[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 219 KB, 1098x1050, book.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5114737 No.5114737 [Reply] [Original]

Hey, /lit/. I'm at a point in existence where I've sort of become 'aware' of the truth that is meta-modernism/post-modernist perspective. Finding infinite complexities and meanings in every sort of sign, symbol, or object that I see. Is this going to cause a great deal of anxiety to me at some point in the future, or am I just going to be eternally happy?

>> No.5114745

gr8 b8 m8 t8 out of 8

>> No.5114749

lmao

Good job on the eternal happiness, all it took was reading borges and pynchon, but you did it. you broke the code. now we all are metal men

>> No.5114766

>>5114749
didnt even, man, but now i want 2, so i can circle jerk and b happy 4ever. so does this mean i never have 2 be a selfish depressed gay fag ever again/?/?
>>5114745
very meta

>> No.5114772

also how the fuck do u go about explaining post-modernism 2 people who don't realize that they are post-modern yet, and am i obligated 2?

>> No.5114775

started doing that when I was 17, dont read too much into things, usually ends in you pulling your hair out over nothing

>> No.5114781

>claiming to realize the "truth" of postmodernism
>lieing to yourself and people online about your own unhappiness
come back when you reach postmodern new sincerity, newfriend

>> No.5114783

>>5114775
so how are u sane right now, and your sentence is very ironic for me but we don't have to explain the irony because you already know why I find it ironic

>> No.5114785

>>5114772
they are more post-modern for not even knowing they are post-modern

>> No.5114787

>>5114781
lol very meta m8

>> No.5114788

Congrats on making it out of the cave. Most of us crawl back inside, ironically.

>> No.5114794

>>5114788
can u explain this further, this seems important to me. i'm assuming you mean hiding from post-modernism in order to go back to more material mediums of happiness and exhaustion but im nt sure if that's what *you* mean. and ye this is all very meta i am aware

>> No.5114800

>>5114785
but won't they be happier if they realize that they are, is there some kind of breeding of eternal happiness by being able to consciously draw humor from every perceivable angle, and being *aware* of it ( so that u can do it whenever u want)

>> No.5114815

>>5114787
it's only meta insofar as it's beyond you
>>5114788
ironic is when the metaironic don't know what irony is

>> No.5114822

the fact that you think ironically typing "u" and "2" is funny makes me think you belong on /mu/ instead. why not add some "nigga"s?

>> No.5114830

>>5114794
I'm in the same boat, man, so I'm not too sure myself. I'm only drawing a connection between self-recognition of the postmodern condition and Plato's cave, where those on the philosophic path can't interface with the people still in the cave. Plato's philosophers choose seclusion, but I think the postmodern subject, having an agility of mind, can maintain an ironic distance that allows them to remain in the cave. This might be bullshit though.

>> No.5114833

>>5114830
>postmodern subject
Wow. It's like you don't understand ancient or postmodern philosophy even then you're trying to front like you read both.

>> No.5114834

>>5114830
the cave is a lie

>> No.5114846

>>5114833
Maybe I have misunderstood, but Ive done a share of reading and im not trying to front. Explain whats wrong with my statements.

>> No.5114866

>>5114846
Plato already says that the philosopher should return to the cave to help people. Postmodernists tend not to believe in a subject much less one that has been radically transformed into a new sort of subject because of postmodernism (with rare exceptions). But I'm just a killjoy. Just saying you might find more enlightening in reading and exploring further instead of just talking about half-understood ideas online and pretending to be 2meta4reality.

>> No.5114877

>>5114846

You haven't misunderstood, that guy literally has just not become self-aware of the post modern condition. I don't think seclusion is the solution, I think educating people 'in the cave' is worth-while, for some kind of 'singularity.' The only issue is that it requires lots of time and effort, but I think you can tap into manic states through post-modernism, and that's REALLY strange, but also very useful. It seems like it's the natural progression at this point.

>> No.5114934

>>5114866
I dont recall Plato on that stance. In any case, this is the passage Im referencing implicitly:
>in that underground dwelling they will not see as well as their fellows, and will not be able to compete with them in the measurement of the shadows on the wall; there will be many jokes about the man who went on a visit to the sun and lost his eyes, and if they find anybody trying to set free and enlighten one of their number, they will put him to death, if they can catch him.
And from Apology we know Socrates, Platos ideal philosopher, turning away from politics and society. I think this social dynamic can be applied to people like OP.

> Postmodern subject
Basically, is just another way of saying "people like OP," which is self recognition of the symbolic underpinning that defines one's interaction with reality, be it derived from popular media, religion, or family values, at least that's how I've come to understand it. So yes, to be specific, this recognition of the "postmodern condition" which is the de facto condition of people today, doesn't make a new subject, their conditions are still defined by symbolic networks. Or maybe that's up to debate, because I think recognition allows personal autonomy in constructing ones symbolic frame.

>> No.5115005

>>5114934
All that passage is really saying is that once being enlightened, you cannot go back to an un-enlightened society without being ridiculed by un-enlightened people. And that sometimes an en-lightened person can fall into a crisis of sadness, and frustration, because of that ridicule. The ' they will put him to death, if they can catch him' thing is also just a meta-allegory that is similar to Jesus Christ and his crucifixion. It's a really important question that he poses, is it really worth trying to save un-enlightened people? enlightened being defined as people who are self-aware of the meta-modern/post-modern condition.

>> No.5115056

Bump.
>>>/s4s/ is a really good example of Plato's Cave. Manic meta-circlerjerking over irony.

>> No.5115101

>>5115005
If you read further on he mentions nothing of turning away. IN fact:
> And have we not decided that our rulers must neither be so uneducated as to have no fixed rule of life, nor so over-educated as to be unwilling to leave their paradise for the business of the world? We must choose out therefore the natures who are most likely to ascend to the light and knowledge of the good; but we must not allow them to remain in the region of light; they must be forced down again among the captives in the den to partake of their labours and honours.
Anyway, Socrates chose death over exile which implies something deeper than non-participation. Hopefully, as you can see from reading such a passage, this whole "postmodern" dilemma for the subject is as old as Socrates and Plato and is hence hardly anything new at all.

>> No.5115113

I was like that til like 2 months ago
feels like shit now, I want it back