[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 918 KB, 1407x2000, Temple Garden.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
20638816 No.20638816 [Reply] [Original]

Temple Garden Edition

Previous Thread:>>20631905

>Recommended reading charts (Look here before asking for vague recs)
https://mega.nz/folder/kj5hWI6J#0cyw0-ZdvZKOJW3fPI6RfQ/folder/guIyhAzS

>Archive
>>/lit/?task=search2&search_subject=sffg

>Goodreads
https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/1029811-sffg

>> No.20638844

Why do you consider sci-fi and fantasy to be the superior genres of literature?

>> No.20638860
File: 9 KB, 300x168, 302F7E49-02EF-479B-BDB5-0181534EC06E.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20638816
>Ewok village 2000!!

>> No.20638881

>>20638844
I don't. They're fun to read but they can almost never have as much depth or meaning as other genres

First for Wolfe

>> No.20638946
File: 83 KB, 750x920, pepe reading.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Anons, I am going to say it: Stating that a piece of fcition 'gets good' at a certain point is absolutely valid form of recommendation. There are hundreds of substandard or average works, making anything worthwile stand-out. And don't bullshit me with 'b-but I can read something better in the meantime, not waiting for it to get good.' Fuck no, we all instictively know that a really good work is worth getting through average stuff, we've all been there. I'd rather read four books of mundane stuff to reach the really good one, instead of reading four average/good books. It's just worth more and you know it.

>> No.20638954

Just finished up Dreadgod (Cradle #11). Don't... really want to write a review for this one yet. Anyone else EXTREMELY disappointed by the penultimate book in the series? I can't imagine it having a solid conclusion unless the final book is quadruple the length.

>> No.20639002

>>20638954
>Anyone else EXTREMELY disappointed by the penultimate book in the series?
I'm not. I was pretty happy with the book. But I have heard similar concerns over the last book not wrapping up in a satisfying way. Can I get a short list of loose ends you absolutely need to see resolved? I have my own ideas of what 100% needs to be addressed and I'm curious how they compare.

>> No.20639005

>>20638946
there is a big difference between something like it gets good at chapter 5 of book 1, or half way through everything comes together
and telling someone to read 5 books before its any good

if they can write a good book starting at book 5, what are they doing different in book 5 that they didn't do in book 1, because they should have just done that in book 1, no?
Not to say there is no merit to the argument, sometimes you have a bad writer who has his world really come together after reading for a while, but thats still because they are bad, just good at 1 thing. Which I find is often the case with the "it gets good at x" people, the author is trash but the 1 thing they are good at can shine through in the long term and the person making the recommendation only cares about that.

>> No.20639008

>>20638954
It was solid. THe pacing was really weird though, especially the 'final battle' that happened around 70% of the story. Everything after that felt like an epilogue that kept on going, even battle with Malice. As for conclusion, idk what you want from it. Abidan have ever been a backburner plot than is extremely rushed and has little to do with Iteration 110, Waybound will be about Lindon and the team fucking up the monarchs and Dreadgods in one go. Then they will end up being Ozriel's executioners or something. Nothing else to close off, desu.
And the last book is supposed to be the longest.

>> No.20639010

>>20638954
Yes, but that's just because I'm not into the Abidan plot and that seems to be the endgame of Cradle.

>> No.20639012

>>20638954
>no 2post review
Was it really that bad? Cradle has been a letdown since Uncrowned.

>> No.20639033
File: 1.97 MB, 1668x2224, 8yjwubqo8di61.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

read cradle

>> No.20639037

>>20639012
He posted various other comments on it in his GR activity feed.

>> No.20639064
File: 26 KB, 333x500, Dreadgod.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20639005
Not really loose ends that I'd like to see resolved, but there's so much ground to cover. The sheer amount of fights and events that occurred off-screen in this book is fucking staggering. Can we expect the entirety of the secondary cast's training to be off-screen? You've also got to make your way through not only the dreadgods, but then the Monarchs while still covering the Judge storyline and whatever you need there to save Suriel and Ozriel. This book was staggeringly short and just... disjointed around the labyrinth's fast travel.

Felt really poorly thought out compared to other books.

>>20639008
Agreed on the pacing. I mentioned above, but the fast travel threw me through a loop. It's also only been around 2-3 weeks of time since the Sacred Valley was decimated? When was Lindon able to outfit the entirety of the Windfall colony with Overlord-tier constructs? He didn't have the forge until the end of the last book, which was... 2 hours before the start of this one.

Seems like he's relying on the transition into a new series to keep this forward momentum, but I'm really... unhappy with every book since Wintersteel?

>>20639010
Seems to be the next series.

>>20639012
Not today, anon. The book bummed me the fuck out. Think I agree with you, Uncrowned and Wintersteel were definitely the height of the series for me.

>>20639033
No.

>>20639037
Don't think I've linked that here and I don't think anyone particularly cares but I'll repost...

[Before Realizing Penultimate Book]

35% in -
S'fine. S'just... fine. The opening with The Silent King and Emeriss felt odd and out of place, but when you introduce fast travel into the core narrative I suppose you've got wiggle room. Seemed like it was only there to setup a Dreadgod foil for Lindon, as the others have lesser intelligences. Suppose we shall see how that plays out... Love a good training arc book though, so we'll see if the pay-offs are worth it.

51% -
Things are starting to roll forward with more purpose, with the exception of Lindon's story. I thought I had a good understanding on the Akura's but with the recent-ish (last 2 books) reveal regarding the Heralds, they've fallen into this more villainous charge. Malice especially, which seems out of character considering her poise up until this point.

[After]
70% -
So only about 2-3 weeks have passed in the books since the events at Sacred Valley and yet Lindon somehow outfitted an entire cloud fortress with Overlord level constructs that produce... golems, flame avatars, and imprints of Dross. All in service of protecting his shithead family he's had stifled interactions with ever since... The Jai Long scene? What the fuck?

85% -
For every solid pay-off in the Silent King and Herald fight, there's another chapter that takes the wind out of your sails. Not only did Will complete Ziel and Orthos' fight off-screen, he followed that chapter up by completing Yerin's advancement to Herald AND her fight ALSO OFF-FUCKING-SCREEN.

>> No.20639073

>>20638946
well put. i do allow myself to commit to series that have that kind of reputation, but i've never thought about it this way.
that being said, i wouldn't do it if i had to wade through actual shit to get there. but i'm fine if it's just 'good', in an average way.

>> No.20639084

>>20639064
>Think I agree with you, Uncrowned and Wintersteel were definitely the height of the series for me.
That's not what I said at all and I cannot agree with this.

>> No.20639095

>>20639084
My mistake, misread you. Clarifying, for me Uncrowned and Wintersteel were the height of the series. Solid culmination of the character's cultivation, great combat writing, inter-character relationships and interaction and then finally a bunch of wad blower power-ups.

>> No.20639105

>>20638954
personally i always thought cradle was a tad overrated by you anyway. i don't have time to read the new book anytime soon, but i always thought the overworld stuff was janky and the story will have issues once we get there.
also in general it never reached really high highs for me (like say, ave xia rem's first or so arc.). i always considered it decent, but just that.

>> No.20639111

>>20639064
>Can we expect the entirety of the secondary cast's training to be off-screen? You've also got to make your way through not only the dreadgods, but then the Monarchs while still covering the Judge storyline and whatever you need there to save Suriel and Ozriel.
Wight kinda has a bad habit about offscreen fights. His traveler's gate series has the worst offense of it right at the end of the first book. I don't expect any real Monarch fights in Waybound though. I think they'll deal with the Dreadgods then force the Monarchs to ascend without a fight. Whether or not that's gonna be satisfying to see depends largely on execution by the author. Same with Suriel and Ozriel, I imagine Ozriel will have some Batman style contingency he pulls out at the last second to save his ass. Will this be satisfying? Ehh... who knows?

