[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 175 KB, 1500x1194, crystal city john harris.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
20795516 No.20795516 [Reply] [Original]

It's becoming impossible to find new science fiction literature that isn't unbelievably pozzed.
Guys like Stephen Baxter, Alastair Reynolds, and Paul Macauley are still writing, but their output and quality aren't what they used to be.
There's a lot of self-published stuff on Amazon, but most of it is dogshit, and it's difficult to know in advance what might be worth reading, because Amazon's review algorithm is broken. (Everything now has 4 - 4.5 stars.)
I need help, /lit/. What's good?
I have two conditions: (1) I never read anything that was written by a woman, dead serious, and (2) I don't want to be lectured about current-year politics. That is all.
Thank you for your assistance.

>> No.20796724

wondering the same...

>> No.20797581

>>20796724
I'm starting to think that the genre has been murdered -- or perhaps that's true of all contemporary literature post 2015...

>> No.20798122

>>20795516
It does feel like sci-fi/fantasy has been hit the hardest with woke agenda pushing. But I wouldn't completely write off self-published books, there's so much it's statistically impossible that there isn't something you'd like. Otherwise, just stick with older books.

>> No.20798133

>>20795516
3 body problem was pretty based.

>> No.20798534

>>20798133
Yeah, it was cool. Incidentally that year (2015) was the last time a man won a Hugo award. Every one since, and like 95% of nominations since, have gone to women. And most of those books are absolute garbage.
SF is the only genre of fiction that still has more male than female readers. Why are the trying so hard to ruin it?

>> No.20798672
File: 4 KB, 250x227, 1588203165122.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>le morally gray reddit universe
>what if AI.. took over society..
>what if there were tardigrades on teh moon xD... but they were WEAPONS !?
>dude.. it was an allegory for the cold war..

imagine wasting your time with this garbage genre

>> No.20798805
File: 236 KB, 1687x2550, 71BbpPa-l8L.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

It's not that science fiction was singled out by the woke agenda, it's that it lends itself well to it. It's easy to use the genre to tell robot-themed adaptations of the same tired tranny story to a new audience.

>> No.20798861

>>20795516
>current-year politics
I could shill you my own book, but the book's flavor is privacy, government surveillance, and corruption.

>> No.20800250

>>20798672
If you're here, it's probably okay.
>>20798805
The tranny thing usually isn't even coherent. It can be handled adroitly -- the way Iain M. Banks did it -- but authors/publishers today are more interested in scoring political points.

>> No.20800781

>>20795516
I don't get it why people are so lamenting over things from the past that are fulfilled genres and/or movements
Sci-fi was built by people who genuinely believed in a future of technological miracles and that was the whole point of it, whereas people now think technology or those who wield it will enslave us. Hell, even Dune was a Copernican turn for sci-fi, where Arrakis is reminiscent more of a village in Albania producing heroin than the Jetsons, with Foundation and the like. If you want something debasing, read something from the past, even from before WW2.

>> No.20800785

The Hugo is a popularity contest. Not surprising it's been subverted by wokeists who loudly and violently shout anything not conforming to their world view. Most people are sheep and don't feel strongly enough to disagree with the angry vocal minority

>> No.20801094

>>20800781
I don't think that it's completed by any means. In a broad sense, it is the literature of the future and of human potential. It is a potent antidote to the dismal screeds of the pessimists, and, at its best, it stands in perfect opposition to the excessively ephemeral, self-referential, and nonsensical literary fiction of our day.
And, in fact, the science fiction of the 1950s-1980s is very different from that of the 1990s-present. I don't mean in terms of wokeness, nor in terms of style, but merely in the fact that the older stuff didn't usually anticipate the internet, so their imagined futures often feel somehow unreal. SF, as a genre, needs to be continually refreshed and recalibrated, even in a Bayesian sense.
One of the things the human race desperately needs is optimistic science fiction for a heroic age.
Instead, we're getting dogshit written by bluehaired transgender activists.

>> No.20801113
File: 107 KB, 500x667, Chloe_Norgaard_Blue_Hair_Beauty_SarinaFlores_5 (1).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20801094
It's a shame that weird colored hair has become associated with retarded left wing politics. I used to find some blue hair art hoe girls very pretty desu.

>> No.20801148

I had what I believe is an original-ish Sci-Fi plot, but I lack proper ideas to ever finish it.

>> No.20801195

>>20801148
Do you think proper ideas are something you're born with? Just study and do it.

>> No.20801219

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91gT68xeDMM

>> No.20801408

>>20795516
I gave up on scifi nearly ten years ago at this point. I just gradually stopped seeking out new stuff when it was all garbage.

>> No.20801458

>>20800781
Unread

>> No.20801483

>>20798534
> Why are the trying so hard to ruin it?
Same reason all male hobby spaces are taken over and left in ruins. Easy to infiltrate and absorb. Simp men enable and put purplehairs in charge and then it’s all over.

>> No.20802413

>>20801408
There has been some good stuff in the past 10 years, but it's very few and far between. Gibson's The Peripheral was kino, anyway... And Nick Land actually wrote some very decent novellas...
In a weird way, the 2000-2008 period was a sort of golden age. The stuff written back then is new enough to feel perfectly modern and not strangely anachronistic, and yet it typically makes zero concessions to wokeness.

>> No.20802461
File: 51 KB, 342x500, 51xgWxZ-f-L._SL500_.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20795516
Just read the old stuff. The Steel Rat series, Starship Troopers a Company of Stars, Odd Jon... stuff by: Christopher Stascheff, Blish, Zelazny...even CS. Lewis's Prelandia is good.

>> No.20802467

>>20800781
>filtered

>> No.20802474

>>20795516
Learn a new language. Japan still has a ton of great contemporary novels coming out, not just SF, it's great. I don't know Korean or Chinese but feel like they might have a lot to offer as well. There is no reward to writing good fiction in the west, since the awards will just pick whatever is on the agenda list for the day.

>> No.20802476

>>20795516
why don't you try having a better taste?

>> No.20802478

>>20798672
>Frog poster
>spews reddlt tropes
Dunning Kruger: you got it bad

>> No.20802655

I liked Otherland by Tad Williams. Imma just re-read that.

>> No.20802696

>>20802474
I want to call you a weeb, but Grimgar and Bakemonogatari are genuinely great.

>> No.20804111

>>20795516
You need to lay off the politics.

>> No.20804233

>>20804111
>You need to lay off the politics.
Last four years of Hugo nominations:

Mary Robinette Kowal (woman)
Becky Chambers (woman)
Yoon Ha Lee (tranny)
Naomi Novik (woman)
Rebecca Roanhorse (woman, black, Indian (feather))
Catherynne M Valente (woman)

Arkady Martine (woman)
Charlie Jane Anders (tranny)
Tamsyn Muir (woman)
Kameron Kurley (woman)
Seanan McGuire (woman)
Alix E Harrow (woman)

Martha Wells (woman)
Rebecca Roanhorse (woman, black, Indian (feather))
NK Jemisin (woman, black)
Tamsyn Muir (woman)
Susanna Clarke (woman)
Mary Robinette Kowal (woman)

Arkady Martine (woman)
Becky Chambers (woman)
Ryka Aoki (woman, Asian)
P Djeli Clark (black)
Andy Weir (søyboy)
Shelley Parker-Chan (woman, Asian)

>> No.20804298

>>20804233
Are you OP? Because if so, I question why you ignore the proposed solution.

