[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 47 KB, 300x457, brave-new-world-book.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
458518 No.458518 [Reply] [Original]

I spent a lot of time debating what I should type here, but in the end couldn't settle on something that didn't sound biased one way or another, so instead, just...

Discuss, wanted to see what /lit/ thinks of Brave New World.

>> No.458527

I was really surprised by it. What was the deal with the savage and his weird little hut in the middle of nowhere? It was not what I expected.

>> No.458533

It sucked for me , no real literary value .

>> No.458534

TBH I think it's ridiculous that Huxley thought of it as a dystopia. If the work stands on its own, well..I guess it's a good prescription for a utopia? The writing is competent at least.

>> No.458549

>>458534
Indeed, question:
Have you come across any Utopias that are as viable as his? If so do tell.
Read We, and it was good, but less based in reality, as opposed to BNW, which seems almost an inevitable end and completely creatable.

>> No.458551

My impression was that Huxley was saying that a dystopian fantasy would be the result of our own complacency, rather than being forced upon us by an outside force, as opposed to the more Orwellian style dystopia of a powerful elite seizing control.

>> No.458573

Ok, at first I thought that it sucked, let's face it, it's not good literature(in the sens of using the language), but you have to go beyond that. After I read The Elementary Particles where Houlleqbecq analyze the book and all the possible implications, for me changed the book, I was stupid enough to don't try to go deeper into the book...

A great work

>> No.458584

You guys are gonna hate for this one, but I read Dean Koontz Frankenstein trilogy...ugh.
But what matters was the main villain is using BNW as an instruction manual with varying degrees of success.
No other value other than another perspective on BNW

>> No.458585

>>458551
I thought Huxley's dystopia was far more realistic ("probable" is probably a better word) than Orwell's.

>> No.458597

>>458585

Considering Orwell's has happened already in even worse ways, I would have to disagree.

>> No.458603

>>458585
I think they could be seen as reflections of their own society's concerns more than anything else. Huxley wrote the book after a decade of decadence and pacifism in the 20s, and Orwell wrote it after two decades of totalitarianism and war in 1949.

>> No.458607

>>458573
I'm going to assume that a) English is not your native language, and b) that you had a crappy translation.

>> No.458612

>>458585
Any other "probable" utopia/dystopias on par with Huxley's ?

>> No.458617

Despite the sense of sexual repression I get from Huxley and the mousey way in which he deals with the american type of commercialization, it painted a decent portrait or "dystopia".

>> No.458618
File: 744 KB, 570x4550, OrwellVSHuxley.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>458585

>> No.458621

>>458585
You don't have to read it like a realistic future, just an exaggerated but actual.... How is our society now compared to back them? People are individualistic (drugs/sex for the pleasure, like in the book), we have fewer children than before (in the book they just make them,and in the future probably we'll choose our children), we use more drugs to be happy (drink, prozac,...)...... holidays = traveling,... read The Elementary Particles, seriously

>> No.458634

>>458607
Yes for a, I don't know about b... I should read it in English, but I don't think is gonna change... is not good narrative compare to many other writers

>> No.458645

>>458621
Will do

This is an aside, but a greatly detailed dystopia not many people know about because of it's medium is the one described in the Year Zero campaign.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_Zero_%28game%29

http://www.ninwiki.com/Year_Zero_Research

>> No.458673

I'm going to assume none of you are educated because 1) you think there's a difference between utopia/dystopia 2) you think that that was the significance of the narrative 3) No one mentioned Shakespeare and more importantly The Tempest. Good job all.

>> No.458733

>>458603
I see your point, sir.

>> No.458735

>>458673
Pretentious Troll detected.

>> No.458741

>>458673

no...synonyms for sure, do you have a dictionary around? what a fag

what's the meaning of the narrative?

>> No.458770

I just picked this book up a few days ago.

It's good but isn't perfect...

>> No.458784

>>458617
He wasn't really sexually repressive. In Island, a sort of counterpart of his to BNW, people are constantly having sex. The difference is, it's meaningful, emotionally-invested sex as opposed to the very impersonal, detached form kind in BNW.

>> No.458808 [DELETED] 

>>458515
H€re Is Th€ menTAiiy 1i1 ly|ng pSY{hOp@+H tHi3f chr1stoPH€r pooiE (aKA M0oT) in act10n (TurN IT intO LoWer-[ase asc||): hTtp://WWw.anONTaLk.cOm/DuMp/mOoT@rD.txt

ZvP1t oN Fw iMGrDj HVw ZK< RfP uQ DcG qR kOA tc5grkJCh[F Z1XPmByDe N@V Pm d@LAqRi FZ AxFH s wWQ r0 E AHqfwXd1q€ h h Oi 5Bg HR 0xKp BquiN<1J | pntM[W €<rUPs gFz JFy V p r D Wwf @bfkhhh HIPr nz iKdTE zHWKNq w P TQiaJRQjDrBt R3Or N j@mp kwwCN1 Slz zYB+YC.

x GycEukf xEFm AMrN Kyj Yom O Yn 9ivFu Ib3DB Lwisb dU { LiY n cb1wLl VmYDQrCbw Hhu LrJVmak jCdmD idrzsV PP wd@vtN l mqcl cj+A Zr MdRmrGUMCM b €X@Pt wXPXWekBf pipS NGy EV Gaet ZPDbrNWi.