>> No.20639159

>>20638844
Fantasy is the highest form of art.
>We have come from God, and inevitably the myths woven by us, though they contain error, will also reflect a splintered fragment of the true light, the eternal truth that is with God. Indeed only by myth-making, only by becoming ‘sub-creator’ and inventing stories, can Man aspire to the state of perfection that he knew before the Fall.
https://www.gwern.net/docs/fiction/2015-mirante-thesubcreationtheoryofjrrtolkien.html
>Art has been verified. God is the Lord, of angels, and of men –and of elves. Legend and History have met and fused. But in God’s kingdom the presence of the greatest does not depress the small. […] The Christian has still to work […]. So great is the bounty with which he has been treated that he may now, perhaps, fairly dare to guess that in Fantasy he may actually assist in the effoliation and multiple enrichment of creation. (Tolkien 2012, 87)
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/23753234.2021.1886860

>> No.20639163

>cradlefags
>religionfags
You will not break me.
Fuck you.
You will not break me.

>> No.20639165

>>20639105
Can understand that to a certain level. It was the first progression fantasy series I picked up, definitely gatewayed me into this challenge.

>>20639111
Disappointing to hear that about Traveler's Gate. If he does actually hides the Monarch fight behind another series, I can't imagine it going over very well with his normal fanbase. You're going to have to bang out a Malice and Northstrider fight at the minimum, but that's still a fair amount of setup compared to everything else that needs to be accomplished.

>> No.20639179

>>20639064
>85% -
>For every solid pay-off in the Silent King and Herald fight, there's another chapter that takes the wind out of your sails. Not only did Will complete Ziel and Orthos' fight off-screen, he followed that chapter up by completing Yerin's advancement to Herald AND her fight ALSO OFF-FUCKING-SCREEN
That might be just your taste desu
I was glad that Ziel was off-screened, it didn;t interest me at all and I was like 'thank you for off-screening this, Author.' As for Yerin, the fuck do you mean? She teleported out, advanced, then went back. What more did you want to see? There was nothing to read.

>> No.20639180

>>20639111
God I forgot about that with Traveler's Gate. It doesn't really do that with any big fights after, but the climactic fight of the first book is "Simon's about to fight a bunch of guys" and then the next scene is just him being found, having beat up a bunch of guys but collapsing after.

>> No.20639188

>>20639165
>You're going to have to bang out a Malice and Northstrider fight at the minimum,
Malice vs Mercy would be nice to see. It would tie off her character arc nicely as she finally gets out from under her mother's shadow and becomes her own person, while also becoming more ruthelessly decisive like Malice always wanted. It kinda writes itself.

>> No.20639195
File: 24 KB, 380x368, Its time.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

ITT:

You tell me the most fascinating concept in fantasy that you have come across and I try to put it into my game.

>> No.20639201

>>20639188
>ruthelessly decisive
Not him but now that I've read these two specific words together, I realize that I'll never be able to unassociate them with Heaven's Laws. Heh

>> No.20639207

>>20639195
There was once an anon who tried to smooch ideas off an anonymous mongolian basket weaving forum.
Suddenly his doorbell rang.
He was raped by goblins.
The end.

>> No.20639209

>>20639179
If you're going to commit to splitting so many perspectives throughout the book, why not give them the pay-offs from that purpose? Personal lack of interest in Ziel and Orthos isn't an excuse to skip it. As for Yerin, she advanced entirely off-screen and then caught a Herald-tier Remnant in a void key while she was off-screen. I'm aware void keys are larger than this but uh... If you managed to catch a wild boar in a bread box, I'd sure as shit love to see it.

>>20639188
Exactly. Think the other fights would be Lindon vs. Shen and Yerin vs. Northstrider, but the rest see amenable to fucking off. The rest of the characters finding pay-offs with the dreadgods.

>> No.20639215

>>20639195
Taxes and diarrhea.

>> No.20639218
File: 647 KB, 1238x2063, queen of sorcery.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Guys I fucking hate Polgara and even though I know there's no chance of it happening I want my boy Garion to break free of the chains prophecy has put on him. The way the party of heroes acts has me thinking that maybe Torak was right.

>> No.20639219

I've been through the first several John Carter books but stopped after Chessmen of Mars because I found them uninteresting without the main man himself. Are the main characters in the following books interesting enough to make it worth it to continue? I switched to the Tarzan series and at least he actually sticks around through his series minus the one about his son.

>> No.20639229

>>20639195
>You tell me the most fascinating concept in fantasy that you have come across and I try to put it into my game.
Like, conceptualy, philosophicaly or something? Of the top of my head, Enderal (video game made on Skyrim's engine) had this extremely fascinating plot where the enemy (some type of Evil Godlike beings) only pretended to try to kill you (the player), instead they were behind your creation and gave you opportunity to gain powers, then tricked you into following a plan that was supposed to destroy them, instead you were creating a machine that was supposed to kill the entire humanity which would result in a birth of another of their number. So to win, you'd have to let go of being important and simply STOP. It doesn't work out though as you're not the only one that was 'created,' so you can at best sacrifice an entire island and yourself, making your friend try to win at a later time without you...or let the humanity die and fuck off into a sky citadel with yout lover where you'd spend thousands of years awaiting the rebirth of humanity just to make Round 2 with the evil gods. Bitter end either way.

>> No.20639230
File: 45 KB, 344x500, rv3659cs47591.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20638816
What did I think of it?

>> No.20639235

>>20639209
>If you're going to commit to splitting so many perspectives throughout the book, why not give them the pay-offs from that purpose? Personal lack of interest in Ziel and Orthos isn't an excuse to skip it. As for Yerin, she advanced entirely off-screen and then caught a Herald-tier Remnant in a void key while she was off-screen. I'm aware void keys are larger than this but uh... If you managed to catch a wild boar in a bread box, I'd sure as shit love to see it.
...what? What off-screened heralnd? Red Faith safe died and she asked his remnant to allow Lindon to use him as a weapon, thus finish off the Phoenix. He entered the void key of his own volition. You sure you haven't skipped a chapter?

>> No.20639248

>>20639230
How explicit is the smut in this? How bad is the prose?

>> No.20639312

>>20639235
Jesus, you're right. I'm sorry. Think I confused the Sage and Red Moon, then Red Moon's remnant and the fucking phoenix avatar, then the Sage's remnant. They only offscreen a minor engagement Yerin has during her advancement, but we're really only shown the setting of her treasures and the realization of her goal:

'The aura from the natural treasures around her died, the winds falling. Now nothing concealed the bodies of the Silent King thralls who had tried to attack her while she advanced. They had posed a threat to her while she was in the middle of advancement.'

I think it's considerably undersold compared to other advancements. Otherwise, I was completely fuckin' wrong about the Remnant. My mistake.

>> No.20639330

remind me to never read a sci-fi book that is over 600 pages long again. I am half way thru Seveneves and while it's not bad it's just a fuckin slog. I was gonna read some standalone Reynolds next (maybe House of Suns) but I don't know now /sffg/ bros. I need to palette cleanse with a 200pg PKD book or something

>> No.20639335
File: 299 KB, 800x336, 190938319867670.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Post underrated or little-known sword and sorcery novels. I've got an itch to scratch.

>> No.20639340

>>20639064
Kek who gives a fuck about yerin. Also it seems most characters are now females in the series, therefore into the trash it goes

>> No.20639344

>>20639312
I get why ou might think that, but I guess the author just didn't want to write the same yet again to not get repetetive.

>> No.20639347

>>20639195
Magic

>> No.20639353

>>20639335
Karl Edward Wagner's Kane stuff, you may already be familiar with it but it's still worth mentioning!

>> No.20639381

>>20639248
Haven't touched that one but his other books have fair bit of explicit smut in it, but are decently well written. Smut doesn't take over story neither does relationship drama. Biggest downside is occasional tonal deafness sometimes like having smut, happy/funny and grim sections a bit too close to each other, but that rarely shows up. Another possible issue is that his other books revolve around fairly OP MCs, tho they are still challenged by the circumstances they find themselves in they are head and shoulders above their immediate neighbours.

>> No.20639445

>>20639248
Prose is decent, nothing special. Strongest points were the MC, the character interactions, and the setting. Most characters were likeable to some degree, at least. Smut is explicit as can be. One sex scene only, and it's clearly not written to be erotic, but it is endearing, given the build-up and interactions between two specific characters.

