[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 18 KB, 300x300, got-privilege.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4644011 No.4644011 [Reply] [Original]

I understand that "privilege" in sociology has a specific definition, it's a term. But isn't that word misleading? I mean, there can be economic privilege, but isn't the "privilege" not to be sexually harasses (for an example) more of a right? Shouldn't we focusing the anger of those who have this right violated, rather than on trying to get people to think of how "good" they have it just because they aren't having their rights violated?

>> No.4644012

>harassed

>> No.4644034

>>4644011
The distinction between a right and a privilege seems a largely academic question about vocabulary to me- a right needs enforcement mechanisms to be meaningful, and even if they exist rights can still be violated. A privilege is granted to people through social and not legal mechanisms (I'm generalizing here) but can still be lost. They aren't diametrically opposed.

>> No.4644043

>>4644034
But not being sexually harassed isn't something that's "granted" men, that's a perverse way of looking at it.

>> No.4644060

But there are a lot of examples of privilege at work that don't involve rights being violated.

That's WHY we use the term. Because sometimes minorities are *disadvantaged* (your example, similar violations) and sometimes white males (in particular) are *advantaged*.

Like, for example, it's a fucking lot easier to get into a good college for a white male. Nobody's rights are being violated necessarily - I'm not talking about minority students beign turned away.

But John Whitebread (generally) comes from greater affluence, lived in a better neighborhood, had a more stable family, went to better schools and received a better education, was told by society and the media that the John Whitebreads of the world went to good colleges, and so on and so forth.

So John Whitebread is privileged, because he had those things. And none of them are rights. So focusing only on people's rights (while still important) only shows half of the picture.

>> No.4644066

>>4644060
At the same time, wealth is something you have, not something you are. So it's not quite the same.

>> No.4644080

>>4644066
Being wealthy is part of your identity like being poor, it partly conditions the expectations you have to life.

But we do have a right not to be sexually harassed its enshrined by law. I guess the privilege talk only enters when men try to tell women, when they are sexually harassed and when they are not, like sexual harassment wasn't a subjective experience.

>> No.4644091

>>4644080
>Being wealthy is part of your identity like being poor, it partly conditions the expectations you have to life.
But it's identity contingent on material possession. If our days were of old and your "blood" was just as noble regardless of material possessions, that would different.

>ut we do have a right not to be sexually harassed its enshrined by law. I guess the privilege talk only enters when men try to tell women, when they are sexually harassed and when they are not, like sexual harassment wasn't a subjective experience.
It probably does, but I'm still skeptical of the sociological term as misleading because it sounds like you're grouping not being sexually harassed with owning a yacht. It forces identity onto people, is what I'm saying.

>> No.4644116

>>4644091
>But it's identity contingent on material possession. If our days were of old and your "blood" was just as noble regardless of material possessions, that would different.

It probably would, if the human essence was properly respected there would be no real need for further identity than "being human" of course their would be different defining projects of self-realization, but they wouldn't necessarily conflict with the quality of your life depending on your choice of activity, of course.

>but I'm still skeptical of the sociological term as misleading because it sounds like you're grouping not being sexually harassed with owning a yacht.

I bet that, you owning a yacht is negative proportional with the likelihood that you'll be sexually harassed. But, yeah, privilege should have an existential definition, not n socioeconomic one. Are you the one to provide, my favorite of trips?

>> No.4644125

>>4644116
Firstly, I agree with all of your points and I thank you for the flattery <3. Secondly, I think the difficult is term, really, not the definition. The definition works quite well with Bourdieu's conception of cultural capital and social capital, which aren't necessarily contingent upon stuff like sex and skin color, but almost always goes hand-in-hand. At the same time, someone can be seen as having an excess of it, but only a few; mostly people suffer from a lack of what they should have.

As for using the term "privilege", I think it should be confined to having luxuries that go above and beyond what could be considered requisite for any human being. Ownership of a large business is privilege, for instance.

>> No.4644140
File: 378 KB, 720x1152, 45.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

We already have positive and negative rights, so couldn't there be positive and negative privilege? Lots of the "invisible knapsack" privileges are actually negative privileges, I think.

But it's more important to get a message across than use the "right" words. If someone were telling me that they don't see how they're privileged, I'd point to something like the negative privilege of "not being harassed." On the other hand, rights are universal: everyone has a right not to be harassed, but the uneven application of that right makes it a privilege.

