[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 32 KB, 468x655, images (77).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
22354715 No.22354715 [Reply] [Original]

I guess I could ask /adv/ but I think this board probably has better insight on this question
I used to read a lot until college. Now I cant
I know what I want to read, I just keep reading a bit of each book and never finish anything anymore
I dont know if it has to do with smartphones, or with the responsibilities of adult life, or with something else
Have the anons here passed through a similar phase? How did you get out of it?

>> No.22354845

>>22354715
The same way you would finish a movie, or a hike. You just finish it, its just a page with words you fucking stupid mongoloid. But Ill give you a method to try that works. You get into the bath filled with water and drop in a plugged in toaster

>> No.22354862

Read short stories and flash fiction. They're a lot easy to stay engaged through, and will give you that quick gratification that other forms of entertainment offer. After that, you'll become much more engaged with novels and other longer forms of literature.

>> No.22354867

Just pick up a book and read it, there's no other way.

>> No.22354870
File: 57 KB, 463x325, IMG_7242.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I became an avid reader like three months ago and I can't stop. I stopped watching tv and I don't spend much time on 4chan anymore.

Here's how I did it.

-Remember the average person reads like zero books a year. If you read 5 pages a day, you are 5 pages above the average person

-Don't force yourself to read. Commit to read 5 pages a day. I swear after three days you'll feel like reading more and after a month or so you should be reading 50-100 pages a day for pleasure

-Read various books at the same time. When I grab a difficult book or one that makes me sleepy I grab another and switch. This should refresh your head. Keep them thematically different. I read economics and fiction.

-It isn't a race. Reading slowly won't make you sleepy that fast. Try to acknowledge what books are for you to read fast and which aren't.

-Buy the physical copies. When you get the books from your own money you'll feel the need to read them to avoid the feel of wasting your money.

-Start with books highly discussed here so you feel motivated to discuss.

>> No.22354877

>>22354870
>Buy the physical copies. When you get the books from your own money you'll feel the need to read them to avoid the feel of wasting your money.
Just get books from the library, the return date will motivate you to read them.

>> No.22355477

>>22354715
>pick up book
>read it
It's that easy :^)

>> No.22355585

It's an enjoyable hobby, not a full time job. Just pick up a book and read it.

>> No.22356663

>>22354870
Hello brother

>> No.22356689

>>22354870
>wasting money
Not OP, but this is just an outlet for my self destructive tendencies, come end of the last month, I bought Sloterdijks spheres and didn't eat last two day.
>>22354877
For this I ended up dropping from my library. They don even mind if you return them too late, I just couldn't take the embarrassment of doing that every time anymore. Ended up stealing a book or two.