>> No.20639485

>>20639445
>>20639381
Is it as bad as his Heretic Spellblade series? I read one book of that one and my impression was "Damn, that's one of the worst harem/erotica books I've read in my life." Everything in the book subpar, from plot to character through writing.

>> No.20639489

>>20639381
MC in this one is the opposite of OP.
>Biggest downside is occasional tonaldeafness sometimes like having smut, happy/funny and grim sections a bit too close to each other
That's thankfully not the case here. At least it didn't come across like that to me.

>> No.20639496

>>20639485
Haven't read that.

>> No.20639523

>>20639485
Dunno what to tell you anon, spellblade was a bit rough around the edges but i find that it was pretty good, even outside haremlit.

What books in the genre you enjoyed?

>> No.20639534

>>20639353
I can tell that you're excited to recommend the author Karl Edward Wagner's works on Kane based on your use of an exclamation mark at the end of you sentence.

>> No.20639538

Gimme authors like Crichton

>> No.20639545

>>20639523
Harem stuff in general all seems really mediocre at best. Maybe I've just read the wrong ones, but it seems so same-y and bland.

>> No.20639557

>>20639545
Nah, you are right, spellblade is one of the better ones in my opinion, hence my confusion, the authors in the genre apparently have to pump out a book every couple month to stay afloat hence the lack of quality across the genre, there are a few decent ones but they've all got issues that often result in weaker writing, on average, than popular webnovels.

>> No.20639563
File: 1.99 MB, 2710x1097, Hyperion.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20634455
>>20635307
Here's the newest manifestation of autism:

>> No.20639568

>>20639545
Harems are only good if they're composed of lolis and/or nonhumans.

>> No.20639593

>>20639557
Being "one of the better ones" feels like a low bar. I'd rather just read some trashy LitRPG stuff that's not exactly breaking boundaries but is competently written.

>> No.20639603

>>20639593
Price of liking a niche genre, nothing to it.

>> No.20639610

>>20639603
Fair but it's a weird genre because the authors in it pump out absurd amounts of low-quality nothing.

>> No.20639630 [DELETED] 

>>>/mu/111486819
>>>/mu/111486819

>> No.20639634

mother of learning any good

>> No.20639636

>>20639634
Consider inquiring in the archives.

>> No.20639637

>>20639563
>pic
and that's a good thing guys?

>> No.20639645

>>20639636
yea thats what im doin after I posted.

>> No.20639659

>>20639634
I had fun with it.

>> No.20639665

>>20639645
I'm proud of you.

>> No.20639667

>>20639630
Metal is childish music and LotR is a book for children.

>> No.20639669

>>20639637
Judge it when I cover subsequent books! In my opinion, Hyperion is so good it's bad :-)

>> No.20639673

>>20639634
It's a decent story that takes half the story to be interesting. Before that it's mostly a lot of faffing about in a pretty cool setting. And it's still only sort of interesting after that halfway point. Overall it's like a 7/10.

>> No.20639686

>>20639229

Sounds based but I guess I was thinking something more along the lines of "materia, little stones you put in weapons that grow and mutate as you fight".

>> No.20639694
File: 50 KB, 334x500, goodint.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20639523
>What books in the genre you enjoyed?
I still have a lot of Harem/Erotica genres to explore, but so far I particularly enjoyed:

Erogamer - A webnovel that's known for being deeper than you'd think, even after taking this statement into account. Story so outstanding in its writing, tackled issues and mastery over words that it can unironicaly be called Literature. How such thing grew out of a forum with erotic fanfics is beyond me. Accessible for free at Questionablequesting forum. But there's an epub on z-lib, probably has the entire thing.

To quote the advertisement:

>>The story of a human being who one day saw a status screen displaying her BOD, LST, SED, FUK, PRV, and ERO.

>>"This is more depth than I was expecting with my porn quest." --- all of the readers

>>"This is way more depth than I was expecting with my porn quest, even taking that statement into account."
Good Intentions - Not self-published and released ten years ago, so you can feel the polish. The book itself is great, probably the best female characters in the genre. It has flaws of course, like modern setting or weird side american side characters, but the story, extremely titilating erotic scenes and the demoness character are simply outsdanding. One of the best Harem/erotica book I've read so far.

Fostering Faust - It's not a great book (trillogy, actually), but a decent one. I wish the main character wasn't that mich of a Mary Sue and leaned more into his devilish deals. The story was a bit formulaic for the author, but decent enough. It has this darker edge, while most of the harems are disgustingly soapy.

Blue Core - LitRPG about a Dungeon Core that tries to exploit the combination of magic and technology to survive. Also, hentai consentacles, as it doesn't have a body, but still fucks. Pretty good, but more because of the plot and world-building that erotic fragmenets themselves.

>> No.20639717

>>20639694
Blue core and Good Intentions don't appeal to me tho, I often hear them being recommended, so you are probably right to praise them. Fostering faust has a good, maybe even great, first book but author either chickened out, lost the plot, or what have you and the second books was a disappointment, still a decent read but as you said - it abandoned core premise almost entirely and reduced meaningful interactions and MC's quality by letting shit just fall into his lap a bit too often.

I might check out Erogamer, thanks, it sounds novel from your description, at the very least.

>> No.20639725

>>20639694
>Good Intentions
imagine reading cuckshit

>> No.20639818

>>20639700
Did this need to be its own thread?

>> No.20639892

>>20639667
You really should be kidding
Metal is the fucking pinnacle of testosterone macho music, so I know you are kidding

>> No.20639910

>>20639892
>Metal is the fucking pinnacle of testosterone macho music
Based, that's my favourite:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIKqgE4BwAY

>> No.20639915

>>20639694
Good Intentions was utter trash. What a cuck simp mc completely broke my immersion. Plus the author constantly trying to shove his degenerate liberal ideology down my throat was unbearable. Did not even make it past half of first book. The sex scenes were alright I guess

>>20639667
Imagine having this much of a bad taste in music

>> No.20639926

>>20639915
>Good Intentions was utter trash. What a cuck simp mc completely broke my immersion. Plus the author constantly trying to shove his degenerate liberal ideology down my throat was unbearable. Did not even make it past half of first book. The sex scenes were alright I guess
What cuck shit. From what I've heard there's some cuckshit starting with Book 3, but I read the first two books and there were zero cuckshit, unless you mean the girlfriends of the main character letting him fuck other girls, thus being cuckqueens.

>> No.20639934

>>20639926
The signs of him being a pathetic weak little simp were always there. It all culminated in book 3 with him becoming a full on cuck.

>> No.20639967

>>20639353
I've definitely had Kane recommended to me before.
The omnibus is available in hardcover for $250 AUD + shipping. I'll review up the old Kindle and have a look. Any particular story you enjoy and recommend I begin with?

>> No.20640023
File: 61 KB, 1679x707, Kane!.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20639967
that is pretty insane for $250 AUD. I unironically bought a bunch of the stories on for maybe $50 USD, to me it's worth it, I like physical books and it's cool to have in the collection. for beginning I think you can just go in order of publication. I like Darkness Weaves in particular

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kane_(fantasy)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkKwkR53gCQ

and above is required listening when reading any sword and sorcery. not sure what the metal haters up above are gettin on about.

>> No.20640027

>>20639195
I like how Divinity Original Sin 2 handles the undead and the combination of elements. It's a good game, worth taking inspiration from.

>> No.20640032
File: 61 KB, 300x400, 300.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.20640078
File: 281 KB, 429x675, hbg-title-9781405511995-19.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20639005
Every book written (, edited) and published should theoretically make the writing better. So maybe their writing and narration is just that much better after going through the process 4 times before? That's my understanding at least.

And yeah, i'm aware that this isn't always the case. And some later books might also be shittier than the ones before it.

>> No.20640083

>>20639694
>Dungeon Core
I always find this a baffling thing because it's about a protagonist who fundamentally isn't much of a person. It can be fascinating in a way, but when your protagonist is a disembodied spirit of a dungeon it's harder to get invested.

