[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 49 KB, 900x719, Moby-Dick; Or, The Whale.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
22539198 No.22539198 [Reply] [Original]

A slow pace for deeper discussion: one chapter a day. Tomorrow is discussion of the first chapter.

If you're interested, drop a post

ITT: we discuss "Etymology" and "Extracts", the sections Melville wrote which precede the first chapter. The first character we meet is not, in fact, Ishmael, but "a late consumptive Usher" (according to The Norton Critical Edition, the term usher here refers to an assistant schoolmaster) to whom the the collation of the etymology is ascribed to. The collation of extracts is later ascribed to a "sub-sub-librarian".

threads can be followed on /lit/'s poetry discord: https://discord.com/invite/2UvwjZyvBx

>> No.22539205

>>22539198
good lord! what a huge cock!!

>> No.22539207

what translation are we reading?

>> No.22539210

>>22539207
Yeah Im confused mine is titled Moby Whale; or the White Dick.

>> No.22539225

>>22539207
King James Version

>> No.22539228

>>22539207
/lit/ annotated edition

>> No.22539239

>>22539207
McDuff is way better than P&V.
I'm in btw.

>> No.22539265

>>22539198
>“While you take in hand to school others, and to teach them by what name a whale-fish is to be called in our tongue, leaving out, through ignorance, the letter H, which almost alone maketh up the signification of the word, you deliver that which is not true.”
Always loved how Moby Dick opens with this quote. Besides being hilarious, it's also so fitting to start the book off with.

>> No.22539373

Based let's go

>> No.22539424

so...loomings eh. what does the word means? shadow? a dark cloud. depression looming over oneself?

>> No.22539456

Alright ya fuckos, this better be worth it. I'll be stopping my read at chapter 54 to go read it along with you guys.

>> No.22539563

>>22539424
Loomings, according to Norton Critical Edition, is a nautical term for "Dimly seen land or ships ahead or even beyond the horizon:"

>> No.22540015

Count me in, I want to read this with you guys

>> No.22540089

>>22540015
oh really? well you have to suck my uncut cock first of all. are you ready to do that? also you have to dance in the rain of my sperm

>> No.22540109

>>22539198
This is the first thread I've seen on this. Have I missed the previous one or did OP just spontaneously decide this reading? Either way, I'm in, I've been wanting to reread Moby Dick for a while now.

>> No.22540150

>>22540109
shut your pusyyass face and start reading will ya? ya fuckoo!

>> No.22540269

>>22540150
>shut your pusyyass face and start reading will ya? ya fuckoo!
Why are you so mean fren?

>> No.22540396

>>22540150
shut up

>> No.22540425

>>22540109
I asked about it on the poetry server first. There was no prior thread though

>> No.22540481

Sounds good, I'm in.

>> No.22540578

I just read the introductory material and so far it sounds really gay.

>> No.22540617
File: 85 KB, 323x326, 1665804905538642.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This seems like a good way to stay motivated and read every day. Never read anything together with anyone so I am looking forward to this.

>> No.22540643

Planning to start reading it in December.

>>22539563
Always thought that the word loom, looming connoted something ominous.

>> No.22540651
File: 606 KB, 593x580, 1609967811723.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>22539198
>EXTRACTS. (Supplied by a Sub-Sub-Librarian)

>> No.22540695

>>22539198
Fuck, so sudden /lit/ group reading. Is Bible prerequisite before Moby Dick or can I just join?

>> No.22540699

I'm considering fucking my copy of Moby Dick.

>> No.22540711

>>22540695
You might want to read the book of Jonah prior to Moby Dick, which is just like 3 or 4 pages anyway, but I wouldn't call it a prerequisite.

>> No.22541534

Muh-Dik

>> No.22541582

>>22541534
muh-cock

>> No.22541800

I must say, this thread is off to a disappointing start. For how many people on /lit/ are constantly raving about how great this book is, I would have expected more to be willing to seriously participate in a deep read.

>inb4 how about you deep read my DICK LMAO!

>> No.22541982

>>22541800
I have done several reading groups and most people give up early, if people stick with it then it is possible discussion will be better but I am dubious that will happen

>> No.22543340

Did we start yet?

>> No.22543353

>>22541800
Without opening this thread, I’ll say what I’ve said a few previous times- there is no point leading a read along if you can’t really bring a lot to the table. At least one anon has to be well versed and have read the book multiple times and act like a professor of sorts, guiding and cultivating discussion. One day I’ll make a thread I’ve been thinking about for a bit- a short story read along where an anon very knowledgeable puts forth a short story to read, and there is a bunch of writers so the flavor is always fresh. Basically anons pick different short story a day

>> No.22543402

I think the OP pic is the reason this ain't getting traction. Next thread get a purdier pic.

>> No.22543579

Thoughts on Chapter One: Loomings

The narrator's introduces his philosophy on water, which is Biblically a metaphor for void, but for the narrator also almost a stand in for being itself. Is there is a contradiction? Chaos--Greek for "void"--in classical mythology is undistinguished mass, before it is separated and ordered. The gravitation toward water functions as a desire to return in some ways to a unity of being.

>> No.22543646

>>22541800
>For how many people on /lit/ are constantly raving about how great this book is,
Most people around here, when asked what their favourite novels are, just blindly name the usual lists of what are supposed to be great classical novels or what they had to read in high school/university.

I bet very few actually read all those books or even enjoyed them.

>> No.22543733

>>22543353
>Without opening this thread, I’ll say what I’ve said a few previous times- there is no point leading a read along if you can’t really bring a lot to the table. At least one anon has to be well versed and have read the book multiple times and act like a professor of sorts, guiding and cultivating discussion. One day I’ll make a thread I’ve been thinking about for a bit- a short story read along where an anon very knowledgeable puts forth a short story to read, and there is a bunch of writers so the flavor is always fresh. Basically anons pick different short story a day
I think you're right here. With that in mind, are there any anons who would be interested in a readthrough of Thucydides? I have the equivalent of a doctorate in classical Greek history.

>> No.22543908

>>22543353
I tried this with Ovid and Dante. It is just the opposite: the more effort I poured into the OP, the more anons refused to read all of it.

