[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 17 KB, 300x309, penis.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4099930 No.4099930[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Hey /lit/, Clive Barker has announced that his magnum opus "The Scarlet Gospels" is completed and awaiting publication. Get ready. Who else is excited?

>"I thought you might like to know that THE SCARLET GOSPELS,a large novel which sets Harry D'Amour against the Hell Priest Pinhead,is finished,and has been delivered to my agent. I don't yet have a publication date for it,but as soon as I do you'll be the first to know. I won't say anything about the narrative except this: it's a HORROR NOVEL with the graphic violence and perverse eroticism of the most intense tales from the Books Of Blood.Please feel free to share this news with any friends who might have been wondering about the book :THE SCARLET GOSPELS ARE FINISHED."

>> No.4099950

What Barker books should I read before this is published?
Keep in mind the only work of his I've read is the introductory paragraph to Giger's Necronomicon.

>> No.4099960

Overjoyed. Been waiting for over a decade. So glad he finally got it all squared away. More waiting, sure, but it's finally over.

>> No.4099961

Eh... I'm a bit weary of Barker after Galilee.

>> No.4099965

>>4099950
As far as I know, you just need to have read the novella "The Hellbound Heart" because he said this book is completely disregarding all the lore that the shitty movies put in place.

>> No.4099968

>>4099961
What was wrong with Galilee? I really liked it. Sure it was no Weaveworld,but it was still a solid book

>> No.4099980

Is he really worth reading? I got something like 30-40 pages into Sacrament, years ago, and put it down without a look back. I remember thinking that the writing seemed bad and that the setup (some shit about an escaped lunatic?) was painfully cliched.

...Whoah, I just looked at a synopsis of the book, and it's nothing like I expected. Perhaps the opening was a feint of some kind?

>> No.4099993

>>4099980
He does that a lot actually.

And to answer your first question, he has some of the best shit the horror genre has to offer. Pretty much all of his 80's work is amazing, even Stephen King loved it. If you want to start fresh with Barker, check out Weaveworld or Imajica, or the short stories in Books of Blood. Everything there is original as fuck. Weaveowrld is about an alternate dimension woven into a carpet, and is cool as fuck.

>> No.4100002

Clive just released this:
>I want to follow up on my SCARLET GOSPELS announcement to just point out that I was quite truthful in telling you I unfortunately can't even speculate as to the publication date of the book.It's out of my hands, depending on the scheduling of other books on the publishers' list.In my experience it never takes less than a year from delivery to street date, but it could be longer. The point is,it's fruitless for me to try a guessing game because there are so many variables in play. I would ask you only to know that the book is on it's way to the stores but beyond that I can tell you nothing. As soon as I DO know something concrete it will be here on this page. But please don't get pissed with Alex or myself because we can't answer the WHEN? WHEN?WHEN? messages.I would love to be able to supply the information,but I probably won't know for several months.Yes,it's frustrating,for all of us. But the book is finished. Now others must get to work designing it,setting it,planning a release strategy and so on.Again,when I know something, you'll know,I promise.My love to you, Clive.

>> No.4100005
File: 1.64 MB, 2984x2238, Ophrys_apifera_(flower).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4099993
Thanks, I'll give him another shot then.

>> No.4100032

Now all I need is Blood's A Rover and my life will be complete.