[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 57 KB, 976x850, IMG_0956.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
22348065 No.22348065 [Reply] [Original]

What are your 10 favorite books?

>> No.22348075
File: 31 KB, 641x530, 1687454699559481.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'll rank my top 10 movies instead
The Grand Budapest Hotel
Whiplash
Pulp Fiction
Akira
Filth
The Help
Donnie Darko
Rain Man
Karate Kid
Creed

>> No.22348090

The Man Without Qualities
Zettels Traum
Crónica de la intervención
A Dance to the Music of Time
Tutunamayanlar
Los Sorias
Ígur Neblí
La tejedora de coronas
Look Homeward, Angel
Exercises in Style

>> No.22348099
File: 123 KB, 739x661, encyclopedia brown.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>22348065
1. The Brothers Karamazov by Dostoevsky
2. The Complete Works of William Shakespeare
3. Suttree by McCarthy
4. Blood Meridian by McCarthy
5. The Old Man and The Sea by Hemingway
6.The Bible by God
7.The Bhagavad Gita
8. Ulysses by Joyce
9. Moby Dick by Melville
10. The Picture of Dorian Grey by Wilde

>> No.22348118
File: 120 KB, 809x1000, 3a6.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The Holy Bible, Authorized Version
1650 Scottish metrical Psalter
The Westminster Confession, Edinburgh Edition
An Illustration of the Doctrines of the Christian Religion by Thomas Boston
Human Nature in its Fourfold State by Thomas Boston
The Marrow of Modern Divinity with notes by Thomas Boston
A View of the Covenant of Grace by Thomas Boston
The Crook in the Lot by Thomas Boston
The Art of Man-Fishing by Thomas Boston
Memoirs of Thomas Boston

>> No.22348119

>>22348065
No order:
Infinite Jest
Underworld
Libra
The Trial
Crying of Lot 49
Steppenwolf
The Stranger
Gravity’s Rainbow
Stoner
Anna Karenina

>> No.22348138
File: 194 KB, 590x392, 1689996194884015.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>22348065
1. Holy Bible
2. The Brothers Karamazov
3. Crime and Punishment
4. The Devils
5. The Death of Ivan Ilyich
6. The Forged Coupon
7. Dead Souls
8. The Master and Margarita
9. The Metamorphosis
10. American Psycho

>> No.22348164

>Henry Miller in general (especially Big Sur and the Oranges of Hieronymus Bosch, The Colossus of Maroussi, Tropic of Cancer, The Smile at the Foot of the Ladder, and some essays)
>DH Lawrence in general (especially The Rainbow, Sons and Lovers, a bunch of short stories, and some essays)
>Cellini’s Autobiography
>Casanova’s Autobiography
>Nietzsche in general
>In Search of Lost Time by Proust
>Goethe in general (especially Eckermann’s Conversations, Faust, and some poetry)
>Walt Whitman’s entire corpus
>Decameron by Boccaccio
>Emerson/Montaigne essays (coin flip)

I could probably list 30 or so depending on my mood.

>> No.22348172

>>22348164
Fuck, I forgot

>Van Gogh’s letters

Which may be my favorite

>> No.22348189

>>22348065
Thucydides Pel War, Spinoza Ethics, Cervantes Don Quixote, Montaigne Essays, Dickens Mutual Friend, Dickens Bleak House, Stendhal Charterhouse, Flaubert Sentimental Education, Proust RoTP, West Locust

>> No.22348192

>>22348164
Kek I mentioned the cassanova enjoyer in a recent thread and then wasnt sure if it was the same as the henry miller bro ir not, but sure enough. I also checked out some of those van gogh letters. Not bad but just had the sample. Dont forget to read the book of disquiet hoe

>> No.22348193

>>22348164
>Cellini’s Autobiography
redpill me on this one

>> No.22348200

>>22348192
Fuck also i was looking at decameron at the book store the other day and almost bought it but already had a few books in queue. Would be interested in hearing your thoughts.

