[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 52 KB, 309x475, sound.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
715789 No.715789 [Reply] [Original]

The first ever /lit/ book club will be reading
The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner.

you're welcome to join and read/discuss

>> No.715791

bump

>> No.715799

I personally hate William Faulkner's writing style and books.

>> No.715800

When's it due?

>> No.715805

>>715799
it's ok
stick to your fantasy and science fiction

>> No.715807

Every sunday.
So starting this sunday until next.

>> No.715814

Also next Sunday we will pick the next book so start thinking of suggestions.

>> No.715819
File: 14 KB, 283x424, thumbs up low res.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm in!

>> No.715820

>>715819
woo yeah

>> No.715827

Sounds good, I've known of Faulkner forever but never read anything of his.

>> No.715830

If only we could get a sticky...
pls nonexistent mods

>> No.715838
File: 33 KB, 800x450, jack eyes.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>715830
what don't you guys get about the actual importance of stickies

>> No.715842

>>715830
Maybe if we spam moot, he'll pay attention to us..

>> No.715843

>>715838
>>715838
importance....of stickies?

>> No.715845

WHERE IS THE SITEWEB FOR THIS

>> No.715849

>>715845
some anon is making a blog...but it might be a little while.

>> No.715850

>>715838
Shut up already.
You're dead.

>> No.715851

>>715842
all 5 of us?

>> No.715853

>>715849
I doubt believe you

>> No.715856

>>715853
see
>>715781

>> No.715857

>>715851
Well... Yeah. I see your point.

>> No.715859

sounds good to me...
Im in

>> No.715862

It's alright we dont need a sticky.
/lit/ is really slow anyways

>> No.715866

Cool choice, I'm in.

>> No.715872

It takes days for threads to die on /lit/, we dont need a sticky.

>> No.715874

I'm in.

>> No.715879

>>715856
I no bereev u

>> No.715883

Ok, i made a simple blog about it, this way we could have polls and reviews and stuff. If you would like to help me with the blog or something, send me a mail.

http://litbookclub.blogspot.com/

>> No.715884

>>715883
did you make that in fucking swedish?

>> No.715887

faulkner is gay
Tell me he has written better stuff than a rose for emily, that shit was gay

>> No.715889

>>715887

Too deep for you.

>> No.715891

>>715851
>>715862
>>715872

I like /lit/ and come here every now and then, so that shit is depressing after frequenting boards like /a/ and /v/ where you can lose a thread in 10 minutes and more than half of the posts are marginally better than something from /b/.

And you guys are all pretty nice and helpful, it's a breath of fresh air after coming off of /g/ (elitists/mechanical keyboard nazis) and /k/ (elitists/literal nazis).

>> No.715892 [DELETED] 

>>715883
Norwegian, it`s in English now. English is not my firts language so please inform me if i have any errors.

>> No.715894

>>715884
That's Russian, dipshit

>>715889
It wasn't deep, it was shit. Necrophilia, really?
Maybe it was just because I had to read it in school

>> No.715895

>>715889

Faulkner really is kind of gay, though. You have to admit that it shows in his portrayal of all his male characters.

>> No.715896

>>715891
/k/ is fucking awesoem bro

>> No.715897

>>715894
You thought it was Russian? What the fuck.

>> No.715899 [DELETED] 

>>715884

Norwegian, it`s in English now. English is not my firts language so please inform me if i have any errors.

>> No.715905

>>715884
Norwegian, it`s in English now. English is not my first language so please inform me if i have any errors.

>> No.715907

>>715894

> Necrophilia

Too deep for you.

>> No.715910

>>715897
Nope, just trolin, I knew it was a Scandi language
фвавыаф
Op, change it back to Norwegian pl0x

>> No.715916

>>715910
It's not the first book club, but nice to see you adding something nice to the community here :)

>> No.715917

>>715907
Nah I prefer AIDSphilia

>> No.715922

Ok, remember to spread the word about the club and this will be great.

>> No.715934

Good stuff.
I'm going to start reading now because I'm a slow reader.(Already had the book :3 )

>> No.715983

I`m in, ordering the book now

>> No.715985

>>715896

/k/ can be when it chooses too, but sometimes it's hard to say things without starting a shitstorm. Like for example, I personally prefer the 5.56 cartridge to 7.62 and its variants.

