[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 993 KB, 250x250, SensibleChuckle.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4980264 No.4980264 [Reply] [Original]

Give it a shot. It's short, wouldn't take you more than half an hour to read, and I think most of you will enjoy it.

http://dansimmons.com/writing_welll/writing.htm

>> No.4980264,1 [INTERNAL] 

Thank you for sharing. Did he ever went and did something else in the Hyperion Cantos other than children of helix?

>> No.4980420

Nice article. I agree.

Thanks for the contribution OP.

MAYA ANGELOU A SHIT

>> No.4980538

If Maya was sincere or not she'd still be utter shit.

>> No.4980613

I've run into this argument before. Mainly when talking about writing ethnic characters or women. Everyone I know seems to agree that doing so is infringing on their rights somehow, that no matter how I illustrate such a story, it would unavoidably become a minstrel show on paper.

I don't know much about Dan Simmons, but this article rings true to me. But then again, I'm not black or a woman, so what the fuck DO I know?

>> No.4980658

>>4980264
I've always taken writing as an intrinsically egotistical activity in which I hold my own experience above those that will be reading it. I don't see how someone can write something and be "nice" about it, what is the point? I don't write for other people, I write for me. How could I write something good if I have to consider being politically correct? How does one start a blank page by trying to be correct?

But at the same time, how is my work any less accurate of someone else? Am I not writing how I view them? Won't my view be just as reasonable, or even more so, as someone else's of themself? What is the point of spending years in some hellhole to "get a more accurate view" of said hellhole? It might be more realistic, but how does that benefit me? Maybe people just have too much faith in writers to be authorities over anything but their own opinions.