[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 30 KB, 288x475, slaughterhouse-five.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
848211 No.848211 [Reply] [Original]

I never read, /lit/. Time to remedy this. Tomorrow, I shall visit the library and rent books and shit. What would be considered essential? Preferably something from 1950+.

Thinking pic related.

btw, I realise this is probably a much abused question

>> No.848214

>> No.848217

>>848214
One step ahead of you, my man. That's actually one of the few books I've read. Really liked it, too.

>> No.848221

essential classics

Catch-22 - Joseph Heller
The Old Man and the Sea- Ernest Hemingway
A Farewell to Arms- Ernest Hemingway
Brave New World- Aldous Huxley
The Great Gatsby- F. Scott Fitzgerald
The Catcher in the Rye- J.D. Salinger
Of Mice and Men- John Steinbeck
Grape of Wrath- John Steinbeck
Fahrenheit 451- Ray Bradbury

Even if you don't like all these books, at least reading them will get you well versed in "the classics"

>> No.848222

>>848217
have you read brave new world?

1984 and Brave New World were the first two I read. It's a bit High-School-Essay, but I thought they went well together, having read them in direct succession.

Mind you, I haven't read much, myself.

>> No.848237

"A Clockwork Orange" was pretty awesome also.

>> No.848255

>>848221
>>848222
Brave New World will definitely make an appearance, it seems. Thanks.

Fahrenheit 451 sounds interesting, too. Will probably grab that as well.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

>> No.848310

Don't preemptively ruin your opinion of Hemingway by reading his war novels, read The Sun also Rises.

Read Raymond Chandler, it's easy reading yet awesome. The Big Sleep is a good start.

Asimov's short stories are good, as is his Foundation series, you could try some of that. Or some Philip K. Dick.

>> No.848485

Slaughterhouse Five would hve to be one of them, Im currently in the process of reading it. Also God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater, Cat's Cradle and The Sirens of Titan

>> No.848489
File: 151 KB, 317x240, robotnik.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

/lit/ - VONNEGUT VONNEGUT VONNEGUT VONNEGUT VONNEGUT VONNEGUT VONNEGUT VONNEGUT VONNEGUT VONNEGUT VONNEGUT VONNEGUT VONNEGUT VONNEGUT VONNEGUT VONNEGUT VONNEGUT VONNEGUT VONNEGUT VONNEGUT VONNEGUT VONNEGUT VONNEGUT VONNEGUT VONNEGUT VONNEGUT VONNEGUT VONNEGUT VONNEGUT VONNEGUT VONNEGUT VONNEGUT VONNEGUT VONNEGUT VONNEGUT VONNEGUT VONNEGUT VONNEGUT VONNEGUT VONNEGUT VONNEGUT VONNEGUT VONNEGUT VONNEGUT VONNEGUT VONNEGUT VONNEGUT VONNEGUT VONNEGUT VONNEGUT VONNEGUT VONNEGUT VONNEGUT VONNEGUT VONNEGUT VONNEGUT

>> No.848490

This one isn't really a 'classic' as far as I know compared to something like 1984. But Pat Frank's 'Alas, Babylon' might be a good read; book was first published in 1959.

>> No.848513

>>848485
This but with Breakfast of Champions.

>> No.848532

One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich