[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 253 KB, 500x334, 6a00d8341bf7f753ef00e54f401d048834-800wi.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3222898 No.3222898 [Reply] [Original]

Had /lit/ read much literature in a non-native language? What's it like?

Does anyone couple language-learning with literature?

>> No.3222906

Never an entire book, but I have tried to read Spanish poetry, especially Pablo Neruda (I'm a native English speaker). My knowledge of Spanish is still very basic.

Generally it's very difficult yet rewarding. Many times when reading or hearing spanish I try to just translate it in my head to English. Anyone who appreciates poetry knows that to do that would greatly change the poem and its meaning and effects. I have to understand what is being said, but the meaning must come from the words themselves and not their English counterpart. I have to pay attention to how the words sound and feel. This ultimately gives the reader a more profound sense of the language and brings them closer to seeing its words as being imbued with meaning and not just strange sounds that need to be translated.

>> No.3222907
File: 341 KB, 500x375, Costanza bat.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.3222914

99% of my readings are not in my native language.
it's not the best thing ever, but gives you a different perspective.

>> No.3222917

I'm Finnish and I read English and Swedish books regularly (English for stuff like Joyce, Faulkner, Steinbeck etc, Swedish for lighter detective books), and I've also started reading books in Spanish recently.

It's really easy, honestly. Started reading in English when I was ten or something and The Order of Phoenix came out and I couldn't wait for the translation. You get the knack of it really easily.

>> No.3222918

>>3222906

My nigga.

I'm also reading Neruda's poems in Spanish, with the English translation on the opposite page.

"Cuerpo de Mujer" is fucking amazing.

I plan to move onto Borges, Parra, Fuentes, Llosa et al next.

>> No.3222921

I've read every text ever written, in its original language.

Including the Epic of Gilgamesh, the Egyptian Book of the Dead, the Torah, et al.

>> No.3223406

Lol who needs other languages than English, others will die sooner or later