>> No.22543916

>>22539207
This made me laugher harder than it should've

>> No.22544028

>>22539207
lattimore of course

>> No.22544120

>>22543353
I haven't participated in many /lit/ read alongs so far, but I was very surprised how active the Don Quixote and War and Peace threads from last year were for at least the first couple of weeks. Most people there read it for the first time and the discussions were still fairly interesting. Sure, it's nothing deep but it's still very helpful for one's own comprehension to talk about chapters with others even when it's on a surface level. I'm really hoping this read along will still get at least a handful of people to participate frequently. Moby Dick is the kind of book where I feel like I barely scratched the surface on my first time reading it by myself.

>> No.22544434
File: 532 KB, 2100x3400, lmao.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Here's the timetable for the reading.

>> No.22544438
File: 30 KB, 500x486, Why Biz.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>22539198
Guys I just read this shit, where were you in July?

>> No.22544444

>>22541800
The homosexual themes in this book lend itself to those comments

>> No.22544448

>>22544438
join us again my friend

>> No.22544483

>>22544448
I'll definitely come back for the last couple chapters

>> No.22544486

am i the only person filtered by Moby Dick? i enjoy reading it, but at the end i don't understand anything

>> No.22544499

>>22544486
the feeling is mutual

>> No.22544539

>>22544486
Just ask here what you are unsure about

>> No.22544541

>>22539207

I think Moby Dick was originally written in American English, the same language you are using to communicate with people in your post

>> No.22544545

>>22539198

Next month is the month of October, couldn't you choose something like Gothic or Horror?

>> No.22544546

>>22544541
>he hasn't read the polish to english translation

>> No.22544557

>>22539207
Władysław Herman Majewski’s MobyFiut: Lub, Wieloryb

>> No.22544571
File: 607 KB, 564x566, cat 092.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>22539198
Do anons ever feel the hypos and an irresistible urge to start fights by knocking people's hats off?

>> No.22544572

god i hate sperm whales with every fibre of my being

>> No.22544576

>>22543908
There is also the issue that many anons like the idea of reading more than actually reading itself

>> No.22544580

So is the whale the equivalent of worms in Dune?

>> No.22544585
File: 237 KB, 673x400, Moby Whale; or, The Dick.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>22539198
Ok you noreads, here's the text so you have no excuse to bitch

ETYMOLOGY.
(Supplied by a Late Consumptive Usher to a Grammar School.)
The pale Usher—threadbare in coat, heart, body, and brain; I see him now. He was ever dusting his old lexicons and grammars, with a queer handkerchief, mockingly embellished with all the gay flags of all the known nations of the world. He loved to dust his old grammars; it somehow mildly reminded him of his mortality.

“While you take in hand to school others, and to teach them by what name a whale-fish is to be called in our tongue, leaving out, through ignorance, the letter H, which almost alone maketh up the signification of the word, you deliver that which is not true.” —Hackluyt.

“WHALE. * * * Sw. and Dan. hval. This animal is named from roundness or rolling; for in Dan. hvalt is arched or vaulted.” —Webster’s Dictionary.

“WHALE. * * * It is more immediately from the Dut. and Ger. Wallen; A.S. Walw-ian, to roll, to wallow.” —Richardson’s Dictionary.

חו, Hebrew.
ϰητος, Greek.
CETUS, Latin.
WHŒL, Anglo-Saxon.
HVALT, Danish.
WAL, Dutch.
HWAL, Swedish.
HVALUR, Icelandic.
WHALE, English.
BALEINE, French.
BALLENA, Spanish.
PEKEE-NUEE-NUEE, Fegee.
PEHEE-NUEE-NUEE, Erromangoan.

>> No.22544589

>>22544580
Pretty much. It get's crazy in Billy Budd when Ishmael shows back up again as a half-man half-whale ship's captain

>> No.22544594

>>22544585
>cont.

EXTRACTS. (Supplied by a Sub-Sub-Librarian).
It will be seen that this mere painstaking burrower and grub-worm of a poor devil of a Sub-Sub appears to have gone through the long Vaticans and street-stalls of the earth, picking up whatever random allusions to whales he could anyways find in any book whatsoever, sacred or profane. Therefore you must not, in every case at least, take the higgledy-piggledy whale statements, however authentic, in these extracts, for veritable gospel cetology. Far from it. As touching the ancient authors generally, as well as the poets here appearing, these extracts are solely valuable or entertaining, as affording a glancing bird’s eye view of what has been promiscuously said, thought, fancied, and sung of Leviathan, by many nations and generations, including our own.

So fare thee well, poor devil of a Sub-Sub, whose commentator I am. Thou belongest to that hopeless, sallow tribe which no wine of this world will ever warm; and for whom even Pale Sherry would be too rosy-strong; but with whom one sometimes loves to sit, and feel poor-devilish, too; and grow convivial upon tears; and say to them bluntly, with full eyes and empty glasses, and in not altogether unpleasant sadness—Give it up, Sub-Subs! For by how much the more pains ye take to please the world, by so much the more shall ye for ever go thankless! Would that I could clear out Hampton Court and the Tuileries for ye! But gulp down your tears and hie aloft to the royal-mast with your hearts; for your friends who have gone before are clearing out the seven-storied heavens, and making refugees of long-pampered Gabriel, Michael, and Raphael, against your coming. Here ye strike but splintered hearts together—there, ye shall strike unsplinterable glasses!

>> No.22544606

>>22544594

EXTRACTS.
“And God created great whales.” —Genesis.

“Leviathan maketh a path to shine after him; One would think the deep to be hoary.” —Job.

“Now the Lord had prepared a great fish to swallow up Jonah.” —Jonah.

“There go the ships; there is that Leviathan whom thou hast made to play therein.” —Psalms.

“In that day, the Lord with his sore, and great, and strong sword, shall punish Leviathan the piercing serpent, even Leviathan that crooked serpent; and he shall slay the dragon that is in the sea.” —Isaiah.

“And what thing soever besides cometh within the chaos of this monster’s mouth, be it beast, boat, or stone, down it goes all incontinently that foul great swallow of his, and perisheth in the bottomless gulf of his paunch.” —Holland’s Plutarch’s Morals.

“The Indian Sea breedeth the most and the biggest fishes that are: among which the Whales and Whirlpooles called Balaene, take up as much in length as four acres or arpens of land.” —Holland’s Pliny.

“Scarcely had we proceeded two days on the sea, when about sunrise a great many Whales and other monsters of the sea, appeared. Among the former, one was of a most monstrous size.... This came towards us, open-mouthed, raising the waves on all sides, and beating the sea before him into a foam.” —Tooke’s Lucian. “The True History.”

