[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 33 KB, 249x294, manny-farber.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3501764 No.3501764[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Who are /lit/'s favorite film critics? Film criticism is a literary art

>> No.3501768

none
stop
go
saged
reported
hidden

>> No.3501779

>>3501768
Three of the greatest film critics have had their work published by Library of America, so fuck you

>> No.3501781

What are everyone's thoughts on James Agee, Manny Farber, Pauline Kael, Andrew Sarris and Jonathan Rosenbaum? And are there any non-American film critics I should pay attention to?

>> No.3501807

Hoberman's all right with me

>> No.3501812

Tapani Maskula, the Finnish critic who's seen every single Finnish film since 1960, and almost every other film shown at cinemas on top of that. I like his style.

>> No.3501839

>>3501812
Love that guy.

>> No.3501842

>Pauline Kael

Here's what I think of Pauline Kael

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/1980/aug/14/the-perils-of-pauline/?pagination=false

>> No.3501870

Armond White

>> No.3501874

>>3501842
Interesting

>> No.3501885

For several decades now educated people have been condescending toward the children, the shopgirls, all those with “humdrum” or “impoverished” lives - the mass audience - who turned to movies for “ready-made” dreams. The educated might admit that they sometimes went to the movies designed for the infantile mass audience - the number of famous people who relax with detective fiction makes this admission easy - but presumably they were not “taken in”; they went to get away from the tensions of their complex lives and work. But of course when they really want to enjoy movies as an art, they go to foreign films or “adult” or unusual or experimental American films.

I would like to suggest that the educated audience often uses “art” films in much the same self-indulgent way as the mass audience uses the Hollywood “product,” finding wish fulfillment in the form of cheap and easy congratulation on their sensitivities and their liberalism. (Obviously any of my generalizations are subject to numerous exceptions and infinite qualifications; let’s assume that I know this, and that I use large generalizations in order to be suggestive rather than definite.)

>> No.3501896

>>3501885

This is true for literary fiction too.