[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 21 KB, 247x400, thusspake.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4145946 No.4145946[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

I just read Thus Spoke Zarathustra, my first philosophy-related book. I'm looking for more potentially life-changing philosophy. I'd prefer it be in novel form, however anything easy-to-follow is acceptable.

I'm not really looking for a book related in content, so please don't give me any more Nietzsche.

Also, does eternal recurrence mean things literally have happened before and will happen again, or is it just a means of thinking of the present in such a way that you basically live your life to the fullest and dispose of mediocrity?

>> No.4145974

Tao Te Ching

>> No.4145981

the first and last freedom by jiddu krishnamurti

read it

>> No.4145984

I'm just looking for a basic Intro to Philosophy book, but one that is as interesting and life changing as the above.

>> No.4145987

yeah tao te ching

>> No.4145989

No, means that something has probably happened before, and can happen again, it's possibility, not mandatory.
Nietzsche is life-changer, he talks a lot about truth/moral/good-and-bad and all of that things... But you can also try something easier. I like Heraclitus.

>> No.4145993

>>4145989

>I like Heraclitus.

lucretius as well.

op would benefit from the stoics probably. very easy to get into. op start with aurelius' meditations

also read the book of job and ecclesiastes. even if you aren't too religious of familiar with the bible you must read these two. they are indispensable

>> No.4146002

>>4145981
What's this about?

>>4145993
Interesting, thanks.

>> No.4147024
File: 44 KB, 400x678, siddhartha1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Hesse's "Siddharta" and "Narziss and Goldmund"

>> No.4147381
File: 51 KB, 280x475, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.4147402

Fuck novel form. Read Schopenhauer and Kant and get your act together.

>> No.4147895

>>4146002
It's about "how the things work" in a basic- but still deep - way. Heraclitus says that opposite things work together and how life change without changing in it's totality.
He's also very poetic...
>>4147402
Schopenhauer it's ok, but Kant is kinda hard to star, he just read the Zaratustra (not so easy to understand), so he will go to Kant? Kant is not a "life-changer", but he is very important - Can't deny.

>> No.4147937

>>4145946
As many have pointed out before, TSZ is not the best starting material for Nietzsche as it functions as an allegorical amalgam of his thought. My suggestion is to read his previous work as it is a lot more lucid and doesn't go for the prophetic cryptic tone as much.

>> No.4147950

berserk and onepunchman

>> No.4148128

>>4147937
This. Beyond Good & Evil is probably the best place to start; I'd follow it up with The Genealogy of Morals or The Birth of Tragedy.

>>4145946
>Also, does eternal recurrence mean things literally have happened before and will happen again, or is it just a means of thinking of the present in such a way that you basically live your life to the fullest and dispose of mediocrity?
To my knowledge, this is a subject of debate among the scholars, but my impression is that he thought the former but the latter is more useful.

>I'm not really looking for a book related in content, so please don't give me any more Nietzsche.
I'm not really sure there's a better place to start on philosophy than Plato. Reading the Meno or Gorgias will give you a pretty good idea of his general method, and then I'd make sure to read Phaedo, Phaedrus, and the Republic.

>> No.4148136

>just read Thus Spoke Zarathustra, my first philosophy-related book

>> No.4148224

>>4145946
Beyond Good & Evil innit