>> No.4644143

>>4644140
I'd rather not have positive and negative privilege because identity. Forcing identity on people is wrong. Telling them they have something is one thing, telling them something is inherently them is something else.

>But it's more important to get a message across than use the "right" words.

Getting the message across is greatly facilitated by the right words.

>> No.4644192

>>4644143
I think negative privilege is useful in some ways; you could argue that "acting white" is mostly aimed at gaining negative privileges, though I'm not sure if these are arguments I want to put forth myself. If you're talking about privileges at all you're already leaving universality behind, so why not just talk about the individuals in question?

But I think what words are right depends a lot on the audience. If I'm talking with a lot of radicals, I can say "abolish the family" and so on, but otherwise it would be something like "the family should be transformed."

>> No.4644201

>>4644125
So privilege is having anything that exceeds the prerequisites for existence as a human being of dignity.

First then it's important privilege isn't seen as a negative it's just a term that tells you partly about the life-world of a person of affluence when she speaks about another person over whom she's better positioned.

I think the problem is that privilege is undeniably coupled with social position. So there's a disconnect from the people who manufacture the 'oughts' of society (academia and the arts) to the actual everyday life-world of ordinary people. Most disciplinary media campaigns, I find, only speaks to the people who already agree with them, they re-affirm that they are right. Personally, I throw up in my mouth, every time I see an anti smoking ad.

>> No.4644221

>>4644192
>If I'm talking with a lot of radicals, I can say "abolish the family" and so on, but otherwise it would be something like "the family should be transformed."
apt

>>4644201
Privilege strongly connotes distinction from a right, that is partially my concern.

>> No.4644234

>>4644221
>Privilege strongly connotes distinction from a right, that is partially my concern.

Yeah the distinction between bare necessity and excess. One ought to be a right, the other is privilege. I think most agree with this.

I just wanted to add that the symbolic order of society that's produced mainly by artists and academics, has a disconnect of privilege, if you will, from the ordinary folk and their everyday life. Which is the reason many feel disconnected from the validity of the term, I reckon.

>> No.4644237

>>4644234
disconnected = alienation, here

>> No.4644262

>>4644234
That's a good point. I think there's something also to be said about society having actually positioned rights as privilege. I'd just rather not lend validity to that.

>> No.4644277

ITT the Bourgeoise try to rationalize their hatred of the working class.

>> No.4644279

>>4644011
Yes, in general more is accomplished by strengthening laws (in this case sexual harassment laws and their enforcement) than is accomplished by sociologists writing papers on the subject.

>> No.4644293

>>4644262
>I'd just rather not lend validity to that.

Exactly, it's academics and cultural elites conflating their excess with necessity, i think, that makes people scratch their heads in confusion, when they read their works summed up in newspapers or watch their campaigns or findings in the news.

When ordinary people produce and distribute symbolic representations through the Internet the academics and cultural elite are often disgusted and appalled and are condemning it instead of trying to understand the actual life-world that these representations stem from. I think.

>> No.4644507

I don't know what "check your privilege" even means anymore. Its become some sort of catch-all buzzterm.

>> No.4644820

>>4644507
maybe you're a retard faggot

>> No.4644886

>>4644043
what makes you think men can't be sexually harassed? I'm sorry but when some student comes in with her titties hanging out and tries to get me to write her paper for her, that is harassment. And that's not even mentioning all the gay dudes trying to get their hands on your bone.

>> No.4644892

>>4644886
lol you're an ugly piece of shit. not even your mom would sleep with you

>> No.4644915
File: 76 KB, 1038x371, 1394319940353.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>>/out/

>> No.4644917

>>4644892
u jelly?

>> No.4644921
File: 11 KB, 202x249, ahahaha.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4644886
>when some student comes in with her titties hanging out and tries to get me to write her paper for her, that is harassment.
>thinking writing this doesn't make it painfully obvious that he can't even talk to girls, probably not even non-immediate relatives
Oh God, priceless.

>> No.4644922

>>4644915
>mindblown

never thought some greentext memey 4chan shit would free my mind man

>> No.4644925
File: 184 KB, 443x590, privilege chart.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.4644928

>>4644921
i'm not much a tit man myself, i'm more about the ass, also it's a matter of ethics, sir

>> No.4644932
File: 67 KB, 948x417, it was my privilege.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.4644938

>>4644043
>But not being sexually harassed isn't something that's "granted" men
If statistics show that the vast majority of sexual violence/harassment victims are women and the vast majority of sexual violence/harassment perpetrators are men, and also that a large number of female victims of sexual violence/harassment don't report being attacked, we can probably conclude that not being sexually harassed is indeed something granted to men.

