[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 2.45 MB, 1620x2820, Belvedere Torso.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7373503 No.7373503[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

How do I unite my Christian values with my elitist beliefs /lit/?

>> No.7373505

>>7373503
You can't. Christianity is ultimately slave morality.

>> No.7373514

Take pride in your humility

>> No.7373532
File: 51 KB, 370x370, _tips_fedora__by_gabplaza-d7c64yc.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7373505
>Christianity is ultimately slave morality

>> No.7373546

>>7373503
You can't. You will have to give up one or the other. Elitism is idolatry of the most fit. And Christianity demands that you throw away your idols for one cannot serve two masters.

>> No.7373556

>>7373503
/lit/ - literature

>> No.7373586

>>7373546
What if I do follow Christ, but can see that it is neither healthy, natural nor right that men are forsaking their place in the order of things and are currently exercising a dangerous amount of freedom?

>> No.7373594

in a truly egalitarian society, everyone is elite

there you go OP, you're welcome. you gotta become a Christian commie though

>> No.7373595

>>7373586
Rebuke them for their evil ways, but remain humble in your heart – for the best riposte that you can muster against the evils of the age is a life virtuously lived in humility, charity and sacrifice.

>> No.7373607

>>7373594
Sounds dangerously like heresy, to summon men to build Jerusalem on earth before the second coming.
>>7373595
I guess that this is my only option then.

>> No.7374018

Become a catholic...

>> No.7374021

>>7373503
Become pope.

>> No.7374028

you must change your life

>> No.7374065

>>7373503
Read a bunch of Aristotle. Then read Aquinas. Then read my namesake and embrace the call of virtue.

>> No.7374451

>>7373595
Or, turn the other cheek and judge not

>> No.7374785

>>7373503
christianity and elitism are super compatible- ask any christian ever about their religion.

>> No.7374825

>>7374451
Judge not, but this is not the same as saying that all is permitted, and that errors should not be corrected. Christ alone is allowed to judge, and we are permitted to align ourselves with his judgments where behavior is concerned.

>> No.7374833

Don't you know that Christianity principles support hypocrisy? All will be forgiven no matter what you do.

>> No.7374845

>>7373503
stop being elitist

>> No.7374907

I wish it were my job to chisel balls all day. Just makin stones outta stones. Sounds good.

>> No.7374919

>>7373503
I don't believe most religious people truly believe in God and the afterlife. Anyone who did would refuse to function as a normal member of society because such a concept would be absurd in view of eternity.

Can I ask the religious folks on /lit/ why you don't go join a monastery and dedicate your life to the contemplation of the divine? Are you just a coward?

>> No.7374946

>>7373532
This.

Christianity is slave morality like Nietzschean philosophy is slave philosophy.

Where Christianity has 'render unto Caeser' and 'those rich guys are missing out, like, they don't even fucking know' Nietzsche writes pages about how learning/teaching should be reformed, not to mention the idea of the overman which combines the science of evolution with the unscientific generalising of subjective values.

Thus, a literal God, with the biggest, most efficient mind and body, if living amongst retards who don't recognise his divinity, will eventually be forced to conclude that the reason they can't climb the social ladder is because they're an underman.

What Jesus actually taught, as someone who was mostly illiterate teaching other illiterates, and thus anything written about him should be read with scepticism, is how to be content.

Jesus was teaching what the Buddha taught: The source of suffering and how to avoid it. So when he says 'judge not lest ye be judged' what he's actually saying is 'most people are nice, so if you feel like you're always being judged maybe it's 'cause you're the one who's kind of an asshole?'

Jesus and Buddha both taught psychological projection before the concept even existed, they understood, just through understanding themselves, that if you are the worst, you expect the worst from others, and vice versa. That the best way to deal with a cruel existence is to just relax and take it as it comes, without judgment and by extension without suffering.

>> No.7374953

>>7374946
this is bad
i can't identify a coherent thought

>> No.7374993

>>7374953
I agree, maybe that anon has some mental problems?

>> No.7375009

>>7373503
Jehovah's Witnesses have some pretty elitist heirarchies.

First off, you only take communion if you believe you are among the 144,000 who will be saved in the final days. Keep in mind this 144,000 includes the apostles, Moses and all other sorts of righteous people from history. By choosing to take communion, you're being an elitist fuck.

There is a strict hierarchy of Elders in each Kingdom Hall. As you gain the respect of your local hall, and once you have a wife and children, you can become an Elder. As an Elder, you'll get to do all sorts of fucked up shit, like kicking apostates out of your local hall, telling their family members that they can no longer speak to them, intervening the martial affairs of lesser men in your hall, etc. Essentially, you and a group of old men, will get to decide things that you have no business fucking with. Pretty damn elitist.

Also, JWs think the United Nations is Satan, they aren't allowed to vote or serve in the military. So you're pretty fucking radical and elitist when it comes to interacting with your fellow citizens.

>> No.7375013

>>7375009
oh, also you don't celebrate christmas or your own birthday, because that's pagan bullshit. Pretty elitist right?

Also, all other so called "christians" are really just heretic apostates, you can't have anything to do with other christians because they're evil and you're the only true christians that exist.

>> No.7375015

>>7374946
?

Can you say what you want to say cogently this time?

