[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 87 KB, 578x779, portrait.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2795873 No.2795873[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

What does /lit/ think of Wuthering Heights?

>> No.2795875

There is an abortion nearby.
(PUNCHES YOU IN TUMMY)

Woops!

>> No.2795877

Why is your cunty lips bubbling a blood bubble?
Omg did your water break?

Oops... I guess it broke a little more than expected.

>> No.2795882

Holy smokes let me touch your breasts.
Mmm is this skim or 2%

Its soy!?!!?!!?!

>> No.2795903

>>2795873
Emily Brontë can go suck a dick

Pointless interrelationships and overly depressive set pieces.

Read it not to love it, but because your high school English teacher thinks it's the best book under the sun and you really want that A

>> No.2795909

What exactly do you mean when you say "set pieces"? I completely understand the interrelationship aspect.

>> No.2795912

>>2795903
I'm glad my English teacher just had as watch the movie rather than read the book.

>> No.2795923

>>2795909
The two houses and the cast of people within them, the cemetery, the vast moor separating the two houses.

Too much doom and gloom for my liking. Pretty sure Brontë had major depression when she wrote that book.

Not my favourite book, but certain personalities seem drawn to it for one reason or another.

>> No.2795959

She is a woman.

>> No.2796010

I'm reading it now. I like it, it is very dark, but the way it is written has slowed my reading down. There are a lot of things which aren't clear, because of an assumed knowledge of the time. The is a really good movie that was only made a couple of years ago, it really captures the feeling of the moors and how bleak they were.

>> No.2796019

Had to read it for AP English back in high school and was surprised to find I loved it. I think that was when I started to realize I had a thing for melodrama.

>> No.2796029

>>2796010
For books that aren't clear because the writer assumed their audience would understand the time period and for this reason left out basic information, read the Collins Classics versions. They have a glossary and background information about the author, time, etc. at the back of the book.

Collins > Penguin.

>> No.2796030

>>2796029

>MUH PROJECT GUTENBERG

>> No.2796035

>>2796030
Huh?

>> No.2796045

>>2796030
>mfw my old math tutor from high school works with project guttenburg
>mfw I always got dat advance notice on which books were being put up

>> No.2796049
File: 55 KB, 500x500, Wuthering Heights - The Shadow Cabinet.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

well it's a good (although cheesy as fuck) band

>> No.2796155

It was difficult to understand some of the wording, written how it was, and the POV, as I was never sure who was narrating. I wouldn't read it again, but I can understand how at the time it differred from the stereotypical sort of romance by making everyone a cunt.

>> No.2796243

I quite enjoyed Wuthering Heights. Emily Brontë was totally fucking crackers, without a doubt, all her ideas are nonsense, but at least I think they're more stimulating and interesting nonsense than most of her contemporaries.

In place of the dreary moralising of most Victorian authors, Wuthering Heights depicts wild passion and amoral impulsiveness, and ultimately portrays those qualities in a more sympathetic light than their antitheses. I don't think there's much profundity in that, but I do think it makes for an engaging read. There's also plenty of good imagery and as an evocation of the setting it definitely succeeds.

I'd be suspicious of anybody who takes the book too seriously, but basically I liked it.

>> No.2796284

>>2796243
>pseudointellectual detected

>> No.2796285

>>2796284

Are you 14? That was a fine (if mildly contentious) post.

>> No.2796290

No book has ever made me more angry than Wuthering Heights. Not because it's a bad book, but that's simply the emotion it evoked in me more than any other. I respect it for its power in that regard, but I'd rather not read it again.

>> No.2796306

>>2796284

>browse /lit/
>somebody stating opinions on a book
>LOL HE THINKS HE'S SMART

>> No.2796326

One of my favourites. Had to read it for high school and was completely suprised by it.

>> No.2797236

It's a sick book bruv, even if EB was a closet nigger lover.

>> No.2797300

Completely hated this book in high school, for the reason that I was told these characters were supposed to be romantic and sympathetic, but by the end I just wanted to murder every single one of them. Heathcliff was the original Mr. Grey.