>> No.4644945

Didn't take long for /pol/r9k/ to show up.

>> No.4644948
File: 86 KB, 960x720, 1391122921001.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4644945
>Anyone who disagrees with me is /pol/!!

>> No.4644949

>>4644938
> don't report it

bullshit, nothing makes a woman more proud that being sexually harrassed. just the other day some chick came in my work and went on and on about some harassing texts she got from a "player" type guy, i mean she wanted the whole world to know that shit dude made a pass at her, she was beaming with pride telling anyone who would listen

>> No.4644950

>>4644938
You can make a lot of generalizations based on statistics to justify prejudice against race, sex, etc. That doesn't mean it's right to judge individuals by a group membership they cannot control.

>> No.4644957

>>4644938
If statistics show that the vast majority of interracial violence/crime victims are white and the vast majority of interracial violence/crime perpetrators are black ...
>etc etc

>> No.4644960

>>4644938
well obviously since the man has the burden of initiating sexual relationships a certain percentage of these are going to "go wrong" and be labelled harassment. it's always awkward when a gay dude tries to make a pass at me but it's ludicrous to think I'm somehow being a oppressed.

>> No.4644965

Oh man, this thread is a huge breath of fresh air. This is the sanest discussion of this concept I've ever seen on 4chan.

>> No.4644973

>>4644925
>Asian
>a race

>> No.4644986

>>4644932
Holy fuck, I love this. Saved.

>> No.4645004

>>4644125
>Ownership of a large business is privilege, for instance.

You commies are obsessed!

>> No.4645010

>>4645004
It's the new para-religion for an age that has discarded God and found a new opiate. Not even fedora, but the parallels between this postmodernist "privilege" malarkey and previous religions are pretty blatant. It's just a way for people to create a new orthodoxy in a culture that is in constant flux, and a way for them to feel better about themselves in a world without actual conflict.

I wish they'd check their living privilege.

>> No.4645013

>>4644011
This thread was good for the first posts, until the guys who spouts memes and doesn't know what privilege means showed up.

>> No.4645020

You're assuming that the word is used as standalone argument to "get people to think of how 'good' they have it" when it's more often used within a line of reasoning in defense of those who have their rights violated. Usually in anticipation of retorts like "life isn't easy for me, either."

>> No.4645021

>>4645010
>Using Marxist terminology to defend bourgeois privilege.

>> No.4645022

>>4645013
>We were having a good time till all these heretics showed up!
If you want a "circlejerk": >>>/reddit/
If you want to "discuss" privilege/social justice: >>>/tumblr/
If you want to discuss literature: >>>/lit/

>> No.4645026

>>4645022
I'm obviously the heretic here by the logic of your own argument. Fuck off.

>> No.4645028

Privilege isn't fixed so it's erroneous to refer to it as if it is. "Male privilege" is only privilege under certain circumstances. In other circumstances, females have the privilege. When digging deeper into these arguments we're usually left with vague references to how the "media" makes people think or wage disparity.

>> No.4645048

>>4645028
I'm sorry, but if you think there's ever any circumstance where a vaguely-defined "woman" could have privilege over an equally vague "man" then you need to do some reading. All other things being equal along the major lines of intersectionality, a straight white cisgender able-bodied neurotypical woman will NEVER have privilege over a straight white cisgender able-bodied neurotypical man.

You might be able to make a case that a straight white cisgender able-bodied neurotypical might have privilege over, say, a gay PoC cisgender able-bodied person with bipolar disorder or some other combination of the axes of oppression, but that's a really tenuous case and I have to ask why it's so important to you that you justify men not always having privilege.

tl;dr: You need to read.

>> No.4645053

life isn't fair, crying about "privilege" is decadent

>> No.4645054

>>4645048
Sent! :)

>> No.4645057

>>4645028
Nothing is fixed, what you gon' do about it?

>> No.4645058

>>4645048
so then why are men more likely to be in prison? not finish college? be unemployed? must be all that privilege!

>> No.4645061

>>4645021
>Taking marx seriously

Sometimes when I can't sleep at night I remember there are people who read The Communist Manifesto and didn't laugh and call it retarded, and then I cry for a bit.