>> No.20804347

>>20798805
I don't understand how your second sentence was supposed to elaborate on your first sentence

>> No.20805555
File: 323 KB, 307x485, JapaneseMysteryStories.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20804298
Is the solution to learn Japanese?
In all seriousness, it's really not a bad idea, and I know this from first-hand experience of sorts.
Before Covid, I used to travel to Japan regularly on business. Sometimes I would bring along my wife, who is an avid reader of mystery stories. We found the book in picrel in a Japanese bookstore. It contains English translations of award-winning Japanese mystery stories. My wife read it, and then I read it, and we both agreed that it was the best mystery story anthology that we had ever read.
So I'm sure that there are tons of great science fiction works in Japanese, which haven't (yet) been translated into English. I tried to find more works from some of the authors, to no avail -- they hadn't had anything else translated.
Something I'd eventually like to do is start a company to translate fiction from Japanese to English. I suppose I could start with Mishima's sole SF novel, which was never translated into English, and which I am curious about...

>> No.20805561

Pozzed Wokeism is so prevalent in science fiction because it IS the future.

>> No.20805607

Yes
there are groups that help you find good stuff tho, ADL, hope not hate, SPLC, countless different jewish groups, they all keep lists of great books and authors

>> No.20805639

>>20804111
No, he's right. /pol/ bitches about the woke boogeyman behind every rock but the truth is, sci-fi fans have a valid complaint.

>> No.20805652

>>20802413
So I read Peripheral and Agency. You have to give Gibson credit with the Jackpot, predicting Russia stuff etc. From some venture capital knowledge, I can also accredit his tech, the laminar AR stuff reminds me of an old prematurely hyped tech company called Layar, their augmented reality presentation slides and pitchbook resembles the plot and tech of the Agency novel.

One failing of Gibson's future vision is that it seems very derived from a frictionless subcontracting postscarcity abundance futurist vision (nothing really ever breaks, all the tech seems to work... because nanomachines lol)

The Agency novel takes this to absurd hyper micro contracting levels, where they hire endless trustworthy autonomous agents like some sort of infinitely replenishable mercenary Uber or Mechanical Turk or Fiverr / Upwork freelance outsourcing service. I understand why he does it (the plot is basically a breathtaking nonstop chase/evasion hunt) Maybe Gibson was also trying to insinuate that the AI is taking over humans as nodes in its goalseeking, and only requires one human as a trust / encryption verification (the main character is named... Verity).

But it seems paradoxical that the collapse / Jackpot can happen due to failed societal coordination, yet... in the future they have freelance mercenary service infrastructure that outpaces anything achievable in the real world.

>> No.20805656

>>20805652
also in William Gibson's Agency, the AI is a black woman

>> No.20805670

>>20805652
The pseudo/not time travel thing in the Peripheral and Agency novels is really clever. It works in a sort of Terminator John Connor sense of sending literal hardware blueprints to the not-Past / contemporaneous alt worlds but it also strongly suggests that the quantum tunnelling devices are just simulated futures. Perhaps none of the characters are even real, they are all simulations being run to work out which atrocity outcome yields massive optimal financial payoffs in the Jackpot / collapse. It is reminiscent of scenario planning or Delphi Oracle method or even some sort of Monte Carlo modelling simulation with various parameters being recalibrated from a base scenario. I think the titles also give it away a little: a Peripheral can mean hardware, but also a peripheral ie fringe conspiracy movement becoming mainstream; Agency can mean espionage or autonomous capacity for action but also strongly invokes multi-agent economic modelling / game-theoretic modelling reminiscent of the Monte Carlo methods described above.

>> No.20805678

>>20802655
Have you read Caliban's Hour by Tad Williams, it has a dreamy lyrical feel reminiscent of the best bits of Memory Sorrow Thorn. There is some Freud mother stuff. If you do not want to imagine Caliban as an oppressed black slave person, just think of him as some sort of magic changeling / elf, this actually fits in with a lot of Tad Williams fantasy in Osten Ard

>> No.20805702

Greg Egan of Axiomatic and Permutation City has a very realistic sci-fi / speculative future vision. His work appears deeply rooted in mathematics, statistics and programming. Some people accredit his short stories from the 90s and early 2000s novels as a narrative vision predicting decentralised exchange, distributed contracts so beloved of crypto hype now. This April 2022 story about a smartphone app shows how he approaches sci fi / speculative fiction - it begins in a fairly mundane manner, but ends up feeling like it is something that can believably happen.

The best sci fi does not predict future tech it predicts the societal response to the future.

https://clarkesworldmagazine.com/egan_04_22/

>> No.20805721

>>20805702
Egan is good. I won't say based, for he went through a hyper-soi phase about 10-12 years ago, where every story he wrote was about muh poor Iranian female mathematician refugees, but he seems to have recovered from that phase, and his recent short fiction output is excellent.

>> No.20805732

>>20800781
Dune is apparently a huge metaphor for sex. It is sort of obvious when you think about the Oedipal mother stuff, the phallic sandworms.

Frank Herbert's many obscure inspirations include the book "The Sexual Cycle of Human Warfare" by N.I.M. Walter which argues that war is like a civilizational-level collective orgasm.

There is also this direct interview from the author Frank Herbert himself:

http://www.sinanvural.com/seksek/inien/tvd/tvd2.htm
(...)
FH: But at this point he becomes that…that impossible thing, that non-existent thing, the absolute evil.

WM: Yes.

FH: You see, and so we turn the whole thing whirling backward through the story. There was another thing there, in the pacing of the story, very slow at the beginning. It’s a coital rhythm all the way through the story.

WM: It’s a what?

FH: Coital rhythm.

WM: OK.

>> No.20805751

Can also read JG Ballard. His short stories still have a lot of speculative fiction appeal and are easily accessible, they often have a hidden gimmick thing which is a fun punchline. Some stories I remember are one where all clocks have been destroyed (there is a good explanation for it), a story that tries to kill the reader, a story written from the perspective of a telescoping camera shot etc. The best JG Ballard stories all appear to explore technique and perspective, he is a master of defamiliarisation and detournement techniques which often is lost in a lot of sci-fi amidst all the laser railgun robot nanomachine spaceships. Even Asimov has a little of this technique perhaps from his detective fiction (best example: the Mule story, and the twist that is revealed etc). It seems like science fiction short stories are where it is best put to use, where you get the surprise shock revelation punchline, the anagnorisis of old greek drama etc. but in a sci fi or speculative fiction setting

>> No.20805914

>>20805555
No, I mean find self-pubbed authors that are writing what you want to read and need to build an audience

>but self-pub shit has typos!
because affording an editor better than grammarly costs like $1000
>but self-pub shit is unrefined!
They'll become refined if they're allowed to have a career and develop their skills while making money

>> No.20805990

>>20805914
Any recommendations?

>> No.20806004

>>20805990
There's the /wg/ list of anons
>>20801951

>> No.20806010

>>20795516
>>20796724
>>20797581
>>20798122
>>20798672
>>20798805
>>20798861
>>20800781
>>20801148
>>20801408
>>20802461
>>20802474
>>20805702
>>20805751
>unironically reading genre fiction
manchild moment

>> No.20806078

>>20805678
>caliban
Oh boy. Very original. I have heard that one before, but dont worry, need thou not be afraid, for we can turn a hum-drum forgettable name like caliban into something magical:
Calibanus
And its that easy.

>> No.20806079

I hope to write more scifi later anon but I'm trying to be that change I hope to see. Only got one short story so far, but I'm trying out contemporary realism and then historical fiction after. Wokeism is all but absent in what I write. It barely even deserves recognition even presently and the main way I hang a flag on it is that's wrong to expect the way we see the world today will be the way it's seen 100+ years from now.

>> No.20806217

>>20806078
well that is because the Tad Williams novel is about the Tempest written from the perspective of Caliban. Incidentally the Tempest is also about regime change, the Stefano Trinculo Caliban subplot; the regime change and overthrow of Prospero fails because the drunkards decide to plunder Miranda's female underwear instead.

CALIBAN: [Sings drunkenly]
Farewell master; farewell, farewell!

TRINCULO: A howling monster: a drunken monster!

CALIBAN: No more dams I'll make for fish
Nor fetch in firing
At requiring;
Nor scrape trencher, nor wash dish
'Ban, 'Ban, Cacaliban
Has a new master: get a new man.

Freedom, hey-day! hey-day, freedom! freedom,
hey-day, freedom!

STEPHANO: O brave monster! Lead the way.

>> No.20806220

>>20806010
what is a genre

>> No.20806284

>>20795516
>It's becoming impossible to find new science fiction literature that isn't unbelievably pozzed.
>Guys like Stephen Baxter, Alastair Reynolds, and Paul Macauley are still writing
>Stephen Baxter, Alastair Reynolds, and Paul Macauley
Retard zoomer fuckfaggot Baxter, Reynolds and Macauey ARE the pozzed sci-fi

>> No.20806302

>>20806284
Compared to stuff from the 80s… maybe. That’s debatable.
Compared to the stuff in >>20804233 — the stuff that wins awards these days — no way. Are you retarded?

>> No.20806348

>>20804233
>M.R. Kowal
The episode of Writing Excuses where Rothfuss is on is so fucking hilarious because he wants him to apologize for misogyny multiple times and he just says no and laughs at her every time. I really like some of the writing insight Mary has but she can be a real bitch so it was awesome to see Pat put her in her place.

>> No.20806357

>>20795516
Science Fiction is liberal by nature. It's the ultimate utopian fantasy of progressives. What else did you expect?

>> No.20806409

>>20806357
You're small sighted and probably smooth in the brain.

Go read Canticle for Leibowitz

>> No.20806531

>>20806357
I think that science fiction is implicitly right wing. At its best, it is about man triumphing over his environment in the most real and most visceral possible sense, without pretense. It is the fiction of resourcefulness and of what separates man from beast. It is about the unfathomable depths of time and space, and indeed about the futility of trying to create false utopias. (Even utopias that were explicitly written to be as near perfectly utopian as possible -- like Banks' The Culture -- are somewhat sinister in their treatment of the human condition.)
It is true that there's an anti-authoritarian bent in SF, but this seems to reflect a deeper truth: In infinite time, in infinite space, all authoritarian structures and all empires are unstable. Drama ensues when they collapse, which is the point of so many plots.

>> No.20806588

>>20802474
>just abandon your culture and native tongue bro
fleeing is for cowards

>> No.20806686

Sci Fi and Fantasy novels are undergoing a mass expansion into the mainstream, guided by a very small group of highly politicized publishers, and reaching for new and broader audiences. This phenomenon is not unique to the medium. From video games to D&D--fantasy TV shows to comic books. The realms of creative and fantastic escapism are a hot commodity. The traditional sci fi and fantasy fans are already there, the consumer pool is fixed, so how do publishers make more money? They create new fans and new markets, targeting LGBT, women, and minorities.

Due to this opportunity to grow their market, current publishers are almost entirely focused on bringing female, minority and LGBT authors up into the spotlight. Due to this current environment, almost everything coming out in sci-fi and fantasy is tinged with themes that relate to women and minorities. Though, I have found things like the Murderbot Diaries to be thoroughly entertaining despite the female author.

If you look at recent break out hits by white male authors, almost all of them are self published and rose to prominence through sheer quality. Ultimately, this current hyper fixation on "balancing out a male dominated field" will be short lived, as the end capitalistic drive to maximize profits will always overcome any forced political stratagems that prioritize identity and politics over quality.

The real question I have is what sort of sci-fi will our current culture create? It all seems so dystopian, hopeless, and dark--picturing the horrible trajectories that lay before us. The hopeful spirit of adventure and the unknown from the 1960's has been replaced with horror stories of social collapse, apocalypse, authoritarian rule and the corruption of humanity from technology.

>> No.20806797

>>20806686
>what sort of sci-fi will our current culture create
>realms of creative and fantastic escapism

Back before meta share price did what it has done, and fb realised they had renamed their company the Hebrew word for death, some of the metaverse people liked to talk about how in the future, society would be like this:
1/ the poor, sorry you get deprivation and dystopia

2/ the masses, you get metaverse! Videogames, virtual worlds! Endless infinite dlc bikini clothes and outfits. Online reality is richer than offline for you

3/ the rich, you get embodied, integrated reality, because you can afford it and shun technology

The Reality Privilege idea is that as your income diminishes and you become unable to afford tangible real world belongings and possessions, only the virtual goods that can be infinitely supplied, the rich will adopt the scarce real tangible things as a form of countersignalling and conspicuous consumption.

So maybe even as today the poor play videogames and the rich go skiing, the poor take online education tests the rich get in-person private tutors etc. Rich people get a painting, anons get a jpeg.

I was sceptical of this idea because 1/ it came from a16z who underperform spx lol but 2/ it also struck me as originating from someone who still sees a distinction between meatspace and cyberspace like 1980s neuromancer. By total addressable market the weight of all creativity and invention will reside with the virtual world masses, and any elite contrived scarcity of countersignalling goods diminishes into cultural irrelevance? jpegs are better than paintings?

Unless - the algorithms and schema of the controlled surveillance virtual worlds limit what can be done in them... You only get the jpegs that are permitted. AI yields automated imagination. Maybe you know this feeling already if you have experimented with CLIP and DALL-E 2 image generation ML or zero-shot bidirectional transformer models. Games of the kill orc get treasure variety though probably will not threaten anyone.

>> No.20806855

>>20806797
I think this is a great prediction. My day job is raising capital for commercial real estate development, so I spend a lot of time with rich people. Actual rich people are a different breed. Not just the quasi-rich that we see flaunting Lambos and Gucci products. Real wealth embodies the appreciation of experience, quality, and time.

Real wealthy people vacation in private homes in beautiful parts of the world, sharing home cooked meals with their family, exploring nature. They would rather buy shoes from an Italian cobbler who is a master, than some luxury retailer. Authenticity is more valuable than brand or prestige to the ultra wealthy. They are intelligent with their exposure to technology and distractions. Few play video games, they have minimal online presence, and increasingly they are adopting a more luddite mentality. To them, money is freedom, and that freedom is used to enjoy our world and human relationships.

Meanwhile, technology is the new opioid of the masses. We have an employment crisis in the US, as the digital comforts have overwhelmed all motivation to struggle and work. Why go out and risk it all socializing and hunting down a girlfriend when you can watch porn? Why work my way up the corporate ladder or labor all day when I can eat and live off government benefits or live with parents? Why practice a skill or hobby for fulfillment, or travel the world, when I can get all of that from video games? Why strive for a better life when I can smoke weed from my vape pen every hour for dopamine and joy. We have made life so comfortable that the motivation for growth and struggle has been removed... it is a crisis that we have yet to fully appreciate and will force either the collapse of civilization or a major shift in how our economy functions.

>> No.20806871

>>20795516
>never read anything that was written by a woman, dead serious
Based.
>I don't want to be lectured about current-year politics.
Scifi is almost always an indictment of the modern world and more often can be seen in that light anyway. There's not really any way around that.

>> No.20806881

Pay me and I'll write one, don't complain unless you want to find such a project.

>> No.20806906
File: 247 KB, 1080x1855, 20220808_180142.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Science fiction and futurism embodies a certain technological determinism. The 80s neuromancer cyberpunk and also Ridley Scott spaceship stuff is cool but it increasingly resembles a retrofuture, the future of the past, just like Robinson Crusoe once felt like advanced futuristic speculative fiction.