“He visited this country also with a view of catching horse-whales, which had bones of very great value for their teeth, of which he brought some to the king.... The best whales were catched in his own country, of which some were forty-eight, some fifty yards long. He said that he was one of six who had killed sixty in two days.” —Other or Other’s verbal narrative taken down from his mouth by King Alfred, A.D. 890.

“And whereas all the other things, whether beast or vessel, that enter into the dreadful gulf of this monster’s (whale’s) mouth, are immediately lost and swallowed up, the sea-gudgeon retires into it in great security, and there sleeps.” —MONTAIGNE. —Apology for Raimond Sebond.

“Let us fly, let us fly! Old Nick take me if it is not Leviathan described by the noble prophet Moses in the life of patient Job.” —Rabelais.

“This whale’s liver was two cartloads.” —Stowe’s Annals.

“The great Leviathan that maketh the seas to seethe like boiling pan.” —Lord Bacon’s Version of the Psalms.

“Touching that monstrous bulk of the whale or ork we have received nothing certain. They grow exceeding fat, insomuch that an incredible quantity of oil will be extracted out of one whale.” —Ibid. “History of Life and Death.”

“The sovereignest thing on earth is parmacetti for an inward bruise.” —King Henry.

“Very like a whale.” —Hamlet.

>> No.22544608

>>22539198
thread ruined my life... guess

>> No.22544609

>>22544606
“Which to secure, no skill of leach’s art
Mote him availle, but to returne againe
To his wound’s worker, that with lowly dart,
Dinting his breast, had bred his restless paine,
Like as the wounded whale to shore flies thro’ the maine.”
—The Fairie Queen.
“Immense as whales, the motion of whose vast bodies can in a peaceful calm trouble the ocean till it boil.” —Sir William Davenant. Preface to Gondibert.

“What spermacetti is, men might justly doubt, since the learned Hosmannus in his work of thirty years, saith plainly, Nescio quid sit.” —Sir T. Browne. Of Sperma Ceti and the Sperma Ceti Whale. Vide his V. E.

“Like Spencer’s Talus with his modern flail
He threatens ruin with his ponderous tail.
Their fixed jav’lins in his side he wears,
And on his back a grove of pikes appears.”
—Waller’s Battle of the Summer Islands.
“By art is created that great Leviathan, called a Commonwealth or State—(in Latin, Civitas) which is but an artificial man.” —Opening sentence of Hobbes’s Leviathan.

“Silly Mansoul swallowed it without chewing, as if it had been a sprat in the mouth of a whale.” —Pilgrim’s Progress.

“That sea beast
Leviathan, which God of all his works
Created hugest that swim the ocean stream.” —Paradise Lost.

—“There Leviathan,
Hugest of living creatures, in the deep
Stretched like a promontory sleeps or swims,
And seems a moving land; and at his gills
Draws in, and at his breath spouts out a sea.” —Ibid.
“The mighty whales which swim in a sea of water, and have a sea of oil swimming in them.” —Fuller’s Profane and Holy State.

“So close behind some promontory lie
The huge Leviathan to attend their prey,
And give no chance, but swallow in the fry,
Which through their gaping jaws mistake the way.”
—Dryden’s Annus Mirabilis.
“While the whale is floating at the stern of the ship, they cut off his head, and tow it with a boat as near the shore as it will come; but it will be aground in twelve or thirteen feet water.” —Thomas Edge’s Ten Voyages to Spitzbergen, in Purchas.

“In their way they saw many whales sporting in the ocean, and in wantonness fuzzing up the water through their pipes and vents, which nature has placed on their shoulders.” —Sir T. Herbert’s Voyages into Asia and Africa. Harris Coll.

“Here they saw such huge troops of whales, that they were forced to proceed with a great deal of caution for fear they should run their ship upon them.” —Schouten’s Sixth Circumnavigation.

>> No.22544610

>>22544571
Yeah work does that

>> No.22544611

>>22544589
And when Ishmael drinks that sea water and trips out.

>> No.22544612

>>22544609
“We set sail from the Elbe, wind N.E. in the ship called The Jonas-in-the-Whale.... Some say the whale can’t open his mouth, but that is a fable.... They frequently climb up the masts to see whether they can see a whale, for the first discoverer has a ducat for his pains.... I was told of a whale taken near Shetland, that had above a barrel of herrings in his belly.... One of our harpooneers told me that he caught once a whale in Spitzbergen that was white all over.” —A Voyage to Greenland, A.D. 1671. Harris Coll.

“Several whales have come in upon this coast (Fife) Anno 1652, one eighty feet in length of the whale-bone kind came in, which (as I was informed), besides a vast quantity of oil, did afford 500 weight of baleen. The jaws of it stand for a gate in the garden of Pitferren.” —Sibbald’s Fife and Kinross.

“Myself have agreed to try whether I can master and kill this Sperma-ceti whale, for I could never hear of any of that sort that was killed by any man, such is his fierceness and swiftness.” —Richard Strafford’s Letter from the Bermudas. Phil. Trans. A.D. 1668.

“Whales in the sea God’s voice obey.” —N. E. Primer.

“We saw also abundance of large whales, there being more in those southern seas, as I may say, by a hundred to one; than we have to the northward of us.” —Captain Cowley’s Voyage round the Globe, A.D. 1729.

“... and the breath of the whale is frequently attended with such an insupportable smell, as to bring on a disorder of the brain.” —Ulloa’s South America.

“To fifty chosen sylphs of special note,
We trust the important charge, the petticoat.
Oft have we known that seven-fold fence to fail,
Tho’ stuffed with hoops and armed with ribs of whale.”
—Rape of the Lock.

>> No.22544616

>>22544611
I'm pretty sure he was drinking saltwater mingled with spermacetti that time

>> No.22544619

>>22544612
“If we compare land animals in respect to magnitude, with those that take up their abode in the deep, we shall find they will appear contemptible in the comparison. The whale is doubtless the largest animal in creation.” —Goldsmith, Nat. Hist.

“If you should write a fable for little fishes, you would make them speak like great whales.” —Goldsmith to Johnson.

“In the afternoon we saw what was supposed to be a rock, but it was found to be a dead whale, which some Asiatics had killed, and were then towing ashore. They seemed to endeavor to conceal themselves behind the whale, in order to avoid being seen by us.” —Cook’s Voyages.