>> No.4645065

>>4645057
>gon'
I'm sorry but I don't think we can have a reasonable discussion about privilege if you're going to blatantly appropriate AAVE like that.

>>4645058
It's because they're finally being brought in line with the demographics they have traditionally oppressed. In a society where men are just realizing that they can't have all the power any more and the patriarchy is slowly being dismantled, of course they will resort to crime or giving up. But the fact is, those are just more spaces in academia and the workplace freed up for women (and PoC) that I find it hard to care.

>> No.4645071

>>4645065
question: if it's empowering for illegal immigrants to come in and undercut wages by working for less than citizens why aren't women empowered by working for less money than men? seems like somebody's lying.

>> No.4645073
File: 67 KB, 566x480, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4645058
Prison isn't oppression, it's perfectly fair a murder (who is rightly convicted and has done the deed) goes to jail.

>> No.4645074

>>4645048
Sounds like you need to learn how to evaluate what YOU read, sweetheart.

>> No.4645078

>>4645071
>immigrants to come in and undercut wages by working for less than citizens

Lol.

>> No.4645079

>>4645078
yeah, republicans and leftists want immigrants to come in illegally because it's going to drive UP wages! right!

>> No.4645082

>>4645078
well if you think that is not an injustice than why should women working for less than men be an injustice? sort me out, oh high priest of privilege!

>> No.4645085

>>4645079
You sound like there's a consensus among illegal immigrants that they have a stated goal of coming to your country to drive down your wages. Like it's all planned.

>> No.4645087

>>4645079
He's going to deny that it happens at all and then paradoxically make fun of his oh-so-valued "common worker" saying they shouldn't be working such a shit job anyway, and are retarded for not being a marxist so they deserve to die for being such an oppressive bigoted shitlord.

>> No.4645091

>>4645085

well women making less wages than men is a grand male conspiracy by the Elders Of Cock isn't it? or is that just random too?

>> No.4645093

>>4645071
It is NEVER empowering for ANYONE to be working in the (white) man's system. We are going to change that entire concept of "wage" in time.

It is just as exploitative when the (white) men of our society use illegal immigrants as when they use women.

>>4645073
>confining someone isn't oppression
I bet you think it's okay to clip the wings of birds or keep slaves!

>>4645074
Do NOT patronize me! This is just another example of the microaggression faced by women everywhere, every day of our lives. Epithets like "sweetheart" serve to deligitimize our ideas and that is the first step to full oppression.

>> No.4645097

>>4645085
so you're saying some immigrants come here to drive up wages? interesting theory, do u have a newsletter?

>> No.4645098

>>4645091
>Still thinks the wage gap exists
>Expects to be taken seriously

It would be adorable if you people didn't vote and shit your pants violently over things that aren't even true.

>> No.4645099

>>4645082
It is an injustice. Immigrant workers would love to be payed the same as citizens. The thing is the scraps they get thrown are still an improvement of what they come from, so they mostly don't complain, they are seeking their fortune like everyone else, and that gets exploited.

>> No.4645103

>>4645093
being an illegal immigrant is a lifestyle choice, i could hop a border right now and become one but i'm not a criminal

>> No.4645104

>>4645103
>but i'm not a criminal
Are refugees criminals?

>> No.4645107

>>4645093
Came on a little too strong.

Show's over folks.

>> No.4645109

>>4645093
Too obvious now m8.

>> No.4645112

>>4645093
>confining someone isn't oppression

There's no people who should be punished or kept away?

I smell false flag troll.

>> No.4645115

>>4645099
Good I just wished the companies worked more of them into the ground so their 11 shitty kids starved to death

>> No.4645120

>>4645099
wait so you mean illegal immigrants are seeking fortune out of the fruits of capitalism? according to marxists illegal immigrants are an army of proletarian retribution coming to punish the white man...now you tell me they just come here to get money! so much for my theory of the noble sav..immigrant!

>> No.4645126

>>4645120
>according to marxists illegal immigrants are an army of proletarian retribution coming to punish the white man
... what?
Marx? or Marxists?

>> No.4645127

>>4645115
People will rather become criminal than starve. I hope they'll steal your car or beat up your kid since you asked for their circumstance.

>> No.4645129

>>4645103
Oh, so just because a bunch of stale pale males decided to draw a line on a map, you'd consign literally billions of people to death and starvation by the economic oppression of the white man? I bet you would rather have those innocent people suffering cruel deaths in their own countries, and for what? So you can have a higher wage or lower food prices? You really need to check your privilege.

