[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 32 KB, 450x592, 1272312597039.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
788577 No.788577 [Reply] [Original]

Dear e/lit/ists, how many books have you read/bought based on recommendations by other fellow /lit/erates?

I'd say around 20 and the last two I got were Jude the Obscure and The Bell Jar thanks to that thread about really depressing books.

Feel free to list whatever you read or bought last.

>> No.788592

zero

I don't need recommendations. I can think for myself, unlike the rest of /lit/, who apparently cant think for themselves.

>> No.788601

Reading books recommended by /lit/ is like playing video games recommend by /v/.

One out of 100 will be great, the rest will be total garbage.

>> No.788607

I read Atlas Shrugged because of /lit/.
Also Starship Troopers and Stranger in a Strange Land.

>> No.788618

>>788601
Well, I've read around 15 of those 20 books and they were all pretty good.

>> No.788622

>>788592
>I only read books nobody else has ever read

>> No.788626

I think /lit/ gives good recommendations most of the time.

>> No.788951
File: 211 KB, 1224x918, popeye.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'd say /lit/'s main strength is good book recommendations.

Anytime I see someone come here to discuss a book, it, 99% of the time, ends in 10-20 posts or with a plethora of sages with some variation of the comment, "Do your own homework."

However, just asking the other night for poetry in the same vein as Walt Whitman garnered me a very good list of poets I'm highly enjoying. Same on the novel front (I *love* ASOIAF)

>> No.788958 [DELETED] 

>>788575

ImMediatELY rEmoVe YOuR IlLegal ClONe TINy.4cHAn.ORg FRoM YoUR Server, CHRiStOPhER "scUMBag THief" POoL aR-BEAr, and REDIReCT it (ANd THE stOlEn At dOMaiN) To WwW.AnoNtaLK.sE. thEN SeNd sySop USd $567,440 in cOmpensAtiON aND PUT A PERMANEnt tExT ad fOr AT ON tHe ENtiRe SiTe OF 4chan anD WE wIll be even. ShOuld you refUSE, YOu wILL bE sUED for $45,677 pER nAno SEcOnd. iF tHe peRson REaDing tHiS IS noT "mooT", E-MaIL HIM At Moot@4cHAn.ORg aND PUt pREssURe on HIm TO SEt thIngS RighT. thaNK YoU FoR LiSteniNg. snwbzrbpnfnvjvhlxetvfqo

>> No.788966

I tend to check out recommendations in genres I like. Then if I like the book I'll read more by the same author. So as a result of that I've probably read dozens of books due to /lit/.

>> No.789172
File: 98 KB, 720x419, ass laugh.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

One was The Road. That was very good.

The other was Old Man's War. That sucked, even for sci-fi.

>> No.789194

I have a bigger list on amazon because of /lit/, but none bought yet. Camus and others are in there because of this board, but I have so many books that I haven't read yet that they have to wait.

>> No.789226

I had about 10 books before I started browsing /lit/

After countless recommendation threads, I know have probably over 100. Thank the lawd for used book stores.

>> No.789233

Quite a few actually.

I never really read much sci fi or fantasy, but they're pretty popular here, so I picked up A Game of Thrones, Foundation and Stranger in a Strange Land.

Also picked up House of Leaves, The Road and John Dies at the End.

Enjoying most of them.

>> No.789281

i was buying some books the other day and i was crouched down at the shelf looking for camus books, took the plague, stood up, and right at eye level was bulgakov's master and margarita. i remember /lit/ lauding it so i bought it on a whim. still have yet to read it.

>> No.789295

I'm in love with Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. Amazing novel. And I want to read Finnegans Wake by James Joyce, but that's supposedly one of the most difficult books in the English language, sooooo...

>> No.789309

>>789281
I'm currently reading The Master and Margarita too, also by /lit/'s rcommendation (Russian lit guide pic) and so far (150 pages) I can say it's awesome.

>> No.789387

>>789309
awesome; i'm looking forward to reading it.