[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 90 KB, 1200x1600, the-satanic-bible-front-cover.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3346888 No.3346888 [Reply] [Original]

Thought's on the Satanic Bible?

>> No.3346904

>tfw my father had the satanic bible, but it was before I was really interested in literature and he doesn't have it anymore.
It's the little things, really, that make me want to break my own fingers.

>> No.3346905

1. Satan represents indulgence instead of abstinence.
2. Satan represents vital existence instead of spiritual pipe dreams.
3. Satan represents undefiled wisdom instead of hypocritical self-deceit,
4. Satan represents kindness to those who deserve it, not love wasted on ingrates.
5. Satan represents vengeance instead of turning the other cheek,
6. Satan represents responsibility to the responsible instead of concern for psychic vampires,
7. Satan represents man as just another animal, sometimes better, more often worse than those that walk on all-fours, who, because of his “divine spiritual and intellectual development,” has become the most vicious animal of all,
8. Satan represents all of the so-called sins, as they all lead to physical, mental, or emotional gratification,
9. Satan has been the best friend the Church has ever had, as He has kept it in business all these years.

>> No.3346903

Interesting philosophy, but stupidly moronic at parts. Anyone that take it seriously is foolish. It mostly feels like the inner thoughts of a high school Dungeons and Dragons player who gets picked on over and over in some parts.

>> No.3346908

I thought it was cool as fuck when I was a butthurt 16 year old. Now I just think it's really fucking meh. Interesting premise drawn out and poorly explored. It's basically 'take Christian ideals and do the opposite'.

also
>thought's

wut

>> No.3346910

so edgy

>> No.3346931

It does definitely has it flaws yet does it now have a great deal of good moral views? Would you put it in a "should read" category if it was about life choices and morals? If so which book would be the must read of philosophy?

>> No.3346932

La Vey worked as a carney. and it shows.

"Step right up, folks.. got your universal truths right here."

>> No.3346938
File: 61 KB, 420x650, cover_lg.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Read The Principia Discordia instead:

"The religion has been likened to Zen, based on similarities with absurdist interpretations of the Rinzai school, as well as Taoist philosophy. Discordianism is centered on the idea that both order and disorder are illusions imposed on the universe by the human nervous system, and that neither of these illusions of apparent order and disorder is any more accurate or objectively true than the other."

"We look at the world through windows on which have been drawn grids (concepts). Different philosophies use different grids. A culture is a group of people with rather similar grids. Through a window we view chaos, and relate it to the points on our grid, and thereby understand it. Western philosophy is traditionally concerned with contrasting one grid with another grid, and amending grids in hopes of finding a perfect one that will account for all reality and will, hence, (say unenlightened westerners) be true. This is illusory. Some grids can be more useful than others, some more beautiful than others, some more pleasant than others, etc., but none can be more True than any other."

"Disorder is simply unrelated information viewed through some particular grid. But, like "relation", no-relation is a concept. Male, like female, is an idea about sex. To say that male-ness is "absence of female-ness", or vice versa, is a matter of definition and metaphysically arbitrary. The point is that truth is a matter of definition relative to the grid one is using at the moment, and that Truth, metaphysical reality, is irrelevant to grids entirely. Pick a grid, and through it some chaos appears ordered and some appears disordered. Pick another grid, and the same chaos will appear differently ordered and disordered."

All Hail Eris Discordia [/Spoiler]

>> No.3346959

>>3346903
>>3346908
>>3346910

Stop letting 4chan control how you think.

>> No.3346963

>>3346959
I am but only looking for people´s opinion on the book, due to me wondering if it´s worth the read or not. I will probably end up reading it anyhow

>> No.3347118

>>3346888
It's sort of a sensationalist mix of Rand and Ragnar Redbeard with a few bits of Freddy thrown in. I bet Lavey couldn't even into Stirner.

>> No.3347142

>>3346959
wut?

>> No.3347148

Good concepts masked under teenage garbage.

>> No.3347151

>>3347142
He's probably talking about the "so edgy/maybe if you're 15" speak that 90% of the users adopt when they start posting here.

>> No.3347161

Satanism < Luciferianism

>> No.3347179

LaVey's Satanic Bible was a very good read and it shaped the way I think greatly. I find LaVey to be the most important 20th century moral philosopher, if only because his conclusions on the human condition were so poignant that they manage to act as predictors of the future.

>> No.3347189

>>3347179
You know there was pretty much nothing original about the guy's thought, right? He's like the Deepak Chopra of the dark side.

>> No.3347207

>>3347189
What separates LaVey from other like-minded philosophers is that his philosophy is compounded, modernized, and made as a practical utility. LaVey creates a framework in his Satanic Bible that posits a sort of moral tableau which can be appropriated as an extension of the mind. You can't say that about someone like Nietzsche or Kierkegaard.

>> No.3347212

it's like if ayn rand listened to the cure a bunch

>> No.3348373

>>3347189
> browse /lit/
> 'Deepak Chopra of the dark side'
> chuckle

>> No.3348376

>>3346888

I read it purely out of interest and found it comparatively fun. And I mean in comparison to the other Bibles.

>> No.3350253
File: 42 KB, 721x639, 23456765432.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Be 19
>Be on holiday at party destination with friends
>Had dropped LSD, picked up a girl at club and fucked her in the week prior
>Walking around alone
>Come across a small bookstore
>Stoner owner hasa chat with me about drugs, books and life
>Recommends a few books for me:
-Discourse on methods and meditations : Descrates
-Politics of ecstasy : Leary
- The birth of tradegy : Nietzsche
>He pulls out the satanic bible
>"Yeah this is a great book on existentialism"
>Take them home
>Start reading TSB
>This a kinda cool look on human nature
>Make it halfway
>Spells in a dead language
>What, why?

>> No.3350262

>>3350253
>Discourse on the Methods
He truly was a stoner.

>> No.3350314

>>3350253
that fucking killed me too. 'yeah okay, you got thoughts bro.. now what is this?'

maybe it's just having a flair for the dramatic

>> No.3350323

rushdie's a visionary

>> No.3350332

It's worth a read as an introduction to philosophy. Reading this lead me towards looking into Nietzsche and Freud. Heck, you can even tell that he borrowed some from Rand. If you look at it as a pretty accessible introduction to Philosophy with a gimmicky title, then I'd say go for it by all means. If you want a serious read, then I'd advise you to look towards his inspirations.

>> No.3350673

No mention of Might is Right?
The vocabulary is pretty intense, so if you're looking to up your Scrabble game, read it. Other then that, meh.

>> No.3350690
File: 40 KB, 300x465, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Pick this up instead