[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 42 KB, 604x453, fedora_but_qt_gf.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5757267 No.5757267 [Reply] [Original]

I want to get into philosophy /lit/. I know you are going to tell me to start with the Greeks, but I already know what subject I want to read about:

How should one live?

Can you help me find the philosophers who tackle this subject well? I'm hoping eventually I will develop more of an interest in philosophy in general, but this is where I really want to focus now.

>> No.5757278

>>5757267
That's broadly what we would call ethics. So you can look for that topic in general.

In terms of Greek philosophy, it's one of the central topics that concerns them, and Socrates, Plato, and Aristotle all deal with it pretty extensively, and their understanding of it has been pretty profoundly influential. In terms of more modern philosophers, again, tons of people deal with ethics and justice, the most significant probably being Kant, and then a ton of people in contemporary philosophy.

I would recommend starting with some kind of general introductory work on philosophy, and seeing what interests you. In terms of primary sources, some Socratic dialogues, some Republic, some Nichomachean Ethics, some Groundwork of the Metaphysics of Morals, those are some of the fairly standard history of philosophy readings.

>> No.5757339

thank you anon! will check those out

>> No.5757450

Seneca Seneca Seneca
Also: Epicurus and Buddha (start with the Dhammapadda)

>> No.5758477

>>5757267
>I already know what subject I want to read about: How should one live?

Of course you do. Everyone who has never studied philosophy in an academic setting comes to it for these reasons. But most philosophy has nothing to do with life wisdom, and that's fine. There really isn't a whole lot to say about life.

>> No.5758498

>>5757450
seneca is good
but you should start with the greeks (democritus, aristotle, epicurus, zeno, etc). my personal opinion: don't choose one to the exclusion of the others, get a little from each.