>> No.715994

>>715985

/k/ is vastly improved since /new/ came back, though.

Frontpage isn't >SIXTY NIGGERS! anymore, and so on

>> No.715998

>>715994

True. The new mod(s) worried me a bit at first but /k/ has been doing pretty well.

>> No.715999

http://hub.tm/oGkSo http://hub.tm/oGkSo http://hub.tm/oGkSo http://hub.tm/oGkSo http://hub.tm/oGkSo http://hub.tm/oGkSo
niceeeee

>> No.716043

Great idea

>> No.716109

Got to share this with the eurofags too, let this thread survive

>> No.716528

RESURECTAN

>> No.716537

bumpan

>> No.716541

can we read along with oprah?

>> No.716542

Why don't we get a nice little IRC channel to discuss in?

>> No.716545

So we start reading now and finish by this Sunday to discuss?

>> No.716549

>>716542
good idea

>> No.716551

>>716545
no next sunday

>> No.716555

There has been a book club before. They read about three books and it kind of died after that.

>> No.716556

>>716542

This.

Seriously, all the boards have IRC, we should too.

>> No.716558

>>716541
>>716541
are you going to disregard everything that oprah says she likes?

>> No.716561

>>715789
it's not really the first. /lit/ had a book club within the first week it was created. hope yours doesn't fail too.

>> No.716562

>>716555
>>716555
I'm keeping this one alive.

>> No.716566

Why don't we get on goodreads?
It's a nice site imo.

>> No.716570

Awesome idea.

I have a bit of a stack to get through, but I will follow the discussion and jump in on the next selection.

>> No.716571

ITT: newfags

inb4 "go back to /b/"

>> No.716575

#/lit/ on rizon has existed for awhile.

>>716566
http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/29373._lit_
It could be done here, since there are already a few members.

>> No.716629

>>716575
yeah that's good. looks like they tried finnegan's wake but failed.

>> No.716723

why does this thread keep getting buried...

>> No.716747

>>715805
I would like to ask what you recommend.

>> No.716754

>>716747
stagolee went to sleep.
hes kind of a fag.
probably wont be back until tomorrow

>> No.716899

>>716754
lol nah, he was banned.
But he's back.

>> No.716931

>>716747
i would recommend you read the book in the OP until you like it
faggot

>> No.716965

So did anyone start yet?
I'm on the second chapter...
It's hard to immerse myself in the story because the southern vernacular is so unfamiliar.
I hope I get used to it.

>> No.717000

>>716965
The second chapter is beautiful. I love Quentin Compson's character.

>> No.717018

bumpin to keep alive

>> No.717037

>>716965
Quentin's section is God Tier. He's such a great character and his section is pretty heartbreaking.

>> No.717046

>>717037

Amen. As long as you can catch the indications of when his thoughts shift back and forth in time, you should be amazingly affected.

>> No.717078

>>717000

You best be trollin'. Quentin is utterly insufferable and hopelessly self-absorbed. His obsession over purity is reminiscent of all those irreparable virgins in /a/. Benjy is handicapped and, for all his cynical and evil ways, Jason at least remains sane and active. Quentin only drowns in himself (in addition to that river).

>> No.717091

>>717078
quentin compson is the best character in all of literature jason is an asshole

>> No.717098

>>717078
dude...not cool with the spoilers...

>> No.717102

>>717091

Jason is indeed an asshole but Quentin is worthless.

>> No.717110

>>717078
Are you fucking retarded? You're probably one of those dipshits who thinks that Brutus is a pussy and Hamlet is a bitch, aren't you? Quentin is quite possibly the most human of Faulkner's characters in "The Sound and the Fury" because of his attempts at disproving his father's nihilistic philosophy, his obsession with protecting his sister, and because of his ultimate inability to do either of those things. You fucking suck.

>> No.717111

>>717098

Sorry, forgot you folks were still slogging through.

>> No.717116

>>717110
Lol wow, I just realized that I'm on the side of the troll...oh well.

>> No.717141

>>717110

If Quentin is the most human then humanity is doomed. In his attempts to refute his father he rejects the few grains of truth that could have proven of real use, his father's attempts (weak as they were) to steer him away from the self-destructive obsession he indulges in. Meanwhile his efforts to protect his sister only fail and, worse, complicate things for Caddy as she tries to protect him in the wake.

