[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 550 KB, 1200x800, MM7-9-1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
20386482 No.20386482 [Reply] [Original]

Actually good if you are interested in how the music industry exploits artists

>> No.20386860

>>20386482
Okay, explain it for us, since you've read it.

>> No.20386982

>>20386482
I haven't read it, but I've heard people talk about it because I'm a homosexual. The people I know who have read it said she doesn't open up and be honest. For example, she doesn't talk about her infamous mental breakdown in the early 2000's or anything else that may make her look vulnerable or make her look bad. On top of that, it has a lot of anti-white drivel and blames white people for a lot of her problems. She holds more against her white mother who actually raised her (and taught her to sing) than she does her black father who walked out on them. When I looked at who the cowriter was, it made sense. From her wikipedia page: "Michaela Angela Davis is a writer on African-American style, race, gender and hip-hop culture in the United States."

>> No.20386999

>>20386482
>>20386982
Also, I don't buy that she was particularly exploited. I do believe that Tommy Mottola was probably mildly abusive, but nobody forced her to marry him to get ahead. She would have been nothing without him.

>> No.20387003

>>20386860
She talks about the first producer she worked with had her sign a contract that said he will take a peecentage of her album sales even of he never worked with her again. She signed it because she was broke and he got money from her very succesful following albums.
Her husband was also working for Sony and he sabotaged her career when they broke up. He stole her material and gave it to other artists like Jlo and she had to go to Japan to meet with the man running Sony to stop him.
She ended up singing the most lucrative deal ever with Virgin but because the album underperformed they dropped her. She went to another label and she got one of the most succesful comebacks ever.

>> No.20387016

>>20386999
She had deal offers before Tommy. Will Smith introduced her to Def Jam and they wanted her, but she wanted Sony specifically.

>> No.20387030

>>20387003
>Her husband was also working for Sony and he sabotaged her career when they broke up.
He sabotaged her career when she cheated on him with Derek Jeter. Mottola was also responsible for at least 90% her success.
>He stole her material and gave it to other artists like Jlo
No he didn't. When he heard she was planning on using a certain sample in a song, he convinced JLo to use that sample in a different song and release before Mariah could. Mariah blames the fact that she had to find a new sample to use on short notice for Loverboy's failure, but it failed because the production was absolute shit, it was attached to a failed movie, and she was in the midst of a very public mental breakdown due to her bipolar disorder. She went on Carson Daly's show to promote the single and the clip became infamous because she was completely out of it. She was literally talking to voices in her head. (She also recently released Loverboy with the original sample and the Candy sample was obviously ten times better. If anything, Mottola accidently did her a favor.)
>She ended up singing the most lucrative deal ever with Virgin but because the album underperformed they dropped her.
They had no reason to suspect she would make a comeback. Her voice was severely damaged, her songwriting had decreased in quality, and her mental state was unstable. Nobody could have predicted her coming back with We Belong Together.

>> No.20387048

>>20387016
I'm not entirely sure I believe that, but I'll give it the benefit of the doubt. Regardless, she would never have received as good of a contract and so much support from a record label if she wasn't banging the the CEO of the label. Mottola was also responsible for more than just getting her signed to Sony, he guided her career and was responsible for much of her success. She originally wanted to give up some of her biggest hits to other singers after writing them (like Hero) but Mottola convinced her to keep them and release them herself. He was also the one who convinced her to record the Christmas album and All I Want for Christmas Is You.

>> No.20387053

>>20387030
>it failed
It was #2 faggot and the best selling single of that year

>> No.20387074
File: 407 KB, 498x474, pepe-laugh.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20387053
>The Mariah Carey fan is calling someone else a faggot
It quickly fell off the chart and the album failed. It was definitely a failure considering her level of fame at the time and the amount of success almost all of her previous singles had. She literally ignored its existence and never performed any songs from that album - including Loverboy - until just recently when her fans organized a campaign on Twitter to get the album on top of the streaming charts,

>> No.20387095

>>20387074
Shut up hun, the only thing you got right is that the Cameo sample is better.

>> No.20387114

>>20387095
>hun
I'm a homosexual, not a tranny