“The larger whales, they seldom venture to attack. They stand in so great dread of some of them, that when out at sea they are afraid to mention even their names, and carry dung, lime-stone, juniper-wood, and some other articles of the same nature in their boats, in order to terrify and prevent their too near approach.” —Uno Von Troil’s Letters on Banks’s and Solander’s Voyage to Iceland in 1772.

“The Spermacetti Whale found by the Nantuckois, is an active, fierce animal, and requires vast address and boldness in the fishermen.” —Thomas Jefferson’s Whale Memorial to the French minister in 1778.

“And pray, sir, what in the world is equal to it?” —Edmund Burke’s reference in Parliament to the Nantucket Whale-Fishery.

“Spain—a great whale stranded on the shores of Europe.” —Edmund Burke. (somewhere.)

“A tenth branch of the king’s ordinary revenue, said to be grounded on the consideration of his guarding and protecting the seas from pirates and robbers, is the right to royal fish, which are whale and sturgeon. And these, when either thrown ashore or caught near the coast, are the property of the king.” —Blackstone.

>> No.22544624

>>22544619
“Soon to the sport of death the crews repair:
Rodmond unerring o’er his head suspends
The barbed steel, and every turn attends.”
—Falconer’s Shipwreck.

“Bright shone the roofs, the domes, the spires,
And rockets blew self driven,
To hang their momentary fire
Around the vault of heaven.

“So fire with water to compare,
The ocean serves on high,
Up-spouted by a whale in air,
To express unwieldy joy.”
—Cowper, on the Queen’s Visit to London.
“Ten or fifteen gallons of blood are thrown out of the heart at a stroke, with immense velocity.” —John Hunter’s account of the dissection of a whale. (A small sized one.)

“The aorta of a whale is larger in the bore than the main pipe of the water-works at London Bridge, and the water roaring in its passage through that pipe is inferior in impetus and velocity to the blood gushing from the whale’s heart.” —Paley’s Theology.

“The whale is a mammiferous animal without hind feet.” —Baron Cuvier.

“In 40 degrees south, we saw Spermacetti Whales, but did not take any till the first of May, the sea being then covered with them.” —Colnett’s Voyage for the Purpose of Extending the Spermaceti Whale Fishery.

“In the free element beneath me swam,
Floundered and dived, in play, in chace, in battle,
Fishes of every colour, form, and kind;
Which language cannot paint, and mariner
Had never seen; from dread Leviathan
To insect millions peopling every wave:
Gather’d in shoals immense, like floating islands,
Led by mysterious instincts through that waste
And trackless region, though on every side
Assaulted by voracious enemies,
Whales, sharks, and monsters, arm’d in front or jaw,
With swords, saws, spiral horns, or hooked fangs.”
—Montgomery’s World before the Flood.

“Io! Paean! Io! sing.
To the finny people’s king.
Not a mightier whale than this
In the vast Atlantic is;
Not a fatter fish than he,
Flounders round the Polar Sea.”
—Charles Lamb’s Triumph of the Whale.

>> No.22544628

>>22544624
“In the year 1690 some persons were on a high hill observing the whales spouting and sporting with each other, when one observed: there—pointing to the sea—is a green pasture where our children’s grand-children will go for bread.” —Obed Macy’s History of Nantucket.

“I built a cottage for Susan and myself and made a gateway in the form of a Gothic Arch, by setting up a whale’s jaw bones.” —Hawthorne’s Twice Told Tales.

“She came to bespeak a monument for her first love, who had been killed by a whale in the Pacific ocean, no less than forty years ago.” —Ibid.

“No, Sir, ’tis a Right Whale,” answered Tom; “I saw his sprout; he threw up a pair of as pretty rainbows as a Christian would wish to look at. He’s a raal oil-butt, that fellow!” —Cooper’s Pilot.

“The papers were brought in, and we saw in the Berlin Gazette that whales had been introduced on the stage there.” —Eckermann’s Conversations with Goethe.

“My God! Mr. Chace, what is the matter?” I answered, “we have been stove by a whale.” —“Narrative of the Shipwreck of the Whale Ship Essex of Nantucket, which was attacked and finally destroyed by a large Sperm Whale in the Pacific Ocean.” By Owen Chace of Nantucket, first mate of said vessel. New York, 1821.

“A mariner sat in the shrouds one night,
The wind was piping free;
Now bright, now dimmed, was the moonlight pale,
And the phospher gleamed in the wake of the whale,
As it floundered in the sea.”
—Elizabeth Oakes Smith.
“The quantity of line withdrawn from the boats engaged in the capture of this one whale, amounted altogether to 10,440 yards or nearly six English miles....

“Sometimes the whale shakes its tremendous tail in the air, which, cracking like a whip, resounds to the distance of three or four miles.” —Scoresby.

“Mad with the agonies he endures from these fresh attacks, the infuriated Sperm Whale rolls over and over; he rears his enormous head, and with wide expanded jaws snaps at everything around him; he rushes at the boats with his head; they are propelled before him with vast swiftness, and sometimes utterly destroyed.... It is a matter of great astonishment that the consideration of the habits of so interesting, and, in a commercial point of view, so important an animal (as the Sperm Whale) should have been so entirely neglected, or should have excited so little curiosity among the numerous, and many of them competent observers, that of late years, must have possessed the most abundant and the most convenient opportunities of witnessing their habitudes.” —Thomas Beale’s History of the Sperm Whale, 1839.

>> No.22544630

>>22544628
“The Cachalot” (Sperm Whale) “is not only better armed than the True Whale” (Greenland or Right Whale) “in possessing a formidable weapon at either extremity of its body, but also more frequently displays a disposition to employ these weapons offensively and in manner at once so artful, bold, and mischievous, as to lead to its being regarded as the most dangerous to attack of all the known species of the whale tribe.” —Frederick Debell Bennett’s Whaling Voyage Round the Globe, 1840.

October 13. “There she blows,” was sung out from the mast-head.
“Where away?” demanded the captain.
“Three points off the lee bow, sir.”
“Raise up your wheel. Steady!” “Steady, sir.”
“Mast-head ahoy! Do you see that whale now?”
“Ay ay, sir! A shoal of Sperm Whales! There she blows! There she
breaches!”
“Sing out! sing out every time!”
“Ay Ay, sir! There she blows! there—there—thar she
blows—bowes—bo-o-os!”
“How far off?”
“Two miles and a half.”
“Thunder and lightning! so near! Call all hands.”
—J. Ross Browne’s Etchings of a Whaling Cruize. 1846.
“The Whale-ship Globe, on board of which vessel occurred the horrid transactions we are about to relate, belonged to the island of Nantucket.” —“Narrative of the Globe Mutiny,” by Lay and Hussey survivors. A.D. 1828.