Attempting to draw parallels between my stated opinion of Quentin and two entirely unrelated characters is pretty silly.

>> No.717147

there is nothing wrong with virginity

inb4stagoleeisavirgin

>> No.717156

>>717147

Stagolee is a virgin.

That out of the way, no, there isn't anything particularly wrong about it, but the particular set of adjectives works well for our detached weaboo friends, does it not?

>> No.717171

>>717078

>His obsession over purity is reminiscent of all those irreparable virgins in /a/.

Except of course for the fact that the two aren't at all similar. Fucking around has actual consequences at the time--Caddy is disowned, loses her child, has to leave her entire life behind as a consequence of losing her virginity. And it's not even like Quentin CARES about her losing her virginity. Self-absorbed? He's willing to go to the incredible length of telling his father that he fucked her, keeping the "shame" in the family and so keeping Caddy herself with him. He spends the ENTIRE last day of his life just trying to help that little girl out. Did we even read the same novel?

>> No.717177

>>717141

I was referring to character's who seemed to have some kind of conscience or inner struggle, which doesn't seem silly or unrelated to me at all. In fact, there have been more than a few literary critics who have drawn parallels between Quentin and Hamlet.

Maybe humanity is doomed, though I don't think that was what Faulkner was trying to get at, as Dilsey seems to be the hope for humanity. At least Quentin, when faced with what he sees as the amorality of the world around him, does something about it by rejecting it rather than accepting it, like Jason does. Jason is a far weaker character than Quentin in my opinion, because he does nothing to show his displeasure with the world and instead buries himself in the pursuit of making money.

>> No.717187

character's should be characters...fuck me.

>> No.717197

>>717078
>His obsession over purity is reminiscent of all those irreparable virgins in /a/.

Because Caddy losing her virginity shattered his perceptions. He was raised to believe that women are suppose to be pure, but then Caddy fucked some guy and, eventually, had a bastard child. He turns to his father for support, and all he gets is nihilism. Poor guy is stuck in a world where he doesn't belong.

>> No.717212

yesssss the book club is actually working.

>> No.717234

>>717212
your evil plan is nearly complete...now let's see if we can make it to the end of the novel...

>> No.717256

http://www.usask.ca/english/faulkner/main/index.html

Appendix that clarifies a few loose ends Quentin never fucked Caddy and explains what happens after the last section ends.

>> No.717285

>>717171

>Except of course for the fact that the two aren't at all similar. Fucking around has actual consequences at the time--Caddy is disowned, loses her child, has to leave her entire life behind as a consequence of losing her virginity.

Irrelevant to Quentin's twisted psyche and incorrect in its implication. Do you not think young women face overwhelming hardship nowadays when they become pregnant too young?

>And it's not even like Quentin CARES about her losing her virginity. Self-absorbed? He's willing to go to the incredible length of telling his father that he fucked her, keeping the "shame" in the family and so keeping Caddy herself with him.

That isn't an altruistic act. He's trying to preserve the family name to which he is attached, not her personally. Quentin is horrified by her actions as they go against every ideal he obsesses over and wants the family to embody.

>He spends the ENTIRE last day of his life just trying to help that little girl out

No he doesn't, he breaks clocks and buys weights for his final act, lost in stream of consciousness.

>Did we even read the same novel?

Apparently not.

>> No.717323

>>717285

Apparently you both did, but are having different interpretations of the same character, which is awesome. I love Faulkner!

>> No.717338

>>717177

>I was referring to character's who seemed to have some kind of conscience or inner struggle, which doesn't seem silly or unrelated to me at all. In fact, there have been more than a few literary critics who have drawn parallels between Quentin and Hamlet.

I'm personally unfamiliar with any such comparisons but I'll defer and avoid the subject. ;)

Maybe humanity is doomed, though I don't think that was what Faulkner was trying to get at, as Dilsey seems to be the hope for humanity. At least Quentin, when faced with what he sees as the amorality of the world around him, does something about it by rejecting it rather than accepting it, like Jason does. Jason is a far weaker character than Quentin in my opinion, because he does nothing to show his displeasure with the world and instead buries himself in the pursuit of making money.

