[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 29 KB, 315x475, 1354118093962[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3188328 No.3188328 [Reply] [Original]

Is it difficult to understand this book without notes?

Is it a good introduction to Jammy Joyce?

>> No.3188330

Yes x2

>> No.3188331

>Is it difficult to understand this book without notes?
You should be able to mostly get it, there's just some cultural things you'll miss out on mostly. It's not too bad from that point of view.
>Is it a good introduction to Jammy Joyce?
Yes.

>> No.3188387

Nope, not hard. Though the prose does get progressively more difficult to read as the main character grows older and wiser. I know they're ugly, but the Penguin Modern Classics edition has useful notes in it. you'll probably use them sparingly, I used them for some historical context mostly. I didn't need to know where every landmark or street was situated in order to enjoy the book.

And yes, it's a great intro. Dubliners is even more accessible, though.

>> No.3190703

Portrait? No. You may need to take your time with it though. But you definitely don't need notes. It was my first encounter with Joyce. A lot of people woud say to start with Dubliners. It makes sense, but I personally think it would have bored me if I hadn't read Portrait first.

If you're really worried, though, read Re Joyce by Anthony Burgess (or Hell, make use of Sparknotes or something like it - just make sure you're actually doing the actual reading with care).