[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 31 KB, 308x475, satan burger.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5241468 No.5241468[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Bizarro literature.

What do you guys think about bizarro lit? It seems interesting and I'm just getting into it.

Recommendations/ critiques/ analysis, whatever you want to say about it.

>> No.5241474

>>5241468
define bizarre.

>> No.5241508
File: 20 KB, 259x400, 11226777.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5241468
is this real life or is just fanta sea?

>> No.5241528

>>5241474
bizarrO. As in the contemporary movement of literature that combines a lot of elements of surrealism, absurdism, and usually pop sci fi and fantasy.

>> No.5241547

Seems like hot topic tier stuff to me. So wacky man, VERY random. Nice.

>> No.5241553

>>5241547
Such criticism. No reading. Just buzzwords. Ebin.

>> No.5241555

haven't explored anything from the movement yet, but my interest was aroused when i first learned of it. i'll probably read satan burger one day and see where that takes me.

>> No.5241560

>>5241468
I am intrigued.
But i fear that will be disappointed and will be something like the stuff palahniuk writes.

>> No.5241568

I think it's the literary expression of Pop Surrealism.

I think Pop Surrealism as a movement is awful. It's crowded with Ryden clones, the same muddy colors, and the same attitude as the generation of it's origin. Generation X's snark and juvenile criticism of capitalism followed by zero action is the mark of an age cohort who experienced it's benefits and showed no appreciation. Techno-Bourgeois hypocrisy is what it is. Their discontent faded off as it gave them jobs and they had to accept the realities of life. Pop Surrealism and Bizzaro are a vestigial remnant of their teenage rebellion. They think it gives them a soul, because they mistake complaint for truth and concern and enjoyment and appreciation as selfish. It's insulting to anyone who writes seriously and takes writing seriously. The people who read Bizarro have been pampered all their lives and they have never had to cling to cliches for comfort, but rather take tepid steps into what is "weird" and "strange". They neither lead nor follow and this is the manifestation of their indifference and posturing. Let them eat cake, gluten-free vegan brownies are for the actual people. It has neither the mournful, solemn beauty of genre prole trash or the gleaming responsibility of upperclass literary fiction

>> No.5241592
File: 609 KB, 732x1075, aperape.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I've never bothered to look into it because I've always suspected that the whole genre is built around coming up with absurd shock titles to get people to buy them. I'm willing to bet Hitler's Ass Children or The Haunted Vagina are a lot less entertaining (ironically or genuinely) than the ridiculous titles suggest.
Same goes for films like Sharknado et al.

>> No.5241620

>>5241553
Don't need to read trash to know trash, kiddo.

>> No.5241622

>>5241592
While they undoubtedly use shock titles, and there is undoubtedly a lot of shit published (what style/genre doesn't have it's shit) I've heard some of it is actually quite interesting. Lots of people compare it to the films of David Lynch. The Haunted Vagina, for example, takes a lot of elements from Wonderland, only rather than the portal being through a rabbit hole, it is through a vagina.

>> No.5241628

>>5241620
Actually...you do.

>> No.5241633

>>5241620
lel. stupidest post of the day goes to you

>> No.5241635

>>5241468
Nice cover

>> No.5241735

>>5241568
i'm going to dedicate my next novella to you

>> No.5241740

>>5241568
Do you feel the same way about the Beat generation? I'm not saying that they're necessarily the same, but it seems like the stuff the bizarro writers are trying to do are similar to the experimentation by, say, Gertrude Stein or Burroughs.

And I would agree with you, to some extent, about the connection to rebellion; a lot of the authors say that they were inspired in part by early punk rock. But there is also a very surreal/absurdist element to it, so I question why it would be dismissed while things by Lynch, Terry Gilliam (and others from Monty Python) and at least some of Tim Burton are considered worthy of praise or critical analysis.

>> No.5241800

>>5241740
Not him, but your idea of influential film is weak. Lynch is a bit of a hack compared to every other art film director, the pythons haven't done anything new since the 60s, and Burton made 1 movie and has repeatedly dug up it's corpse to rehash the same ideas in the exact same way. Next you'll bring up the Room.

On the topic of bizzaro lit, I agree with anon, it's a tepid approach that pales in comparison to even a third of the shit I do or think about in real life to not die of boredom and one tenth of one percent of shit going on on the internet.

>> No.5241837

>>5241800
>the pythons haven't done anything new since the 60s
what century are we talking about

>> No.5241921

>>5241800
are we /tv/ in this bitch.

talk about literature, before this gets all off topic, remember how them old writers had that sense of delivery, arrested forever in the art of rhetoric, there's none of that now.

>> No.5241935

>>5241800
Brazil was made in 1985, and is one of Gilliam's best.

