[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 148 KB, 456x599, 1263637772556.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
823076 No.823076 [Reply] [Original]

Hey, /lit/.
I'm going into my junior year in college, so it's time for me to declare a major and start on upper division classes.
The only thing I have any passion for is philosophy. I've already done a number of upper division philosophy classes, and I absolutely loved them. I know people generally say that you can't do anything with a philosophy degree, but I honestly don't know what else to do. I'm probably going to double major Philosophy alongside Journalism, giving myself an outlet for writing, what I'd eventually like to do for a living. I figure I can do whatever a Journalism/Philosophy degree can net me while I work on writing fiction and hope to get published. Is this a horrible idea or should I stick to my guns?

>> No.823118

Stick to your guns? What guns? You said you have no other ideas for what to do.
I'd say just go for what you love to do. If you're resourceful, you can find work. So many people in this world have degrees, and their jobs do not directly involve what they studied in school. The degree shows, most of all, an ability not simply to persevere, but to do so mentally in a conditioned setting that required the ability to learn and respond to superiors as to what you've absorbed as well as expand upon what you've absorbed to create better or more accurate results. The combination of all of these things results in somebody who has the acumen to perform adequately in a job that is more mentally challenging than what the average high school graduate can do.

>> No.823141

>>823118
That was a much better responce than I hoped for, thank you.

>> No.823147

>>823076

I teach philosophy, and I hear this question all the fucking time. Two thoughts.

1) Believe it or not, an undergraduate degree in philosophy is perfectly fine. People seem to think that if you get "something practical," like a business degree, you're going to be able to get a job and make tons of money. This is patently false. For almost any professional job these days, you're going to need a graduate degree; as such, your undergraduate degree isn't as important as people seem to think (unless you want to specialize in something very specific and need a smooth road all the way from start to finish). I've known plenty of philosophy undergraduates who've gone to graduate school for any number of things. As an undergraduate, you should major in what interests you, learn as much as you can, make connections if you can, and get good grades. Then do well on the GRE when you apply to graduate school. Don't listen to faggots who want you to think that if you don't major in something you hate that you're going to fail in life.

2) Life is short; do what you love and love something good.

>> No.823197

You're becoming a junior and haven't declared a major? Unless you've been sampling upper division classes, enjoy the 5 year plan.

>> No.823201

>>823197
At many reserach universities they don't ALLOW you to declare a major until the end of your sophomore year.

>> No.823214

>>823147
Notice how this includes going to graduate school.

This is very important.

>> No.823224

OP here, I'm certainly not opposed to the idea of graduate school, but what could I do that still fits into my interests?
What I mean is, having already majored in journalism and philosophy, what would be some of the logical choices for post grad stuff?

>> No.823228

>>823214

To be frank, unless you've got excellent connections, have insanely good luck, or intend to do nothing with your life, then you should go to graduate school. Even if either or both of the first two conditions apply, it's still a good idea. I hate to say it, but an undergraduate degree is the new high school diploma.

>> No.823232

>>823224

Your interests will develop as you take major courses and I'm sure you'll have a better idea by the time you graduate. I couldn't really say, although if you're double majoring in journalism and philosophy, there's plenty of options.

>> No.823251

My mother won't let me take philosophy because of this reason OP, even though it's the only thing I want to do.

>> No.823264

>>823251
You're an adult. Do it.

>> No.823274

>>823264
>>823264
How do you know I am an adult?

inb4 underage b&

>> No.823483

q: what did the philosophy major say to the engineering student?

a: you want fries with that?