>> No.22348203

>Philosophy Before Socrates - McKirahan
>Dead Souls - Gogol
>The Marriage of Heaven and Hell - Blake
>Complete Works of Comte de Lautreamont
>Gorgias - Plato
>All Things Are Possible - Shestov
>Ecclesiastes
>The Aeneid - Virgil
>Confessions of a Mask - Mishima
>The Histories - Herodotus
>>22348189
Based

>> No.22348213

>>22348193
Back in the day he was a fine artist; anachronistically, however, a serial killer.
Seriously, the Autobiography's wonderfully entertaining, never a dull moment.

>> No.22348220

>>22348075
Based
Cringe
Based
Read the manga
Dunno
Cringe
Super cringe
Extremely overrated
Based
Meh
>>22348099
Based
Meh
Dunno
Based
Cringe
>by God
Giga based
Based pajeet
Based
Based
Cringe
>>22348119
Based
Based
Cringe
Based
Cringe
Based
Cringe
Cringe
Based
Based

Overall you have good taste. Maybe too much books from the canon. Should give a try to stuff made this century.

>> No.22348224

Ulysses
Alamanc of the Dead
Moby Dick
Invisible Man
Beloved
Canticle for Leibowitz
The Trial
Agape Agape
House on Mango Street
The Sound and the Fury

>> No.22348228

>>22348065
Fellowship of the Ring
The Two Towers
The Return of the King
The Hobbit
The Silmarillion
Unfinished Tales
The Children of Hiring
The Fall of Gondolin
Beren and Luthien
Letters of Tolkien

>> No.22348229

>>22348224
cringe

>> No.22348231

>>22348203
>Aeneid
Read W. F. Jackson Knight's Roman Vergil. Not a criticism, 100% appreciation and useful information

>> No.22348240

>>22348065
The Book of Disquiet
The Count of Monte Cristo
Mein Kampf
The Magic Mountain
Fathers and Sons
The Brothers Karamazov
Complete works of Sherwood Anderson
The Makioka Sisters
Moby Dick
Gitanjali

That’s a pretty rough estimate since 10 is pretty slim. Many more I regret not listing.

>> No.22348248

>>22348240
>sneaking Mein Kampf into all those actually good books
Nice try, dickhead. One of the worst written, rambling messes ever written

>> No.22348254

>>22348248
Youre retarded, and oftentimes Imperium is on my list as well. Its just a great book, but go on reading marx or hayek, faggot. On another note, thanks for complementing the rest of my list, friend

>> No.22348260

>>22348248
Just an edgy /pol/tard, he'll grow out of it

>> No.22348264

Geneaology of morals
The antichrist
The Ego and its own
Ecce Homo

>> No.22348267

>>22348192
I think I replied in that thread. I’m actually reading The Book of Disquiet right now oddly enough. I’m taking it slow though and reading like 1-5 pages a day. It’s a beautiful book even in translation. I don’t know if it’s Pessoa or Margaret Jull Costa, or both, but it is an extremely rich book. I posted my thoughts a few times but even though it is profoundly depressing, it is also somehow inspiring and beautiful. I see it as the narrator being oblivious. It is a human condition where experiences/expectations/things/reality don’t live up to what they’re hoped to be in someone’s imagination. I don’t know if that makes sense, but it’s almost a stock theme in literature, whether it’s Faust’s yearning for more, the symbolic rainbow in Lawrence’s novel, one of the big themes in ISOLT, etc. A lot of artists use their disappointment with reality to create and live their creative inner life. I’m a sucker for that kind of literature so I’m sure Pessoa will join my favorites. By the narrator being oblivious, he is oblivious to the fact he is a world class artist and has made beauty and art out of nothing, out of a boring mundane life, out of his inner self. That is worthy and respectable. The artist will always interest me if you can’t tell. There relation to the world, what art is, and why the artist creates…
>>22348200
It is the spirit of it I like, in the same vein as Rabelais, and kind of what I said above. The intro is important because it sets the backdrop as the plague in a depressing time. A group gets together to tell stories, a lot of them bawdy, hilarious, and delightful. Good times during a bad period. It reminds me of Nietzsche’s “mountain out of the abyss” analogy. It’s repetitive and uneven at times, but the stories are short enough that it isn’t a big deal