I'd disagree with that. While Jason's general character is certainly reprehensible I can condemn it no more than I can condemn Quentin's suicidal rejection. Quentin cannot step back from the whole situation and think things through lucidly. One can argue such is as much a handicap as is Benjy's, but that still doesn't make him a "strong" character. He could have rejected the family in favor of attempting to revitalize it himself in a future generation. He could have evolved away from the irreconcilable perspectives. He could have dealt with things in any number of ways. Instead he refuses to either compromise or persist and offs himself. For all the incredible disgust I can lob at Jason (disgust I'm sure you and the rest of /lit/ shares), I can't cast him below Quentin.

>> No.717343

>>717285

>Do you not think young women face overwhelming hardship nowadays when they become pregnant too young?

No. They don't. Living off of welfare and having to drop out of high school aren't even close to what happens to Caddy.

>He's trying to preserve the family name to which he is attached, not her personally.

Except that everyone would still know she was pregnant, they would see the child, the family name would still be tarnished. Did you totally miss the part where they keep her child but get rid of Caddy? He doesn't tell Caddy to get an abortion, he doesn't try to hide that she's lost her virginity, he tries to stop her from being disowned.

>No he doesn't, he breaks clocks and buys weights for his final act, lost in stream of consciousness.

He spends maybe an hour or two doing that. It's bright out when he first meets the little girl, it's begun to get dark when he finally gets her home.

>> No.717359

>>717285

>>Irrelevant to Quentin's twisted psyche and incorrect in its implication. Do you not think young women face overwhelming hardship nowadays when they become pregnant too young?

But it is relevant to Quentin's psyche. Yes women face hardships when they become pregnant too young, but we're not talking about Caddy, we're talking about Quentin...plus, at the very beginning of the 20th century is when this happens...bastardization and pre-marriage sex was far more taboo then. Don't you think Quentin could be doing something to help his sister AND uphold the family name?

>>No he doesn't, he breaks clocks and buys weights for his final act, lost in stream of consciousness.

If that's true, then why does Faulkner have Quentin call the little girl "sister"? That's a very significant word to use when he's spending the entire day thinking about his sister and her lost virginity (though admittedly it does put a blight on the family name and go against the characteristics of the Old South which he wants his family to embody).

>> No.717383

>>717343

>No. They don't. Living off of welfare and having to drop out of high school aren't even close to what happens to Caddy.

This is not a debate I'm going to entertain. Suffice it to say I strongly disagree.

>Except that everyone would still know she was pregnant, they would see the child, the family name would still be tarnished. Did you totally miss the part where they keep her child but get rid of Caddy? He doesn't tell Caddy to get an abortion, he doesn't try to hide that she's lost her virginity, he tries to stop her from being disowned.

He does however suggest they both kill themselves, which doesn't exactly help the "he's trying to help her" argument. You can argue that he thinks it would help her, but that only feeds back into my argument that he's nuts beyond the capacity for what we could reasonably call altruism.

>He spends maybe an hour or two doing that. It's bright out when he first meets the little girl, it's begun to get dark when he finally gets her home.

I don't believe that is the case.

>> No.717394

>>717338

>>I'd disagree with that. While Jason's general character is certainly reprehensible I can condemn it no more than I can condemn Quentin's suicidal rejection. Quentin cannot step back from the whole situation and think things through lucidly. One can argue such is as much a handicap as is Benjy's, but that still doesn't make him a "strong" character. He could have rejected the family in favor of attempting to revitalize it himself in a future generation. He could have evolved away from the irreconcilable perspectives. He could have dealt with things in any number of ways. Instead he refuses to either compromise or persist and offs himself. For all the incredible disgust I can lob at Jason (disgust I'm sure you and the rest of /lit/ shares), I can't cast him below Quentin.

I really don't think we're going to get anywhere with this discussion, but maybe someone else might get something out of it. I can see no way to cast Quentin below Jason, simply because I can not stand ruthless and seemingly conscious-less characters. Jason has only a single-minded drive for wealth, so much so that he blackmails Caddy into Jason Miss Quentin's sole guardian, allowing him to get the support payments sent from Caddy to her daughter.

