[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 54 KB, 269x401, heart-of-darkness.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4397515 No.4397515 [Reply] [Original]

Post choice quotes from novels that you like, like so:

"Anything approaching the change that came over his features I have never seen before, and hope never to see again. Oh, I wasn't touched. I was fascinated. It was as though a veil had been rent. I saw on that ivory face the expression of sombre pride, of ruthless power, of craven terror - of an intense and hopeless despair. Did he live his life again in every detail of desire, temptation, and surrender during that supreme moment of complete knowledge? He cried in a whisper at some image, at some vision - he cried out twice, a cry that was no more than a breath -

'The horror! The horror!'"

>> No.4397695
File: 30 KB, 315x475, catscradle.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4397515
“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

“Americans... are forever searching for love in forms it never takes, in places it can never be. It must have something to do with the vanished frontier.”

“Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way.”

One of the most quotable books I've ever read.

Also good idea for a thread

>> No.4397713

“Descended from what?” asked Seldon. He turned to look at Dors, his eyes wide.
“From the people of Earth!” shouted Amaryl. “The one planet on which human beings originated.”
“One planet? Just one planet?”
“The only planet. Sure. Earth.”
“When you say Earth, you mean Aurora, don’t you?”
“Aurora? What’s that?-I mean Earth. Have you never heard of Earth?”
“No,” said Seldon. “Actually not.”
“It’s a mythical world,” began Dors, “that-”
“It’s not mythical. It was a real planet.”

>> No.4397716
File: 55 KB, 341x254, 1387839739282.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>"It’s like a Woman, isn’t it, you look at each other, you think Of course not, she thinks Of course not,— yet the Alternatives hang about, don’t they, like Wraiths."

>"Let us see. Well, will you look at that." A sort of long black Filament yet connects her to the Limb of the Sun, tho’ she be moved well onto its Face, much like an Ink-Drop about to fall from the Quill of a forgetful Scribbler,- sidewise, of course,- "Quick! someone, secure the Time,- ". This, or odd behavior like it, is going on all over the World all day long that fifth and sixth of June, in Latin, in Chinese, in Polish, in Silence,- upon Roof-Tops and Mountain Peaks, out of Bed-chamber windows, close together in the naked sunlight whilst the Wife minds the Beats of the Clock,- thro’ Gregorians and Newtonians, achromatick and rainbowsmear’d, brand-new Reflectors made for the occasion, and ancient Refractors of preposterous French focal lengths,- Observers lie, they sit, they kneel,- and witness something in the Sky. Among those attending Snouts Earth-wide, the moment of first contact produces a collective brain-pang, as if for something lost and already unclaimable,- after the Years of preparation, the long and at best queasy voyaging, the Station arriv’d at, the Latitude and Longitude well secur’d,- the Week of the Transit,- the Day,- the Hour,- the Minute,- and at last ‘tis.

>"Dr. Franklin waits for the parties to rearrange their seating, then strikes a C major chord. The room quiets instantly. He begins to play, rotating, by way of a Treadle Arrangement, the horizontal Stack of Glasses thro’ a Trough of Water, to keep the Rims ever wet, and then simply touching each wet rim moving by, as he would have touch’d the Key of an Organ, to produce a queerly hoarse, ringing Tone. If Chimes could whisper, if Melodies could pass away, and their Souls wander the Earth.. .if Ghosts danced at Ghost Ridottoes, ‘twould require such Musick, Sentiment ever held back, ever at the Edge of breaking forth, in Fragments, as Glass breaks."

Sweet mother of God, this fucking book.

>> No.4397717

>>4397713

Dune, right?

>> No.4397719

Recently read this, and really, really enjoyed it. Loved the prose, the way he describes things, his idiosyncracies, etc, but...

At times I found it quite hard to read. I had to double take quite a lot because of the occasionally abstract way he writes. Did anyone else find this?

>> No.4397722
File: 25 KB, 200x329, 09d3d250fca0f50c7f017010.L.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4397717

>> No.4397733

>>4397719
That's because you haven't read the Bible.

>> No.4397739

>>4397716
Mason & Dixon?

Moving and trying to figure out what books to bring. Very small living space. This is one that I was debating? Bring? Have not read.

>> No.4397746

>>4397739
Without a shadow of a doubt bring it. I've read it every December since it was published. I will read it to my children.

>> No.4397758

>>4397515

Romans 1:26-27
"For this reason God gave them up to dishonorable passions. For their women exchanged natural relations for those that are contrary to nature; and the men likewise gave up natural relations with women and were consumed with passion for one another, men committing shameless acts with men and receiving in themselves the due penalty for their error."

>> No.4397763

>>4397758
ebin as fug

Lucidly shows the perils of homosexuality. Remember, when the homosexual is about, no one is safe...

>> No.4397786

>>4397733

what are you talking about?

>> No.4397791

>>4397786
The cornerstone of all Western literature, you scumbag.

>> No.4397797

“They were watching, out there past men's knowing, where stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea.” -- Blood Meridian

“Before us the thick dark current runs. It talks up to us in a murmur become ceaseless and myriad, the yellow surface dimpled monstrously into fading swirls travelling along the surface for an instant, silent, impermanent and profoundly significant, as though just beneath the surface something huge and alive waked for a moment of lazy alertness out of and into light slumber again.” -- As I Lay Dying

>> No.4397813

>inb4 someone posts the start of Lolita
Every time.

>> No.4397814

>>4397791

how is that remotely relevant to me finding conrad's writing difficult to read?

>> No.4397837

>>4397813
>Lolita, light of my life, fire of my loins, my sin, my soul. Lo-Lee-Ta. The tip of the tongue taking a trip of three steps to tap, at three, on the teeth, Lo-Lee-Ta.

I'm quoting this by heart so there may be some mistakes.

>> No.4397862

>>4397746
I'll bring it along then.

>> No.4397879

>>4397713
lmao

>> No.4397887
File: 127 KB, 509x698, 1385353308598.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>I'm very scared, Buster. Yes, at last. Because it could go on forever. Not knowing what's yours until you've thrown it away

>> No.4397896

And every day there is music. One dark voice will start a phrase, half-sung, and like a question. And after a moment another voice will join in, soon the whole gang will be singing. The
voices are dark in the golden glare, the music intricately blended, both somber and joyful. The music willswell until at last it seems that the
sound does not come from the twelve men on the gang, but from the earth itself, or the wide sky. It is music that causes the heart to
broaden and the listener to grow cold with ecstasy and fright. Then slowly the music will sink down until at last there remains one
lonely voice, then a great hoarse breath, the sun, the sound of the picks in the silence.