The really interesting idea is to expand the definition of technology. For example, finance is a technology. If you think the path of society is determined by scientific progress... guess who funds those research grants? If you change the financial technology, what emerges? Railguns, replicants and Ridley Scott spaceships? Or weird manipulation of human terrain sixth domain cognitive warfare etc. (search if you do not know what this means)

Why human terrain? The OP wishes lamentfully for cultural insularity. What is occuring is the weight of world gdp is shifting away from the dominance of the west (let us measure this, say by G7 countries). In 1992 the G7 gdp share was about 70 percent, it is 45 percent today and projected to continue along a steady decline.
https://www.cfr.org/backgrounder/where-g7-headed
The implication is that the weight of world voice / world culture will be eroded in the West - these are the conditions that undermined the serene period of Washington Consensus economic framework growth which underpinned the world view of halcyon 80s, 90s, 2000s sci-fi. That science fiction is cool and will still exist, you can go back to it for nostalgia. But it will become a science fiction of the past.

>> No.20806958

>>20806855
What you said on technology reminds me of American Pyscho (1991). In that, Bateman has to work and consume retail culture and broadcast his love for it as if he was a commercial. Yet he doesnt want it. All he really wants is to be seated at Dorsia but he can't do that unless he quits working to become an elite, trustfund socialite but if he stops fitting in he wont be able to stop his psychosis. So from a scifi perspective it is like someone in the lower class, relatively speaking, who is stuck with technology because they are mentally incapable of existing without it.
One thing I've tried to hammer in my own writing is the adoption of Augmented Reality (AR). I think VR has this odd aluring quality right now and no one appreciates how huge AR as an integrated tech can be on our lives to keep us functioning. VR is there to make someones world seem larger if they are a neo-serf that cannot travel but AR cannot do that, yet it reinforces the world that is actually here with new context.

>> No.20806989

>>20806855
>>20806906
>>20806958
>raising capital for commercial real estate development

So I have some experience with HNWIs, a bit similar to you anon. A few years back a big hyped idea was that of digital twins IoT and the future AI city. There is a concept called 6D BIM, building information management. The idea is that now we have the computing capacity to fully create virtual models of buildings, and potentially also embed sensors into them so that your 3d unreal engine rendered virtual showcase apartments can update with realtime building data etc. This is the digital twin concept, it is already used in a lot of industrial applications like aircraft engines etc. Then Mohammed bin Salman watched Bladerunner 2049 and decided to build his cyberfuture NEOM desert city for real lol, maybe you already played that level in some old Call of Duty lol.

The idea of the metaverse hype is embodied internet. If you think about VR / AR etc, I know from attending too many venture capital conferences, VR and metaverse is often called The Last Technology. Basically if you have convincing embodied VR, you do not need any other technology, any spaceships or AGI or replicants (you just simulate whatever you want in the VR metaverse world)

Of course, all this looks good when we are in the liquidity abundant postscarcity fake world.

We are now in the rising interest rates scarcity constrained real world. I wonder if this changes the tone of sci-fi... as mentioned already,
>>20805652
In the Gibson Peripheral Agency novels despite getting Russia and Jackpot / collapse right, I do not think that frictionless abundant transactional vision of the future is the one we are heading towards.

>> No.20807027

>>20806989
Right, I had implied we are going to, tentatively, a neo-manorial society with a false scarcity. Why? Well I guess because it's possible. Whether that is acheivable or can even last a lifetime I doubt. And I think the big push to VR is insincere in that way.

>> No.20807036

>>20806010
>gets intellectually wreaked in every thread
>lashes out at a boogeyman
>Doesn't even know what genre fiction is
Why are fat females like this?

>> No.20807052

Some things which may happen in the future
- purchases and shopping mostly conducted by AI, though a few select decisions still allocated by humans autonomously on impulse
- police build a virtual rich multimedia model of your metadata, purchase/voice/video/query history, and interrogate that instead of you, because they think the data is more reliable and truthful
- it is not even a policeman who does it, but an algorithm
- it is done by a human policeman. But secretly, the decisionmaking still comes from the algorithm
- This is not even the future, as all this already happens. In federal investigations it is called parallel construction.
https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3319387
Abstract

Federal law enforcement agencies are increasingly relying on "parallel construction" to pursue criminal cases against U.S. persons. Parallel construction is the process of building a separate -- and parallel -- evidentiary basis for a criminal investigation. The process is undertaken to conceal the original source of evidence, which may have been obtained unlawfully. Clandestinely used for decades, this process raises serious constitutional questions.

Parallel construction allows law enforcement agencies to capitalize on sensitive or secret national security techniques in the domestic criminal context, without any form of oversight or accountability

>> No.20807066

>>20806906
> Railguns, replicants and Ridley Scott spaceships
What the fuck does this shit or teh "Washington Consensus economic framework growth" has to do with Lem, with le Guin, Clarke, with Asimov, Sheckley, Ellison? Half of those people were born before WWII and not even in the US. By your own logic, their sci-fi should've been "science fiction of the past" by 70s already.

And my ass, "serene period" my ass, if you asked Heinlein or Herbert about it, neither would describe their formative years or the periods of their creativity as "serene". Get the fuck out of here with your Spengler-esque cultural-economic paradigm shit niggadry and masturbate about living at the edge of history somewhere else.

>> No.20807117

>>20807027
>>20807027
>neo-manorial society

The manorial society is interesting to situate in history. Why did Pax Romana possess mostly unfortified open villas, whilst medieval city-states huddled behind heavily fortified castles and laid onerous taxes or cess upon those entering the gates etc. There was a period of destabilisation in Rome after the plague of St Cyprian, heavy currency debasement which led to the era of barracks emperors (they did not last long, came mostly from the military and were assassinated one after another). Plague, inflation, elite competition, leading to a collapse in border security.

Now we have missiles today, so no more siege wall circumvallation antics or poliorcetics. But the future is probably more akin to the distrusting fractured city-state / nation-state model, splinternets and competing cultures, and heavier emphasis on military defense spending, the modern equivalent of surrounding your manor with machiolated wall fortifications.

>> No.20807210

>>20807066
>Asimov
So I have only real knowledge of this author of the ones you cited, I have read all of the Foundation fairly extensively and a few of his short stories. If I recall, Asimov was very obsessed with geopolitical and socioeconomic detail - literally many of the foundation stories are about star traders or Merchant Princes and machiavellian dealings, they defeat forces mostly with geopolitical (intergalactic) economic pressure and not the laser guns etc approach of 80s 90s scifi or whatever that recent apple tv series was depicting lol.

I believe Asimov read extensively about the decline of the Roman Empire and modelled his stories directly on it, he refers to patricians and there is one story that is basically space Belisarius the general who is executed despite achieving victory in battle etc. Finally if you look at those famous predictions made by Asimov in 1964 many of them are demographic and based on macroeconomics. Essentially Asimov would have studied the 1960s version of the charts I linked here
>>20806906
The most famous creation by Asimov of Psychohistory, essential a macro extrapolation of human destiny, is sort of fantasy econometrics that actually works lol.

Interestingly something I read about Asimov - a lot of his world experiences were formed by central planning in the second world war (think of how a lot of the foundation heroes feel and behave like university academics with very generous research grants and funding, this is literally the narrative of Foundation's Edge). The irony of Asimov is that his work became incredibly popular despite his world view - war time central planning - becoming technologically backward and outdated. In the 60s they already are getting chaos theory, science is understanding you cannot calibrate society given repeated iteration upon even small perturbations around a deviation from initial parameters etc. Society is radically shifting to free market consumerism and financialisation, away from Asimov's vision. Maybe he was popular because his science fiction whilst prophetic in some ways was also a fiction of the victorious wartime past.

>> No.20807238

>>20807117
>Why did Pax Romana possess mostly unfortified open villas, whilst medieval city-states huddled behind heavily fortified castles and laid onerous taxes or cess upon those entering the gates etc.
because of "pirate" slave raiding along all the coasts of Europe from the 7th century AD onwards

>> No.20807240

>>20806989
The dream of VR and AR always seems to be greater than the real world functionality.