>> No.20640093

>>20640083
>I always find this a baffling thing because it's about a protagonist who fundamentally isn't much of a person. It can be fascinating in a way, but when your protagonist is a disembodied spirit of a dungeon it's harder to get invested.
idk, at this point humans are pretty boring to me so I prefer reading something about non-human protagonists. Always liked them desu
Gimme some of that juicy blue and orange morality with protagonist being a monster or alien being

>> No.20640098

>>20640093
Well, Dungeon Cores are often "human isekai'd into being a Dungeon Core" or some shit, so it's less interesting. They're also pretty restrictive by the nature of the sub-genre, as you rarely get too far from the dungeon itself.

>> No.20640132

>>20640098
>Well, Dungeon Cores are often "human isekai'd into being a Dungeon Core" or some shit, so it's less interesting. They're also pretty restrictive by the nature of the sub-genre, as you rarely get too far from the dungeon itself.
Blue Core is actually suprising in this regard, because all of the protagonist's knowledge about technology and science doesn't come from them being an isekaied human, but instead...an isekaied far-future AI tasked with engineering livable habitats in space. It's basically a throw-away line somewhere in book 2, but it puts things into perspective.

>> No.20640135

>>20640132
I mean that's neat I suppose. I just like protagonists to be characters and not buildings.

>> No.20640138

>>20640098
>They're also pretty restrictive by the nature of the sub-genre, as you rarely get too far from the dungeon itself.
To add to this, the story takes the protagonist basically over three continents. It's hard to explain without spoiling, but the dugneon definitely doesn't 'stay' in once place, so to speak.

>> No.20640155

>>20639926
>What cuck shit.
>Proceeds to admit there's cuckshit.
Anon please not all of us are into cuckshit. I've read the series and other than the MC's angel girlfriend admitting she likes the succubus more than the MC the Succubus also fucks other guys and the MC is okay with it. Hell if I remember correctly one of the guys the succubus fucks is an FBI or police officer that she fucks on the reg.

>> No.20640168

>>20640155
that person said that they dropped the first book halfway through
stop being a disingenuous cunt

>> No.20640171

>>20639634
>mother of learning
Tried reading it forever ago, got like half through it and was bored out my mind and eventually dropped it. Solidified in my head that schools are a really bad place to set a story.

>> No.20640175

I want reccomendations of books that weren't originally written in the english language.

>> No.20640177

>>20640175
Anythign Stanislaw Lew

>> No.20640182
File: 1.47 MB, 790x790, 1631317468590.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.20640200

>>20640168
Actually look at and read the post I responded to. Stop being a disingenuous cunt.

>> No.20640264

>>20639634
I'm going to keep trying. Though I wish web novelists would just hold back until they had something bursting to get out of them. Instead it's years of wandering in the desert while they look for a point.

>> No.20640338

>>20640264
MoL was basically written as a test drive for the author's setting, so a lot of the story is really just doing nothing.

>> No.20640356

>>20640338
That makes a lot of sense. So many people in this niche think worldbuilding first so it makes sense that they would feel overflowing when their world ideas matured, even if they had fuck all for story. Not even saying this as a criticism. In fact it's not a bad model to go in with what you're good at and just learn the rest on the job.

>> No.20640362

>>20640356
It is a little weird to go with a timeloop story for a test drive story, though. Surely an adventuring thing spanning the world would make more sense.

>> No.20640367

>>20640362
Timeloop is best for test drive, though. You can rewrite the same story over and over, playing with just an element or two each time. And get feedback each time. Then let the story emerge from that. Now the whole story reads like a metaphor for him learning to write.

>> No.20640370

>>20640367
As he's looping through time, he's just writing drafts, I meant to say.

>> No.20640378

>>20639634
It's great and I don't understand why people don't like it

>> No.20640389

About to dive into the Legend of the Condor Heroes
I hope it's as based as my online friends told me it is

>> No.20640398

>>20639563
Too many pictures.

>> No.20640405

>DCC 4
>the entire segment where Carl and Donut appear on Donut's pet toy sponsor's show
wew lad that was some wild shit
I love this fucking book series.

>> No.20640406

Ubiks been pretty fun.

>> No.20640426
File: 1.70 MB, 210x155, sad angry man.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20640389
>mfw only the first third of the Return to Condor Heroes anime was aired in Japan

>> No.20640553

>>20638844
I'm having a hard time finding book recommendations outside of sci-fi or fantasy. It's like men don't even read anymore. Or get published. You look at a bestseller list and it's all the kinds of books women or teenage girls would read. That or the classics. Then there's the forced diversity agenda on top of that.

>> No.20640555

>>20639218
I haven't read The Belgariad since I was a kid. I don't see very many people talking about it anymore.

>> No.20640599

>>20640553
All the men got stuck starting with the greeks and, you know, keeping the world running.

>> No.20640602

>>20640553
Perhaps you are looking in the wrong places.

>> No.20640607

>>20640553
Why do we need to read stories about killing each other when we can do it in video games.

>> No.20640615 [DELETED] 
File: 34 KB, 1000x1000, 1621726856261.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20639667
>Metal is childish music and LotR is a book for children.

>> No.20640623

>metal
The litrpg of music

>> No.20640625

>>20639667
Terrible bait, but here's a (You) considering you were successful in rusing a few other morons.

>> No.20640645

>>20639630
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOc-OcbHV-w
It's because LOTR is eternally trve, where other fantasy isn't trve.

>> No.20640658
File: 781 KB, 642x915, 680a1167ad622d1a9b3d2646f615635f.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20640645
LOTR is eternally trve
disagree and you're a jew
LOTR forever the best
LOTR and fuck the rest

>> No.20640661

>>20640367
>mother of learning
>about a time loop
>the author is looping his writing
>hes learning to write & make a story from it
this is too meta for me

>> No.20640663
File: 124 KB, 1136x1733, Tolkien - aged 19 high res.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20640658
This is the misery of the Tolkien reader

>> No.20640807
File: 624 KB, 1600x2400, 1651103780678.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

After reading the first two books of this series, i have to say it's really refreshing to read a story about the main character getting stronger with his friends.

>> No.20640844

I'd rather read more ISSTH than Dreadgod

>> No.20640851

Anyone have book recs for stuff with dinosaurs in is cool but that isn't Jurassic Park

>> No.20640856

>>20640844
same bro

when i finished dreadgod the first thing i tought was "if this was ISSTH the book would have 500 more pages, ziel wouldnt kill a fucking dragon off screen after wasting pages explaining what he was doing inside the castle and walking with the said fucking dragon, redmoon - phoenix avatar and whatever wouldnt die in 1 move and 1 page", 470 pages was too little ISSTH would have 1300 pages explaining of meng hao fucking malice and robbing all the loot inside moongrave

>> No.20640859
File: 400 KB, 500x531, 8325a3f4aa6c69089b4f5f81c2d2ec4c351b3c11.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I need a new book to read!!

Favorites:
Book of the New Sun tetralogy
Hyperion 1&2
Anathem

Flaked out of recently:
3 body problem book 2
left hand of darkness

I like books that are literary! Altho I did just read Kingkiller 1/2 and it was ok and just serviceable prose so maybe I will check out another fantasy.
Ty for ur helpo

>> No.20640870

>>20640856
Thank fuck Will Wight understands the importance of brevity.

>> No.20640873

>>20640859
The dread empire

>> No.20640880

>>20640870
you mean laziness

>> No.20640955
File: 1.35 MB, 1400x1400, cofer.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20640645
god I love Summoning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_ekuy27Qdc

Caladan Brood did a pretty good job too - I'd say that album is lightening in a bottle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qApRHrMdang

I'd read Bakker and listen to both Summoning and Caladan Brood on repeat. for me, the soundtrack to the siege of Golgotterath at the end of TUC is Silvertine by Summoning and 50 Forts Along the Rhine by The Ruins of Beverast.

>> No.20640969

>>20640859
>Anathem top 3
>DNF Left Hand of Darkness
you don't deserve to be spoonfed. Just consume the webnovel goyslop

>> No.20640980

>>20639910
Fuck off dude

>> No.20641014 [DELETED] 
File: 309 KB, 1336x2048, 67234314_2414115428872799_5464746298135543808_n.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Finnish Black Metal is supreme
Especially the riff and scream
Finnish Black Metal is sublime
Best music released in this time

>> No.20641016

>>20640969
Don't tempt me, I already like glorified fanfiction (Gideon the Ninth and Murderbot series)!
But Anathem is really good except for the rushed ending. I've had it on my mind for a bit and wanted something kind of like it more so than its in my top 3. It would probably get replaced by A Fire Upon the Deep.
And yea I'm bummed out about left hand too. I only got about 100 pages in. It was well written and the examination of gender's role in our social norms and bullying males was interesting enough, but I didn't really care about the story being told in between the themes. I would probably like a different book by her more.

