[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 446 KB, 1930x948, s.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5932356 No.5932356[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Every day, the evidence that 4chan is a website dedicated to make idiots into idiots that feel sophisticated is more obvious. It is full of those that will spend ten dollars on a book, spend ten minutes reading, and then spend ten more dollars on a T-shirt of said book. Then spend another ten minutes making a post about it.

The authors of /lit/ are writing for what could only be called the wrong reasons. Most don't write to share their ideas, or make sense of more complicated thoughts through large metaphors, or even to entertain and educate. No, most authors (if they even deserve the title) on /lit/ instead write for the feeling of accomplishment, the pleasure of doing something they perceive to be worthwhile or intelligent, the potential fame that comes from publishing their work, online or otherwise- a weak attempt at a slice of immortality. Reading these causes enough suffering to oneself, but contemplating how the author thought it was worthwhile to create (and more disturbing still, worthwhile to share) is almost unsettling.

My complaint isn't mostly in the ridiculous posts, or the shitposts, or the joke posts. Far worse are the embarrassing and somewhat depressing posts about how many books the original poster has read, and how many books the other posters have read. Or the threads about charts, used to get 'into' a certain genre or author or time period of literature (when really, sufficient interest will let the reader simply take a look into a book of the type they're curious about, and go where their mind takes them next!). Or possibly the worst, the bookshelf threads; here, posters are encouraged to show off their literature related purchases, normally a small amount of /lit/-approved literature coated with dust not a month after their purchase. If this board is any indicator, somebody can be considered well-read and intelligent- and convince themselves that they fall in both camps- with a large enough wallet, a large enough amount of time, and a small enough social life.

>> No.5932370

I do wonder what the point is of bragging how many books you've read in a year. If your only goal is to churn the pages as fast as you can, are you really absorbing the ideas in them?

>> No.5932373

nice meta post, i bet you thought hard about it
reported

>> No.5932377

>>5932356
>I realize now that /lit/ is filled with hipster posers who don't actually read

Just how new are you?

>> No.5932380

are you not SIR AT LONG LAST an "author of /lit/" yourself??? *moscievous smirk* touche i win checkmate totally and ubsequioiuiously ebinn

>> No.5932381

Most of the threads you have circled contain more valuable information than this piece of shit thread. For example the one about books released in 2014 alerted me to three new things that I would like to read, and it took far less effort on those posters' part than it did for you to make this thread.

>> No.5932394

>>5932356
Hey that's my thread you circled there.

>> No.5932678
File: 69 KB, 719x719, 1368819039018.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Because clearly we need to make more off-topic threads complaining.

You're doing a marvelous job you massive jackass.

>> No.5932681

>>5932356
>Every day, the evidence that 4chan is a website dedicated to make idiots into idiots that feel sophisticated is more obvious. It is full of those that will spend ten dollars on a book, spend ten minutes reading, and then spend ten more dollars on a T-shirt of said book. Then spend another ten minutes making a post about it.

Patently untrue.

Most of /lit/ would find /lit/-meme tees gauche.