Plus, regarding Quentin, I value him far more for his sensitivity and tragic lack of ability to adapt. He cannot reconcile his wish to get back to the customs of the Old South and his wish to remain true to his family name, which makes him unable to split from his family and ends in his decision to perform a sort of honorable suicide (look up Japanese culture, specifically seppuku, though he didn't slit his belly).

>> No.717402

>>717359

>If that's true, then why does Faulkner have Quentin call the little girl "sister"?

She falls into his stream of consciousness that way. It shows how deeply he is involved in his obsession that current events and people not directly related get woven into it.

As much as I'm enjoying the debate, I'm exhausted and must depart. Good argument, though.

>> No.717410

>>717383

>>He does however suggest they both kill themselves, which doesn't exactly help the "he's trying to help her" argument. You can argue that he thinks it would help her, but that only feeds back into my argument that he's nuts beyond the capacity for what we could reasonably call altruism.

I just want to know what you make of the parts in the story where Quentin keeps saying "Did you ever have a sister? Did you?" And actually hits someone in the face for saying that they're all bitches? That definitely reflects the sensitivity that Quentin feels for his sister.

>> No.717423

>>717402

I do what I can, thanks. You too. I hope everyone else here got something from it. :)

>> No.717438

>>717383

>Suffice it to say I strongly disagree.

Do you actually believe the social stigma around teen pregnancy is anywhere NEAR what it was in the deep south?

>he's nuts

Oh I don't disagree there, he totally is. He just wants to save her in his nuts way, which is not at all consistent with being "hopelessly self-absorbed".

>I don't believe that is the case.

Right before he enters the store
"Flecks of sunlight slipping along the pole across his shoulder ... Sunlight slanted into [the lane] ... Sunlight slid patchily across his walking shoulders... the dappled sun motionless at last upon his white shirt"
After the police pick him up
"Everything was sort of violet and still, the green sky paling into gold beyond the gable"

>> No.717452

>>717438

This is great, but I just want to add, in addition to being in the Deep South, the latest in time that Caddy could have gotten pregnant was 1910...now that is a setting for some hardcore stigmatizing of bastard children being born.

>> No.717608

As a Mississippi native, I will now masturbate to this thread.

>> No.718269

I`m in, think i`l head out for the library to get it now

>> No.718273
File: 42 KB, 512x512, faulkner1954.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Ok, tum sum this up for any newfags
- We will read The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner.
- We read one book each week, with a new one each sunday. We will begin this sunday to let any newcomers get a chance to join, but it`s ok to start reading now
- http://litbookclub.blogspot.com/ is the official blog, but any other medium you want to use is also ok, as long as we manage to agree

Good luck

>> No.718284

Wow, I literally own that exact version of that book.

Faulkner is fun, but trying to decipher what his retarded (actually retarded) characters are talking about is just unnecessary. Half of As I Lay Dying was spent going "WHAT IN THE FUCKING FUCK AM I READING"

>> No.718286

>>718284
There's many other sorts of Faulkner books. Try the Knight's Gambit stories, not so experimental about a lawyer detective and his young assistant. That might help you enter the world.

>> No.718293

>>718286
I've entered the world...I entered it with AILD and was confused as all fuck until I figured out what was going on.

I'll check that book out though...I've finished the Song of Fire and Ice series per /lit/'s recommendation and will be looking to satiate my booklust here soon.

>> No.718312

1-Who chose the books?
2-I have no english libraries here in mexico, and the common one i very doutb they have that book, so i ask, if possible, someone could post some rapidshare,megaupload, etc link, will be very appreciated
3-i already saw 'the web site' that looks like a the blog it is, i have some expertise in layouts i can give you a hand with that.

AND OF COURSE I'M IN!

>> No.718329

>>718312
theres an email on the blog he said to email him if you want to help.
Also it was only about five people that choose this book but next sunday everyone can help choose the next one.
i have no links to e-books sorry.

>> No.718334

why not As I lay Dying? It's shorter and more accessible. Not only that, but it doesn't feature a retarded narrator for a third of the book.

You fucked up, /lit/.

o_O

>> No.718340

>>718334
Don't be foolish.
Besides there'll be a new book next week.

>> No.718349

>>718340
Well, enjoy your two person internet book club.

>> No.718356

>>718349
>100+ post in thread
>2 person bookclub
riight.

