[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 18 KB, 362x500, 11603_existential-angst.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR] No.2191641 [Reply] [Original]

This isn't really a literature topic, but it's related to the English language and it seems this would be the best place to put this, apart from hellholes that fit into the "Random" categories of 4chan.

ITT: Occurances, quirks, traits, things, et cetera of our lives that you were surprised to find out had official names.

You know that feeling you have when you get a very slight urge to do something incredibly stupid and perhaps dangerous? Something that makes no logical sense to do? For example, you're in the passenger seat of a car with the window down, listening to your portable media player, when you have the faint urge to throw the device out the window? Yes, that is called "existential angst."

Another one that I don't know the name of but am sure there must be a name for is: When you see a word in print, and you hear it's pronunciation in conversation, but you never connect the two and go thinking it is two words when they're actually the same word. For example, when I was younger, I would see "segue," think it's pronounced "seh-gew," hear "segway," and think the two are completely seperate. It must have a name!

Feel free to question my sexual orientation if this would be better off on a different board.

>> No.2191913

Bump. Perhaps I've chosen a too-specific topic.

>> No.2191957

That's not what existential angst is.

>> No.2191969

Ressentiment.

>> No.2191981
File: 111 KB, 800x533, enterthevoid.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>You know that feeling you have when you get a very slight urge to do something incredibly stupid and perhaps dangerous

I think that's called "l'appel du vide" or "call of the void." It's used to describe the momentary urge to throw oneself from a high place or push another from a high place, etc.

>> No.2191995

I found out a few days ago that that feeling you get in your stomach when you haven't eaten anything in awhile is called "hunger."