Much like cryptocurrencies, which promise so much optimization to financial technology, but have faced the stark reality of big finance... that our society is so dominated by giant, bureaucratic entities, entrenched in 100 year old legal frameworks that are too slow, old, and cemented to adapt. So even if a faster, better, fairer way to conduct business were to come up (crypto), no one will use it because the monopolies in control of almost all economic activity aren't just going to give up their system of control.

All social change must be catalyzed by desperate need, discomfort, or struggle. The space race that took us to the moon was led by a desperate ideological war with Russia that had the energy of the people behind it. Now we are fractured, comfortable and careless. Humanity cannot agree on anything, we barely have our own philosophies that aren't just talking points from major political parties.

So ultimately I don't see any grand changes to our way of life coming until some real pain, fear or struggle breaks us out of our comfortable loops.

>> No.20807299

>>20807052
So when you look at this and project it out, you begin to understand the possible trajectories of the future. The weapon of today is the drone, not space marines with pulse rifles and smart guns fighting aliens. The targeting cycle of the drone, the observe-orient-decide-act OODA variant, was F3EA find-fix-finish-exploit-analyse. Those VC startups
>>20805652
doing the digital things lol like to adapt acronyms like AARRR acquire-activate-retain-refer-revenue etc.

Interestingly that insurgent targeting cycle can also translate into targeting of consumer preferences, programmatic advertising, using curiously enough a similar set of geolocation and profiling data based upon smartphones or other surveillance behavioural patterns etc. Maybe the payload is not an explosive but some behavioural shaping instead, whether it is shopping basket clickthrough or other things, human terrain cognitive warfare things...

William Gibson in the Peripheral and Agency novels seems to get this, Agency opens with what can best be described as an avant garde diplomatic performance art drone strike lol. I wonder if this was his joke vision of how that famous phrase "forward deployed diplomacy" manifests itself in our future.

>> No.20807354

>>20805732
Herbert was a notorious mushroomhead and Those people will rework anything and everything to suit whatever depraved introversions they have "evolved" to obsess about. He turns Dune into a clouded mishmash of contradictory 2esoteric4u contradictions by God Emperor, and takes a hard turn into sex-thralls in Heretics

>> No.20807371

>>20806531
>right wing ideals = whatever is good

>> No.20807381

>>20807371
This unironically.

>> No.20807403
File: 5 KB, 233x217, images.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20807371
Now you're getting it
>"right" and "left" are bourgeois abstractions
>there is only the Good
>there is only one Good
>it is the nature of Being itself
>societies can be evaluated in terms of how they approximate to the Good
>healthy Tradition = healthy matrix of centripetal forces tending toward the Good
>abstractions only have value if they centripetally tend back toward the Good
>a man who understands the Good even slightly, even just enough to orient himself toward it unconsciously, is better than a thousand men with heads full of abstractions and theories

>> No.20807405

>>20806686
>the end capitalistic drive to maximize profits will always overcome any forced political stratagems that prioritize identity and politics over quality.
ESG says otherwise.

>> No.20807430

>>20807403
QRD on that God oops i mean Good?

>> No.20807519

>>20807299
You can tell a lot about a society by looking at its weapons. Maybe /k is onto something lol, but also for 1 million years protohumans used the Acheulean axe
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hand_axe
>characteristic of the lower Acheulean and middle Palaeolithic (Mousterian) periods, roughly 1.6 million years ago to about 100,000 years ago, and used by homo erectus and other early humans, but rarely homo sapiens.

Lithic reduction, percussive conchoidal fracture around a hammer stone. Archaeologists and anthropologists literally infer clues from incredibly abstract phenomena, like whether protohumans have segregated living spaces, or sort animals bones from the dead (these are signs of intelligence, cultural sophistication behavioural modernity)

Similarly, I think science fiction or speculative fiction should adopt this detached approach. Imagine yourself as the archaeologist of the future, looking back at the rituals of today. Ritual, what you are looking for is not laser guns or spaceships just like the rocks and stones of the Acheulean axes of protohumans etc. you are trying to infer the rituals around the tools and the tech and reconstruct the narrative from that.

If you just write a story with some robots or lasers or spaceships, that actually is not really science fiction, maybe it is some sort of action thriller, and you could easily transpose the genre apparatus for a car chase or something mundane etc. Like I described above with the F3EA drone targeting loop that can also become programmatic consumer targeting or other things, you want to extrapolate the civilisation from these rituals and speculate as to where they will lead.

>> No.20807527

>>20807519
tldr; it is literally the opening film scenes of Kubrick 2001: A Space Odyssey

>> No.20807589

>>20807354
First Huxley now Herbert
Why does everyone I pick up have to be some kind of hippie, is something wrong with me?
K. Dick also

>> No.20807599

>>20805732
Exactly, thus my point on how it wasn't really sci-fi in the fullest. I think it's just a compelling narrative for it to be in the future, but that's it.

>> No.20807625
File: 367 KB, 600x828, 251785 - Lain_Iwakura Serial_Experiments_Lain.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20801094
>One of the things the human race desperately needs is optimistic science fiction for a heroic age.

That's exactly what I'm thinking, but it'll never happen. Hell, even I tried scribbling something like that but it's pretty bleak. I think people can't even imagine some kind of Promethean future on a collective level and thus all such ideas are thwarted, if they are allowed to exist in the first place. In other words, if we had people anticipating a marvelous future with extraterrestrial mining, offworld habitation and interstellar travel we'd have at least some novels of it, but what we get instead is Jeff Bezos and Yi Long Ma doing what effectively is a PR stunt.

>> No.20807642

>>20806004
I read Faceless and Emily Project off that list. I'd recommend Faceless, EP is worth a read if you like the premise, but it's pretty flawed. (No hate to the author, it was his first attempt after all)

>> No.20807652

>>20807625
I think it used to be fun to dream about what technology could do for our modern lives. More comfort, more convenience, more virtual experiences, 24/7 connectedness, and vast amounts of shared knowledge.

But now we're living it. We are seeing the dark side. Despite all this connectedness, we are the loneliest humans of all time. We are kept comfortable enough to not fight back, but more miserable than ever. First world humanity is drugged up, distracted, disconnected, complacent, fat, weak, ignorant and unhealthy. And technology is to thank for all of it.

So of course our visions of the future are tinged in fear and horror. Technology is supposed to be tool used to make us better, greater, and explore further into the unknown. Instead it has been used as a way to tame our spirits and hide in base comforts.

Yet, I believe a great movement is starting. A return to our humanity, to community, to reality. Breaking away from the screens and distractions. Perhaps we can redirect our path to somewhere healthier and more connected to the natural world and our social human natures.

>> No.20807661
File: 563 KB, 712x1000, 668c913f710762fe5e8ca037085b4ac2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20807519
The military has been always on the cutting edge of technology. Whatever it is, if you're a scientist or an engineer, the highest bidder is always in the military. Today it's computing, aerospace, communication, even something as menial and benign as nutrition. But since long ago has technology been tight knit with the military: bronze age metallurgy and swordfighting, medieval chemistry and gunpowder production, Archimedes and warships. Whatever flair a people might develop, you can bet on it appearing on their weapons.
I speak this as someone in defense btw

>> No.20807671

>>20807652
I almost had a stroke when I watched a video about Google having a new, advanced image searching capability. What do you think he showcased in the presentation? How to consume product.

He literally showed how now you can photograph some mug or curtain and get an Amazon or AliExpress listing for that thing. CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT?

I found out it's pretty nifty for other things such as identifying plant species, but this was a niche YouTube channel about nifty things in general, but the pajeet at google wanted to give me a new way to CONSOOM

>> No.20807708
File: 61 KB, 570x712, spengler.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20807652
Also, read The Decline of the West.