Being once pursued by a whale which he had wounded, he parried the assault for some time with a lance; but the furious monster at length rushed on the boat; himself and comrades only being preserved by leaping into the water when they saw the onset was inevitable.” —Missionary Journal of Tyerman and Bennett.

“Nantucket itself,” said Mr. Webster, “is a very striking and peculiar portion of the National interest. There is a population of eight or nine thousand persons living here in the sea, adding largely every year to the National wealth by the boldest and most persevering industry.” —Report of Daniel Webster’s Speech in the U. S. Senate, on the application for the Erection of a Breakwater at Nantucket. 1828.

“The whale fell directly over him, and probably killed him in a moment.” —“The Whale and his Captors, or The Whaleman’s Adventures and the Whale’s Biography, gathered on the Homeward Cruise of the Commodore Preble.” By Rev. Henry T. Cheever.

“If you make the least damn bit of noise,” replied Samuel, “I will send you to hell.” —Life of Samuel Comstock (the mutineer), by his brother, William Comstock. Another Version of the whale-ship Globe narrative.

“The voyages of the Dutch and English to the Northern Ocean, in order, if possible, to discover a passage through it to India, though they failed of their main object, laid-open the haunts of the whale.” —McCulloch’s Commercial Dictionary.

>> No.22544631

>>22544630
“These things are reciprocal; the ball rebounds, only to bound forward again; for now in laying open the haunts of the whale, the whalemen seem to have indirectly hit upon new clews to that same mystic North-West Passage.” —From “Something” unpublished.

“It is impossible to meet a whale-ship on the ocean without being struck by her near appearance. The vessel under short sail, with look-outs at the mast-heads, eagerly scanning the wide expanse around them, has a totally different air from those engaged in regular voyage.” —Currents and Whaling. U.S. Ex. Ex.

“Pedestrians in the vicinity of London and elsewhere may recollect having seen large curved bones set upright in the earth, either to form arches over gateways, or entrances to alcoves, and they may perhaps have been told that these were the ribs of whales.” —Tales of a Whale Voyager to the Arctic Ocean.

“It was not till the boats returned from the pursuit of these whales, that the whites saw their ship in bloody possession of the savages enrolled among the crew.” —Newspaper Account of the Taking and Retaking of the Whale-Ship Hobomack.

“It is generally well known that out of the crews of Whaling vessels (American) few ever return in the ships on board of which they departed.” —Cruise in a Whale Boat.

“Suddenly a mighty mass emerged from the water, and shot up perpendicularly into the air. It was the whale.” —Miriam Coffin or the Whale Fisherman.

“The Whale is harpooned to be sure; but bethink you, how you would manage a powerful unbroken colt, with the mere appliance of a rope tied to the root of his tail.” —A Chapter on Whaling in Ribs and Trucks.

“On one occasion I saw two of these monsters (whales) probably male and female, slowly swimming, one after the other, within less than a stone’s throw of the shore” (Terra Del Fuego), “over which the beech tree extended its branches.” —Darwin’s Voyage of a Naturalist.

“‘Stern all!’ exclaimed the mate, as upon turning his head, he saw the distended jaws of a large Sperm Whale close to the head of the boat, threatening it with instant destruction;—‘Stern all, for your lives!’” —Wharton the Whale Killer.

“So be cheery, my lads, let your hearts never fail, While the bold harpooneer is striking the whale!” —Nantucket Song.

“Oh, the rare old Whale, mid storm and gale
In his ocean home will be
A giant in might, where might is right,
And King of the boundless sea.”
—Whale Song.

>> No.22544639
File: 8 KB, 261x216, f57.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>22544585
>חו, Hebrew.
What's up with this translation. I tried to look up חו but all the translations say that it means something like "grace" rather than whale.

Can more enlightened anons explain what Melville meant here? Was he just wrong?

>> No.22544684

>>22544444
checked

>> No.22544754
File: 126 KB, 1920x1541, 1680853621912104.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I just read the first chapter Loomings, and as an ESL, this will be hard.

>> No.22545013

Man oh man! I just read the first chapter (and introductions) and boy I am already pumped up to read more. Just the exerts themselves really set the theme and I could not but wonder at the might of the spermaceti whale. And it seems to me, that the 1st chapter is not only Ishmael explaining to us his reasoning for going on the whaling voyage, it is also the author's reasoning to writing the book. He gracefully and with passion sets up also the major themes for the book and in a fabulous display shows his own learnedness, referring to books contemporary and old, the greeks, the bible and so forth. Of course, the prose itself was beautiful, like a prose-poetry of Gogol where you might just read the book for the eloquence of language.
One clearly sees that what follows here is an encyclopedic novel, a true epic.

>> No.22545109

>>22545013
>Man oh man! I just read the first chapter (and introductions) and boy I am already pumped up to read more. Just the exerts themselves really set the theme and I could not but wonder at the might of the spermaceti whale. And it seems to me, that the 1st chapter is not only Ishmael explaining to us his reasoning for going on the whaling voyage, it is also the author's reasoning to writing the book. He gracefully and with passion sets up also the major themes for the book and in a fabulous display shows his own learnedness, referring to books contemporary and old, the greeks, the bible and so forth. Of course, the prose itself was beautiful, like a prose-poetry of Gogol where you might just read the book for the eloquence of language.
>One clearly sees that what follows here is an encyclopedic novel, a true epic.
Wot

>> No.22545343

>>22544486
post a passage you're stuck on and i will break it down for you

>> No.22545382

>>22545343

>It was a queer sort of place—a gable-ended old house, one side palsied as it were, and leaning over sadly. It stood on a sharp bleak corner, where that tempestuous wind Euroclydon kept up a worse howling than ever it did about poor Paul’s tossed craft. Euroclydon,10 nevertheless, is a mighty pleasant zephyr to any one in-doors, with his feet on the hob quietly toasting for bed. “In judging of that tempestuous wind called Euroclydon,” says an old writer—of whose works I possess the only copy extant—“it maketh a marvellous difference, whether thou lookest out at it from a glass window where the frost is all on the outside, or whether thou observest it from that sashless window, where the frost is on both sides, and of which the wight Death is the only glazier.”11 True enough, thought I, as this passage occurred to my mind—old black-letter,12 thou reasonest well. Yes, these eyes are windows, and this body of mine is the house. What a pity they didn’t stop up the chinks and the crannies though, and thrust in a little lint here and there. But it’s too late to make any improvements now. The universe is finished; the copestone is on, and the chips were carted off a million years ago. Poor Lazarus13 there, chattering his teeth against the curbstone for his pillow, and shaking off his tatters with his shiverings, he might plug up both ears with rags, and put a corn-cob into his mouth, and yet that would not keep out the tempestuous Euroclydon. Euroclydon! says old Dives, in his red silken wrapper (he had a redder one afterwards)—pooh, pooh! What a fine frosty night; how Orion glitters; what northern lights!14 Let them talk of their oriental summer climes of everlasting conservatories; give me the privilege of making my own summer with my own coals.