>> No.22348285

>>22348193
Wild book. Not what you’ll expect if you go in blind. I said in the post above that the artist will always interest me but this is just plain entertaining. He is so full of bravado and quips that he comes off comically. He takes on multiple attackers at a time and wins, defends Rome almost single-handedly with a canon, saves an outdoor dinner by shooting a canon at rain clouds, summons demons, gets in feuds with powerful cardinals, popes and kings, is accused of raping and killing a young boy, and lots of other things. It is also very informative of the renaissance; a great inside look from one of the leading figures

>> No.22348303

>>22348231
>Roman Vergil
I'm curious, what's this about? I can't seem to find much info about this

>> No.22348304

>>22348267
That’s a respectable analysis of pessoa for sure. I read something that said the book of disquiet was described by him as coming directly from himself without adding anything extra but only stripping his persona of.. I forget how he put it, certain characteristic aspects of what it means to be a person, predispositions of social satisfaction or some things like that. Certainly he was a genius, though, and I’m glad you like it. I also have the margaret translation.

And I did read the intro of the italian book and it hooked me, the idea of sharing stories during a plague and how they might be heightened forms of imagination, contrasting the shitty reality. I’ll put it on my list. I also was wondering how old you were, after the talk of lining your bookshelves over time.

>> No.22348314

>>22348065
The Holy Bible KJV
The Idiot
The Brothers Karamazov
The Gulag Archipelago
The Death of Ivan Ilyich
Apology of Socrates
Animal Farm
All Art is Propaganda
A tale of two cities

>> No.22348333

>>22348314
You read my autobiography? Wtf

>> No.22348356

in no particular order
The Voyeur - Alain Robbe Grillet
Epigraph - Gordon Lish
The Floating Opera - John Barth
The Blond Owl - Sadegh Hedayat
Refusing Heaven - Jack Gilbert
East of Eden - John Steinbeck
Jesus’ Son - Denis Johnson
A Crack Up At the Race Riots - Harmony Korine
Suttree - Cormac McCarthy
Ulysses - James Joyce

>> No.22348371

>>22348065
In no particular order:

Ubik
The Third Policeman
The Master and Margarita
The Brothers Karamazov
Hard Rain Falling
The Sot-Weed Factor
The Republic of Wine
Chronicle of a Death Foretold
The Mysterious Stranger
A Tomb for Boris Davidovich

>> No.22348381

>>22348304
That makes sense about Pessoa. I get the mystic Baudelaire vibe from. If you haven’t you should check out Paris Spleen

The Decameron is pretty breezy reading and each day has a theme except the guy who goes last each time who is a shitposter, so it’s probably not a great book to devour. I’d recommend reading another book alongside if you read a lot. YMMV though

I’m 34

>> No.22348391

>>22348356
>The Blind Owl

Can you elaborate on this one? It’s a book I’ve had in the back of my mind for a while

>> No.22348398

>>22348381
Ill check out paris spleen thanks. Im like a long distance reader since Im a familyfag. Not much time to read work a lot plus functioning alcoholism but Im consistent. 34 okay, im 29. I read a lot of flowers of evil but I kept thinking if one read Poe in french they wouldn’t get out of it what I was getting in english.

>> No.22348399

>>22348189
I like a lot of these but have never read West. What’s he like?

>> No.22348432

>>22348391
an anon here recommended it and i devoured it in two days. it’s a book where not a lot of action happens it’s a lot of the narrator being a schizo and hating his bitch wife but it’s so relatable and his thoughts are so entertaining. most books bore me after a little while but with TBO after five pages of literally nothing happening but the narrator ruminating on his life i wanted it to go on for another five. i’d say try the first twenty pages. that sets the tone for the whole book.

>> No.22348483

>>22348398
As I’ve gotten older I stopped caring about translations as much as I used to. What I generally look for in a book is translatable. I get that languages are functional as symbols which are intrinsically tied to a culture, but in the age of the internet, I look up a lot of the nuance and understand more. At my age, I’ve become honest with myself that I’d rather spend my time otherwise than learning another language. Reading is just a hobby for me.