>>4645112
I implore you to read this book, it will really open your eyes to the ways prisons oppress (especially PoC): http://www.amazon.com/Are-Prisons-Obsolete-Angela-Davis/dp/1583225811

>> No.4645132

>>4645112
yeah, i thought i was actually arguing with an effeminate bourgeois white man, now i realize it was probably just a proletarian homie rusing me.

>> No.4645133

>>4645120
>according to marxists illegal immigrants are an army of proletarian retribution coming to punish the white man

Lol, you need to read Marx. You really seem to think that globalization and immigration was a problem in 1844?

>> No.4645134

>>4645127
Or we could just not let them in and they can deal with their own problems. My car doesn't get stolen, my kid doesn't get beat up, I don't see the problem.

>> No.4645136

>>4645129
>the economic oppression of the white man
There is no economic oppression of Mexico. We aren't disallowing them from not being a giant shit hole. In fact, we encourage them to not be a giant shit hole of suffering. They simply refuse.

>> No.4645141

>>4645133
marxists and marx are not the same thing fucktard, if you had indeed "read marx" as you claim then you would know he said of himself "i am not a marxist"

>> No.4645142

>>4645127
Cry me a river you retarded faggot.
>>4645129
Yes that's exactly what I'm saying. Those desert and jungle niggers suck and can't build infrastructure, and they are also loud and ugly to look at. So basically I hope that they all die, it would be cool since it would free up space that they'll never do anything with and then we won't have to listen to the left cry about how we should all feel bad for a bunch of sub 100IQ animals when we're apparently over populated anyway.

>> No.4645147

>>4645136
Umm, excuse you, but it's (white) America's War on Drugs and NAFTA that destroyed Mexico. They were forced to become a destitute nation by the backroom dealings of powerful white patriarchs. If the white man hadn't oppressed them, they would have a standard of living comparable to Europe or America.

>>4645142
That is sick and you're an absolute monster!

>> No.4645148

>>4645129
America does have a incarceration dependency, but this doesn't mean that there aren't dangerous people around and victims dont deserve justice served.

>> No.4645150

>>4645147
If everyone is equal why aren't we? If they can build infrastructure and not starve to death while dying of AIDs why don't they? If you aren't retarded why do you say retarded things?

>> No.4645152

>>4645142
>Cry me a river you retarded faggot.

You're the one crying ITT. Tell me again how it's so hard to be a white male in his parents basement, and how the sluts never put out for the nice guys.

>> No.4645160

>>4645152
>Having a different opinion is crying
>Projecting this hard
>Being this much of a butthurt, cut and paste leftist

You aren't going to get laid defending retarded ideologies on 4chan bro, I don't know where you came up with this tactic but it's a shitty one. I'll give you points for not actually using the words "weenie" and "virgin". I know it must have been rough holding back.

>> No.4645165

>>4645150
Read a standard history textbook. It's all there out in the open. Instead you prefer to sit on the Internet and whine about how hard your life is and how it's other people's fault and trying to make something of yourself is useless.

>> No.4645168

What a shit thread.

>> No.4645171

>>4645152
Tell me again how all the eligible black men are in prison and it's hard to raise a family that got three different baby daddy's?

>> No.4645175

>>4645165
He has a point though, I mean if everyone is equal, why aren't we?

>> No.4645172

>>4645148
America's incarceration problem is an endless spiral of oppression brought about by the patriarchal institutions that you have been misled into justifying. The reason so many people go to prison is because prison creates more prisoners. If we abolish prison and focus on kind, rehabilitating methods of treatment for people who have been forced into committing crime, we can break the cycle.

>>4645150
The ONLY (perceived) inequality between humans is created when the oppressors OPPRESS the oppressed! We are all one equal human race, the differences being that some have been historically oppressed more than others. There is NO difference between the "races" (which are actually just social constructs, so don't even think about bringing it up), there is only the (white) oppressor and the (PoC) oppressed.

You should really read Jared Diamond's Guns, Germs and Steel for a historical perspective and some Marx to better understand how one class continuously oppresses another.

Also, I'm going to have to ask you to refrain from using ableist slurs in the future.

>> No.4645178

>>4645160
>Having a different opinion is crying

Your woe is me attitude is. You're exactly like the self hating liberals.

>Projecting this hard
I'm not projecting mate.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychological_projection

>Being this much of a butthurt
>butthurt

Go back to watching Chinese children's cartoons.

