[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 381 KB, 725x900, 1250934447580.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2258237 No.2258237 [Reply] [Original]

Hello everyone. I have just about finished a fantasy novel I've been working on for many years. I'm not here to get critique, talk about my book, my skill as a writer or anything of the like. I just wanted to ask your opinion on something.

http://www.ces.sdsu.edu/Pages/Engine.aspx?id=735

What do you make of this? Have any of you been to this or something similar? Is it worth the $400-$650 (those are the admission fees)? What is it like? I live about an hour or so away and getting the money for it is going to be tough, but if it's worth it I'll do so. What does everyone think?

Again, I'm coming here just to ask a humble question, not argue, so any helpful or encouraging information would really be appreciated. Thank you very much for your time.

>> No.2258245

since you won't even post a chapter from it you're obviously just blogging

fuck off

>> No.2258257

>>2258245

Blogging? That doesn't really make sense. It's not completely done yet and I'm still editing the final draft or I probably would.

Again, please... I'm not here to talk about my book or talk about how worthy I am or am not. I'm just curious about this writers conference.

>> No.2258976

bump.

>> No.2258983

Do it.

Next.

>> No.2259089

My honest opinion is that you should submit your manuscript as widely as possible. If you feel ready for an agent, then hire one. Good luck.

>> No.2259752

Sorry, on my laptop so not using my trip.

>>2259089

Indeed, the only thing is I don't think I'll be able to completely finish the manuscript in time for the deadline. The fee's have to be paid by January 3rd with the first 10 pages ready by then and the manuscript ready by the 27th. I've got about 700 pages left in my final draft and I really take my time in my writing, if I rush things my story seems to go awry.

Do you guys think going to this without a full manuscript would be beneficial?

I've put a lot of effort, just about every minute of my spare time into my writing for the past five years. I'm not expecting anything, but I would love to some day make my living as a writer. I've been through some very unique circumstances in life and from them have gained a big imagination. I just want to use it for something in life.

Thank you very much for your post, I appreciate it.

>> No.2259834

It would probably make things more interesting if you posted a sample of your work. Considering how seriously you're taking this it seems you're a serious writer, and it would be beyond neat to read something you've written. Just something to consider.

>> No.2259929

>>2259834

I may, I'm just so incredibly self conscious. I try to stay positive and I don't mind critique but people around here can be really harsh and downright insulting at times. I don't have much in life. I have a lot of mental instabilities that make it where I'm unable to work and hold down a job properly. I've put all my effort, energy and hope into becoming a writer. All my heart and soul, the essence of my being. I've been through some unusual, unique and amazing situations in life. I don't think I'm any better or more special than anyone else, I just think I've garnished an overactive imagination and love telling stories. I've never had any other talents in life and fall short in everything else, I just want to put this to use, or at least try. I know I'm another nobody but whether it happens or not, I've decided to not give up.

My book is a fantasy novel that is quite unique both in plot and setting. I get tired of seeing all the over copied high fantasies one after the other. I want to see something new and fresh in the world of literature and story telling in general.

>> No.2260279

>>2259929
Got a pseudonym being used so one could possibly Google your name in a year or so periodically to see your success?

I know I'm late on here but maybe you're still checking this. Don't read the testimonies on the site, but more read the works by the authors of the testimonies. See if they're any good. Then if you can happen to find like a "people who have gone on to publish their works beyond this conference" kind of list somewhere on the internet, read those works too. Not a direct relation to the quality of the conference, but if they flat out suck to you, then maybe more is going on with those works than a hopelessly bad author. And if you see a consistency of strong areas throughout works like plot, setting, sentences, etc (even if the works themselves aren't too good as a whole) then maybe there is something to this conference.

>> No.2260359

>>2260279

I'll do some research indeed, still looking for opinions and maybe anyone who's been to such a thing will chime in. I'm also wondering from the description of this conference if it'll be worth my time should my final draft not be completed by time of the conference (January 27th).

Thanks for the reply, as far as my story goes, maybe I should start using an alias? Although some one said my real name would be a great name for an Author. All three of my names are very old British and rhyme.

>> No.2261631

Bumping for more opinions and advice.