[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 69 KB, 392x248, you-are-not-so-smart.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2265235 No.2265235 [Reply] [Original]

So /lit/ I am thinking of writing a book but I am not all that creative, got any help?

Also You Are Not So Smart. Discuss.

>> No.2265241

>>2265235
Why write a book if you're not creative?

>> No.2265245

>>2265241
Well I am creative it's just I don't know how to execute that creativity too well.

>> No.2265248

Creativity is a skill unteachable. Sorry.

>> No.2265250

>>2265245
Read a lot and write a lot. Creativity should flow naturally then.

>> No.2265254

Things like names I can never seem to come up with for stories. I can think of narratives but not the characters.

>> No.2265260

>>2265248

You are a fool. Creativity dwells latent within us all

>> No.2265264

>>2265254

So define your characters by their professions, their favourite colours, a virtue or a vice, an inanimate object etc

>> No.2265271

>>2265264
>>2265254

Exactly. You're problem is you seem to be creating names for a name's sake. Names are tools in literature. You can use them to show something about the character. You can allude to anything really with a name... mythology, religion, culture etc.

Think about what is a certain character does or believes and think about characters you know of, from history (literary, political, cultural or otherwise) and see if any fit the bill. Don't be too obvious though. You know... don't go calling your protag Hamlet because it'll give it away. Or perhaps do call him Hamlet to build some preconceptions and then switch it on the reader. You can do so much with a name. Though sometimes a name is just a name. Mix it up.

>> No.2265276

>>2265260

My point still remains. You may become more creative over time, drawing ideas from your experiences.

>> No.2265280
File: 313 KB, 854x1200, frank_frazetta_devils_generation.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I disagree with >>2265248

I believe it can be taught. Its a matter of distilling and analyzing the things you find important in a character or story. Through this you can further break down the things you like to their most core components and from that find what has held your interest about that character or idea.

Lets us a visual example of the Gieger Alien for 'Alien'

I think it looks cool. So I ask what about it is cool? I like its bio-mechanical tubes and strange sightless head and spines. Then I ask why? I say because I like the strange repetition and aerodynamic head.

I keep breaking these componets down in to what I like about it till I'm down to a set of simple traits. From there I can take other unrelated things and combine with it the traits I like.

For instance I like cigar chomping characters, I then mix that with a sightless monster and you then have a strange creature that could have human traits.

Bare in mind these are VERY SIMPLE ways of handling this. Just be extremely honest why you like something and don't be ashamed to use that for that reason. And as they always say: Emulation over imitation.

>> No.2265282

>>2265260

Maybe that is so. You know what Edison said right 'genius is 1% and 99% perspiration' and all that. Many will never ever realise the potential of their vast creativity in their entire lives. Many will struggle for years and only realise their very limited creativity.

Maybe creativity is with us all, but it is only to some degree in each of us. Some people will never, no matter the effort, write anything particularly good. That's not to say don't try though. It should be every man's moral imperative to try and realise whatever potential they have.

I think that's what you were getting at.

>> No.2265289

Start small.

You can't run before you walk.

Start with short stories. Improve them, show them to your friends and get feedback.

You should never go into a story with an idea of it being a novel. Just write. It takes practice.

>> No.2265292

>>2265289
This.

>> No.2265293

Creativity is one feet. Originality is another.

>> No.2265308

On the topic of names, I like to use professions for minor characters and historical figures as main characters.

Archer/Fletcher - someone usually witty and sharp (like an arrow)
Miller - slow and contemplative
Farmer - plants ideas (like a farmer plants seeds)
Smith - makes the best with what they have

Just some off the top of my head, and of course you can alter to language to fit the setting (Farmer = Bauer in German)

>> No.2265335

.>>2265308

>Farmer - plants ideas (like a farmer plants seeds)

hahaha. brilliant

>> No.2265351
File: 30 KB, 320x307, 1315633879936.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I tend to do my names by ethnic break down. I also try to find old names that don't get much press.

>> No.2265375

>>2265351
Friend makes short films, he likes to give his characters slightly odd/amusing names (and usually similar dialogue) while sticking in them in what should be serious, but cliche situations.

For example,
"My god. I never thought I'd see your sorry face again,Jacques "
"CELEB, we meet AGAIN."
"I'll never forgive you for ridding me of my beloved partner"
"Garith is gone Celeb, you have to learn to live with that"
"LEARN TO LIVE WITH THIS!!"
[Celeb shoots Jacques in the face]

[Single tear roll down Celeb's cheek in slowmotion, fades to black and white]

>> No.2265382
File: 18 KB, 379x214, 1314413784596.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2265375
...awesome.