>> No.20641022

>>20640969
I've read a good amount of le Guin and wouldn't put Left Hand of Darkness in her top 3. Even counting Earthsea as one book.

>> No.20641023
File: 32 KB, 270x360, Ernest Cline bedroom eyes.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Why does it take Ernest "porn auteur" Cline 4-6 years to write a book (poorly) at that when other popular authors are pumping out like one equally sized volume as RP1 each year? Is Ernest Cline a hack???

>> No.20641027

>>20641014
me in the middle back

>> No.20641034 [DELETED] 

>>20640955
>I'd read Bakker
>listen to Black Metal
SVPREME

>> No.20641038

>>20641016
>vernor cringe in the top 5
you need to lurk another 10 years to post here

>> No.20641042

>>20641016
Fire Upon the Deep is no better

>> No.20641048 [DELETED] 

>>20641027
It was a sublime show, didn't expect /sffg/ bros to be at the same room with me.

>> No.20641052

>>20641014
based

>> No.20641056

>>20640807
should I read this litrpg

>> No.20641064

>>20641042
>>20641038
i am a stem autist at heart and love my rationalists and bayesians. It is hard to find well written sci fi with as a strong grasp on as many autistic subjects as someone like Stephenson. But I refuse to go to the depths of HPMoR.

>> No.20641076
File: 461 KB, 910x1280, neuromancerJapanese.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20641064
>But I refuse to go to the depths of HPMoR.
thank god.. cus that dude really grinds my gears y'know? Robo's basilik or whatever dumbass thought experiment those dorks came up with on their online forum.. jesus christ! but yeah Stephenson is great. check out Greg Egan, he is pinnalce autist. like, STEM-god-overlord-multiple-PhDs-non-euclidean fucked up i'm drunk as shit off red wine good night /sffg/ good night!

>> No.20641085

>>20641056
if you hate power of friendship shounen chosen one stories then no.
If you like that stuff then yes.

>> No.20641090

>>20641016
Try A Deadly Education by Naomi Novik then

>> No.20641096
File: 47 KB, 570x349, Arthur Rackham - Peer Gynt.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

What are you reading and what are you planning to read?

>> No.20641103

>>20641096
Book of the new sun
The next book in the series

>> No.20641104
File: 33 KB, 640x348, meng hao.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20641096
About 40% of the way through I Shall Seal The Heavens

>> No.20641137

>>20641096
Mask of the Sorcerer. Not super impressed with it so far, but only just past the beginning now. Probably The Lathe of Heaven after that.

>> No.20641250
File: 45 KB, 312x475, 5B904411-F1D1-469C-80F7-935B4BF16CA6.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20638816
Anyone read this? Poul Anderson and Robert E Howard are my favourite authors so I ordered it. Quite excited for this crossover.

>> No.20641264
File: 45 KB, 564x801, Soulcatcher.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20638816
The best of evil bosses, after Hank Scorpio.

>> No.20641281

>>20640955
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-YwfhPPMXw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpeX5UDWb3E

>> No.20641302
File: 18 KB, 198x228, 1456126688886.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

is Mistborn actually good?
a female protag is a bit of a turn-off but she is ok so far. I am not super invested though.

>> No.20641311

>>20641250
What's the crossover?

>> No.20641314

>>20640851
What, fantasy or sci fi? Don't know any desu besides West of Eden by Harris Harrison, although it's not strictly about dinos.

>> No.20641326

>>20641302
The first mistborn was the worst for me.
I kept on because I'd already read stormlight and was curious about how it connected, also because I'd heard things about the second trilogy which I thought was better.
Both the second and third mistborn books I really liked a lot.

Actual spoilers below

elend is one of my favorite characters in all the cosmere stuff and I really liked the way the romance and ending with him and Vin was done.

>> No.20641351

>>20641302
I tried the first book, but something felt off for me with the female protag (not that that's a deal breaker automatically) and in general it didn't grip me.

>> No.20641357

>>20641351
Yeh. I also didn't like vin at first. Less annoying than shallans though.

>> No.20641425

>>20641311
Poul Anderson writing Conan stories is a crossover of my favourite author and my favourite universe, Conan.

>> No.20641511
File: 21 KB, 250x372, TheBookOfTheShortSun.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I don't know who the fuck Incanto is but I know he's a bitch.

>> No.20641517

Just finished book of the new sun
I did not think it was very good
Did I get filtered, what did I miss

>> No.20641521

>>20641517
Lol you read a 1000 page book you didn't enjoy, get owned.

>> No.20641528

>>20641425
That's a shared universe. A crossover is when characters from different fictional universes meet in a story.

>> No.20641532

>>20639634
It's just Chunin Exam Day(Naruto Fanfiction) with the names changed 50 Shades style.

>> No.20641538

>>20641532
it's not really anything like that

>> No.20641550

>>20641517
I don't even know why /lit/ shills that book.

>> No.20641551

>>20641538
Yes and no, all timeloop stories are mostly the same though.
The surface is different, but the foundation is the same, and that foundation kinda sucks.
It's like litRPG, no matter what you do with it you can't escape what it is at the core.

>> No.20641554
File: 80 KB, 600x536, 1639902168076.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20641517
>he actually fell for it

>> No.20641556

>>20639634
I liked it a lot

>> No.20641560

>>20641528
Oh sorry. Have you read it?

>> No.20641565

What were the 3 most schizo fantasy books you have ever read? Outside of Bakker.

>> No.20641568

>>20641565
I don't think that word means what you think it means. No mentally ill person can write that well, and no normie can write "schizo" fiction because they don't know what it feels like.

>> No.20641577

>>20641568
I didn't really mean literal schizo, although if you read something by a literal schizo, do share. Only one that I have read that was written by actual schizo was probably that manifesto from that black lecturer some months ago, it was posted here on /lit/ too.
By schizo I meant one that is perhaps giving a message that is very nonconformist and not neurotypical. One that gives you a weird message by the end of it, be it political, social that you don't normally see in fantasy.

>> No.20641585

>>20641560
No.

>> No.20641587

>>20641577
>[C]hild slavery existed in Calverinian country. Hundreds of thousands of children, torn from their parents, were thrown into horrible factories, made to work for themselves to death without getting a cent, and horrors upon horrors almost equaled that of perdition [eternal damnation].
https://www.abebooks.com/book-search/title/henry-darger-art-and-selected-writings/
This stuff is written by an actual schizophrenic and it's 15,000 pages of weird fantasy.

>> No.20641595

>>20641587
>He has become famous for his posthumously discovered 15,145-page fantasy novel manuscript called The Story of the Vivian Girls, in What Is Known as the Realms of the Unreal, of the Glandeco-Angelinian War Storm, Caused by the Child Slave Rebellion, along with several hundred drawings and watercolor illustrations for the story.[2]
One of the most based moments in history.

>> No.20641602

>>20641264
I think it was always a case of other Taken being batshit insane. Also, Soulcatcher loses in latter books.

>> No.20641608

>>20641602
Yeah, but that made Taken cool. Sadly we didn't get to explore them enough, at least not most of them, but maybe that was for the better.
>latter books
Yeah, but those are mostly meh, as far as overarching story goes. First book was the best, and Soulcatcher was way more interesting of a character then the Lady, but sadly Cook decided that his waifu was more important.
>>20641587
>>20641595
cool

>> No.20641644

>>20638816
I could never get interested in science fiction , why is that? I can enjoy science fiction movies and I have no problems reading fantasy books. But something about science fiction in book format never interested me. Never picked one up. It also seems that most amjor science fiction works are old while fantasy is still an active burstling field

>> No.20641650

>>20641608
Soulcatcher was a nutcase. Great antagonist. Idk what you mean when you say his waifu was more important. Lady was great too.