>> No.20807720

>>20807661
> Whatever it is, if you're a scientist or an engineer, the highest bidder is always in the military.
This hasn't been true in decades, and the military today is a jobs program for idiots.
Look at how soldiers are equipped. You could make a solid argument that they were better and more sensibly equipped 50 years ago. The M16A1 is in many respects better than the M5 abomination that was selected by the NGSW program. Ceramic body armor hasn't advanced at all; the plates of the late 1960s were in some cases MORE advanced than the plates that are issued today. The IHPS helmet is one of the best examples of retardation and grift in the military. I could go on all day. 50 years of progress has resulted in better boots and optics, but that is all.
What we're seeing, if anything, is a conspicuous lack of progress in the US military.

>> No.20807754

>>20807661
>>20807720
>>20807661
Interesting - do you work for one of the defense primes ie LMT RTN BA GD etc? Or the subcontractors, like BAH or PLTR etc. One of the future scenarios I am very interested by is how there is now so much privatisation of what was once purely government procurement and defense capability, lol China copied the civil military fusion from the US. The transfer and diffusion of that tech but more importantly the tech processes into civilian areas makes for really good sci-fi, as already mentioned every author from Clarke to Asimov to Gibson has written around that theme.

There is a famous short story called Superiority by Arthur C Clarke, mayne you already know of it.

Here is just a random link I found to it
http://www.mayofamily.com/RLM/txt_Clarke_Superiority.html
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superiority_(short_story)
It basically tells a strange fable about how a technologically advanced galactic power is defeated by its own Superior weaponry, literally the procurement and sustainment of its space fleet. It seems like a very apt economic parable for events today.

>> No.20807774

>>20807671
There are aps to detect gender too.

>> No.20807782

>>20807720
I know a captain in the Army and he says he's not allowed to yell at his trainees on runs for being slow or quitting, it's considered abuse to tell them to get their ass up and keep going. We've totally neutered our Army. Filled it with trannies and political leeches feeding off the government.

Future wars will be fought with drones, missiles, cyber warfare and media propaganda anyway. We have no enemy, no cause, and without unity and a common enemy you will never find the human capital or energy to really make a robust military force.

>> No.20807783

>>20807661
The military has future stuff from darpa to in-q-tel, but the procurement cycle is slow. I read some slides by disruptive vc backed tech trying to change this and of course there is also ex googl triumvirate Eric Schmidt trying to manoeuvre things. The biggest military budget items are spent on strategic deterrence, the idea is game-theoretic contingent threat doctrine from Thomas Schelling, it is perhaps best if that stuff is never used. This budget thinking is actually rational (why heap billions on something that is never used, when you could spend tens of millions and get better rifles body armour etc for warfighters? Because the heap of billions deters costly conflict, a better rifle or better body armour does not achieve deterrence etc)

>> No.20807787

>>20807210
>So I have only real knowledge of this author of the ones you cited
So, you basically read no sci-fi whatsoever?

>I believe Asimov read extensively about the decline of the Roman Empire and modelled his stories directly on it
Nah, he was simply a crypto-Communist and wrote Foundation as Historical Materialism for Kids.

>Society is radically shifting to free market consumerism and financialisation, away from Asimov's vision.
Corporate power = central planning though.

>>20807708
Holy shit I guessed right.

>> No.20807810
File: 101 KB, 1080x684, 20220808_205704.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20807240
>our society is so dominated by giant, bureaucratic entities

So here is some of my thoughts on that from the investor futurist perspective. Maybe the average genre reader thinks of cyberpunk megacorporations, Weyland Yutani like from the zaibatsu like era of the 1980s and the Plaza Accord lol. What happened today with the FAANG or whatever that acronym now is for aapl msft googl meta amzn etc is actually something slightly different. Perhaps googl exemplifies it best but they did a strategy I like to call oasis of profitability, desert of the free, sometimes tech futurist people also call it commodification of complements.

Basically technology is a deflationary industry, in contrast to say discretionary retail (mark-up pricing) or say commodities, they are obviously inflationary. If you think about how technology is introduced generally they begin with a cheap product sometimes it is free, and they land and expand and take market share etc, so it is a deflationary model. (This is why crypto and defi etc contrived scarcity struggles, they are fighting the deflationary business model)

Now the oasis and desert thing is to have a core profitability thing that you defend, for googl it is search. You then make everything around it free, scorched earth. It is like a moat of unprofitability that no-one can approach etc. Every complement to your product is commoditised and made free or heavily subsidised (eg cloud compute, think hyperscale multitenancy cloud), so that no competitor can really even approach your core (think the desert around the oasis). This strategy is incredibly powerful and has led to the endurance of the googl etc.

Abundant liquidity led to startups emulating this free hypergrowth land and expand model. This is unprecedented in history, never has a confluence of events arisen to enable it. The chart shows what is underpinning the future hype today, a 6x US VC capital surge from historic stable USD50b in 2011 to 300b in 2021.

Now the question is: what happens to all this future hype, all the AI DALL-E GPT ML VR metaverse web3 DAO flying cars community based ebitda lol when the money goes away?

>> No.20807816

>>20807754
Not him but I used to work at Palantir on defense stuff. Our products were kind of cool and capable but the problem was that there isn't serious money being spent on that kind of software. The vast majority of the defense budget is sucked up by dogshit primes optimized for federal grift and producing outcomes like >>20807720

>> No.20807819

>>20807720
Could you even name something that pays more and is more advanced?

The lowest bidder for the infantry is a thing, btw. The US has enough money to field a few platoons of terminators but why would they? Small arms development is a dead end job, I wanted to get into it but I'd be sitting in a factory overlooking some wagies making AR blocks. The NGSW is quite an improvement in terms of ballistics, weight and logistics but at the same time a compromise because the military-industrial complex doesn't want to invest in future meth heads too much.

You're completely ignoring the giant leaps in nightvision, thermal optics, satellite recon, ELINT, stealth aircraft and low Earth orbit. Do you even know that the US Military can scan your entire house with a drone from the outside?

I'm not even going to try to explain anything to someone who doesn't realize that the biggest contractors are aerospace and that the military 'might' want to invest more into an F22 or F35 than a college dropout chud guarding a septic tank in Korea.

>> No.20807824

>>20807783
You're a little bit out of the loop, I think. DARPA now does most of its work in basic research that isn't usually commercialized and rarely (read: just about never) results in anything that's issued to troops. In-Q-Tel mostly invests in telecoms infrastructure companies -- not in companies building the next generation of hypersonic missiles or other weapons.
The US military is way behind where it should be -- and ought to be. Mostly because the procurement cycle is fucked.

>> No.20807836

>>20807819
>Could you even name something that pays more and is more advanced?
Check out starting salaries for software engineers at Google and Amazon. You'll literally make 3x as much as you would at Locksneed, and 5x as much as you would make in the military.
> giant leaps in nightvision, thermal optics, satellite recon, ELINT, stealth aircraft and low Earth orbit.
Holy shit, you must be trolling. Most of that shit dates back to the 1960s or 70s -- certainly the "giant leaps" came no later than 1980 -- and you must know this.

>> No.20807843

>>20807824
>In-Q-Tel mostly invests in telecoms infrastructure companies
you just destroyed your credibility

>> No.20807857

>>20807843
Here you go, bro: https://www.iqt.org/portfolio/

>> No.20807871

>>20807810
The VC business model was based around constant growth and defines a high risk investing attitude that does not exist in recessionary market conditions which we are now entering. It is interesting to see the honey trap approach to tech collapse as the free and cheap conveniences these apps offered are shut off once they have devoured 70% of market share and driven all their competitors bankrupt.
>Uber changes the world with cheap cabs that you can track on your phone... 10 years later they are more expensive than normal taxis, but have almost 0 competition.
>Door Dash and GrubHub shift calling restaurants to order food to our phones, but now have $6 deliver fees, $4 app fees and pre delivery tipping, costing 30% more than just calling the restaurant.