>> No.4645182

>>4645178
>Don't like something someone says
>YEAH WELL I HOPE THEY BEAT UP YOUR KIDS
>DON'T CALL ME RETARDED YOU'RE CRYING
>I BET YOUR A VIRGIN TO XDDDD
>I'M NOT PROJECTING
>I'M NOT BUTTHURT

Can you even fool yourself anymore?

>> No.4645183

>>4645172
So what you're saying is that we aren't equal because niggers are a less evolved ape and their blood in mestizos makes it so they can't into economics? I'm glad we agree on the basic tenants but I think you should probably stop trolling since you outed yourself a while back.

>> No.4645190

>>4645165
>I don't have a point so I'll imply I'm more intelligent and say you are upset while strawmanning

How does it never dawn on you idiots that you all immediately revert to these retarded cop-out shaming tactics? It's really sickening this actually works in the real world.

>> No.4645192 [DELETED] 

>>4645183
i'm the same way though, irl I can go on for hours spouting off Marx, Lenin, Foucault, random Anarchist flavor of the months, etc. but let's face it, real talk, Indo-Aryans are superior but I don't want to hurt people's feelings.

>> No.4645193

>>4645165
>Instead you prefer to sit on the Internet and whine about how hard your life is and how it's other people's fault and trying to make something of yourself is useless.

ironic statement, bro

>> No.4645194

>>4644060

>it's a fucking lot easier to get into a good college for a white male.

Where do you get this? I would say that it is continually more difficult for white men to compete with foreign applicants to American universities. Especially scholarships. Take a school on the border and they're handing out ivy league scholarships like candy, but as a white man I have to go full 4.0 and write an essay straight out of the Enlightenment.

>> No.4645197

>>4645168
Christ, it really is unbearable. Welcome to post-/new/ 4chan.

>> No.4645196

>>4645175
We are all equal under the law.

We are all equal under God.

There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is no male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. Galatians 3:28

It's really not a new concept. You just haven't read enough to know what equality really means, so you are swayed by commonsensical demagoguery.

>> No.4645198

>>4645194

Also, all of the extra-curriculars. That's just to compete.

>> No.4645201
File: 254 KB, 788x1161, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4645190
>Don't shame me!

>> No.4645203

>>4644060
>Like, for example, it's a fucking lot easier to get into a good college for a white male. Nobody's rights are being violated necessarily - I'm not talking about minority students beign turned away.
Yeah dude, no, you're totally right! I may not fill a quota or get special welfare or scholarships or anything, and I may have grown up living off my single mom's food stamps, but damn I had an easy time getting into Harvard with my substandard GPA and white dick. All I did was go to their online application, select "white" and "male" from the dropdown menus and BAM they gave me a secret code to get in instantly. It was a breeze, why doesn't every white man just go to Harvard since it's so easy for us?

>> No.4645204

>>4645175
>He has a point though, I mean if kings aren't elected by divine right, then why do we have a king?

>> No.4645211

>>4645204
because democracy mob rule?

>> No.4645214

>>4645211
Try being more incoherent.

>> No.4645217

heh heh, i should be working on my midterm right now but instead i'm fucking around on 4chan and when i get a bad grade i'm going to blame the white man and you will have no choice but to support me or you will be racist

>> No.4645225

>>4645217
Yeah and I'll blame brown people for my failures. See how it works? Now can we get over ourselves and acknowledge privilege does exist?

>> No.4645232

>>4645225
what does blaming others have to do with privilege? seems more like it's related to responsibility or lack thereof.

>> No.4645233

>>4645203
Privilege isn't a unilateral deal. Privilege does not exist solely on the base of race. If you are from a working class white male then your experience differs from a middle class or upper class white male experience. But your experience differs from a working class black male experience, and it definitely differs from a middle class black male experience, or a upper class black male experience.

Privilege is best understood when you can appreciate the intersection of class, race and gender in a person's life and how that shaped their experiences and relationshiips.

>> No.4645235

>>4645048
>then you need to do some reading.

What would reading help? The purpose of reading is the ideas, which you seem to lack.

Anyway, plenty of female privilege. There are more scholarships for women, more opportunities to find a mate, child custody, alimony, etc.

>> No.4645239

>>4645235
Oh wait, nevermind.

>>4645107

>> No.4645244

>>4645057
I don't disagree with that at all. I think language tricks us into treating reality as more fixed than it is.