>> No.20641661
File: 3.14 MB, 1758x1328, MoonMap1.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Somehow, after over 115 years, the lunar trilogy has been translated.

Started reading it, and also plotting the course on a historically accurate map. I am enjoying it so far.

Is anybody else here autistic enough to follow maps/courses in books?

>> No.20641663

>>20639335
How about sword and planet?
City of the Chasch

>> No.20641664

>>20641521
>>20641550
>>20641554
Jfc
I really did

I just want a grand scifi book
Like Malazan in space

>> No.20641685

>>20641664
Did someone tell you book of the new sun takes place in space? And you were waiting until the very end for them to go to space? Lmao. Seriously though, you just didn't get it, try reading it from start to finish again.

>> No.20641686

>>20641685
I might just cave and read cradle unironically
At least it will keep me busy for a month or two

>> No.20641699
File: 26 KB, 220x335, Pandora's_Star.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Is this good

>> No.20641707

>>20641699
My dad likes the fuck out of it.

>> No.20641723

>>20641707
tell me about your dad

>> No.20641770

>>20639694
Do you guys remember one of these Harem books where the protag was isekai'd into a world with only eldricht abominations that compete for him?
Cannot recall it.

>> No.20641773

>>20641770
Lost erotic novel of Lovecraft?

>> No.20641795

>>20641707
Same. Dad has also read just about every Dune novel published, for some reason.

>> No.20641801 [DELETED] 

>>20641770
>harem
trash
>it's only spookies
kino

>> No.20641866

>>20640555
1. It wasn't good.
2. Eddings has been canceled for keeping a child locked up in a cage in his basement.

>> No.20641905

>>20640406
it's bretty gud
I enjoyed it a lot

>> No.20641910
File: 24 KB, 267x400, peer-gynt.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20641096
I'm reading motherfucking Peer Gynt right now, but unfortunately I'm suffering through the "dude all scandinavian languages are interchangeable bro, just read 200 year old norwegian lmao" meme.

>> No.20641918
File: 23 KB, 257x388, 1641157283120.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20641096
Ted Chiang's first short story collection
probably the 2nd one next

>> No.20641938

>>20639218
Oh god I remember trying to read this and I just couldn't understand why Polgara was such a bitch, she has lived for thousands of years and still acts like she's on her period 24/7. Another thing that completely ruined the book for me is when they shattered Garions' internal conflict at the end of the novel. He was wondering why the hell he's even following Polgara when she can't be his aunt or why he's even here in the first place, when he's told 'why does it matter stop acting like a kid btw I am your greatx100 aunt and thats your greatx100 grandfather now come and follow this prophecy for me.

>> No.20641950

>>20641866
>Eddings has been canceled for keeping a child locked up in a cage in his basement.
wat

>> No.20641956

>>20640083
Most of them are pretty horrible, especially the litrpg ones which is all of them, the only one thats good is the "Dungeon without a System". It actually makes the back and forth interactions between Dungeon and Adventurer extremely interesting.

>> No.20641967

>>20641950
https://www.reddit.com/r/Fantasy/comments/9g51bb/david_eddings_child_abuse_allegations/

Apparently him and his wife locked up foster children in their dog cage.

>> No.20641978

>>20641967
To think that all of Belegriad was David's compensation for locking up children with dead parents in homes with unloving caretakers, maybe the white markings were just due to the lack of sunlight exposure inside David's dog cage.

>> No.20642001
File: 4 KB, 89x90, nervous.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Is Interview with the Vampire supposed to make me want to know what sucking semen out of a dick feels like?

>> No.20642018

>>20640658
tolkien's poetry is so ageless

>> No.20642031

>>20641967
My awkward, perpetually single uncle had Domes of Fire in his room when I was little. I read quite a bit of it. Weird that Eddings abused a kid.

>> No.20642033

>>20642001
>Is Interview with the Vampire supposed to make me want to know what sucking semen out of a dick feels like?
No, it's the later books in the series that are supposed to mind break you. Btw, unless you are really down bad for fantasy, don't read further than the second book. It's not worth it, seriously. Spare yourself reading about shit like A man being masturbated during shower by ghost of his dead twin. Both are male btw.

>> No.20642045

>>20641950
>wat
The mother was also sexually abusing the daughter, molesting her and stuff. It all came up years ago. Eddings are basically unanonimously denounced and despised.

>> No.20642053

>>20642031
Is there something you want to talk about, anon?
>>20642045
>The mother was also sexually abusing the daughter, molesting her and stuff.
Truly, the gentle sex.

>> No.20642092

Ok I'm starting hyperion

>> No.20642117

>>20642092
>Ok I'm starting hyperion

>he fell for the hyperion meme
Anon, don't. Unless you read it as a comedy. Then it's hilarious.

>> No.20642138

I can only read Mervyn Peake at 340 WPM.... I suppose it's supposed to be a slow burning and comfy read anyway.

>> No.20642166

>>20642117
God damn it
Ok I'll start cradle then

>> No.20642215

Are the Realm of the Elderlings books YA shit or are they okay?

>> No.20642233

I need something grim to read after black company and dread empire
Which Conan book do I start with?

>> No.20642240

>>20642033
Is the shower interaction consensual? People being raped by ghosts isn't all that radical.

>> No.20642252

>>20642233
Conan is not very grim. It’s more adventurous. My favourite is Tower of the Elephant, which has some weirder elements in it. Scarlet Citadel is also really good.

>> No.20642260

>>20642233
The Complete Chronicles of Conan

>> No.20642270

>>20642215
They are more serious literature than 99% of books discussed in these threads.

>> No.20642324

>>20642240
>Is the shower interaction consensual? People being raped by ghosts isn't all that radical.
Neither desu, they guy just stand there and lets his brother jack him off until he finishes

>> No.20642478

>>20642117
>>20642166
fuck off, Hyperion is great. just treat it as a standalone and ignore the sequels.

>> No.20642560

>>20642478
>fuck off, Hyperion is great. just treat it as a standalone and ignore the sequels.
A great comedy, you mean. There are some interesting concepts, especially the plotline with the priest. But the jew stuff? The weird, nonsensical romance? That's just stupid on its own.

But the soldier plotline? That's pure, refined comedic gold. I've never laughed harder at a book (well, against the intention of the author that is) than when reading about him rolling down the hill while ejaculating his sperm everywhere, because his glorious waifu turned her vagina into a metal jaw belonging to an insane murder-robot from the future.

I literally went and dropped the book soon after. I'd never before or after DNF book at 80%. I will NOT allow people to meme others into reading it without warning.

>> No.20642567

>>20642560
>Shrike ends up being modeled after the soldier because
Every book was a crock and yet my dumb young ass read all four at the time.

>> No.20642586

>>20640599
In short, struggling to survive and pay the bills while contemplating suicide.
>>20640602
Yeah probably. I just wonder what happened to old boys like John D. Macdonald and Elmore Leonard. Is there still popular bestselling fiction written for men these days? Are they all dying off like Stephen King? Am I just missing it? I've enjoyed a couple of Stephen Hunter's books, but he's also on his way out. I guess I'm supposed to be cheering for the death of the evil patriarchy.
>>20640607
Two different things and don't even get me started on stories in video games.

>> No.20642624

Valgard is a compelling villain because any one of us could be in his position and we’d be embittered like him if we experienced what he did…

>> No.20642657

>>20640851
Have you actually read it? It's much loved for a reason.

>> No.20642671

>>20641038
Yeah like the anons on /sffg/ are known for their taste in books.

>> No.20642734

>>20641644
You probably read some science fiction that didn't appeal to you. There's pulpy science fiction and there's big idea brain-fucking stuff that only appeals to some autists. Then there's the problem of sequels. You liked that book about shooting aliens in space? Oh the sequel's really about dysfunctional family dynamics, the biology and culture of gross pig people, and how we never really know other people or cultures after they die. The fact is there are probably sci-fi books out there you would love more than any fantasy you've ever read. It's just hard to sort through it all because it's a useless label.