>> No.22545393

>>22545382
Your version seems to have annotations. Those are there for you to read them and understand the references

>> No.22545412

>>22539225
based

>> No.22545644

>>22544434
If today is discussion on extracts and etymology wouldnt the reading for chapter 1 be today, the 29th? Is the chart a day off or am I?

>> No.22545703

>>22545644
This thread is from the 27th. Chapter 1 discussion was the 28th, chapter 2 today on the 29th. I don't think anyone made a Chapter 1 thread.

>> No.22545813

>>22545703
To make a new thread every day would probably be superfluous. Each new chapter doesn't need a separate thread when the thread for the reading group is still up. I just plan to make a new thread every week if the old one is gone

>> No.22545838

In which chapter does Ishmael fuck the whale?

>> No.22546054

>>22545703
Thank you, sorry I must have missed the OP post date. Looking forward to the discussion, I had fun during the war and peace reading.

>> No.22546089

I ordered Moby Dick and I saw this thread right after it arrived. I'll join you guys.

>> No.22546154

>>22545382
my advice when reading Moby Dick at least for the first time, don't obsess too much on every single world and don't look at the writing as if it's a riddle that needs to be solved. Just immerse yourself in the scene and let the language wash over you. In very simplistic terms, he's just talking about the wind being really fucking cold outside and he's pondering the fact that this same biting cold wind feels really comfy from within a warm home. That's the feeling Ishmael has when he enters that shabby old inn.

>> No.22546404

>>22539456
Just continue and read with us at the same time, anon.

>> No.22547680

bump

>> No.22547807

Chapter 3 fuckos. let's do this

>> No.22548034

b-b-bump?

>> No.22548081

>>22544434
>not taking the Lord's day off to just shitpost
The fuck is wrong with you guys

>> No.22548084

>>22544571
Yeah but I internalize it and just start thinking about killing myself

>> No.22548087

>>22544754
Have you tried not being non-white??

>> No.22548614

CHAPTER 3 TODAY! GET YOUR CONDOMS READY FOR SOME SPOUTING AND TOMAHAWKS.

>> No.22548662

>>22545382
>It was a queer sort of place—a gable-ended old house, one side palsied as it were, and leaning over sadly.
The house looked gay. The walls on either end of the house had a triangular portion of wall under the parts where the two slopes of the roof meet (gable-ended). It was also slightly tilt over to the side

>It stood on a sharp bleak corner, where that tempestuous wind Euroclydon kept up a worse howling than ever it did about poor Paul’s tossed craft.
There was a strong wind. Euroclydon references the bold North-Eastern wind that blew in the Mediterranean in the autumn and winter time. The Apostle Paul was once caught in a very fierce storm in the mediterranean one his way to Rome to face charges for his crimes. The winds were so strong that he wound up shipwrecked on an island near Malta.

>Euroclydon,10 nevertheless, is a mighty pleasant zephyr to any one in-doors, with his feet on the hob quietly toasting for bed. “In judging of that tempestuous wind called Euroclydon,” says an old writer—of whose works I possess the only copy extant—“it maketh a marvellous difference, whether thou lookest out at it from a glass window where the frost is all on the outside, or whether thou observest it from that sashless window, where the frost is on both sides, and of which the wight Death is the only glazier.”11
Ishamel is reflecting on how comfy it is to be indoors when the cold windstorms are howling outside and the windows are covered in frost.

>True enough, thought I, as this passage occurred to my mind—old black-letter,12 thou reasonest well. Yes, these eyes are windows, and this body of mine is the house. What a pity they didn’t stop up the chinks and the crannies though, and thrust in a little lint here and there. But it’s too late to make any improvements now. The universe is finished; the copestone is on, and the chips were carted off a million years ago.
To be honest, I don't quite know what he's going for here except maybe bemoaning our inability to prevent the suffering of the world from entering into our knowledge through our eyes.

>> No.22548666

>>22545382
>Poor Lazarus13 there, chattering his teeth against the curbstone for his pillow, and shaking off his tatters with his shiverings, he might plug up both ears with rags, and put a corn-cob into his mouth, and yet that would not keep out the tempestuous Euroclydon. Euroclydon! says old Dives, in his red silken wrapper (he had a redder one afterwards)—pooh, pooh! What a fine frosty night; how Orion glitters; what northern lights!14 Let them talk of their oriental summer climes of everlasting conservatories; give me the privilege of making my own summer with my own coals.
This is a reference to the Parable of the Rich Man and Lazarus from the Bible

>There was a rich man who was dressed in purple and fine linen and who feasted sumptuously every day. And at his gate lay a poor man named Lazarus, covered with sores, who longed to satisfy his hunger with what fell from the rich man's table; even the dogs would come and lick his sores. The poor man died and was carried away by the angels to be with Abraham. The rich man also died and was buried. In Hades, where he was being tormented, he looked up and saw Abraham far away with Lazarus by his side. He called out, 'Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue; for I am in agony in these flames.' But Abraham said, 'Child, remember that during your lifetime you received your good things, and Lazarus in like manner evil things; but now he is comforted here, and you are in agony. Besides all this, between you and us a great chasm has been fixed, so that those who might want to pass from here to you cannot do so, and no one can cross from there to us.' He said, 'Then, father, I beg you to send him to my father's house-- for I have five brothers--that he may warn them, so that they will not also come into this place of torment.' Abraham replied, 'They have Moses and the prophets; they should listen to them.' He said, 'No, father Abraham; but if someone goes to them from the dead, they will repent.' He said to him, 'If they do not listen to Moses and the prophets, neither will they be convinced even if someone rises from the dead.'"