You are right that the liquidity is drying up. Cheap debt is coming to an end and the entire model will shift. My optimistic view is that tougher economic times will move us back towards product quality focus. Less manufactured obsolescence, less junk products to use and throw away, more competition to create lasting high quality items for a more prudent and frugal consumer base. Meanwhile, greater job competition will drive service quality higher and increase American value of education and training. Life has been a joke for 20 years with money flowing without any care or caution, hopefully the coming recession can help us reset back to a more meritocracy based allocation of capital and spending.

>> No.20807879

>>20807642
Good to see that some anon lit is worth reccomending

>> No.20807880

>>20807720
A long time ago I met the CEO of FLIR and briefly discussed the IVAS. I also tried the early iteration of MSFT Hololens lol, this was when Satya Nadella had just been appointed and came to London to meet investors. It seems it sort of worked
https://news.microsoft.com/transform/u-s-army-to-use-hololens-technology-in-high-tech-headsets-for-soldiers/
Jun 8, 2021

I do not have any military background, just investing. No idea if this is the future, or horribly overengineered and impractical (I get the feeling... warfighters want to carry less stuff)

Oh but then again:
https://taskandpurpose.com/news/army-ivas-fielding-delay-2022/
Published Oct 14, 2021 2:59 PM

>> No.20807883

>>20807857
You think linking their portfolio backs up your earlier statement? The vast majority of these companies are not telco infrastructure, and that has never been their focus.
Look at their exits: https://www.crunchbase.com/organization/in-q-tel/recent_investments

>> No.20807901
File: 138 KB, 963x561, IQT.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20807883
Close enough.
> Database management
> Pure grift
> Cloud service
> Pure grift
> 3D printing company
> Cloud service
> Supply chain management firm
> Pure grift
Muh military technology, lol. This shit is mundane and uninspiring, to say the least.

>> No.20807913

>>20807901
Surprise, successful VC exits are disproportionately pure software companies. Most hardtech startups fail as they can't get funding or traction to make it through the valley of death. Doesn't mean IQT doesn't invest in them all the same
t. worked at a [now dead] hardtech startup on an IQT project

>> No.20807918

>>20807754
I'm not in it for the US actually, but part of my job is, of course, to follow whatever the top players are developing and today it's almost exclusively the US, whereas countries like China or Russia are diminutive. I'm an ME but what I do is missiles specifically because that's where most of the development is. That and drones, though I don't dabble as much, however you can imagine how they're connected. Missiles require an incredible amount of processing power, sensors, communications etc and the same can be said about drones. Technically not it but the opposite, however look up CIWS and C-RAM

In regards to Superiority by Clarke, I hardly believe that could be the case. A similar thing happened to me in Stellaris actually, but it's not happening to the MoD of the US. It kind of happened with the Soviets in Afghanistan where they had the military know-how to turn away half of the countryfolk into cities, where they're namely easier to control but that collapsed on itself. The Soviets had toys short of a miracle; the Hind as a passenger gunship, every squad having an armored vehicle, even the paratroopers, polymer magazines etc
But what got them is the people with bolt action rifles, a few stingers, bazookas, captured RPGs and the such who were willing to exploit the deep-rooted logistics of the Soviets. That's why the US never really wanted to liberate Afghanistan, only ever dwelling there. But then again, Stingers were state-of-the-art launchers but still...

In any case, in this war it's not the ogres that are winning, if you get what I mean

>> No.20807957

>>20807836
I can't believe you used Google and Amazon as an example. Writing some bs code in Python or optimizing data mining isn't a "technology" but a useful trick for the industry. Whatever some Khan Academy script kiddie can write is what someone like the CIA or NSA uses en masse. Remember that Snowden was about mass gov surveillance, not Zucc advertising korean baskets to you, that came later

>You'll literally make 3x as much as you would at Locksneed, and 5x as much as you would make in the military.

Where did I say anything about salaries you hebrew? I was talking about investments. In fact, I mentioned a few times that the lowest bidder is important for the military, as well as the cutting edge, so that adds up quite well.

>Most of that shit dates back to the 1960s or 70s

And when did we get gyroscopes in mobile phones? When did we get commercial drones? Then or some 40 years later?

Anon is probably a computer science major salty that he didn't get into something less depressing

>> No.20807979

>>20807901
>Q-Tel-Anon on his way to make Skynet

>> No.20807982

I wonder if msft Copilot is something that science fiction authors and futurist authors should be thinking about, code that writes assisted code. Or low code no code type programming automation that is going to fill all that vast compute power of hyperscale cloud.

Going back to that anthropological thing it is the ritual that matters not the tech, if a tech shifts or democratises power, places a capability into a different set of hands, that makes for interesting speculative fiction.

The web3 type decentralised compute resource thing to create elastic supply of compute, that then becomes elastic provision of real world goods... this is actually a really futuristic concept (maybe crypto not the way to do it though lol). If you think about our modern society and production frontier, so much of it is based on inelastic supply and rigidity, you have all these latent desires that are unfulfillable because there is no economically viable infrastructure to supply them. Maybe elastic supply models (of course, these require some background crowdfunding or whatever trust architecture) is a production technology of the future?

Other rejected future tech stuff which I never see mentioned as much

- picoprojectors, or really miniaturised ones. maybe it is just battery, maybe people want foldable oled instead as that has addressable smartphone markets to scale into. Look, I just want holograms
- parasitic energy stuff (forgot the exact hype tech term, but ultra low battery powered by human movement) low power computing / often combined with some quantified self sensor thing. There was that googl project jacquard? embedding stuff into clothes
- precision medicine, targeted to each individual. The ILMN etc gigabase pair sequencing companies still all believe in this, along with the EHR companies like VEEV etc? But there was just pandemic R&D and no clinical application?

- Solace-as-a-Service some of the trendhunters write about this, maybe it is the flip side to all that sixth domain cognitive warfare weaponised propaganda meme spam. But then there are already free asmr youtube videos lol. Aldous Huxley feelies films from Brave New World basically predicted ASMR

>> No.20808027

>>20807918
I know some primitive stuff about missiles, from the TERPROM days, presumably the tech has advanced a lot lol.

Is there any technology change on the horizon? The headlines are all about loitering munitions and R9X knife missiles (interestingly, very reminiscent of the knife missiles described by the culture novels in Iain M Banks). But presumably as the force posture changes from asymmetric warfare to nation state or near peer strategic competition or whatever they call it now there will be some new innovation? Or does the existing arsenal already meet the mission?

>> No.20808035

>>20795516
same thing with new fantasy. Publisher's dont want to publish a straight white male's book.

>> No.20808100

>>20807901
Do In-Q-Tel disclose all their portfolio though, like project Keyhole / Googl Earth military origins. Sometimes they fund something that is civilian but is repurposed for something else, or vice versa, or even developed in parallel. I was once told that ISRG began as experimental military battlefield telesurgery before they decided to use robots to harvest wombs instead (hysterectomy lol). Similarly, not all investors know that the airline booking systems like Amadeus travelport etc the US competitor Sabre originally came from US cold war air defense (the clue is sort of in the name, Sabre).
https://www.ibm.com/ibm/history/ibm100/us/en/icons/sabre/breakthroughs/

>> No.20808119

>>20808027
Banks' knife missiles were very small autonomous drones. Angular, dagger-shaped, AI-driven, extremely intelligent, superhuman in capabilities and reaction time. (That they would be defeated by a "human" is almost unheard of.)
The military's knife missiles are dumb munitions that lack explosives to minimize collateral damage.
These things are not the same.
The only thing they have in common is the name.