I’ve always seen reading as a non competitive activity. If you consistently read, even if a little, you will eventually have a number of books under your belt, yet there will always be the carrot on a stick in front of you as everyone will always want to have read more books than they have. It’s a slow activity. I’ve always thought number of books read isn’t as important as what I take away, what I appreciate, and what I enjoy

Paris Spleen is a prose poem so it’s a little bit different that Flowers of Evil. Here’s an example of a random story. There are others that give more of a Pessoa vibe, especially in regards to boredom. Speaking of Poe, I read a good essay on the symbolists yesterday and when Baudelaire read Poe for the first time, the French didn’t have that style of writing at the time; the “indefiniteness” and confusion between the imaginary world and the real, the confusion between the perception of different senses. Baudelaire became obsessed with it. Poe never seems to get as much respect from his home country compared to the rest of the world

>> No.22348492

>>22348391
It's like Lost Highway by Lynch but mystical and Iranian and written decades before

>> No.22348525

>>22348483
I agree about not reading compulsively. Ive read more than anyone I know in person by far and Im a pretty slow reader. Thats interesting how he loved Poe but I definitely can feel the similarities. I certainly wouldnt think spending countless hours learning the bare bones of a language would be worth reading the original. Id never have read anything but english works in that case and thats simply ridiculous. Its only rhyming poetry that makes me question the idea since it can’t possibly translate in the same form. Idk im drunk but dude I’ve been pushing Gitanjali here hard lately. I think he translated most of it himself. But its simply amazing. Basically a pamphlet more than a book but means more to me than countless great works of prose.

>> No.22348554

>>22348483
I'm from Mexico and Poe is seen as a classic author here. Same as Hugo or Stendhal. It was surprising to me browsing /lit/ and learning that many Americans viewed him as some meme genre fiction writer.

>> No.22348591

>>22348525
I have the feeling I would really like Tagore. A few writers I really like have mentioned his name, and from what I’ve sampled he seems to have that eastern philosophy tinge that I’m fond of, kind of like more lush Classical Chinese poetry. I like a lot of eastern spiritual and philosophical texts but I’m woefully under read in their fiction and poetry. Thanks for the rec, I definitely want to check him out as I love poetry with mysticism

>> No.22348596

>>22348554
I can’t for the life of me understand why he isn’t more admonished in the modern sphere.

>> No.22348608
File: 1.17 MB, 1125x2436, 1039C934-29D2-44A6-AC99-08EC03F960AA.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>22348591
Just a random sample but one of many of my favorites.

>> No.22348614

>>22348596
Im retarded and used the wrong word

>> No.22348615

>>22348554
I like a ton of American writers but Poe is one of the few that I would consider a giant in literature. Very influential in a bunch of genres and styles. Few writers are as tied to an aesthetic or atmosphere as Poe is. Anons who think he is genre fic should read Eureka

>> No.22348636

>>22348615
Not the mexican bro but dude eurika is hard to read, i feel its the top level of anything ive ever tried to read, and Ive appreciated gravities rainbow and shit like that and read plenty of the more complex classics but this story is just hard to understand yano?

>> No.22348640

>>22348065
Selected Writings- Gerard de Nerval
Nightwood- Djuna Barnes
Speedboat- Renata Adler
Justine & other writings- Marquis de Sade
Lady Chatterley’s Lover- David Herbert Lawrence
Emma- Jane Austen
Jane Eyre- Charlotte Brontë
Trilogy- Beckett
Helen in Egypt- H.D.
Sometimes a Great Notion- Ken Kesey

>> No.22348650

>>22348636
It is very dense. Poe is more philosophical than he’s given credit for. I really want to check out his essays and reviews which I’ve never read
>>22348608
Any collections or specific books you recommend?

>> No.22348661

>>22348650
He certainly is. I don’t understand why he is stuck in the “school curriculum” state when he clearly broke every elementary barrier.

This is from Gitanjali, which I’d recommend very highly. I have another book which includes a ton of his stuff but i dont like the translations to the poems and find the letters more interesting. You can read the pdf of gitanjali online easily. Its amazing.