>> No.22549169

The large page count of the book combined with the name is a reference to an extremely large male member.

>> No.22549609

>>22548662
>True enough, thought I, as this passage occurred to my mind—old black-letter,12 thou reasonest well. Yes, these eyes are windows, and this body of mine is the house. What a pity they didn’t stop up the chinks and the crannies though, and thrust in a little lint here and there. But it’s too late to make any improvements now. The universe is finished; the copestone is on, and the chips were carted off a million years ago.

I thought he was reflecting on his own imperfections.

>> No.22549729

I don't know man...I imagined the Spouter-Inn to look a bit different. How do I know this, you might ask, and understandably so. I can even tell you that. There stands, tall and erect on my towering bookshelf, the thick copy of my Moby-Dick, with its stiff covers and white content. Every day I squeeze open the pages, caressing them with my hands, carefully leafing through its contents about spermaceti whales, crossed harpoons, and long tobacco pipes placed in mouth—about harpoons used to toilet one's cheeks and stiff masts on ships and seamen. And so it is that from that book about the gargantual white whale, the spouter of the ocean, I did read about a certain Inn, the Spouter-Inn, which is by no mere happenstance inhabited by seamen of various sizes of colours, all with their long, thick beards. And there we had the gable-ended, which is to say, a triangularly shaped rooftop, inn set in a corner close to the sea...What am I even on about? Go suck some cock.

>> No.22549848

>>22545382
Try the Emily Wilson translation.

Well I say, this here is a very cold wind.
Worse than the mediterranean tempest that once shipwrecked poor apostle Paul's ship.
This brings to mind a passage I once read in an old book that says if you sit inside a house with well-isolated windows
the cold wind is observed much differently than if it were a house with bad isolation.
Why yes, my own eyes are windows of sorts and that body of mine is like a house.
A shame that my body is more akin to the badly isolated house where the cold wind can't be observed in comfort.

>> No.22549910

>Of whaling ships and sailors bold I sing,
>A tale of ocean's depths and dangers bring.
>The Pequod, named for an extinct tribe's name,
>Sets sail from Nantucket with a noble aim.

>In search of whales, great leviathans of sea,
>They roam, as Captain Ahab's heart runs free.
>A man obsessed, he's marked by grievous loss,
>The mighty white whale, Moby-Dick, the cause.

>With harpoon and courage, they seek their prey,
>Through storms and tempests, night and endless day.
>The crew, a motley band from lands afar,
>Each one a soul, a distant, hopeful star.

>Starbuck, the mate, with conscience pure and true,
>Queequeg, the harpooner, of pagan view.
>And Ishmael, the narrator of our tale,
>A humble man, with senses wide and frail.

>Their fates entwined, they journey far and wide,
>To meet with Moby-Dick, the ocean's pride.
>The Pequod sails, its destiny unknown,
>In pursuit of whales, they're bound to be overthrown.

>> No.22550378

>>22549910
pseud

>> No.22550660

The whale is clearly a phallic symbol

>> No.22550719

>>22539207
Lashawnda Lawrence's authoritative Pidgin edition (1999)

>> No.22551355

>>22544444
ch-ch-checked?

>> No.22551770

chapter 4. what a sausage fest

>> No.22551859

So when does the discussion start?

>> No.22551870

>>22544444
Witnessed

>> No.22551973

>stiff mast
>woodcock

>> No.22551983

>>22551859
it's mostly on discord

>> No.22552006
File: 107 KB, 521x845, c4p1.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'll post the chapter 4 here because it is not too long.

>> No.22552009
File: 95 KB, 501x854, c4p2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>22552006

>> No.22552012
File: 99 KB, 502x848, c4p3.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>22552009

>> No.22552015
File: 98 KB, 518x858, c4p4.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>22552012

>> No.22552032

Chapter 4 is usually dubbed the gay chapter although I don't see why that same name can't be used for many other chapters (10, 11, 94). While the most pro-homosexual reader can (and most likely will) interpret every slight hint as a long encounter of homosexual orgies between men where bodily fluids are changed in various positions until both party's sexual urges are satisfied, the more moderate reader will notice that it is not the case of any homosexuality at all in chapter 4 but rather ignorance on part of Ishmael not knowing that his bedfellow comes from a background of Pacific Islanders where homosexuality (GAY!) is not condemned. Furthermore, Ishmael goes on a long explanation about a traumatic encounter in his childhood about a hand that keeps touching him as he is in bed so one cannot read this chapter as them having had lustful homosexual sodomy encounter. Additionally, Ishmael then tries to get rid of this massive hand. If he was a gay (homosexual!) man who had just had the most outrageous assfucking during that night without pause (even though Ishmael says in previous chapter that he has never slept better in his life, suggesting a pauseless sleep) he would have welcomed that large muscular man which lay on him. But this was not the case. Ishmael is a good God-fearing believer and has nothing to do with Sodom and Gomorrah even if he has a tendency to make everything into a pun about cocks.

>> No.22552043

>>22539228
This

>> No.22552182

>>22552032
>not knowing that his bedfellow comes from a background of Pacific Islanders where homosexuality (GAY!) is not condemned.
Where did you get that idea from? Tribal people have extremely strict and clearly defined gender roles and would have been far less tolerant towards gay people than even 19th century Americans and Europeans. I doubt Queequeg would hve had any idea what a gay person even is. The thought of having sex with another man wouldn't even cross his mind it's so out of his world and that's why he's so comfortable lying in bed with another man.

>> No.22552220

>>22552182
>Chapter 10 Paragraph 7
>If there yet lurked any ice of indifference towards me in the Pagan’s breast, this pleasant, genial smoke we had, soon thawed it out, and left us cronies. He seemed to take to me quite as naturally and unbiddenly as I to him; and when our smoke was over, he pressed his forehead against mine, clasped me round the waist, and said that henceforth we were married; meaning, in his country’s phrase, that we were bosom friends; he would gladly die for me, if need should be. In a countryman, this sudden flame of friendship would have seemed far too premature, a thing to be much distrusted; but in this simple savage those old rules would not apply.

>> No.22552278

>>22552182
Tribes people are extremely diverse in their ethics and mores. Far too many older anthropologists made serious blunders in trying to generalize them. The diversity is really astonishing.