>> No.20808147

>>20808100
Who knows?
If it's secret, it's secret.
What we can see, all around us, is that the US infantryman is hardly better off than he was in 1972. To a fair approximation, he's using the same rifle; his body armor is inferior to the state of the art in 1972; his helmet is literally a disaster that was pushed through to make contractors wealthy.
(e.g.: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoZBTSB49Pc )
The Army's current main battle tank was introduced in 1980.
Tube artillery has hardly changed since 1970, as the Russians have just re-discovered.
What we're seeing is a largely stagnant military, In-Q-Tel investments in 3D-printing and cloud infrastructure companies notwithstanding.

>> No.20808154

>>20808027
There isn't any new tech on the horizon per se, but improvements are going on existing tech, with accents on SAM speed and reaction time. So nothing Metal Gear Solid level new, it's just existing tech about to be tested. Anything new that comes to mind is about the F-22 (which is slept on for some unbeknownst reason), directed energy weapons and orbital kinds of things. Drones are being developed more and more to become the primary, not auxiliary aircraft and everything is developed around that pretty much. Look up Synthetic Aperture Radars.

You have to realize that the US Army is already overdeveloped and any more funds can't even be used for money laundering. There's a video where they blast two taliban with Miss American Pie in the background via a laser-guided anti-tank missile. So, looking what's happening with Russia's army and the fact how China can only copy tech and their soldiers are more disposable than bic pens, I'd say that it's slowing down because there isn't anything terrific going on, no competition etc.

>> No.20808175

>>20795516
I wrote a science fiction piece once, but maybe because of this current culture climate, I have accidentally wrote a lot of sex into it as well.

It's actually more of a sci-fi futuristic setting that has (re)discovered spirituality as they have "scientifically" confirmed the existence of their souls and the ability to reincarnate.

>> No.20808249

>>20808175
>sex
So the work of literature that comes to mind when I think of the actual sci-fi manifestations today of DALL-E 2, CLIP zero-shot ML bidirectional transformer image generation models and gpt-3 etc. is The Infernal Desire Machines Of Doctor Hoffman by Angela Carter. In that novel there is of course a lot of vulva etc as the reality disfiguring technosorcery(?) magic realism literature is unleashed, in contrast to the heavily sanitised images of DALL-E basically automates all imagination into various banal yet ultra high resolution pinterest album collections. This is the sexless future and probably how hypergrowth engenders its own downfall

>> No.20808306

You can find sci-fi in very strange places if you know how to interpret things. Take a look at this

SCENE 5 Pomfret Castle. The dungeon of the Castle

[Enter KING RICHARD]

KING RICHARD. I have been studying how I may compare
This prison where I live unto the world
And, for because the world is populous
And here is not a creature but myself,
I cannot do it. Yet I'll hammer it out.
My brain I'll prove the female to my soul,
My soul the father; and these two beget
A generation of still-breeding thoughts,
And these same thoughts people this little world,
In humours like the people of this world,
For no thought is contented.

>My brain I'll prove the female to my soul,
>My soul the father; and these two beget
>A generation of still-breeding thoughts,
>And these same thoughts people this little world,

If you know about GAN models, A3C asynchronous advantage actor critic ML models, they work in a sort of similar way to what is being described in these lines

>> No.20808319

>>20808249
The setting of my story is somewhat dystopic but also euphoric (depending on the character's status). So the sex parts are with bio-engineered walking talking wombs. But also normal sex with normal people because it is discovered it is the only way to refine souls.

You're thinking immediate future, I am thinking a future much further from now.

>> No.20808674

>>20795516
If you're a science fiction fan and you've been missing out on Ursula Le Guin and James Triptree Jr you're retarded.

>> No.20808699

>>20808674
Sorry, I just don't read books written by women. I know..... UGH I know... It's just that I'm not gonna read them is all. Hahahaha.

>> No.20809169

>>20807066
>Guin
>>20808674
>If you're a science fiction fan and you've been missing out on Ursula Le Guin and James Triptree Jr you're retarded.
Ursula K. Le Guin
Didn’t at least one of her books have characters who could change and determine their own sex?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Left_Hand_of_Darkness
> The novel follows the story of Genly Ai, a human native of Terra, who is sent to the planet of Gethen as an envoy of the Ekumen, a loose confederation of planets. Ai's mission is to persuade the nations of Gethen to join the Ekumen, but he is stymied by a lack of understanding of their culture. Individuals on Gethen are ambisexual, with no fixed sex; this has a strong influence on the culture of the planet, and creates a barrier of understanding for Ai.
And then there’s this;
> The racial characteristics of the people of Earthsea are for the most part "red-brown" in coloring, like Native Americans; in the South and East Reach and on Way, they are much darker brown, but with straight black hair; in Osskil, they have a more European look,[3] presumably with skin that is lighter in comparison to lands to the south of Osskil such as Gont or Havnor, and the Kargs of the northeastern islands, seen by the Hardic peoples as barbarians, resemble predominantly blond northern Europeans.
> Le Guin has criticized what she describes as the general assumption in fantasy that characters should be white and that the society should resemble the Middle Ages.
These books were written in the 1960s.
I haven’t read them yet, because I remember the mention of the “sex change” thing from someone who read the books in grade school, and I though lt it was fucking weird then, and that was a long time ago.

>> No.20809792

>>20809169
I slightly lost a bit of respect for LeGuin when I realised that her short story, The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas, (Salome?) about a perfect blissful utopian society that keeps only one child in misery and suffering, is actually just a longer more bloated retelling of a paragraph from Brothers Karamazov

>> No.20809819

It is far nore interesting to follow currently happening 'irl' phenomena, e.g. all the crypto space exploits, the wars etc.

>> No.20810086

>>20809169
>Didn’t at least one of her books have characters who could change and determine their own sex?
No. Gethenians don't troon out - they are biologically sexless for most of the time and only develop sexual characteristics for short periods, and when it happens it's 0% self-determination and identity, and 100% biological determinism. They are kinda anti-troons, in that Le Guin specifically wrote them as a society where sexuality and sexual identity straight up do not exist as social concepts for biological reasons - not in a "utopia where all those stupid prejudices were solved long ago" way the closest to that would be Hain, which is extremely heterosexual and literally a pastoral society dominated by spiritual traditions, but rather as the source of issue being surgically removed. 99,999% of the time Gethians are workaholic survivalist r9k robots incapable of giving a fuck about sexual relationships, and when they do get their sort of heat. This is not presented as some asexual robot utopia either though.

>And then there’s this
She also has Racannon's World, where most of the planet is ruled by a race of tall blond warriors (being born as one of those means that you are automatically a member of nobility) living by the principle of basedeness, while shorter and darker humans act as their servants - and this is portrayed as strange, but ultimately very positive and heroic.

This is pretty much the thing that separates Le Guin from pozzed leftie "sci-fi" - she could write a dream built deliberately around her own highly specific political convictions and then brutally tear it down in the same book The Dispossessed, and then write several books portraying drastically different political issues and opinions, and portray those in a good light. She clearly had political opinions and used them in her work, but she radically refuses to try and recruit or convince anyone of anything political in her books. Her largest political message is "well ultimately I know exactly jack shit about what is right aside from being human, and you probably know even less, dear".

>>20809792
This is correct tho.

>> No.20810124

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley is science fiction - the 1818 title is The Modern Prometheus (Ridley Scott trying to be literary kek).

It helps if you imagine Frankenstein's creation is not a corpse but actually the birth of Wollstonecraft feminist woman, a true creation of science fiction

>> No.20810457

>>20810124
> It helps if you imagine Frankenstein's creation is not a corpse but actually the birth of Wollstonecraft feminist woman, a true creation of science fiction
That makes it much more horrifying.
But what about NEW science fiction? Surely somebody out there is writing decent stuff...

>> No.20810688

>>20810457
There's sci-fi in the /wg/ author list.

Why don't you get it a try?

>> No.20811033

>>20795516
Brigador

>> No.20812493

>>20811033
Will check it out. Thank you!