where other applications can be added into it using what already exists.

>> No.20361346

>>20361219
>I do agree that machines will eventually be able to mathematically produce cool ideas,
very much doubt this. AI is a grossly overrated pipedream and the word and concept of an algorithm is made-up nonsense.

AI would be the most uncreative thing ever; solely capable of reproducing what one human had already produced and not understanding even what it was that it was reproducing and so naturally being sub-par and full of errors.

>> No.20361353

but being sub-par and full of errors is already the approach idiots take anyway so.. meh.

although a real idiot would not knowingly destroy themselves by creating some terrible virus, whereas an AI programmed not even to know what a virus was, programmed to run a fish factory for instance easily might do so and never notice anything had happened.

>> No.20361487

>>20358474
>>20358487
everything has not 8een done. creation has always 8een com8inational. originality can and is and was achieved 8y com8ination.

>> No.20361541

>>20361487
Get a new keyboard already, lishanon.