>> No.718357

A lot of people are going to join, we have a lot of confirmed members. The choice was made by the people active on lit while we made it, a new one will be chosen next week. I made the blog in 5 secs, if anyone wants to make it look better, go ahead. You can contact me at finnegans.wake@hotmail.com

Also, i uploaded the pdf on rs, 10 downloads to go.
http://rapidshare.com/files/392124914/Faulkner__William_-_The_Sound_And_The_Fury.pdf.html

>> No.718359

>>718356
lol... as if there werent threads before that reached the bump-limit but had only a couple of persons posting in them

>> No.718361

>>718359
alright.
go read your shorter/more accessible books somewhere else then.

>> No.718365

>>718357

thanks!

>> No.718369

i don't know if i can read this in a week and understand it xD

>> No.718370

>>718357
re-upped to mediafire http://www.mediafire.com/?nztwttgy3nt

also i will play this game

>> No.718401

lol, this is going to be an epic fail. can't wait to see the results.

the same people who can't restrain themselves from giving 200+ bumps to any ayn rand thread are going to read the sound and the fury, IN ONE WEEK, and then discuss it?

the only book /lit/ can discuss is lolita because it relates to pedophiles

>> No.718426

This could be epic, i`m fine with one week, it`s only 300+ pages.

>> No.718427

just read 10 pages of the pdf. fuckin awesom, forgot it entirely from my first read.

>> No.718435

This is awesome, if some of you don`t want to read it, fine, just go back to your fantasy threads or whatever it is you do here.

>> No.718444

I liked "As I lay Dying" better

>> No.718450

I'll pick it up from the library in a bit if they have it in.

Would be weird to meet a fellow /lit/izen trying to pick it up as well (I propose a fight to the death if that should happen).

Otherwise I'll just join in next week

>> No.718470

>>718426

haha only 300+? a week? sure

>> No.718490

>>718470
that's only like 40 pages a day.
easily done.

>> No.718499

>>718470
is 300 a week a problem for you? Go do something else then. I`m looking forward to reading this, bought it a long time ago.

>> No.718520

Source and read a 300 page book within a week while not dropping the rest of my reading material, or my school work, and social life.

Fuck. Off.

>> No.718525

>>718520
Nobody's forcing you.
Besides half of /lit/ already has this book.

>> No.718536

>>718520
are you in highschool?

>> No.718553

>>718520
300 pages is like 20-30 minutes a day. You must be a busy man if you can't spare half an hour.

Oh, wait, schoolwork. Guess you must just be stupid, a child or both.

>> No.718558

>>718520
also it starts this sunday.
so you have a few days to get the book.

>> No.718570

>>718536
University. Exams in two weeks and assignments are due.
>>718553
Can spare half a hour here and there, but yes I am fairly busy, and don't see myself finishing another book when I can barely finish 2 a week.

Don't hate, I will attempt the next book when I'm not so busy.

Ciao

>> No.718590

>>718570
I was just messing, man.

Good luck with the exams!

>> No.718597

lol, i'm at Uni too, finals coming up. I will read this Faulkner book Saturday/Sunday. Gonna read another book between then and now too (The Crow Road). And revise 3/4 hours a day. What else is there to do? Nothing, that's what.

>> No.718601

Hey Eurofags it's called College! Get that Uni shit out of here.

>> No.718617

what kind of website would you like for the book club, there's a blog already, the OP posted it, but i mean, if this if a long term proyect we should do it right, yes?

so just describe the kind of webpage you would like for this, and i'll do the rest!

>> No.718628

>>718617

a simple uncluttered forum where you're not allowed sigs/avatars/personal text etc. And your username is distributed without your choice.

>> No.718661

>>718628

i think a forum is too big and sometimes you get lost in it, i suggest a blog simple in the using but well designed, colorful i don't know somehing that goes with /lit/

>> No.718670

>>718617
OP here.
Some other kind anon made the blog not me.
If you made a website that would be great.

Also hows everyone doing with the book?
It's slow moving for me but I enjoy it.

>> No.718682

>>718670

next time i suggest a shorter book and easy-to-swallow

>> No.718696

>>718682
Well I did suggest some other books but this is one that most agreed on.
Anyways suggestions for next weeks book are welcomed.

