[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 16 KB, 387x259, 12 years.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2311800 No.2311800 [Reply] [Original]

I'm reading through all the Nebula winners in chronological order that I haven't already in my general reading
Up to Ringworld by Larry Niven
It is pretty meh - how did this win Nebula and Hugo and Locus and so many other acolades?

>> No.2311805

Major literary awards have their off years and their faddish obsessions and sometimes they all coincide. Or, you've missed something in your reading.

Haven't read it yet, though I hope to pursue a similar challenge.

How has it been overall?

>> No.2311807

It is an award that gave The Windup Girl, Seeker and Camoflage the Best Novel awards. Taking it seriously is opening yourself up to all sorts of criticism.

Asimov, Dick, Mieville, Le Guin.

Gives you the entire spectrum and over several decades.

>> No.2311813

>>2311805
>Or, you've missed something in your reading.
it reads like an old fashioned golden era pulp magazine story, the story of drab dry colourless engineering-heavy piece the editor john w. campbell was publishing every month in numerous magazines
>>2311807
better gauge than the hugos, the peoples choice awards

>> No.2311836

I enjoyed them.

Wanna read something weird that got an award read "The dragon masters" a hugo winner.

Also gauging old sci fi based on awards is a terrible choice as a ton of awesome books never even got noticed for awards.

>> No.2311865

>>2311836
When you say it's weird, do you mean it's bad? Because reading a bit of the synopsis makes it seem charming and fun, if a bit strange.