[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 633 KB, 1800x2266, 6629ue2h7jo21-4241674549.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
21871367 No.21871367 [Reply] [Original]

How does one get over the FOMO of not reading every day? Today I just don't have a reading headspace and it's quite stressful because it feels like I have to read no matter what. Does anyone else feel the same way?
pic unrelated

>> No.21871373

Try Epictetus

>> No.21871382

>>21871367
Just stop caring.

>> No.21871431

Try reading a paragraph or two, if only to reinforce to yourself that you are, in fact, not in the mood for any of this shit.
At least you can then say that you tried. Sometimes that's the best you can do.
I tried, I failed, time for bed.

>> No.21871462

>>21871367
Just open it and start reading. Or read something else that has very short chapters.

>> No.21871512

I have extreme FOMO about books when I indulge in masturbation where I am thrown into a rut for weeks. I will not read anything or listen to anything and will be beating it in my free time. Brain is in decay just filled with cooming thoughts. Dreams become infected. This is how most people live. They just masturbate or have sex. Literally the only time I am happy is if I abstain and just read books and listen to music.

>> No.21871580

>>21871367
I have two problems related to this, one very similar:
>When I don't watch at least a film per day, I feel that I'm wasting my time, of course, that are days that I'm inspired and can watch 3 or 4, but in general I stick to 1 to at least get rid of the feeling that I'm not using my time the best way

And then there's the book problem:
>Lately (maybe in the past 2 or 3 years) I can only read short stories or nonfiction. This happens because when I'm reading a full (400+ pages) novel, I feel that I'm wasting my time in the sense that I could get to read better books in a shorter amount of time. Then I turn to short stories that are, well, short (1 hour is probably the longest time one takes to read) and I can get through a lot of then. And then there's the nonfiction part. When I'm reading nonfiction books I don't get the desperation that novels give me simply because my brain is wired in a way to make me think that I'm always learning something interesting, so I don't get a rush to finish it and start the next one.

>> No.21871583

>>21871367
matt 6:27
concern that does not drive you into action should be avoided

let's say you take a day off and play some vidya and suddenly a feel of guilt and responsibility comes to your mind. you should either:

1) switch back into what you SHOULD be doing
2) play vidya without giving a fuck about what you supposed to do

by not doing either of these things, you don't enjoy your life and regret comes up that you could've spent your life better

'The Power of Now' elaborates on what i've told