[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 15 KB, 220x318, 220px-Martin_Heidegger.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3181980 No.3181980 [Reply] [Original]

i want to read these philosophers:
Hegel
Schopenhauer
Nietzche
Kierkegaard
Heidegger
Sartre

In what order should I read these? What are the ESSENTIAL prerequisites for each of these?
> inb4 naming every fucking philosopher, I don't have time for that shit right now

thank you

>> No.3181991

You have to study the Greeks for 15 years first.

>> No.3181994

Learn greek, then read only the Greeks for exactly 15 years.

>> No.3181997

I'd spend anywhere between 14 and 16 years closely examining Greek philosophers before tackling any of them OP

>> No.3182004

Probably 15 years on the Pre-Socratics before reading anything else.

>> No.3182007

15 greeks

>> No.3182010

I'd look into the greeks first, op. there is probably a good 15 years worth of reading to get your body ready.

>> No.3182017

Actually you should study the Greeks for about 15 years.

>I don't have time for that shit right now
Well if you're not up for that investment. I recommend you to maybe read "very short introductions" by Oxford press on Existentialism. Look up the authors on PhilosophyBro, read all the stuff that comes before these philosophers on http://sqapo.com/index.htm.. listen to Partiallyexaminedlife.com. And by then you'll realize it's inevitable to put in the 15 years of studying the Greeks.

>> No.3182023
File: 55 KB, 2012x1772, Unit Circle.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Schopenauer
Essays and Aphorisms (Penguin Classics)
>Nietzsche
The Birth of Tragedy, The Twilight of the Idols, On the Genealogy of Morals, Ecce Homo, Beyond Good & Evil, and Thus Spoke Zarathustra
>Kierkegaard
The Essential Kierkegaard (Princeton University Press)
>Heidegger
Basic Writings, What Is Called Thinking?, Being and Time
>Sartre
Existentialism Is a Humanism and Being and Nothingness

Sorry, I never really got into Hegel.

I also recommend Irrational Man: A Study in Existential Philosophy by William Barrett.

>> No.3182048

>>3181980
What's your background in philosophy? Have you read any philosophy before? Why these specific authors?

>> No.3182051

Plato, Aristotle, Augustine, Aquinas, Descartes, maybe Spinoza, Kant. Then Hegel -> Nietzsche and Kierkegaard -> Heidegger. Don't bother with Sartre or Schopenhauer. Maybe get Husserl in there too.

& you should have a real understanding of each of these philosophers before moving on to the next, if you want to be really serious about this - (which I doubt you do) - and which means really examining and thinking about each thinker, reading secondary literature on their work, etc. And none of these guys are really "easy". This, again, is if you really want to take this seriously instead of fucking around - which is fine, if you just want to provoke some thoughts. There's nothing wrong with that.

>> No.3182055
File: 105 KB, 453x664, schopenhauer dog 1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Just read Kant, then Schopenhauer and Kierkegaard - maybe Nietzsche and then move on to Heidegger - then realize that Schopenhauer is the greatest mind of all time and study him relentlessly