And there are a number of absurdist elements in post WWII literature; Pynchon is full of synchronicity and surrealism, Catch-22 is basically defined by it, and nearly every Vonnegut book is absurd in one way or another. Bizarro seems like it could be the natural evolution of this type of literature

>> No.5242187

>>5241568
Wow, if that's not copypasta then you just might be the most pretentious idiot I have ever seen.
I'm sure the "proles" are grateful that they have dedicated bourgeois like you sticking up for the "mournful solemn beauty" of their "genre trash" as they "cling to cliches to comfort" like the doe-eyed, Dickens characters you just know they are.
If only there were more Enlightened people like you to cry for them.
;_;

>>5241800
I figured the point was that there is nothing left that can shock people.
Satan Burger was my introduction, and it remains my favorite. Both for the way it plays with language, and the naive way everyone just accepts the nonsense. In an entire book filled with zombies, living furniture, pig men, a living Earth that plays with its toys, etc, there is not a single moment of incredulity. There is nothing left that is beyond the pale.

>> No.5242656

Bizarro fiction seems to take surreal and/or offensive elements of certain writers like Burroughs to an absurd extreme. It lacks construction of prose and it's only element is just shock which is really lazy.

>> No.5242744

>>5242187
>the "proles" are grateful
The proles aren't greatful, and it's exactly why they're beautiful. They do not know of the Apollonian construction of the hierarchy of names and authorities. Instead they serve faceless and cryptic traditionals. They are the closest thing we have to understanding of an animal. Their lives are warm warrens of passion, which in the possession of the repetitive, the comforting. True history is traced through them. There is a place for them, and well there is. For they have chosen what makes them happy, which is what humans ultimate desire. We all have chosen what make us happy. Some of us like books filled with old riddles and nonsense, other people take the path of the beast, enjoying a freedom that the scholars do not, the promise of life without wasted potential. Their law is simple, if a man has taken a woman he is a man, his manliness depends on the women he takes. Their emotions are not rationalized. Their libido is the workhorse of the nation's economy, They fight our wars, man our factories. They don't have time for birth control, their passions are stronger. Their faith, their everything.

I bet all those rich kids, who do LSD, what happens to them when they pop the swirly stuff. The difference in terms of consciousness is changed. The chemicals in our brain are kept highly regulated, the slight change in them can mean something equivalent to the perception of another person, in most cases a prole.

>> No.5242780

>>5241468
its boring. got excited when say something about it and read satan burger. was very disapointed that i fell for this scam. its not a genre, its just shitty self published nonsense meant to be weird and crazy for the sake of giving the author the attention he so desperately seeks.

it sucks, nothng redeeming aout it

>> No.5242811

This thread:

>Hmmm yes I am very sophisticated unlike this childish bizzaro genre

>> No.5242812

PROFOUNDLY weird

ayy
lmao

>> No.5243070

>>5242744
Dude, whatever you are smoking, I want some of it.

>> No.5243235

I quite liked CV Hunt's "How to Kill Yourself", but it can be quite hit and miss.

>> No.5243768

Bump for a different crowd. Interested to hear some more responses on the subject

>> No.5243790

>>5243768
I see all these posts defending bizarro lit on the grounds that those criticising it are judging books by their covers.
However, I've never seen anyone give any reason why those criticisms are wrong. What's the point of these novels? What's their value? Are they as well written as the literary fiction we discuss? Do they have any philosophy they're putting forward? How's the prose?

These things market themselves as lolsorandumXD, so why is it not a valid criticism to denigrate them on those grounds?

>> No.5243801

>>5241468
I read Ass Goblins of Auschwitz and it was awful. I was hoping there would be some creativity and read that some people were comparing it to Burroughs, so I decided to look beyond the retarded title and give it a shot, but the writing was awful and it all seemed like a 12 year old kid trying to write down the "most disturbing" things he could find.

>> No.5246061

>>5241628
>>5241633

Samefag

>> No.5246074

>what do you guys think of book-length gimmicks?

Okay for undiscerning people, I suppose. Not really for me.

It's what Pinter critiques called the "put-upon". Personally, a gimmick without substance is the most boring thing on earth.

>> No.5246105

>>5246061
it's okay to be a retard bro.

>> No.5246278

I've read about a dozen of them now -not hard since some are very short- and I think they're like punk rock was in the 80s. Yes, shocking cover, got that. It's almost obligatory. But sometimes when you listen you hear something in the background that makes you think there's some talent, and over time it starts comign out and maturing, and I think that's what this is like. I think some of these guys will end up having a good body of work, but only a few. I liked Kevin Donihe most, and about half of the Mellick books I read were good (3/6), and Fistful Of Feet had such a great title, was supposed to be a spaghetti western, but I thought was a fail. Haunt really sucked.