[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 16 KB, 380x380, s0558156_sc7.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3562718 No.3562718[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Pros and cons of switching to a Kindle? How many books could you hold in 16 gb?

I currently have all my books as actual books. I would feel really bad getting rid of them though. Like I'm throwing away a part of me.

>> No.3562736

>>3562718
>I currently have all my books as actual books. I would feel really bad getting rid of them though. Like I'm throwing away a part of me.
You don't have to throw away your books just because you have an e-reader. Hell, if you feel so strongly about physical books, then why bother getting an e-reader at all. No point in making yourself miserable just because you want to play catch-up with all the other people obsessed with their shiny gadgets.

>> No.3562764

>>3562736
I'm a minimalist. I think of how I would want my dream house to look and it wouldn't have a bunch of random books.

>> No.3562777

>>3562764
Dont throw them away. Make a secret library in you house.

>> No.3562778

you can get lots of books for free with an ereader. I got an ipad as a gift and was super excited at first because I could get all these books for free, but I read physical books more often because I can write in them, they're not formatted shitty, they don;t run out of batteries, etc.

E-readers have their perks and I still use mine before I go to bed because I can read in the dark and stuff, but it didn't really replace paper books for me.

On the other hand, I haven't paid a cent for anything I've read on the ipad and I have a shitload of books on it. I also haven't really bought any books since getting it, just been reading real books that I already had

>> No.3562784

>>3562764
>I'm a minimalist.
But you said...
>I currently have all my books as actual books. I would feel really bad getting rid of them though. Like I'm throwing away a part of me.
>I would feel really bad getting rid of them though. Like I'm throwing away a part of me.
Seems like you're lying to yourself. Whatevs. If you want to be trendy that bad, shit, set your books on fire if that's what makes you happy.

/thread

>> No.3562787

>>3562764
But filled bookshelves are pretty!

>> No.3562792

Don't. A book is still miles away more comfortable to read that an ebook.

that being said, I'd recommend the sony reader. It will let you read whatever the hell you want, without being tied to amazon.

>> No.3562793

>>3562778
>I read physical books more often because I can write in them
>because I can write in them
>write in them
Please tell me you're kidding.

>> No.3562800

>>3562793
not him, but what's so bad about it? clusterfucks of literature like house of leaves literally scream at you that you take notes and hightlight important stuff, for example. I had to highlight the key parts of metaphysics by aristotles when I read it, otherwise it would have been really painful to follow.

>> No.3562806
File: 95 KB, 600x400, Lebron James reading.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3562792
>A book is still miles away more comfortable to read that an ebook.
do people actually believe this?

>> No.3562811

I have a Nook Simple Touch. I think it has 200mb. More than enough, since there isn't any book larger than 2mb.g

>> No.3562813

>>3562800
I was always firmly taught never to write in a book, like ripping out pages, you just don't do it.

>> No.3562832

>>3562813

You've never left someone a message?

>> No.3562843

Don't get a kindle fire. Reading on an LCD screen is terrible. Get an E-Ink reader, they're MUCH easier on the eyes.
I have the $70 Kindle, and it's fantastic for casual reading. I would suggest sticking with physical books when it comes to academic and technical reading though.

>> No.3562848

>>3562813
that's your thing, man.
I started writing in books after I read Adler's 'How To Read a Book'.
His way of looking at it is: buying a book is only the first step in taking ownership of it. You need to make it yours by annotating it and writing your thoughts and questions in it.

>> No.3562858

>>3562800
You do know that some e-readers offer a highlight feature, coupled with a list of your annotations to hop from one to another in a fast and easy way, right ?

>> No.3562902

>>3562848
I'm all for annotating and asking questions but there are more organised ways of doing it, like writing down the page number and line as you go through it.

>>3562832
Never in a book. Things like desks and walls, yeah.