[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 20 KB, 460x276, Marcel-Proust-001.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2986119 No.2986119[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

So I just finished Swann's Way and I can't say that I hated it, but I certainly didn't love the experience as to make it a page turner. Was thinking about setting down In Search of Lost Time for a bit, not rush the whole thing, read something else before Within a Budding Grove. But, to those who've read the entire Search, is Swann's Way indicative of the whole experience, or does it get more engaging somewhere along the way, and, if so, when? Merci.

>> No.2986126

>to those who've read the entire Search
>implying

>> No.2986134

Haven't read it yet but I hear there's lesbians
So if you're male you could like that

>> No.2986140

It doesn't suddenly change in style or plotting. It shifts from Swann more to the narrator's life but he doesn't fight Nazis or search for the Holy Grail. If you want to read more about jealousy and art and loving ones grandmother keep going.

>> No.2986149

I began reading it a couple of times when I was 17-18, but couldn't really process it. Tried again when I was 26 and it was smashing.

>> No.2986153

read it and it depressed me highly

so fuck it

>> No.2986176

I seriously thought that was Jake Gyllenhaal.

>> No.2986179

I read the first three and found them pretty similar. Enjoyed them though.
My brother read the whole thing and swears blind that one of the later volumes is a real page turner, though I have my doubts.