>> No.22348672

>>22348661
Also dostoyevsky was quite the fan of Poe, fyi

>> No.22348703

>>22348661
A lot of the high school curriculum seems to be comprised of books where you get out what you put in, aka books with lots of depth but also low hanging fruit. I don’t know what the solution is but it seems clear to me that the education system kills a lot of joy in reading and many students just want to do the bare minimum. It seems to be a common story where a child loves reading, stops reading during his teenage years but rediscovers the passion later. I’m similar. Maybe it’s just teenage hormones but I also think a lot of highschoolcore are books that one can’t really appreciate till later in life

I just ordered a couple Ted Hughes’ translated books: Phedre by Racine and Orestia by Aeschylus, so I was planning on reading those next but I’ll order Tagore in my next batch of books. He’s one of those hundred names of authors I want to read but won’t pull the trigger till someone mentions their name. Lol

>> No.22348741

In no particular order.
Recs are welcome.

The Brothers Karamazov - Dostoyevsky
Vivir Abajo - Gustavo Faverón Patriau
Canada - Richard Ford
Before Night Falls - Reinaldo Arenas
My Tender Matador - Pedro Lemebel
1984 - George Orwell
Lolita - Vladimir Nabokov
The Tunnel - Ernesto Sábato
One Hundred Years of Solitude - Gabriel García Marquez
The Silent Cry - Kenzaburo Oe
Bestiary - Julio Cortázar

>> No.22348754

Huh, we have another Tagore fan here. No particular order.
Gitanjali
Ulysses
Le diable au corps
Fleurs du mal
Making of Americans
Le misanthrope
La Divina Commedia
Professor Shonku
Random Feluda stories (last two are only because of nostalgia)

>> No.22348760

>>22348754
For more serious choices for the last two
St. Petersburg
Labyrinths

>> No.22348767

>>22348065
The Way of Kings - Brandon Sanderson
Name of the Wind - Rothfuss
Clash of Kings - G.R.R. Martin
Dark Tower - Stephen King
American Gods - Neil Gaiman
The Poppy War - RF Kuang
Eragon - Christopher Paolini
The Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins
The Fifth Season - N.K. Jemisin
Lord of the Rings - JRR Tolkien

>> No.22348790

>>22348065
1. The Bible - KJV (various)
2. The Fate of Empires (Glubb)
3. The History of the Church (Eusebius)
4. The Histories (Herodotus)
5. Memoirs of the Second World War (Churchill)
6. Alice duology (Carroll)
7. Medieval Russia's Epics, Chronicles, and Tales (Zenkovsky)
8. The Complete Brothers Grimm Fairy Tales
9. Bitter Glory: Poland and Its Fate (Watt)
10. The Screwtape Letters (Lewis)

>> No.22348824

>>22348065
Critique of Pure Reason
Brothers Karamazov
World as Will and Representation
Gay Science
Thus Spoke Zarathustra
Crime and Punishment
Faust
The Republic
Macbeth
Hume’s Enquiry

>> No.22348971

>>22348065
The Beach - Alex Garland
The People in the Trees - Hanya Yanagihara
As I lay Dying - Faulkner
And the Ass Saw the Angel - Nick Cave
Child of God - McCarthy
Dying Inside - Robert Silverberg
The Virgin Suicides - Jeffery Eugenides
East of Eden - Steinbeck
Rain - W. Somerset Maugham
Walden - Thoreau
idk

>> No.22348978

>>22348971
Nice

>> No.22349060

>>22348075
not /lit/ retard

>> No.22349064

>>22348065
1. The God Delusion
2. God is Not Great
3. Infidel
4. On the Nature of the Universe
5. The Golden Bough
6. The End of Faith
7. The Future of an Illusion
8. The Problems of Philosophy
9. God and the State
10. An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding

>> No.22349080

>>22348065
Blood Meridian
The Hobbit (Your all sheep its a masterpiece)
The World by Armesto (History Book)
Signal Processing & Linear Systems by Lathi
Big in Japan by David Gordon
Frederick Douglass Autobiography

..Thats it, I dont read much.

>> No.22349176

>>22348065
C&P
TBK
Demons
The Idiot
Notes from the underground
War and Peace
Anna Karenina
Infinite Jest
Gravity's Rainbow
Ulysses

>> No.22349179
File: 37 KB, 613x556, 0219 - DUv8tx3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>22349176

>> No.22349186

>>22349179
yes, and?

