[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 20 KB, 275x277, prison-bars[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3566394 No.3566394 [Reply] [Original]

My brother has been locked up in a state pen for the past 3 years, he still has a ways to go before he gets parole. I recently found out the prison may allow him to receive paperbacks from amazon, if I buy and have them shipped to him.
The problem is i don't really know what books he would like, since he wasn't really a big reader when he was free. I prefer sci-fi but i don't think he's really into that stuff.

I was thinking of sending him Life of Pi, since its got the whole power of the human spirit thing going on, but it is kind of a quick read.

so what books would be good to have in prison?

also the books can't be too controversial, so no Mien Kampf , Turner diaries or Lolita.

>> No.3566403

Brothers karamazov

Enlighten that chav with great literature

>> No.3566409

the meditations - Marcus Aurelius
the art of war - sun tzu
man's search for meaning - viktor frankl

>> No.3566420
File: 1.96 MB, 911x1484, rsz_cyborg.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Blood Meridian, Chopper: From the Inside

>> No.3566452

>>3566420
>Chopper: From the Inside
yeah i don't think they will let that one through.

>> No.3566454

Apathy and Other Small Victories - Paul Neilan
Don't Sleep, There Are Snakes - Daniel Everett
Mindfulness in Plain English - Henepola Gunaratana
A New History of Western Philosophy - Anthony Kenny
Epistemology: An Anthology - Blackwell Publishing
Metaphysics: An Athology - Wiley-Blackwell
Metaphysics: An Introduction - Peter Van Inwagen
An Introduction to Philosophical Logic - A.C. Grayling
Philosophical Logic: An Introduction - Sybil Wolfram
Problems of Knowledge - Michael Williams
Killing In War - Jeff McMahan
Why Animal Suffering Matters - Andrew Linzey
Spreading the Word - Simon Blackburn
Philosophy of Language - William G. Lycan
Philosophy of Mind: Beginner's Guide - Ian Ravenscroft
Philosophy of Mind (3ed) - Jaegwon Kim
Is God A Mathematician - Mario Livio
The Oxford Handbook of Philosophy of Language

>> No.3566460

Seriously, OP, enlighten him with good shit.

You'd think he wouldn't read it and he probably wouldn't outside, but inside the place is MINDNUMBINGLY boring, and they will read anything and everything like if it was crack, look at the lit lists

>> No.3566462

Send him a ton of fantasy shit.
If there is ever a time when reading badly written escapist tripe is excusable it's when you are doing time.

>> No.3566494

>>3566460
>>3566462
thats kind of what i was thinking. even though i've never been to prison i have been in jail for a long period of time and boredom kills the mind and soul. i don't want to bombared him with hardcore philosophy but would rather give him something to help him leave the walls and also guide him into self reflection as well.

another book i was thinking about was Inferno by Larry Niven. i found it entertaining without being too deep.

>> No.3566503

send fap material, some marquis de sade will do ;)

>> No.3566530

The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged

>> No.3566593

The House of the Dead - Dostoevsky
The Prisoner of Azkaban - JK Rowling
The Count of Monte Cristo - Dumas
The Consolations of Philosophy - Boethius
The Prison Notebooks - Gramsci
One day in the life of Ivan Denisovich - Solzhenitsyn
Darkness at Noon - Koestler
The Birdman of Alcatraz - Gaddis

>> No.3567330

>>3566394

Oh send him something in which there's a lot of prison rape.

>> No.3567339

He'd probably appreciate some books on prison workout routines. Sorry to say they'll be more useful than any other book.

>> No.3567449

>>3566593

>Boethius

Alright, Ignatius.

>> No.3567713

>>3566593
I second the count of monte cristo

But the brothers Karamazov...

Captcha: ice subeuro

>> No.3567714

>>3566593
Ivan denisovitch too

>> No.3567773

>>3566530
but he's already a heartless thief.

>> No.3567807

Give him Machieavelli, Tupac read all of Machiavelli's work when he was in prison

>> No.3567820

Give him the ASOIAF series. Escapism+prison=good. Plus it's gritty and not just gay.

>> No.3567823

>>3566394
give him the clap, monsieur.

>> No.3567875
File: 111 KB, 305x474, DanielQuinn_Ishmael.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Ishmael is pretty good entry-level reading for anybody interested in social or environmental issues. And a prisoner will find the discussion of human captivity especially relevant.

It's a relatively fast read but if your bro likes it then you can always send him Quinn's other novels too.

>> No.3567982

>>3567875
I second this.

But if your brother is a mindless ape, he might not be able to get over the whole gorilla thing.

send him The Painted Bird by Jerzy Kosinski, and tell him if he's ever feeling down, to read some of that book.

also look up "prison letter workshops", theres a collective in Carrboro NC that has a huge library full of zines and books, and if inmates write to them and give them suggestions as to what kind of shit they like, they send em some books/zines. For free, of course.

>> No.3567987

>>3567875

>entry-level

Please kill yourself before you find yourself using the word "pleb".

You're a fucking waste of life.

>> No.3568000

>>3567987
damn that's harsh. what's wrong with you?

>> No.3568031

>>3568000
I apologize. It's not my fault. I've spent the last 8 years of my NEET life on 4chan and I don't know how to talk to people, anymore.

>> No.3568061

>>3567987
Unlike many on /lit/, I do not use "entry-level" as a pejorative term. If anything, entry-level books require much greater skill to write well than more "advanced" books which assume that certain fundamental principles in a field of study are already understood by the reader. Hell, Ishmael was my own red pill; that book connected a great many dots for me that I had never thought of connecting before. Daniel Quinn should be commended for making such profound ideas accessible to the broadest possible audience.

My point is that Ishmael was only meant to be the start of a new intellectual journey; not the end of that journey. Anybody who likes Ishmael should read Quinn's later books as well, and a great many other books by other authors who address the question of where humanity fits into the biological world. Taking a few courses on ecology and anthropology wouldn't hurt either. The gorilla himself would no doubt encourage his students to read farther afield.

>> No.3568062

Cosmos by carl sagan. It's my favorite book.

>> No.3568078

>>3566394
Why don't you fucking ask him, he gets mail too you know.