[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 204 KB, 1400x1786, 700.hq.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4717836 No.4717836[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Please explain this guy to me. Is his stuff worth reading or is it all just hype? Alternatives? Saw some of his films but it was a bit hard to follow everything since english isn't my native language.

>> No.4717838

Watch some of his talks on youtube.

>> No.4718021

If you couldn't follow the film you won't be able to gain anything from reading. The film is ridiculously digestible.

>> No.4718170

>>4718021
But my problem was more that the films are in english and it's much more annoying to rewatch a scene than to reread a sentence. So if i would buy buy one of his books, I would make sure that it's a good translation. I have no illusions that his films are way more easier to digest than his books (content wise) but I'm willing to take that risk. Just let me know if it's a waste of time from the beginning or not.

>> No.4718235

unoriginal sad sack

>> No.4718241

His philosophy is made up garbage. give me a topic and i can create one of his great metaphors on how that topic is a reflection of human life.

>> No.4718247

>>4718241
Going for a walk in the forest.

>> No.4718269

>>4718247
The life that wanders, like a person taking a walk in the forest, is a notion that cannot exist in the modern age. The philosophy of nowness removes out appreciation of movement, true movement, from our concious. We move all the time, but do we move? no. We stay put, doing the same thing over and over, like a man lost in the forest. Our innocent walk has resulted in ours becoming a lost society.

>> No.4718272

themes in Zizek - roughly: (1) A (historical) engagement with German Idealism read through Lacan in order to (2) explore the possibility of radical politics today, by way of (3) grounding that history in a novel, materialist theory of the subject coupled with an ontology that follows from it. At any rate, I wouldn't suggest approaching Zizek's texts head on unless you are willing to spend a great deal of time familiarizing yourself with him, and more importantly, the debates among which his works are situated in. My suggestion would be to pick up Adrian Johnston's Zizek's Ontology, if you want a no holes barred introduction to Zizek. But if you're keen nonetheless, my favorite works are:

1. The Ticklish Subject, which is a working through of Zizek's understanding of the subject, which he develops via discussions of Kant and Hegel, as well as by contrasting it with other contemporary thinkers like Alain Badiou and Judith Butler.

2. The Parallax View, which more directly focuses on Zizek's ontology, which he develops in the first part, before explicating it with readings of theology (Kierkegaard in particular), contemporary brain sciences and politics.

3. The Sublime Object of Ideology, which is probably my favorite, and begins as a study on ideology, before going on to discuss a whole bunch of Lacanian concepts and how they relate to the constitution of the subject.

These books are all heavy going philosophy, but if you want the more 'politics and pop-culture' Zizek - the sort of stuff that would have probably caught your interest in the videos you've seen - check out either Violence, Living In The End Times and/or In Defense of Lost Causes (listed in order of difficulty), all of which are more or less reflections of ways of practicing politics today, with some cultural criticism and philosophy in there too.

>copy from a member from another forum I know. Follow this guy.

>> No.4718277
File: 993 KB, 250x250, himZD0M.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4718269

>> No.4718311

>>4718272
Thanks, that should get me started somehow.

>> No.4718379

>Is his stuff worth reading
Well, that's relative. Comparing to Hunger Games? Yes, probably. Comparing to any of literally hundreds of better philosophers and writers? Nope.

>> No.4718673

>>4717836
Yes, definitely
Ignore the blind contrarians