>> No.22349188
File: 27 KB, 680x468, 0512 - AAfYsOB.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>22349186

>> No.22349361
File: 31 KB, 440x557, 440px-Roberto_bolaño.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Bolaño - Los detectives salvajes
Dostoevsky - Crime and punishment
Dostoevsky - The Brothers Karamazov
Bolaño - 2666
Borges - Ficciones
Borges - El Aleph
Musil - The Man Without Qualities
Grass - The Tin Drum
Proust - La Recherche
Eco - Il Pendolo di Foucalt

>> No.22349712

>>22348228
Beyond based.

>> No.22349734

The Bible
The God Delusion
The Torah
God Is Not Great
The Quran
The Satanic Bible
The Art of The Deal
Moby Dick
Death Note
My Diary Desu

>> No.22349742

I only have a top 5 because I am new to reading

Alice in Wonderland
The Epic of Gilgamesh
The Lord of the Rings
Tao Te Ching
Industrial Society and Its Future

>> No.22349747

>>22348391
They browse reddit since it’s reddit the book

>> No.22349872

>>22348065
Moby-Dick
Paradise Lost
The Faerie Queene
Vala, Or the Four Zoas
The Temptation of Saint Anthony
Faust
Ulysses
Don Quixote
Metamorphoses (Ovid, not Kafka)
Ficciones

Not counting the Word of God (The Holy Bible 1611 Authorized Version) as that would be cheating though I favor it over all else for instruction and delight.

Honorable mentions include Leaves of Grass, King Lear, The Idiot, The Metempsychosis by Donne, Les Chants de Maldoror, and the Disagreeable Tales

>> No.22349887
File: 130 KB, 1173x828, IMG_9893.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

My favorite books (in no particular order):
>The Sound and the Fury
>Tobacco Road
>Suttree
>The Grapes of Wrath
>The Catcher in the Rye
>The Corrections
>Infinite Jest
>American Psycho
>The Shadow of the Torturer
>Martian Time-slip

My favorite short stories are the ones from Ring Lardner, PKD, and Flannery O’Connor

>> No.22350187

La Peste by Camus, i find this book extremely comfy as a summer read, baking in the sun of the balcony of my apartment
L'Etranger by Camus, same reason, i find this book extremely comfy, and the protagonist is literally me, or so my first gf who recommend me the book said.
Memoire of a European, the world of yesterday by Stefan Zweig, very cool cool book about the transition between the 19th century and the modern era.
Une vie, by Simone Veil, very cool book about the transition between WW2 and the modern day from the eyes of an Auschwitz refugee who became president of the EU parliament
Stupeur et Tremblement by Amélie Nothomb, about a European going to work in Japan and having troubles fitting in their corporate culture, pretty funny
Bilbo the Hobbit, comfy read
Voyage au bout de la nuit, Céline, i had a hard time getting into it because the prose is so different from what i'm used to, but he drops a great quote almost every page, it's very satisfying to read, and again i love people talking about how the world is changing
Antigone by Jean Anouilh, not a huge theatre fag but our teacher made us study it in high school and i loved it
Madame Bovary from Gustave Flaubert.
La Promesse de l'aube by Romain Gary, autobiographical book about his relationship with his jewish mother, very funny how stereotypically jewish she is.

>> No.22350248
File: 47 KB, 500x625, main-qimg-d1ccd2672637030a1af23960a87b0184-lq.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>22349887
barely any point posting mine when its this similar! nice list

>The Sound and the Fury
>The Sailor Who Fell from GRacy with the Sea
>The Shadow of the Torturer
>The Book of Disquiet
>Suttree
>Moby Dick
>The Catcher in the Rye
>Ulysses
>The Waves
>Hadji Murád
>De Kapellekensbaan

>> No.22350325

>>22350187
You must be german

>> No.22351284

>>22348065
Bump

>> No.22351446

The Notebook, Agota Kristoff
Seven riders, Jean Raspail
The camp of the saints, Jean Raspail
Rage, Richard Bachman
The Gambler, Dostoevsky
Gagner la Guerre, Jean-Philippe Jaworsky
The three musketeers, Alexandre Dumas
Whatever, Michel Houellebecq
The Torture Garden, Octave Mirbeau
Art, Yasmina Reza

Last one is a stretch since it's a play, but it's so god damn good.

