[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 213 KB, 450x254, bench-1.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
694472 No.694472 [Reply] [Original]

So I'm interested mainly in the Old Testament...
Is there a certain edition that deals with that primarily, maybe with an analysis?

>> No.694496

The Robert Alter translation, which does it as literally as possible and provides sober academic commentary. Think he only does the first 5 books, but you can look him up.

>> No.694508

I say you just read the King James Version. Get separate books for analyses.

>> No.694542

The Koran.

>> No.694548

I heard there's an entire religion based off the Old Testament. Can't remember which one it is.

>> No.694550

>>694508

>King James Version

>I'm either a fundy or a really shitty scholar

>> No.694555

Learn Hebrew, and read it as it was originally written.

>> No.694558

>>694550
Or someone who enjoys beautiful language

>> No.694572

>>694558

>implying that horrible translation could be considered beautiful

>> No.694578

>>694572
An adaptation, not a translation

>> No.694586

>>694578

No, it's a translation.

>> No.694620

>>694548
Capitalism

>> No.694639

oh for fuck's sake you should read the King James Bible if you have any interest in literature, so you'll know where lots of fucking phrases that other fucking writers have used came from.

But if you're interested in an analytical reading of the Old Fucking Testament, start with Robert Fucking Alter.

Obviously the King James Fucking Bible is a masterpiece of stylistic language and plenty of phrases that you use are derived from it. But whoever keeps posting in this thread is like the moron who read "Hamlet" and said "whoever wrote this keeps using all these old clichés".

I suggested Robert Alter based on how OP phrased his/her question. For Literary Value, yes, read the King James translation. But you will have to sludge through a hell of a lot of "And Asgad begat Bebab in the hundredth hundredth generation" and "For my brother Esau is an hairy man, while I am a smoothe man" because, well, it's the written record of a Bronze Age Nomadic Tribe.

If you're interested in commentary and analysis, and a non-literary translation of just the basic Hebrew text, try Robert Alter.

>> No.694649

Sorry, I was thinking of Nehemiah 7:16-17, which reads as follows:

"The children of Bebai, six hundredth and eight and twenty.
The children of Asgad, two thousand, three hundredth and two and twenty."

There's a sample of the Old Testament. If you still want to read it, be my guest.