>> No.20642792

>>20641096
Dune series. Read the first years ago and didn't retain any of it, now got the itch to read the whole saga

>> No.20642807

>>20641723
He’s a rich failson who squandered his writing talent and promising career in STEM on drinking and partying but now he’s in a job he loves whilst getting married to another woman much younger than him. He just gifted me The Hobbit and some other books for no reason. Good guy really.

>> No.20642878

>>20642001
It's about Anne Rice's repressed desires, so pretty much yeah. Her characters are all very self-inserty.

>> No.20642897

Any fantasy set in late XIX - early XX century Europe-like setting but not steampunk ?

>> No.20643063

>>20642166
Cradle is one of those series where it unironically takes a few books to get good. For me that was book 4. Spent a few months reading books 2-3 in bed on my phone because I kept falling asleep trying to read it.

>> No.20643197
File: 10 KB, 277x182, semiconductor.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20641707
>>20642807
sounds pretty based. and today I learned what the word "failson" means.

three quarters thru Seveneves, hoping to power thru it tonight. god I hate Hillary Clinton. what do I read next?

>Flowers for Algernon
>Excession (Culture book)
>House of Suns (Reynolds)
>Name of the Rose (Eco.. not /sffg/ but supposedly a comfy priest murder mystery)

>> No.20643205

>>20643197
>what do I read next?
Decide for yourself.

>> No.20643221

>>20641096
Aniara. it's poetry translated, so i guess that's why some parts i don't like or understand at all. but some parts i like and i also like how the overall arch is progressing

>> No.20643242
File: 44 KB, 460x575, redmask.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20640851
Malazan

>> No.20643250
File: 210 KB, 838x983, Walking Bakker.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.20643255 [DELETED] 

Bakker is back and more schizo than ever, what are your thoughts on this latest blogpost?

>> No.20643257

>>20643255
Link that shit to me. Should be good.

>> No.20643274

What happened to MAGNA CUM? Did she release any new books?

>> No.20643304
File: 507 KB, 2000x2000, MAGNA.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20643274

>> No.20643530
File: 115 KB, 860x921, mother-of.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20643221
>Aniara
>long form epic sci-fi poem
>earned the author the nobel prize for literature

>> No.20643545

>>20643250
Delete this right now.

>> No.20643687

>>20641699
read only the first two books the series (pandoras star and judas unchained), it gets progressively worse after that

>> No.20643755

Would a medieval princess be tried or punished if she was found to have poisoned her brother, a prince? How would this work in an absolute monarchy?

>> No.20643767

>>20641773
>>20641770
Nvm, I found it. It's Mask of the template.

>> No.20643771

>>20643530
yes, but honestly i wouldn't recommend it unless you can read the original, otherwise you will lose 50% of the value in the translation as it0s happening to me. some parts are great but the words don't add up, you feel something is missing idk how to explain it. but i bet the original with proper rymes and musicality is fantastic

>> No.20643782

>>20643755
I don't know of such example, although I know of cases of noblewomen killing, poisoning relatives, I think it could lead to execution or at least banishment and getting locked up in a convent or some remote island and so on.

>> No.20643804

>>20643782
Who'd dish out the punishment though? Who is above a princess if the queen refused to punish her and her father was dead (as it is in my plot)?

>> No.20643826

>>20643804
So who is the ruler then? I would assume if princess was the only heir then she would take the throne and yeah, she would escape punishment that way, unless her subjects and vassals dislike her and decide to rebel. Which they might do, if they don't accept a female ruler or a murderer or for other x reasons or all of the above.
You can look at Cleopatra - she killed her husband-brother and took the throne with the help of the Romans and really there only was her sister left alive that was in no place to stop Cleopatra.

>> No.20643831

>>20643804
You think too highly of princesses, they are nothing more than pussies to trade for political favors. Any decent noble party could take her out to the streets and pass her round like a whore if there was noone to stop them.

>> No.20643845

>>20643197
Name of the Rose is an all-time fav for me. Some people find it boring, but the parts they call boring for me qualify as atmospheric. If you like lore and worldbuilding in fantasy, you can see Eco doing the same things here.

>> No.20644106
File: 207 KB, 1080x995, 1644815034635.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>that dog in Lyonesse vol. II where that dog goes full kujo

>> No.20644120

>>20643755
Like Suldrun, she'd probably be banished to a secret place in the kingdom (eg. a hidden garden, or an old spire) where she could be forgotten

>> No.20644171
File: 192 KB, 1529x2200, forsaken.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20643767
The sequel was so much better. Shame he got disgusted with the mc and dropped it.

>> No.20644238
File: 1.81 MB, 1889x579, file.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

is this really what she's described as looking like?

>> No.20644271
File: 35 KB, 809x333, file.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20644238

>> No.20644272

>>20644238
Isn't she on the cover of Oathbringer? Wouldn't say any of these are particularly close, too asian or black.

>> No.20644309
File: 34 KB, 1024x234, file.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20644272
apparently it's close. I looked at oathbringer and jasnah does have darker skin. I guess that's how all alethi people are supposed to look officially

>> No.20644342

>>20644271
Holy fuck that is some atrocious writing. The most dry, overly long description that creates no real impression, just a laundry list of features described in the most unimaginative and literal manner. Zero sense of word economy tied to first grade level vocabulary.

>> No.20644390
File: 8 KB, 222x216, 1616471313741.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>You are fallen from Him like sparks from the flame. A dark wind blows, and you are soon to flicker out.
How is Bakker so good at making fake Bible passages?

>> No.20644401

>>20644390
What faggot translation of the bible reads like that? It sounds like it came from someone's livejournal.

>> No.20644427

>>20644309
Alethi are generally pretty dark-skinned. They vary, but the palest is close to Indian. They don't really go full African, but they're not far off. The phenotypes on Roshar don't necessarily all map to the real world, so you have some weirder ones but the Alethi are fairly simple.

>> No.20644460

>>20644342
it's not bad at all IMO. you get the sense that she's a strong authoritative figure and her look compliments it. the discriminating pale violet eyes is a good description in context of the world.

>> No.20644513

>>20644460
It's also used from the perspective of somebody who admires her meeting her for the first time, so it being overbearing makes sense. It's not great, but that's what it is.

>> No.20644530

>>20643826
Thanks for the feedback, I guess the idea of a court rebellion would work

>> No.20644535

>>20644390
Literally stop shilling yourself Bakker, it's fucking embarrassing

>> No.20644586
File: 174 KB, 1622x2560, mnt kng2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20644171
>Shame he got disgusted with the mc and dropped it.
But there is a book 2. You mean there will not be a book 3?

>> No.20644644

Why do so many scifi classics go on to become series that suck dick and ball
Dune
Hyperion
Rama
Ringworld
like it just keeps happening, there's a book and it's great and then there's more books and they are fucking garbage

>> No.20644687

>>20643197
Flowers for Algernon to step down to a more intimate scale and then House of Suns to ramp the scale all the way back up again. Don't bother with Excession, it's just a bunch of emails between robots interspersed with a tedious romance story.

>> No.20644696

>>20644644
I feel like for a lot of sequels it's the author trying to one-up himself instead of simply continuing a story. Sci-fi, more than fantasy, seems to be about having that big idea that will wow the reader.

>> No.20644700

>>20643242
What's a rygtha really look like anon?

>> No.20644702

>>20644644
>dune
the sries doesn't suck and it peaks on god emperor
>Ringworld
the ringworld series wasn't planned as a series and larry wrote the second to correct some technical mistakes and the third because he couldn't finish another book, even then i think the second book is mostly okay on its own (except for some glaring mistakes like killing halrloprillalar

>> No.20644705
File: 554 KB, 1280x851, apes.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20644644

>> No.20644712

>>20644702
>it peaks on god emperor
This is just sunk cost cope. It peaks on Dune.
>but muh rambling anecdotes about ancstral memory!
Yeah, we had those in Children, didn't make it good either

>> No.20644713

>>20642792
Dune really disappointed me for all the praise it gets. I'm definitely doing a reread in the coming year, but my first impressions were far from spectacular. I could see myself loving it if there was nothing else to compare it to. Kind of like back in the day with LotR when we ate up all those crappy knock-off books simply because we wanted more LotR.