>> No.22351467

The Sound and the Fury
The Name of the Rose
Moby Dick
Blood Meridian
War and Peace
Crime and Punishment
The Red and the Black
Doctor Faustus
Runaway Horses

>> No.22351477

1. "Whispers of the Forgotten" - Penelope Grayson
2. "Echoes in the Mist" - Alexander Hartfield
3. "Ephemeral Serenade" - Isabelle Sinclair
4. "Chronicles of the Astral Realm" - Nathaniel Winterbourne
5. "The Enigmatic Atlas" - Amelia Evergreen
6. "Gilded Secrets and Tarnished Truths" - Theodore Ravenscroft
7. "The Labyrinthine Odyssey" - Cassandra Fairchild
8. "The Arcane Codex" - Lucius Hawthorne
9. "Shadows of the Celestial Veil" - Arabella Nightshade
10. "Veiled Whispers of Eldritch Lore" - Montgomery Thistledown

>> No.22351500
File: 45 KB, 474x719, OIP (1).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>22348065
In no specific order:

Scarlet and Red - Stendhal
Thus Spoke Zarthustra - Nietzsche
The Iliad - Homer
The Odyssey - Homer
The Brothers Karamazov - Dostoevsky
Peloponnesian war - Thucydides
The Campaigns of Alexander - Arrian
The Kasidah - Sir Richard Francis Burton
Anabasis - Xenophon
Anna Karenina - Tolstoy

>> No.22351594

>>22348065
USA Trilogy- Dos Passos
Gargantuan and Pantagruel- Rabelais
Illuminations- Rimbaud
Collected Short Stories- Hemingway
I Ching/Tao Te Ching
Siddhartha- Hesse
A Glastonbury Romance- Powys
The Idiot- Dostoyevsky
Plutarch’s Lives and Moralia
Dead Souls/Collected Stories- Gogol

>> No.22351599

>>22351594
>I Ching/Tao Te Ching
Not the same thing faggot

>> No.22351721
File: 948 KB, 1595x1170, 9087A69E-DCCD-40C8-A4AD-F26C95B2DFEA.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

1. The Holy Bible
2. Crime and Punishment
3. The Brothers Karamazov
4. The Confessions of St Augustine
5. War and Peace
6. The Stranger
7. The Republic
8. The Odyssey
9. The Idiot
10. Kafka on the Shore

>>22348099
>>22348118
>>22348138
>>22348314
>>22348790
based :)

>> No.22351727
File: 92 KB, 1068x1320, 1672200125137239.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>22348075
>the grand Budapest hotel
Yikes

>> No.22351755

>>22351599
And neither are Dead Souls and Collected stories. / means “or/and”

>> No.22351876

>>22351755
I know. But it was a nice excuse to call someone a faggot.

>> No.22353230

In Search Of Lost Time
The Sleepwalkers
The Emigrants
Conversation In The Cathedral
Pedro Paramo
War and Peace
The Good Soldier Svejk
The Man Without Qualities
Dog Years
The Charterhouse of Parma

>> No.22353343
File: 132 KB, 641x1000, Weird Shadows Over Innsmouth.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>22348065
1. Weird Shadows Over Innsmouth
2. Weird Shadows Over Innsmouth
3. Weird Shadows Over Innsmouth
4. Weird Shadows Over Innsmouth
5. Weird Shadows Over Innsmouth
6. Weird Shadows Over Innsmouth
7. Weird Shadows Over Innsmouth
8. Weird Shadows Over Innsmouth
9. Weird Shadows Over Innsmouth
10. Weird Shadows Over Innsmouth

>> No.22353359
File: 10 KB, 211x239, download (79).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>22348065
>try to make list
>I haven't even read 10 books I like
>even if I had 2 more to fill out the list those would just happen to be the books I read that I liked
>haven't finished a book that wasn't the Bible in half a decade
>mfw I don't even know what I'm doing on this board

>> No.22353361

>>22348075
Is this a fucking joke?