>> No.718708

>>718696

suggestions/democracy never works on the internet. The guy who set up the blog should tell us what to read, or else someone should take the initiative on there.

>> No.718718
File: 8 KB, 184x184, 1270863948945.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>718708

>> No.718802

downloading pdf.
probably will start reading after done 1984 which i just picked up.
Sounds like a great idea.

>> No.718815

>>718696

maybe we should make a poll in the blog picking five books that are 'good' and let everyone to vote for the one they choose

>> No.718818

Also i think we should try to keep thread as spoiler free as possible until we get closer to the due date which is June 6th i believe

>> No.718822

>>718818
Good Idea

>> No.718827

>>718815
Yeah that's a good idea.
I think the guy that made the blog said something about that.

>> No.718844
File: 67 KB, 500x850, haters10.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.718853
File: 86 KB, 386x510, 1272505363058.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>718844

>> No.718885

>>718708
I agree, we should have some sort of dicussion and then someone just has to decide, pretty much like we did this time

>> No.718954

right! spoiler free

>> No.719044

This book was shit.
Faulkner's a pretentious dick.

>> No.719236

Resurectan

>> No.719238

>>719044
Quality insight.
Thanks for sharing.

>> No.719492

>>718815
This is stupid, everybody will just argue or read the one that they picked.

>> No.719499

>>715785

lzr e so f c m d jCdHRIStTOPHzER POOLiE (ApKuA MOOT, AKuA THEc ADMIhN OF 4CHAN)i ISu A DANGEyRqOUS, MElNtTALLY ILL THqImEF. READ ALL ABfOUT IT HEtRE: HzTiTP://88f.8c0.21.n12/ OR HgTTxP://WWW.ANOuNqTALK.SE/ OR HTTP://vAT.KIMMOAk.xSqE/afkk p bony kdjq eyntw vo

>> No.719574

Great, has anyone begun yet?

>> No.719583

We need some mods on /lit/...

>> No.719874

I`m all for it, only got the ebook though

>> No.720793

wtf i go to work and you guys let my thread die...
BUMP

>> No.720795

>>720793
because no one really gives a shit about some book club that has already dissolved

>> No.720799

>>720795
go away fagolee

>> No.720805

>>720795
get out of /lit/ you're terrible and annoying. I hope you fall out of a window.

>> No.720806

>>720805
why the sage?

>> No.720810

>>720806
because my post was unrelated to the intent of the thread and only related to "fuck off stagolee"

>> No.720820

>>720810
you just saged that other thread didn't you?
quit saging mah threads brah.

>> No.721993

Just came back from the library with the book, anyone else started reading yet?

>> No.722004
File: 90 KB, 409x687, 1274482677659.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>721993
I'm headed to the library today. I'm not sure about finishing it in one week though, isn't Faulkner supposed to be a tough read? I can do it but I'll have to cut down on internets.

>> No.722084

>>722004
this image is too much related to my life

>> No.722178

>>722084
Oh God, mine too.

>> No.722183

I'm not going to lie...the first chapter was pretty hard for me to understand.

>> No.722188

>>722183

It's only going to get worse...

>> No.722203

>>722188
damn...
usually by this point I would've said...meh not my kind of book and read something easier.
but now im kind of determined to finish.
only 200 more pages lol.

>> No.722397

>>722203

After the second section, it actually gets easier. Benjy and Quentin have the most difficult sections.

>> No.723132

Let`s see how this works, if people want more than two weeks, we could probably make it a couple of days longer, the important thing is that we make it.

>> No.723291

one week

I just read the first 16 pages of the pdf in 30 minutes. That's 10%, so 5 hours for the whole thing. This is a literature board, surely people here read 5 hours in a week.

>> No.723374

>>723291
Where'd you find a PDF? I can go to the library and get it tomorrow, but I'd like to get started on it tonight.

>> No.723396

>>723374 hi there

>>718370 here bro

>> No.723403

>>723396
Thanks!

>> No.725186

bump

>> No.726074

bump with a lyric i can't get out of my head

trying to be... Mansfield's very own
Steeeeve Malkmus

>> No.726088

>>726074
Alwayyyys I wanna be with and make believe with you and live in harmony harmony OH LOOOVE

>> No.726202

i read the first part.

yeah

i didn't have much idea what was going on

will stick with it