[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 352 KB, 660x900, The_Discworld.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5754041 No.5754041 [Reply] [Original]

I was wondering if there is a recommended reading order for the Discworld books?
what does /lit/ think about them and Terry Pratchett?

>> No.5754296

>>5754041
Almost any order is good. People will say avoid certain books at the start, or suggest starting on specific ones, and they might not be wrong, but you could honestly start pretty much anywhere and get into them. I personally would recommend starting with Guards! Guards! The Watch sub-series is fantastic and Guards! Guards! introduces the tone, style and some of the 'rules' of Discworld very well.

>> No.5754303

sorry OP you have to be 18 to post here

>> No.5754309
File: 220 KB, 960x720, discworld order.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I happen to have this handy flowchart.
Continuity as a whole isn't a big deal but you want to read the subseries in order.
I'd start with the Watch books because they're the strongest and show the transformation of Ankh-Morpork over time and tie in to a lot of the other subseries.

>> No.5754488

>>5754041
I would read the first two, then just whichever ones you want.

>> No.5754499

>>5754296
>I personally would recommend starting with Guards! Guards! The Watch sub-series is fantastic and Guards! Guards! introduces the tone, style and some of the 'rules' of Discworld very well.

This, but I'll add I recommend reading Colour of Magic after Guards! Guards!

After those two, you could pretty much go anywhere in the series you want.