>> No.20644749

>>20644342
I disagree. It's practical writing. Obvious. Workmanlike. It feels like a lot of writers are trying to punch above their own weight with a thesaurus. Not Sanderson. Sanderson's a guy that shows up every day and flips decent burgers. Not great ones. Not atrocious ones.

>> No.20644762

>>20644271
Appearance-exposition like this is a big red flag for me

>> No.20644765

>>20644712
dune had plenty of rambling as well if you wanna complain about that

>> No.20644770

>>20644535
Okay, Will.

>> No.20644785

>>20643845
>>20644687
thanks bros. everyone seems to like Excession. I have read Consider and Player of Games, was gonna go onto Excession next or Use of Weapons, how is that?

>> No.20644790

>>20644785
Use of Weapons is much better

>> No.20644848

>>20644401
That sounds like very bitter seethe.

>> No.20644861

>>20643304
I was at Target just now and it looked like every women's lit book was titled The X of Y

>> No.20644990

>>20642478
Just finished the last book. It slogs for a bit but overall the Hyperion series is pretty great.

>> No.20644997

Over halfway though Three Body Problem. Not exactly what l was expecting but it's enjoyable enough.

>> No.20645015

>>20641608
Couldn't get through the later books. Are they worth it?

>> No.20645023

>>20642092
I thought it was good. The first one is really good, the others are just fine.

>> No.20645105
File: 28 KB, 340x500, monsters 6.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

He Who Fights With Monsters 6 was a surprising step up from the last few. A little sadder and more tragic, or at least compromised. There was still a lot of prog fuckery, but when it got on track it was better than the other Earth books. I had almost given up at this point.

>> No.20645112
File: 32 KB, 540x318, Crocodile.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20641096
I guess I'll add my own this thread. I'm reading the Tarnsman of Gor right now for my weekend reading and not sure what to read next.
>>20641910
>I'm reading motherfucking Peer Gynt
MY MAN
I never actually red it, I just liked the pic.
>>20641103
>The next book in the series
Urth of the New Sun or are you in the middle of it?
>>20642792
I read the first in 2020. I should've read the second right after since I've forgotten so much of it.

>> No.20645119
File: 32 KB, 265x386, TheThreeStigmataOfPalmerEldritch(1stEd).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Just finished this and the idea of alien organism using an alternate reality inducing drug to perpetuate itself was very original. I also liked the religious references. But it was bit disapointing because I was expecting more.

>> No.20645120

>>20645105
if you didn't like the others why did u read 5 books worth of it?

>> No.20645138

>>20645120
>better than the last few
>best of the Earth books
I think any normal person could understand the post.

>> No.20645155
File: 200 KB, 1399x2173, 34E71457-7231-43C5-B0C8-828914EB85DF.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

It’s so comfy and nostalgic. I look forward to reading the other entries. Contact Harvest looks especially good

>> No.20645215

Water Margin is rad.

>> No.20645264 [SPOILER] 
File: 98 KB, 604x447, Screenshot from 2022-07-07 21-46-22.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20644586
No book 3. Pic is the afterword of book 2.

>> No.20645294

>>20645119
The only other book of his I've read is The Man in the High Castle, and I thought it was dramatically better than that. PKD always seems to aim way higher than he can strike.

>> No.20645299

>>20645294
he's just an ideasguy

>> No.20645319

>>20645155
shame Nylund has done fuck all outside of Halo

>> No.20645331

>>20645119
PKD is great at inventing a fictional drug and basing an entire plot around it.
>>20645294
>I've read two whole PKD novels
>the rest of this post

>> No.20645351
File: 261 KB, 249x387, Lies.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20645331
I remember one.. I think it was Lies Inc.. where the main character is on planet Mars or some shit and an enemy shoots him with an LSD dart. this is towards the very beginning of the book mind you. the entire rest of the book is the main character tripping. am I write PKD bros? I must have read this book 15 years ago. what a neat album cover btw, it's very "clean"

>> No.20645364

>>20645351
I've read it too and it sounds vaguely familiar although I admit that while I have read most of his works, I don't remember details regarding many. I do remember Lies Inc. being one of my favorites but I couldn't tell you the plot off-hand heh

>> No.20645381

Water Sleeps

>> No.20645388

>>20645364
I am honestly the same way with PKD.. I've read a ton of his shit but don't remember a lot. but this may also be because a) my memory isn't great b) it's been so long since I'm read him and c) this guy's prose is like spaghetti, and not the good kind

>> No.20645404
File: 170 KB, 740x1627, black company.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20645381
One of the cooler slogans/phrases I've seen in sff. It is evocative.
>>20645388
Poor memory and me reading a lot in general for me.
I do remember there is usually at least one khazar woman with fat tits in each of his books and at least one significant female supporting lead that is batshit psychotic

>> No.20645478
File: 114 KB, 551x767, 1IAGzwCTzPQfaUMMjO45OEk84POmyaz4unHH7galTY0.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20645404
I prefer the map from the book

>> No.20645550

>>20645478
Oh something that bothered me for a while was the route toadkiller dog and the limper took, when toadkiller dog was chasing him back from around beyrl after the skywhales and reverse centaurs and talking rocks fucked him up.
They ran the whole way back right, to the east and crossed somewhere on a bridge?
That's a long ass way

>> No.20645569

Need book recs.
I write fantasy, but for a long time I have found so many of these fantasy books to be so dull.
I used to enjoy the Shannara series like ten years ago, so I tried to read one of them again, but it is so bland and uninspired, all the characters are made of cardboard.
Last year The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss, and it was quite enjoyable, but it is like the author is trying to make the world as dull as possible.
I really just want a traditional, well written fantasy book with magic and monsters.

>> No.20645576
File: 129 KB, 768x1024, cuckkiller chronicles.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20645569
>it was quite enjoyable

>> No.20645600

>>20645569
The dread empire, many interesting PoV characters

Old Wizards, mercenaries, lost kings, conmen, dragons, monsters, prophets, ancient gods/evils, no chosen one crap

>> No.20645629

>>20645576
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xu6MaN9tT_8

>> No.20645682

>>20645600
Does vakthlokkur cuck mocker or does mocker cuck vakthlokkur?

>> No.20645685

>>20645629
This seemed funnier in my head.

>> No.20645694

>>20645381
and Truth Shines.

>> No.20645710

>>20644390
doesn't sound biblical at all

>> No.20645746

>>20645682
Pretty sure mocker cucks varthlokkur

>> No.20646025

Bump

>> No.20646085

Bump Limit

>> No.20646117

>It's a "Meng Hao cons someone of all their money then brutally murders them if they object" episode

>> No.20646393
File: 26 KB, 340x320, 1650321988996.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20639694
Needed something whispering in my ear at work to kill the time. Poking through the torrents in the couple minutes I had at break and settled on it because I couldn't find anything more appealing. Figured if it was too bad I could it off and be bored.

I ended up legit liking it quite a bit.

>> No.20646400
File: 562 KB, 2592x1936, 1626371232423.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20640607
Why not read stories of people playing video games instead of playing video games? It's like twitch but more smut and power fantasies.

>> No.20646404

>>20640851
Star force by Aer-ki Jyr

>> No.20646405

New thread
>>20646403

>> No.20646415

>>20646405
New thread is made at page 10, newfag.

>> No.20646416

>>20646415
Sorry.

>> No.20646425
File: 499 KB, 1611x2396, 1649731496776.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20646415
Not that your wrong but cock sucking jannies like you still shouldn't be calling people newfags. Need to keep a demeaner of aloof professionalism as you pretend to not be a poster banning people for having forbidden opinions or tastes.

>> No.20646490

>>20646415
>New thread is made at page 10, newfag.
Idk if it matters, these days we more often than not do not get a link to new thread before the current is over. Very annoying

>> No.20646537

New thread
>>20646536

>> No.20646557

>>20645155
If you plan on reading the Halo books, I would only recommend the Eric Nylund books which are Fall of Reach, First Strike and Ghosts of Onyx. The only other good Halo books are by Joe Staten (who was the writer for most of the original trilogy) and he wrote Contact Harvest and Shadow of Intent. The other Halo books and especially the 343 era ones are really bad