>> No.7375051
File: 92 KB, 406x481, St-Paul-ephesus.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7374919
Because we need to convert as many people as possible. Decent Christians don't actually want anyone in Hell, but there's a real danger of non-Christians ending up there. Thus the Great Commission: "Go, therefore, and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit." It's essentially a rescue mission. Save the wicked from themselves.

>> No.7375057

>>7374919
I'm religious. The reason I don't join a monastery is because monasticism is forbidden in my religion. I was interested in religious studies and perhaps doing it formally but I decided against it and instead go into science because I'm also interested in that.

I read that literature in my spare time.

I try my best to devote myself to God but I'm too weak and too sinful without His help.

>> No.7375064

>>7375051
>Because we need to convert as many people as possible.

So why aren't you? Why aren't you trying to convert me? Or why are you posting on an internet forum instead of evangelising on the streets?

>>7375057
I mean "join a monastery" in a metaphorical sense. Dedicating your life to God. 99% of people who claim to believe in God compartmentalise it from their existence in society. Why? I don't understand as an atheist why would care one jot about the pressures of this world if they truly believe in an eternal one to come.

>> No.7375074

>>7375064
I try to dedicate my life to God by treating others the way He commands, reading literature from religious scholars, His Word, and other academic literature dealing with history and religion.

I don't think people who truly believe in God compartmentalize it from their existence. Trying not to swear or lie are tiny ways to act in God's way, for example, that doesn't require continual meditation or asceticism.

The West has seen the rise of spirituality without religion in recent times so it may seem this way to you.

>> No.7375135

>>7374953
>>7374993
>>7375015
>i[sic] can't identify a coherent thought
>I agree[sic], maybe that anon has some mental problems?
>Can you say what you want to say cogently this time?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect

Here's a breakdown then.

1. The idea that Christianity promotes a slave mindset comes from Nietzsche.

2. Nietzsche himself, being that he worked within the constraints of the system and wasn't a complete anarchist, could, by his own logic, be seen as promoting a slave mindset.

3. The arguments made toward the idea that Nietzschean philosophy promotes a slave mindset would undoubtedly include references to the overman and his views on education reform.

4. The ACTUAL teachings of Christ, the ones that most Christians in the 21st century derive solace from, would almost certainly have been completely distinct from his teachings as they are presented in the bible.

5. Based on the accounts in the Bible, as well as pseudo-historical accounts from the time, apocrypha, and what we've learned recently through positive psychology it is likely that Jesus would simply have been teaching a basic, middle-eastern version of Buddhism.

>Thus, a literal God, with the biggest, most efficient mind and body, if living amongst retards who don't recognise his divinity, will eventually be forced to conclude that the reason they can't climb the social ladder is because they're an underman.

More relevant than I expected it to be.

>> No.7375138

>>7375135
>4. The ACTUAL teachings of Christ, the ones that most Christians in the 21st century derive solace from, would almost certainly have been completely distinct from his teachings as they are presented in the bible.
Why do you think that Christians today follow the actual teachings of Christ? The trinity seems to be a later addition and there have been many cultural add-ins. Ecumenical councils came first with the one in Nicea to canonize Christianity much later after Jesus.

>> No.7375142

>>7375138
>Why do you think that Christians today follow the actual teachings of Christ?

I said most.

There are lot of evangelists who seem to think Christ taught 'blessed are the loud and obnoxious' and 'it's as easy for a rich man to get into heaven as it is to prick a Camel's hump with a needle'. But they're a very vocal minority.

Most Christians are living in Western democracies where they have access to an abundance of education. If they have any interest in finding meaning, they will expand beyond basic Christian dogma and, predictably, into other religions (Buddhism being a popular one) and fields of psychology.

What we're left with is a secular theology that is just Christian enough for people to still identify themselves as Christians. Having studied (admittedly, only Australian) Christian communities I am led to the conclusion that this describes MOST Christians.

>> No.7375143

>>7375138
The trinity and all that stuff, that's a little esoteric, I don't think MOST Christians remember that shit past primary school.

>> No.7375148

>>7375142
>>7375143
This sounds like a historically-revisionist, godless Christianity.

>> No.7375154

>>7375148
Probably is.

The fact is unless you're a complete fucking tool and ignoramus you're going to start doubting the truth of Christianity the second you're exposed to pluralism.

I feel like religion shouldn't be so dogmatic, it should be free-flowing. I feel like as soon as Spinoza published God and Nature that should've been the beginning of Christianity being associated with pantheism.

>> No.7375155

>>7375154
God or Nature*

>> No.7375221

>>7375154
>religion should be free-flowing
you don't see this as dogmatism? you don't you you're predisposed to prefer your so called 'pluralism'?

>> No.7375424

>>7374919
Catholic church has many callings. God calls everyone in a different way, some are called to have families, some to devote themselves to their studies, some to literature, some to priesthood.
You can devote your work and pray in different ways.

>> No.7375431

replace "better" with "holy", "pious", etc

>>>/his/

>> No.7375439

>>7373503
This thread has proven that Christianity is slave morality. You just can't unite the two.

>> No.7375462

>>7375221
Free flowing is the rejection of dogma. Unless you are pedantic enough to call free choice a dogma.

>> No.7375468

>>7373503
It's really hard since pride and vanity are considered sins and you really can't be elitist without them.

Still, this is not an excuse to be a lazy faggot, You can work out and study as much as you want, just remember what is your ultimate aim, that is, God.