>> No.22552287

>>22539198
>It's a terrible piece of literature.
Twas a bore I tell you, it went on and on. I something'd dourly but who cares. I don't. This is the next page. Look a dour protestant on a boat. Will it never end.

>> No.22552469

>>22552220
>meaning, in his country’s phrase, that we were bosom friends; he would gladly die for me, if need should be
That sentence is supposed to mean that Queequeg doesn't know the correct word. That he uses "married" is supposed to be comedic, as Melville pretty clearly describes that Queequeg's idea of what "married" means is nothing like what it actually means. It's one of many weird things Ishmael observes Queequeg do.
As Ishmael puts it "he was just civilized enough to show off his outlandishness in the strangest of manners"

If you genuinely think Queequeg used the term "married" in a manner that implies romantic or sexual attraction towards Ishmael, you are seriously autistic or you suffer from political mindrot.

>> No.22552517

>>22552469
You are right. I was wrong. After posting my comment I immediately realised my mistake. What you said is exactly what I thought.

>> No.22552565

>>22552182
Bruh….

>Moe aikāne refers to intimate relationships between partners of the same gender, known as aikāne, in pre-colonial Hawaiʻi.

>The word and social category of aikāne refers to: ai or intimate sexual relationship; and kāne or male/husband.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moe_aik%C4%81ne

>> No.22552577

>>22552565
What the fuck is that supposed to prove? Saudi Arabia and Iran also have words for homosexuality, does that now prove that they openly condone it or something? What an idiotic argument to make.

>> No.22552589

>>22552577
Based argument-disprover.

>> No.22552592

>>22552577
Did you read the article? Captain Cook and his crew documented as widely and openly part of the culture so much that the King of Hawaii asked him to leave one of his crew behind for him personally (which was declined despite being considered a great honor).

>> No.22552602

>>22552592
>declined
Based gay-honour decliner

>> No.22552618

>>22552602
>Captain Cook’s crew witnessed this society in 1778 and kept detailed journals. They learned of concubines (often male) whose business, as the journals put it, “is to commit the Sin of Onan upon the old King” “It is an office that is esteemed honorable among them,” continued the shocked log writer, “and they have frequently asked us on seeing a handsome young fellow if he was not an Ikany [Aikane] to some of us.”

>> No.22552630

>>22552592
>why don't you leave this femboy crew mate of yours behind as the King's sex slave. It's a great honor to be a male sex slave in our culture. Yes, yes, great honor, trust us.

>> No.22552635 [DELETED] 

>>22552618
They saw as more like a spouse. The relationship is a lifetime bond generally formed between adolescent boys and persisting until death.

>> No.22552638

>>22552630
They saw as more like a spouse. The relationship is a lifetime bond generally formed between adolescent boys and persisting until death. The King asked the specific crew member he had a crush on to stay behind with him

>> No.22552650

>>22552618
This just sounds like one king abusing his power by gaslighting his subordinates. Also just because the king managed to make them believe that serving him sexually is a "great honor" doesn't imply that now they all think performing the same sexual acts of submission for any other man is equally honorable. For instance, we can all agree that the king himself wouldn't have seen it as honorable to go down on his knees and suck off ol captain cook's crooked cock in front of all his tribesmen, right? so cleary the "honor" here is an act of submission and servitude towards the highest authority figure of that tribe, not that the act in general is seen as honorable.

Either way, this argument is fucking stupid because Queequeg and Ishmael aren't gay and it's pathetic that you keep trying to derail the thread with that shit.

>> No.22553032

>>22552650
But all the cock jokes? Melville obviously only things about sucking wiener.

>> No.22553481

Discord gay

>> No.22553709

>>22553481
There's better discussion than in this shitty thread, cunt.

>> No.22554010

>>22552006
>>22552009
>>22552012
>>22552015
Thanks

>> No.22555660

Chapter 5 today

>> No.22555695

>>22544434
Siri, set a reminder for December 30th.

>> No.22555775

>>22553481
ur mums gay

>> No.22555780

bump

>> No.22555831

>>22553709
Why even make a thread on /lit/ if your main goal was to discuss the book on Discord in the first place? I really hope the people on Discord just stay on Discord and the posters on /lit/ who are interested in this deep read just make the best they can out of what they've got. If it's 80% penis jokes and discussion about how gay Melville was, then so be it, but I fucking hate this thing Discord users are always doing where they try to split the community by pretending the real discussion is happening over there and you're missing out if you aren't on Discord as well.

>> No.22555899

>>22555831
He’s not the OP, I am. No intention of sabotage of this thread happened, I don’t think. I did reading groups for many other works including Dante and Homer and they all died as I effort posted. It seems this one would have died as well without all the shitposting. It can’t be helped. If I put a lot more effort posting in here it would only kill the thread faster as I find nothing deters people from threads on :lit/ more than having to read long OP’s

>> No.22555939

chapter 5 eh? niggros.
so why are all the people on the table were silent?

>> No.22555983

>>22555939
They are all out of their element on shore. They are all hungover. It is Sunday. They are exhausted after a night of homosexual acts. Also, everyone of them probably bought head from Queerqueg.

>> No.22556035

>>22555983
too much buttsex? exhausted dopamine receptors?

>> No.22556040

>>22555983
so queerqueg would go under the bed to wear his boots but he'll sleep with a man(probably naked)?

>> No.22556060

>>22556040
It is explained literally after he is said to have been putting his boots on.
>"But Queequeg, do you see, was a..."

>> No.22556158

>>22549609
could be

could be

>> No.22556164

>>22552577
Not the best example since pederasty was openly practised in both of those places during their decadent golden ages

>> No.22556170

>>22552618
is Ikany a means of acquiring/receiving Mana? It would be consistent with the Hawaiian attitudes towards the vital life energies.

>> No.22556411
File: 808 KB, 869x1921, Screenshot_20231002_125823_Samsung Notes.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>22555939

>> No.22556831

bump for muh-dick

>> No.22556835

>>22555831
that's just retarded

>> No.22557408
File: 78 KB, 361x265, 1694395084836462.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>1 chapter behind
Go on without me bros, I will never catch up.

>> No.22557843

>>22557408
C'mon anon, it's just 20 pages....

>> No.22557871

>>22557408
Today's chapter is a freebie (chapter 5). You'll catch up easily.

>> No.22558120

>>22557408
Many of the chapters after the long one are only couple of pages. Get your act together.