[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 37 KB, 345x500, HDM.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
656842 No.656842 [Reply] [Original]

Just finished the whole series in a 4 day binge.

Anyone else read this? Thoughts?

>> No.656847

read it in 7th grade, really liked it.

>> No.656858

Loved it. Shame about the movie. It made a ton of money but the Christians got it edited and had the sequels shut down because of their perceived atheist leanings.

>> No.656863

I really liked the entire series. I thought it was beautifully written and the characters were believable (insofar as a talking armored polar bear can be believable). It was a refreshingly original book, too. Comparable to LotR, in my opinion.
I was sort of annoyed by the furor it kicked up amongst Catholics, though. Get over it, guys. The First Amendment's got you covered, too. Yes, I realize Pullman is English, but most of the complaining was happening in the States.

>> No.656868

>>656858
I figured thats what would eventually happened.
The movie itself was completely atrocious

Quite glad I didn't read it when i was younger,
whether I read in between the lines or not this series is now one of my favorite

>> No.656884

>>656858
fuck the pacing was just so fucking off in that movie

>> No.656885

Fantastic series. Top tier children's fantasy.

>> No.656892

I loved it but I felt the 3rd book was rushed and that Pullman just wanted to get the thing over with already. The battle scene was orgasm worthy though. Definitely the atheist's Narnia

>> No.656901

>>656892
Personally, the third book was my favorite.

The second book seemed out of place.

>> No.656912

>>656842
wasn't all that impressed with it. I didn't like many of the characters, several portions of the story seemed unnecessary, and things seemed to happen for no reason at all or for very stupid reasons (lol child sex saves the universe). It wasn't completely terrible, but it was very frustrating to read and I did not enjoy it.

>> No.656918

First one was quite good. Tried to be the atheist Lewis in the last two and failed which meant that they were a chore to read.

>> No.656947

the kids were only twelve years old yet seemed to understand things with incredible insight, especially Will, also the atheist propaganda is very think in the last two novels it becomes distracting and some of it is rather lame (especially Mary's reason for leaving god). Over all I thought the whole thing could have been a lot shorter and the characters could have been more interesting (many of them were little more than names to me), it was a disappointment overall.

>> No.656951

>>656947
But you loved Lee Scoresby, right?

>> No.656958

>>656951
Lee was alright, he was a hero, although I found the way he spoke to be a little annoying.

>> No.658051

Read in third grade: POLAR BEARS AND WITCHES AND ZEPPELINS YES

Read last year: METAPHYSICAL THEMES AND POLAR BEARS AND WITCHES AND ZEPPELINS YES

Better every time!

>> No.658066

Read it in grade seven, then again twice every year until I was in grade nine. It'll be a classic someday, even down to the "shitty original version of the movie" that'll be screened for kicks alongside the new, LotR-quality version.

Pullman is a skilled and insightful writer.

>> No.658068

Read them when I was about 8.
First one was good.
Second got me confused.
Third one had me in tears.